PDA

View Full Version : Scottish meet Orkney?

The laird
11-04-2015, 21:56
Up at St. Andrews just now and been talking with merv(Brandyman) and we reckon a meet is possible in beautiful Orkney..haggis ,black pudding and live music.he also does conjuring and magic and willing to amaze us!
I'm looking towards late summer early autumn .please look at pentland ferries for a guide with a chance of group discount for the crossing .
I'm looking for feedback before going any further.
Only nice replies please as we know how things can pan ooot:)
UPDATE!
With the increased activities with other meetings around the proposed time for this trip to Orkney,I am suggesting we now shift this meeting to a spring gathering in 2016.the dates I am looking at would be either the last week in March or the first week in April
Regards Gordon

Taffs
12-04-2015, 00:15
I'm going to be up shetland / Orkney for three weeks in July too early I guess for this?

john t
12-04-2015, 05:23
Already booked leave from work for this year, so would be def interested in a meet next year. Orkney's, Shetlands, and Iceland are all my hitlist.!

jt

kensowerby
12-04-2015, 08:04
Hi.
Would be interested if you can sort out an approx date, July and August not possible for us.
we were up in the top of Scotland and managed a day trip, all very interesting and wet our appetite to go back, so much to see, the bus trip was very good but not long enough, you need plenty of time to have a good look round the places of interest.
Happy travels and kind regards Ken. :wave:

Wooie1958
12-04-2015, 08:20
When using the Pentland ferry service from Gills Bay people need to be aware that the majority of motorhomes need to reverse onto the ferry.

This also applies at the other end in St. Margarets Hope when coming back.

It isn`t a problem for most people but some have great difficulty doing it and will go to great lengths to avoid it.

tribute11
12-04-2015, 10:05
When using the Pentland ferry service from Gills Bay people need to be aware that the majority of motorhomes need to reverse onto the ferry.

This also applies at the other end in St. Margarets Hope when coming back.

It isn`t a problem for most people but some have great difficulty doing it and will go to great lengths to avoid it.
For anyone who is not comfortable doing this, the ferry staff will oblige and reverse on for you. The staff are all very helpful and friendly, making this crossing, for us, the best option

Deleted user 21925
13-04-2015, 18:43
I'd be up for this Gordon.

The laird
13-04-2015, 19:41
Rob I think we're gonna have to adopt you ,you're becoming more Scottish !
Will get my thinking hat on and try n get some plan put together.merv(Brandyman) has wetted my appetite by suggesting some great ideas inc music etc.ive never been there and fancy it strongly.waiting to see how others feel about it.
Will let this run but think it'll be after summer beginning autumn?

peanutty
20-04-2015, 00:25
Orkney is a dream for me too, so I'll keep a look out for intended dates. Thanks :D

channa
20-04-2015, 07:28
I'm lucky enough to have visited Orkney it is simply stunning.!!! ( not in the camper)

I can't commit to anything at the moment but I think the location for a meet is cracking. Loads to see on the Island.

Channa

carol
20-04-2015, 08:08
Interested depending on when....

alan1958
20-04-2015, 08:15
Yip up for this just need some dates
Alan & Liz

andy63
20-04-2015, 14:57
Will watch for dates and if I'm around will try and make it..
Ta andy

molly 2
20-04-2015, 16:49
Will watch this space, I am a maybe.

bongovanman
20-04-2015, 19:00
id also be interested depending on dates. stayed in stromness last year for a week and was well worth the journey ))

molly 2
02-06-2015, 15:35
Any info on Orkney meet yet still watching. Bazz

Wind Dancer
04-06-2015, 00:14
Definitely interested here too! September good for me, also October.

Was fortunate to have spent a couple of weeks in Orkney two years ago, but my van was in dry dock having the engine rebuilt - so never had the joy of waking up at any of the many beautiful locations.

phillybarbour
04-06-2015, 06:29
Never been to any meets, but would love to consider this one but its all date dependant. I look forward to seeing any suggested dates if it happens. Ferry price for our 9m van seems high, how do they charge more than double the 6m van price for a 9m van? Always expect to pay more but not a massively higher rate per metre.

Jimhunterj4
04-06-2015, 07:22
What is the price out of curiosity? Mines is 7.5 I think

Wooie1958
04-06-2015, 07:28
What is the price out of curiosity? Mines is 7.5 I think

Pentland Ferries from Gills Bay to St. Margarets Hope is £85 each way with 2 adults, more if kids over 5 go as well.

Tariff - Pentland Ferries - Official site of Orkney car ferry - Crossing the Pentland Firth in one hour (http://www.pentlandferries.co.uk/tariff.asp)

You`ll be OK Jim but people need to be aware that the majority of motorhomes have to be reversed onto the ferry at both ends.

If this is a problem the staff will help.

P.S.

If anyone is thinking of pulling a fast one the guy who checks / loads you has a measuring wheel and does use it.

klaatu
04-06-2015, 08:45
Orkney residents are able to register for a discount of 30% on Northlink Ferries (http://www.northlinkferries.co.uk/) and are able to nominate 'Friends and Family' for the same discount (the F&F discount is not available over Xmas and New Year, and between mid-June and the end of August). Pentland Ferries standard prices tend to be lower anyway for most vehicles, so the discount is not always significant in comparison.

A 7.5m motorhome plus two adults in September, for example, would be £79.80 each way on Northlink compared to £85 on Pentland.

A 9m motorhome plus two adults in September would be £87.85 each way on Northlink, compared to £120 on Pentland.

Steve

norman64
20-06-2015, 09:49
Hi,
Orkney sounds great to me, we can make any date.

Yours Norman64

The laird
20-06-2015, 10:47
Any info on Orkney meet yet still watching. Bazz

Been in France on holiday just back ,going to get things looked at in the next week or so.had some family issues to sort out first

RoaminRog
22-06-2015, 19:23
Hi Gordon, thanks for the PM. Hope you had a great time in France, we are off there ourselves, in July/August. We would be very interested in your planned trip to Orkney next year, we will keep a look out for the dates and plan accordingly. We have never been North of Skye before so it will be a brilliant experience.

Best regards Rog.

RoaminRog
24-06-2015, 19:16
Just a thought Gordon, is there any way the trip could coincide perhaps with seeing the Northern Lights? Never seen them, and the only thing I know about them is the further North you are the more spectacular the lights are. Don't even know what time of the year is best for this sort of thing, I just thought I'd throw this up in the air and see what lands on the table.

BW Rog.

Scoobydog
24-06-2015, 19:31
Hi, not long back from Orkney and had booked on Pentland ferries. Because my van was higher than 2.3 metres had to back on and no help was given or offered. I queried the reversing on return journey and was told I had no choice. Outward was the worst because of narrow ramp and return was awkward because of an up-hill ramp and was frightened of stalling. Being female, I felt the staff were waiting for some misjudgement. Pentland are the quickest and cheapest but next time I'll go from Scrabster on Orkney Ferries. So beware if you are heading to heading.

tribute11
24-06-2015, 20:42
Hi, not long back from Orkney and had booked on Pentland ferries. Because my van was higher than 2.3 metres had to back on and no help was given or offered. I queried the reversing on return journey and was told I had no choice. Outward was the worst because of narrow ramp and return was awkward because of an up-hill ramp and was frightened of stalling. Being female, I felt the staff were waiting for some misjudgement. Pentland are the quickest and cheapest but next time I'll go from Scrabster on Orkney Ferries. So beware if you are heading to heading.

Find it hard to believe that the staff did not offer to help as our experience was the complete opposite. The staff were very friendly and efficiently reversed several motorhomes and car/caravan outfits onto the ferry (at both ends).
I personally would not travel by any ferry other than Pentland.

RoaminRog
11-07-2015, 22:37
Hope you can get this one off the ground Gordon, really looking forward to it! I have booked the last weekend in March and the first weekend in April off from work in anticipation, although of course I can always change it if needs be, they are reasonably accommodating.
It's been a while since you wet our appetites, any thoughts yet?

Best regards Rog.

The laird
08-08-2015, 21:16
Hope you can get this one off the ground Gordon, really looking forward to it! I have booked the last weekend in March and the first weekend in April off from work in anticipation, although of course I can always change it if needs be, they are reasonably accommodating.
It's been a while since you wet our appetites, any thoughts yet?

Best regards Rog.

Hi rog,going to get my sons wedding out the way this month then were away poss to France sept dep on situations there.once were back will endeavour to get in touch with brandyman ,I did pm him but not heard as of yet.will prob have a meet at the tail of this year at St,Andrews but will keep March n April in mind for the above
Regards gordon

Jimhunterj4
09-08-2015, 06:57
Just a thought Gordon, is there any way the trip could coincide perhaps with seeing the Northern Lights? Never seen them, and the only thing I know about them is the further North you are the more spectacular the lights are. Don't even know what time of the year is best for this sort of thing, I just thought I'd throw this up in the air and see what lands on the table.

BW Rog.

Solar storm and clear sky's required rog, it's just your luck pal, you have the same or maybe even more chance of seeing them in Aberdeen which is why the the city is called "the city of lights".

The laird
09-08-2015, 07:12
Also there's a song ,the northern lights of old Aberdeen ,think it's to do wi this😡😀

RoaminRog
10-08-2015, 13:58
Also there's a song ,the northern lights of old Aberdeen ,think it's to do wi this😡😀

It was only a thought, It would be a bonus to see them but quite frankly we will be happy just to be up there!

RoaminRog
10-08-2015, 14:04
Solar storm and clear sky's required rog, it's just your luck pal, you have the same or maybe even more chance of seeing them in Aberdeen which is why the the city is called "the city of lights".

Thanks for that Jim, I didn't realise that. Incidentally I used to deliver to Boots in Airdrie quite regularly when I was 'on the wagons', but not been there for a few years now.

Best regards Rog.

Jimhunterj4
10-08-2015, 16:46
Thanks for that Jim, I didn't realise that. Incidentally I used to deliver to Boots in Airdrie quite regularly when I was 'on the wagons', but not been there for a few years now.

Best regards Rog.

No probs rog, boots was not far from where I used to stay, out in the sticks so to speak a couple of miles up the backroads.
Regards the aurora we've wanted to see them for a long while so this year were going to make a conscious effort to do so, maybe have a word with Gordon the laird and get a wee trip up north maybe to somewhere up Aberdeen or applecross or something around the end of the year, a nice frosty crisp clear night should do the trick, oh and a solar flare lol.

pete53
16-08-2015, 20:03
Orkney is very popular for campervans , we see them here from all over Europe , plenty off good wild camp sites , many with loos . Also some good official sites . The weather can be challenging at times though .
If time allows it's well worth going on to Shetland , quite different to Orkney . Also many of the other Orkney Isles , plenty of bird life .

RoaminRog
17-08-2015, 06:38
Orkney is very popular for campervans , we see them here from all over Europe , plenty off good wild camp sites , many with loos . Also some good official sites . The weather can be challenging at times though .
If time allows it's well worth going on to Shetland , quite different to Orkney . Also many of the other Orkney Isles , plenty of bird life .

Thanks for your imput Pete, challenging or not it's got to be worth the trip just for the scenery alone! BW Rog.

gina
23-09-2015, 06:33
I'd be interested. My mother is a Marwick, originally from Orkney. Been meaning to go for years

The laird
23-09-2015, 08:01
Been trying to make contact with Mel,Brandyman,for details to wild a crowd of us,if any other members who belong Orkney can give me some ideas as to an area we could use .this is going to be next year now
Cheers for any replieas

klaatu
23-09-2015, 08:26
I could probably arrange something on Sanday, you could even use my front 'garden' as long as it was well into what we laughingly call "summer" and the ground had (hopefully) dried out. Probably room for a dozen or so. But I guess you would really want to be on Mainland, as you'd want to see all of the interesting stuff, and you'd soon run out of things to do on Sanday - plus the additional ferry cost.

Steve

Natalie
28-09-2015, 12:11
Up at St. Andrews just now and been talking with merv(Brandyman) and we reckon a meet is possible in beautiful Orkney..haggis ,black pudding and live music.he also does conjuring and magic and willing to amaze us!
I'm looking towards late summer early autumn .please look at pentland ferries for a guide with a chance of group discount for the crossing .
I'm looking for feedback before going any further.
Only nice replies please as we know how things can pan ooot:)
UPDATE!
With the increased activities with other meetings around the proposed time for this trip to Orkney,I am suggesting we now shift this meeting to a spring gathering in 2016.the dates I am looking at would be either the last week in March or the first week in April
Regards Gordon

Have you made any progress with this plan? I visited Orkney in June 2015, staying at the Council sites in Kirkwall and Stromness. It rained incessantly so I'd really like to visit again and pray for better weather. At mid-summer there is a music festival on and you can get right up to the standing stones so much better than Stonehenge.

The laird
28-09-2015, 18:28
Have you made any progress with this plan? I visited Orkney in June 2015, staying at the Council sites in Kirkwall and Stromness. It rained incessantly so I'd really like to visit again and pray for better weather. At mid-summer there is a music festival on and you can get right up to the standing stones so much better than Stonehenge.

I'm hoping Brandyman will get in touch once he has personnel matters resolved and can then progress with a plan ,at present its on hold but should go ahead

RoaminRog
21-12-2015, 18:57
Still hoping you can get this one off the ground Gordon, we are very keen to make the journey.
Merry Christmas to you and yours,
Rog and Chris.

royh28
21-12-2015, 21:08
Thanks Gordon, Really enjoyed Falkirk.
Orkney sounds great, we will try to arrange time off when dates are firm.

A Merry Christmas and Happy New year to All.

Enjoy, from Pauline and Roy. :boat:

carol
22-12-2015, 11:51
Is this still on the cards, Gordon? Seasons greeting to you...🎅🎄🎅🎄

jagmanx
22-12-2015, 11:59
???

The laird
22-12-2015, 15:42
???

Not yet mate

Brandyman
22-12-2015, 19:48
I'm hoping Brandyman will get in touch once he has personnel matters resolved and can then progress with a plan ,at present its on hold but should go ahead

Thinking May June if decision on when to meet or any other month.
Will talk to ferry company for discount 30% for family and friends (hopping)
Merv brandyman over to you Laird.

t4rt4n
22-12-2015, 19:55
id be interesting in going :)

Admin
23-12-2015, 17:23
Can I suggest that we consider the last weekend in June 9th-13th. This is the weekend before the HighLand Gathering, so people who have travelled some distance can do two meets whilst in Scotland. It is also two weeks after the Wild Camping Annual Rally.

Stitch
23-12-2015, 19:47
I'd be interested in this meet.

channa
23-12-2015, 20:10
I am not one for meets as such, that said this one tickles the taste buds. For anyone that has never visited Orkney an amazing place a true hidden jewel of the UK. Maes How Skara and the rings of brodgar , alone worth the visit.. more modern spots the Italian chapel Churchills barriers equally fascinating ... great for fishing Orcadians have their own rules !! and it helps if you like brown trout !..
Anyone wanting a trial dive, great opportunities over the German scuppered fleet ...

It really is a remarkable place, last time i visied 1998 so due another drop in

One gathering i did attend ironically was the highland gathering organised by Angus and Margaret. (the only one i have attended ) stunning location, fantastic hosts, the location a touch south of Inverness . Inverness a beautiful city with plenty of other options not far away..

If the fellas and fellaesses can pull this one off you won't be disappointed ...

Channa

channa
23-12-2015, 20:35
Can I suggest that we consider the last weekend in June 9th-13th. This is the weekend before the HighLand Gathering, so people who have travelled some distance can do two meets whilst in Scotland. It is also two weeks after the Wild Camping Annual Rally. logistically that makes sense but a suggestion that affords a wonder of the world.

2016 June 20th is summer solstice, on Okrney something amazing happens Brandyman perhaps can confirm i got the date correct. Maes Howe is a prehistoric burial chamber with a tunnel entrance .On the solstice the sun illuminates the entrance for one day only, not only that but aligns with the standing stone of steness and rings of brodgar ...the latter like stonehenge but you can or could happily walk around it ...my point being this once a year event perhaps wrthy of consideration, I know a few members enjoy Stonehenge ..tbh amateur in theatrics to the history and locations on Orkney

(anyone would thinkI like it there )

I promise those who have never visited before will leave mesmerised and totally enchanted by the place

(brandyman to whom do i address my tourist promotion invoice ?:D)

Channa

runnach
23-12-2015, 20:37
Anyone wanting a trial dive, great opportunities over the German scuppered fleet ...Channa

Remains of German scuttled fleet are beyond try dive depths, although viewing topside historical interest, is also captivating.

Scapa Flow : Historic Wreck Site (http://www.scapaflowwrecks.com/)

High Seas Sunken Fleet and Other Wrecks : Dive Scapa Flow's Wrecks (http://www.scapaflowwrecks.com/wrecks/)

channa
23-12-2015, 20:44
Remains of German scuttled fleet are beyond try dive depths, although viewing topside historical interest, is also captivating.

Scapa Flow : Historic Wreck Site (http://www.scapaflowwrecks.com/)

High Seas Sunken Fleet and Other Wrecks : Dive Scapa Flow's Wrecks (http://www.scapaflowwrecks.com/wrecks/)

like i said , a long time since i was there ... a relative ironically doing a nitrox course there.. I thought some of the fleet in pretty shallow water , nevertheless trial dives can be arranged should people want to dip their toe ... an amazing place yhat i do know

channa

Admin
23-12-2015, 20:45
Either weekend is great.

runnach
23-12-2015, 20:49
like i said , a long time since i was there ... a relative ironically doing a nitrox course there.. I thought some of the fleet in pretty shallow water , nevertheless trial dives can be arranged should people want to dip their toe ... an amazing place yhat i do know

channa

You'll be thinking of the block ships, Channa. They can also be interesting due to tidal rips!

Johnnygm7lsi
23-12-2015, 21:02
Yup, an amazing place to visit, and really friendly people, worth day tripping to the outlying islands too, fishing is the best there is, sea or loch, I spend 4 weeks a year there and many weekends just island hopping, luckily all expenses paid, with work, boss says I`m on holiday LOL, worth it for a trip on the ferry, MV Hamnavoe, its like a cruise liner.

carol
23-12-2015, 21:07
Can't wait for this one!

Johnnygm7lsi
23-12-2015, 21:09
Usually a nice crossing

Hamnavoe in heavy seas - YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhsBfNxWILg)

RoaminRog
23-12-2015, 21:19
I like the idea of a visit to Orkney, never been that far up before. I particularly like the sound of Summer Solstice at Maeshowe, but if we were to aim to be on Orkney, in time for sunrise on 20th, we could only 'pop in' to the Highland Meet on the way up, and wouldn't have time to 'smell the heather'.
Any practical suggestions please?

runnach
23-12-2015, 21:25
Usually a nice crossing

If I had a pint in my hand, I wouldn't spill a drop. :cheers::cheers:

Admin
23-12-2015, 21:36
I like the idea of a visit to Orkney, never been that far up before. I particularly like the sound of Summer Solstice at Maeshowe, but if we were to aim to be on Orkney, in time for sunrise on 20th, we could only 'pop in' to the Highland Meet on the way up, and wouldn't have time to 'smell the heather'.
Any practical suggestions please?

Retirement?

RoaminRog
23-12-2015, 21:39
Retirement?

Thanks Phil, anybody would think that I'm old enough! Huh you youngsters!

Johnnygm7lsi
23-12-2015, 22:00
If I had a pint in my hand, I wouldn't spill a drop. :cheers::cheers:

Aye, me too, I`ve good sea legs, my father was an Aberdeen bus conductor in my early years LOL, I`ve had a few hairy crossings in the winter, but nothing as bad as the video, it`s a bit embarrassing watching the drama queens (Usually Blokes) hanging onto the handrail with just a slight swell

maingate
24-12-2015, 09:22
Usually a nice crossing

Just tried to open the link and cannot until I have been interrogated by Google and agreed to their terms and conditions. Cheeky sods can foff.

Time to consider using Linux. :(

channa
24-12-2015, 17:01
Just tried to open the link and cannot until I have been interrogated by Google and agreed to their terms and conditions. Cheeky sods can foff.

Time to consider using Linux. :(

All you need to know Jim is boat seriously bobbing up and down and the seagulls and kittiwakes have mastered flying backwards.

Channa

Johnnygm7lsi
24-12-2015, 17:23
All you need to know Jim is boat seriously bobbing up and down and the seagulls and kittiwakes have mastered flying backwards.

Channa

wettin mysel LOL

maingate
24-12-2015, 17:45
You should see some of the photos my mate Tuggers has. He is a member on here but does not post much. He was a Tugboat Skipper in the North Sea.

ducato
24-12-2015, 19:37
Have we got a firm date yet. .?? Would be our 3rd visit . Brilliant place ( After April please as not back from Spain till late April ). Carnt wait

Stitch
31-12-2015, 16:59
I'm up for this. Planing on a three week trip to the islands this year. So would be great to coincide dependant on dates.

slider
02-01-2016, 21:30
We also would like to tag along with this one not been to Orkney before but would depend on dates and knowing soon enough so date can be booked off. June 20th is ok for us.

exwindsurfer
02-01-2016, 23:09
we would like to be down for this one to .

Jimhunterj4
03-01-2016, 08:48
Any ideas of ferry prices yet and if we're staying at a site or wilding it ?
Cheers Gordon

The laird
03-01-2016, 09:16
Any ideas of ferry prices yet and if we're staying at a site or wilding it ?
Cheers Gordon
Hi Jim,was waiting till end of January to get in touch with merv in Orkney as he is getting in touch with the ferries to see about discounts,also was looking around last two weeks May.i was going to France but we've never been to Orkney and I would also like to visit sandy no sure if I spelt it correctly.
What's your views on it as the admin was on about the meet at Inverness with mag.

runnach
03-01-2016, 09:35
Sanday, Gordon, I had an aqaintence who lives/ed there, ginger haired man called Barrie. He would fly to Edinburgh to do his IT contractor work, at end of contract he would buy up any old van with just enough mot to get him home, no requirement for mot on Sanday. When van died,remains were used for storage/shelter for croft materials or live stock.

Kettletoft Feature Page on Undiscovered Scotland (http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/sanday/kettletoft/index.html)

Scapa Flow Feature Page on Undiscovered Scotland (http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/hoy/scapa/index.html)

Jimhunterj4
03-01-2016, 12:57
Hi Jim,was waiting till end of January to get in touch with merv in Orkney as he is getting in touch with the ferries to see about discounts,also was looking around last two weeks May.i was going to France but we've never been to Orkney and I would also like to visit sandy no sure if I spelt it correctly.
What's your views on it as the admin was on about the meet at Inverness with mag.

Keep ending on prices mate and if I can get the holiday off, Inverness sounds good too, we were going to try that last year

The laird
03-01-2016, 14:28
Keep ending on prices mate and if I can get the holiday off, Inverness sounds good too, we were going to try that last year

Getting my heid doon to try and get prices etc,last two Inverness will be on then and taking that in for folks who are coming up from far away.
Awaiting info coming back to me from enquiries I've made ,will keep you posted guys

The laird
03-01-2016, 14:59
Been trying to call but no luck .took this off the web page36547
Hope this gives an idea ,but I'm trying to see if we Can get a discount for block booking

The laird
03-01-2016, 20:20
Guys my time off this year for hols is end may will try and change them but don't think it will happen ,the meet at brin is a few weeks later and folks that are travelling a long way will want to tie in both we think .
I may have to pass on doing the later trip to Orkney but will con firm later this week.
Hope this don't upset the boat but maybe another member could organise.

Brandyman
03-01-2016, 20:41
Guys my time off this year for hols is end may will try and change them but don't think it will happen ,the meet at brin is a few weeks later and folks that are travelling a long way will want to tie in both we think .
I may have to pass on doing the later trip to Orkney but will con firm later this week.
Hope this don't upset the boat but maybe another member could organise.

Where does this leave me .
Can't get pm to work brandyman

The laird
03-01-2016, 20:50
Hi merv got that last pm ,will try to contact you tomorrow by phone mate.modern technology is a pain in the rear end.might just write a letter pop it in a bottle and send it to you😀😀😀😀.
Don't worry about pm ing will be in touch ASAP.
Regards gordon

Admin
03-01-2016, 21:06
I am not sure that we are not better off having two meets in Orkney. There may be more demand than one meet can handle.

The laird
03-01-2016, 21:11
I am not sure that we are not better off having two meets in Orkney. There may be more demand than one meet can handle.

Well I'm trying to contact pentland ferries still no answer yet Phil will call again tomorrow and try for discount on block booking.also calling merv for info regarding wilding he said its in abundance,will post my info and date I'm trying to get if not the date I stated which is end may.will see what happens tomorrow and take it from there.

Admin
03-01-2016, 21:40
Maybe the solution is to continue with the original meet idea and see how that plays out.

If members want to go to Orkney after the Highland gathering then maybe I can arrange it as a mini meet.

Brandyman
03-01-2016, 21:44
Gordon have just said to you that I was writing to ferry companies for best deal .
In the past I have been getting 30% friends family any way you go for it no point both trying carry on good luck.Merv

The laird
03-01-2016, 21:48
Gordon have just said to you that I was writing to ferry companies for best deal .
In the past I have been getting 30% friends family any way you go for it no point both trying carry on good luck.Merv

I'm happy to let you contact hem merv as I've no been able to contact them,was just trying as I know you hadn't been that great,so if you could I'd appreciate you doing it and will wait till you get in touch with me please.hows your weather the now merv?
Many thanks gordon

runnach
03-01-2016, 21:58
Better leaving this kind of stuff to island residents, they know the right people to ask. Where a telephone call, or email, from non islanders, can get lost in the ether!

The laird
03-01-2016, 22:01
Better leaving this kind of stuff to island residents, they know the right people to ask. Where a telephone call, or email, from non islanders, can get lost in the ether!

Agree on that terry ,I've asked merv if I can leave it with him if he doesn't mind.

runnach
03-01-2016, 22:11
Will be a great meet when it all comes together, Gordon. I missed my opportunity when our underwater film crew were filming German Fleet wrecks. Orkneys are a must do on my bucket list (topside) unfortunately, I doubt dates will fit in, This could change, though?

Brandyman
04-01-2016, 15:43

Great idea two meets May last two weeks.. June 20th.
Have been in contact with ferry com yes good result last two weeks may 30% family friends...
June waiting for same discount will get that news Tuesday at earliest after noon will post as soon.
If possible number of vans for may also no vans June.
Wild camping in Orkney is plentiful .
Gordon Laird. Admin that's my news today

The laird
04-01-2016, 15:49
Great idea two meets May last two weeks.. June 20th.
Have been in contact with ferry com yes good result last two weeks may 30% family friends...
June waiting for same discount will get that news Tuesday at earliest after noon will post as soon.
If possible number of vans for may also no vans June.
Wild camping in Orkney is plentiful .
Gordon Laird. Admin that's my news today

Brilliant stuff merv ,really appreciate you doing that for us,will get no.s for May first ,cheers again merv.

The laird
04-01-2016, 17:25
Merv can you give us an idea of a place we can congregate for a wild meet .then i can post date/location etc
Cheers gordon

Jimhunterj4
04-01-2016, 19:07
So what's happening are we going to the highland meet ?

The laird
04-01-2016, 19:21
Been talking to Brandyman on the phone tonight,he is awaiting to find out exactly the packages he can get put to gether for visits to Orkney.he is also putting together areas to camp with facilities etc.ive told him his health comes first and foremost but once he is organised there will be a post put up with what can be done.At present we are agreed two visits first in the end of May,second one in June for the solstice rings of brogar which could take in the brin meet at inverness.He has passed a message to you Phil that he is happy to try to get things disc for second visit if possible also.again he will put a post up to keep us informed.
Once he finds out disc we then put up for names and nos so he can contact the ferry company.

I would like to thank merv for his help which is greatly appreciated !

Brandyman
05-01-2016, 16:31
Been talking to Brandyman on the phone tonight,he is awaiting to find out exactly the packages he can get put to gether for visits to Orkney.he is also putting together areas to camp with facilities etc.ive told him his health comes first and foremost but once he is organised there will be a post put up with what can be done.At present we are agreed two visits first in the end of May,second one in June for the solstice rings of brogar which could take in the brin meet at inverness.He has passed a message to you Phil that he is happy to try to get things disc for second visit if possible also.again he will put a post up to keep us informed.
Once he finds out disc we then put up for names and nos so he can contact the ferry company.

I would like to thank merv for his help which is greatly appreciated !Hi Meryvn,

Message sent to brandyman

It was a pleasure to speak to you today. Although it’s a shame the Family and Friends discount scheme finishes on 14th June 2016, I hope we might be able to work out a similar discount for June using the Sponsorship deal.

In order to receive a Family and Friends discount ID your wild campers will have to register with us. The web link to do so is here - Family and Friends Promotion 2015 Opt In | NorthLink Ferries (http://www.northlinkferries.co.uk/family-and-friends-opt-in/)

They’ll receive an ID and Password which can be used to log in and then book their journey at a discounted rate (30% off passenger and vehicle fares on all Hamnavoe sailings across the Pentland Firth between 7th January to 14th June 2016 and 1st September 2016 to 17th December 2016.) It amounts to a fairly significant saving
Family and Friends Promotion 2016 Opt In
Family & friends 2016 – Fill in your details to participate
You have been nominated to participate in our Family and Friends web promotion, which is running between 7th January to 14th June 2016 and 1st September 2016 to 17th December 2016.
After you have opted in, you and any member of your household can travel during this period with NorthLink Ferries and get a 30% discount on your passenger and car fare (cabins are not included and other conditions apply.)
For you to participate in our promotion, please fill in the form below.
After filling out your details and opting-in, you will receive an email with an ID and password within 1 to 14 days. You will be required to use these when making a booking with NorthLink and receive your 30% discount. View the Terms and Conditions.
Please note that if you have already opted in to the Family and friends scheme in the past, the IDs and Passwords which were issued to you previously can be used again.

Fields marked with a * are required.
Your Name *

Your
Family and Friends Promotion 2016 Opt In
Family & friends 2016 – Fill in your details to participate
You have been nominated to participate in our Family and Friends web promotion, which is running between 7th January to 14th June 2016 and 1st September 2016 to 17th December 2016.
After you have opted in, you and any member of your household can travel during this period with NorthLink Ferries and get a 30% discount on your passenger and car fare (cabins are not included and other conditions apply.)
For you to participate in our promotion, please fill in the form below.
After filling out your details and opting-in, you will receive an email with an ID and password within 1 to 14 days. You will be required to use these when making a booking with NorthLink and receive your 30% discount. View the Terms and Conditions.
Please note that if you have already opted in to the Family and friends scheme in the past, the IDs and Passwords which were issued to you previously can be used again.

Fields marked with a * are required.
Your Name *

Your Gender
Merv brandyman

sinner
05-01-2016, 16:56
What a great job sir well done and thanks :-))

The laird
05-01-2016, 17:19
Fantastic bit of work meryvn,you've done us all proud mate.many thanks.going to register just nowthats me done will receive I'd and password in 1-7 days time.easy peasie

Brandyman
05-01-2016, 17:35
Fantastic bit of work meryvn,you've done us all proud mate.many thanks.going to register just now

Laird (Gordon) plenty time wait few days will give some more information tomorrow (Wednesday)
Having meeting tomorrow sort few things out
The discount can apply to any member travelling on dates issued.
Will give update from ferry co tomorrow
.MERV. Family and Friends discount – Terms and Conditions
To be eligible to participate an email address is required.
All Family and Friends bookings must be made via Ferry to Orkney and Shetland Islands | NorthLink Ferries (http://www.northlinkferries.co.uk)
Islanders nominating Family and Friends households must have a valid NorthLink Islander ID.
Nominators must be aged 16 years or over.
Nominees must live outside Orkney & Shetland.
Nominees must have a valid ID and password to receive the discount.
Previously distributed Family and friends IDs and Passwords can be used again.
The Family and Friends discount cannot be used in conjunction with the 10% concessions discount, the NorthLink sponsorship programme or any other concessionary schemes. If you wish to access a concessionary discount outwith Family and Friends discount dates, please don’t log in with a Family and Friends ID.
The Family and Friends discount applies to passengers and their cars including people carriers, 4x4s, motorbikes, motorhomes, domestic vans and cars with caravans or trailers. Subject to available deck space.
Cabin accommodation is not covered by the discount.
Retrospectively the discount can be applied to journeys already booked but not for journeys already taken during the promotional period – to gain your discount on journeys already booked during the promotional period, please phone 0845 6000 449.
The period of Family and friends discounted travel runs during the stated promotional period and covers sailings detailed below:
Hamnavoe sailings.
Hjaltland and Hrossey sailings (excluding Friday southbound and Sunday n

carol
06-01-2016, 11:16
What a fantastic job. Thank you for doing this. I've registered...😀

RoaminRog
06-01-2016, 13:10
I thought about leaving Norfolk on Monday 13th June and making our way up to Inverness and joining the NC 500 as far as the ferry and then over to Orkney in time for the Solstice on the 20th and eventually rejoining the NC500 and carrying on round the North and West coast and back to Inverness before making our way back down South again arriving home on 30th June.
If we can't get a discount on the ferry, then so be it, it would be nice but it's not the end of the world.
Can anyone tell me if my plan is do-able in that sort of timescale please?

andyjanet
06-01-2016, 13:55
Sorry Roger we have done some of Scotland in a week, but it's better if you have three, there are so many places just to stop and look the more time you have the better view you get, Janet and I have spent a considerable time touring Scotland, we can chat next time we see you or ring me for specific areas. Andy

RoaminRog
06-01-2016, 13:57
Sorry Roger we have done some of Scotland in a week, but it's better if you have three, there are so many places just to stop and look the more time you have the better view you get, Janet and I have spent a considerable time touring Scotland, we can chat next time we see you or ring me for specific areas. Andy

We have allowed 18 days I think..... not enough?

andyjanet
06-01-2016, 14:06
Scotland is so beautiful you need more time, plan to see less and go back next year :D

offgrid
06-01-2016, 14:31
Already booked leave from work for this year, so would be def interested in a meet next year. Orkney's, Shetlands, and Iceland are all my hitlist.!

jt

is there a ferry crossing to iceland though??

slider
06-01-2016, 20:09
We can make Orkney for the 20th getting the ferry on the 18th we only have 5 days before catching ferry back on 24th (have to be back at work on 27th :cry:)

But are really looking forward to it. Think we fall outside the promotion dates but this won't stop us.

Thank you Brandyman for all the information you have provided it has been really helpful to a first timers like us.:cheers:

The Laird ready to put are names down for the June 20th meet thanks for helping sort this.

Brandyman
06-01-2016, 20:29
We can make Orkney for the 20th getting the ferry on the 18th we only have 5 days before catching ferry back on 24th (have to be back at work on 27th :cry:)

But are really looking forward to it. Think we fall outside the promotion dates but this won't stop us.

Thank you Brandyman for all the information you have provided it has been really helpful to a first timers like us.:cheers:

The Laird ready to put are names down for the June 20th meet thanks for helping sort this.

Had meeting with ferry co to day friend's and family finish 14 June.
The next move we are trying for sponsorship starting 20thJune possibility yes yes..
Friends and family book under wildcampig open to a!l members
30% discount
Merv. brandyman

runnach
06-01-2016, 20:46
is there a ferry crossing to iceland though??
I believe crossing to Iceland via an Island, is from the Faroe Isles?

RoaminRog
06-01-2016, 22:20

We are also going for the Solstice. Looking to catch the ferry from Scrabster on 17th and staying on Orkney until 24th. Can't wait now.

Admin
06-01-2016, 22:27
We are also going for the Solstice. Looking to catch the ferry from Scrabster on 17th and staying on Orkney until 24th. Can't wait now.

I am planning to get the ferry on 19th from scrabster, I intend to stay until Friday 25th.

RoaminRog
06-01-2016, 23:07
I am planning to get the ferry on 20th from scrabster, I intend to stay until Friday 25th.

Doesn't that mean you will miss the Solstice on the 20th Phil?

The laird
07-01-2016, 08:27
Looking to go end may due to hol allocations

carol
07-01-2016, 10:47
Sounds like everyone is going to be there at different times, or have I missed something obvious?

Admin
07-01-2016, 10:55
Doesn't that mean you will miss the Solstice on the 20th Phil?

Typo mate, 19th.

RoaminRog
07-01-2016, 14:12
Typo mate, 19th.

Excellent!

RoaminRog
07-01-2016, 14:18
Could Merv recommend somewhere we can congregate near to Maeshowe, (hope I've spelt that right).

exwindsurfer
07-01-2016, 18:40
Well that's the ferry booked for the 17th June, same as Rogers. Anyone else going look forward to seeing you all for the summer solstice there.

Jeff, Chris and Saffy x

Deleted user 21925
07-01-2016, 18:42
Well that's the ferry booked for the 17th June, same as Rogers. Anyone else going look forward to seeing you all for the summer solstice there.

Jeff, Chris and Saffy x

I should be Jeff. Just got to make sure dates ok.

Brandyman
07-01-2016, 19:17
Could Merv recommend somewhere we can congregate near to Maeshowe, (hope I've spelt that right).

All campers can congregate at Stennes hotel car park new wild camping site water tap at garage.
If staying all night park up at back or side.
It would be nice to patronise bar and restaurant spend few nights enjoy..

Now anyone going to solstice take van up to tormiston mill. When you get there permission to go into farm you can park here
Have got permission from Mr.Mathers

s just say got permission to park few hours
When parked here walk across road mase how .
Hope this helps. Merv brandyman

Stennes hotel Aprox 3 miles from boat follow main road to Kirkwall can't miss it

RoaminRog
07-01-2016, 19:20
All campers can congregate at Stennes hotel car park new wild camping site water tap at garage.

Now anyone going to solstice take van up to tormiston mill. When you get there permission to go into farm you can park here

That's brilliant Merv, thank you, will we be seeing you there?

slider
07-01-2016, 20:32

Jeff, Chris and Saffy x

Hi Jeff we booking ferry for the 18th returning 24th. Look forward to seeing you Chris and Staffy again. Hope you are feeling better sorry you missed new years party.

slider
07-01-2016, 20:46
Sounds like everyone is going to be there at different times, or have I missed something obvious?

It does look like that a bit Carol it's just that every one is catching the ferry form Scrabster on different days over the week-end but we will all be there for the solstice.

No list up yet but looking like poss 5 vans at the moment.

Are you coming?

carol
07-01-2016, 20:48
I'm hoping to unless I'm abroad somewhere! As long as I'm with a group....don't want to be on me lonesome!

slider
07-01-2016, 21:04
I'm hoping to unless I'm abroad somewhere! As long as I'm with a group....don't want to be on me lonesome!

You wouldn't be on your lonesome you will have all us for company. Done a little research in prep it looks a fabulous place it has been on the to do list for a while

can not wait the bonus is going with friends. All the none camper friends follow the sun by plane to the beach for hols. Mind you Rog said the weather is going to be

red hot and sunny so will pack my swimsuit :raofl: Hope you make it, will be fun.

carol
07-01-2016, 21:59
MIDGIES! Aaaaarrrrrggggghhhh!

slider
07-01-2016, 22:06
midgies! Aaaaarrrrrggggghhhh!

deet;)

RoaminRog
07-01-2016, 22:56
deet;)

I think June is too early for midges, he said fingers crossed!

exwindsurfer
07-01-2016, 22:59

you have got some hope rog lolol

exwindsurfer
07-01-2016, 23:09

Stennes hotel Aprox 3 miles from boat follow main road to Kirkwall can't miss it

Thanks Merv for sorting it out for all of us .

Jeff

5andy
07-01-2016, 23:30
I'm with Rog. The wind will keep them away.
Sandy.

RoaminRog
08-01-2016, 09:23
Hi Jeff we booking ferry for the 18th returning 24th. Look forward to seeing you Chris and Staffy again. Hope you are feeling better sorry you missed new years party.

Which sailing are you booked on to come home Sue? We are booked on the 11.00 from Stromness.

POI Admin
08-01-2016, 12:27
I am hoping to join the party as part of a longer tour of Scotland.

Sounds simply irresistible :D

slider
09-01-2016, 05:00
Which sailing are you booked on to come home Sue? We are booked on the 11.00 from Stromness.

Same Rog 11.00 from Stromness need two days to travel back.

Wish our stay in Scotland was for longer this will be the plan for next year. Have a long list of places to go on the to see list.

RoaminRog
09-01-2016, 13:35
Same Rog 11.00 from Stromness need two days to travel back.

Wish our stay in Scotland was for longer this will be the plan for next year. Have a long list of places to go on the to see list.

So that's at least three of us, all on the same ferry, really looking forward to it now!

carol
09-01-2016, 14:00
How much was the ferry, if you don't mind me asking?

RoaminRog
09-01-2016, 14:46
How much was the ferry, if you don't mind me asking?

For a Return crossing, with no Promotional Discount, it was £198 for a 7 metre motorhome and two passengers. It is a lot cheaper for a smaller van, and even cheaper if you travel during the promotional dates. Sadly we didn't have that choice, but wild horses wouldn't stop us going! R.

Normandy
11-01-2016, 14:44
Looking to go end may due to hol allocations

Hi the laird
Not sure if a list of interested parties is going to be put together,if so can you put Normandy down please, if its just a matter of booking the ferry and making you aware of this then happy to do this, either way really interested in this meet and will await your response before booking.

Regards
Normandy

Brandyman
13-01-2016, 08:37
Fantastic bit of work meryvn,you've done us all proud mate.many thanks.going to register just nowthats me done will receive I'd and password in 1-7 days time.easy peasie

Hello Gordon Laird hope you can arrange things at your side numbers going May meet .
Also are you doing anything about June all in place ready for you
all the best brandyman.

The laird
13-01-2016, 08:46
Merv hi mate great work at your end.going to put up two dates .Will get it started this week then let you know.I'm heading the last two weeks may.going to get in touch with admin regarding the second dates.
Cheers gordon

Brandyman
13-01-2016, 09:54
Thanks Laird agreed with you thanks .
It would be great for Admin for second date June .
Always be here to help this side
Car park booked at Stennes hotel for solstice meet.
Wilding in Orkney
Look up brandyman Orkney islands...

The laird
13-01-2016, 10:09
Thanks Laird agreed with you thanks .
It would be great for Admin for second date June .
Always be here to help this side
Car park booked at Stennes hotel for solstice meet.
Wilding in Orkney
Look up brandyman Orkney islands...

Cheers merv,Phil will take care of the second meet, sent him pm all done.

wanderwoman
15-01-2016, 09:42
Hi - I'm touring Scotland again in April & May - so very interested in your dates.. I spent a fantastic time with friends with vans in Orkney in 2013 - we thought it stunning. Reversing onto the ferry was a surprise but my van is less than 6mtrs so it wasn't a prob - having an audience watching the action was interesting - but we didn't drive into the water so....:wacko:

Wooie1958
15-01-2016, 10:25
Hi - I'm touring Scotland again in April & May - so very interested in your dates.. I spent a fantastic time with friends with vans in Orkney in 2013 - we thought it stunning. Reversing onto the ferry was a surprise but my van is less than 6mtrs so it wasn't a prob - having an audience watching the action was interesting - but we didn't drive into the water so....:wacko:

That`s the smaller and cheaper Pentland Ferry that runs Gills Bay to St Margaret`s Hope and is the one we use and prefer.

Having to reverse on take quite a few by surprise but the guys there are brilliant and will do it for anyone that is struggling.

I think the majority are going via the larger Ro-Ro Northlink Ferry that runs Scrabster to Stromness.

Brandyman
15-01-2016, 10:26
Mervyn,

Good to speak to you again today! As discussed here’s the prices (based on vehicle length) for a return journey for 2 adults and a vehicle from Scrabster to Stromness in May with the Family and Friends discount applied:

6m: £127.40

7m: £143.50

8m: £159.60

9m: £175.70

10m: £191.80

11m: £207.90

12m: £224

We’re still awaiting approval for the discount in June, I’ll press for an answer at the beginning of the week!

Best wishes,

Prices pentland ferries

6 metre van 2 adults. £140
6/8 metre van 2adults £182
Over 8 metres 2adults £248

The laird
16-01-2016, 09:26
Hi merv,decided we are going to get the scrabster to stromness ferry on Thursday 19th ,is there a code for family n friends?
Also was going to do a meet up at the spot you suggested at the hotel and enjoy meals etc there.

Anyone wishing to join in stick your interest up and I will add you name and compile a list for brandyman
Meeting point Stennes hotel car park( park at side and rear)water tap at garage.
The laird
Thewilsons
Normandy

Johnnygm7lsi
16-01-2016, 10:27
It`s well worth using the MV Hamnavoe ferry, she`s a lovely ship, Google Hamnavoe click on images and open the interior photos, nice meals too especially the all in breakfast

klaatu
17-01-2016, 09:02
Is the Stenness Hotel that's been mentioned the one that is currently called The Standing Stones Hotel?

The laird
17-01-2016, 09:24
Is the Stenness Hotel that's been mentioned the one that is currently called The Standing Stones Hotel?

You've got me on that one I'm afraid!merv would be able to enlighten you on that one .i think you may be correct as to what I googled but someone will be along to norm us with luck.

pete53
17-01-2016, 09:57
Hi , to get the discount you need an Islander to nominate you , see link -http://www.northlinkferries.co.uk/offers/family-and-friends/ .
We are unable to nominate any more people I'm afraid .
I believe the Stenness Hotel mentioned is the Standing Stones Hotel . Standing Stones Hotel in Orkney Islands | Hotels for Holidays in Orkney (http://www.standingstoneshotel.co.uk/) . Google Maps (https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@58.9864837,-3.2157973,3a,75y,356.09h,64.42t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s2Rj0bctl5tlta5Ar7ibAqg!2e0!7i1 3312!8i6656!6m1!1e1?hl=en) .
I hope this is of some help . Personally , we always use Pentland Ferries , Pentland Ferries - Official site of Orkney car ferry - Crossing the Pentland Firth in one hour (http://www.pentlandferries.co.uk/) , it's a shorter crossing & cheaper . Quick to load & off load . Cafè at Gills Bay serving good basic food .

Regards , Pete .

klaatu
17-01-2016, 10:16
Hi , to get the discount you need an Islander to nominate you , see link -http://www.northlinkferries.co.uk/offers/family-and-friends/ .
We are unable to nominate any more people I'm afraid . Has the scheme finished? Looking at the Northlink site, it doesn't look like it, the page you linked to still seems to allow you to nominate people?

Personally , we always use Pentland Ferries , Pentland Ferries - Official site of Orkney car ferry - Crossing the Pentland Firth in one hour (http://www.pentlandferries.co.uk/) , it's a shorter crossing & cheaperWe find that Northlink are cheaper for us, at Islander rates, but it probably depends on the size of your vehicle.

Steve

pete53
17-01-2016, 11:58
Has the scheme finished? Looking at the Northlink site, it doesn't look like it, the page you linked to still seems to allow you to nominate people?
We find that Northlink are cheaper for us, at Islander rates, but it probably depends on the size of your vehicle.

Steve

The scheme has not finished but we are up to our 6 nominees . Our camper van has been the same rate as a car with Pentland Ferries as under 6 M but looking at the website it goes up in April , shame for us . Pentland Ferries rates are not seasonal though , unlike Northlink , & they are more frequent .

Pete .

klaatu
17-01-2016, 12:03
The scheme has not finished but we are up to our 6 nominees .It's not completely clear, but there is apparently no limit to the number that you can nominate, it's just that the page only allows up to six in one go. The page says:

"You can nominate up to 6 Family and Friends households below, who live outside Orkney and Shetland, to be eligible to receive a 30% discount on their NorthLink travel, including their car (cabins are not included and other conditions apply.) If you wish to nominate more, please revisit this page when finished."

Steve

Brandyman
18-01-2016, 16:35
In order to receive a Family and Friends discount ID your wild campers will have to register with us. The web link to do so is here - Family and Friends Promotion 2015 Opt In | NorthLink Ferries (http://www.northlinkferries.co.uk/family-and-friends-opt-in/)
Use this link above

They’ll receive an ID and Password which can be used to log in and then book their journey at a discounted rate (30% off passenger and vehicle fares on all Hamnavoe sailings across the Pentland Firth between 7th January to 14th June 2016 and 1st September 2016 to 17th December 2016.) It amounts to a fairly significant saving!8
Any problems contact brandyman or Laird

Brandyman
18-01-2016, 16:36
Use this link above

They’ll receive an ID and Password which can be used to log in and then book their journey at a discounted rate (30% off passenger and vehicle fares on all Hamnavoe sailings across the Pentland Firth between 7th January to 14th June 2016 and 1st September 2016 to 17th December 2016.) It amounts to a fairly significant saving!8
Any problems contact brandyman or Laird

Brandyman
18-01-2016, 16:42
It's not completely clear, but there is apparently no limit to the number that you can nominate, it's just that the page only allows up to six in one go. The page says:

"You can nominate up to 6 Family and Friends households below, who live outside Orkney and Shetland, to be eligible to receive a 30% discount on their NorthLink travel, including their car (cabins are not included and other conditions apply.) If you wish to nominate more, please revisit this page when finished."

Steve
Note different email address for Scottish Orkney meet
This was arranged for wild camping club by brandyman/ laird
Hope this helps you .that's why the club can have more than six .
Brandyman OK

Brandyman
18-01-2016, 16:59
We are unable to nominate any more people I'm afraid .
I believe the Stenness Hotel mentioned is the Standing Stones Hotel . Standing Stones Hotel in Orkney Islands | Hotels for Holidays in Orkney (http://www.standingstoneshotel.co.uk/) . Google Maps (https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@58.9864837,-3.2157973,3a,75y,356.09h,64.42t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s2Rj0bctl5tlta5Ar7ibAqg!2e0!7i1 3312!8i6656!6m1!1e1?hl=en) .
I hope this is of some help . Personally , we always use Pentland Ferries , Pentland Ferries - Official site of Orkney car ferry - Crossing the Pentland Firth in one hour (http://www.pentlandferries.co.uk/) , it's a shorter crossing & cheaper . Quick to load & off load . Cafè at Gills Bay serving good basic food .

Regards , Pete .

No no you areIn order to receive a Family and Friends discount ID your wild campers will have to register with us. The web link to do so is here - Family and Friends Promotion 2015 Opt In | NorthLink Ferries (http://www.northlinkferries.co.uk/family-and-friends-opt-in/)

They’ll receive an ID and Password which can be used to log in and then book their journey at a discounted rate (30% off passenger and vehicle fares on all Hamnavoe sailings across the Pentland Firth between 7th January to 14th June 2016 and 1st September 2016 to 17th December 2016.) It amounts to a fairly significant saving! wrong this has been. Arranged by brandyman and Laird please use.this email address. In order to receive a Family and Friends discount ID your wild campers will have to register with us. The web link to do so is here - Family and Friends Promotion 2015 Opt In | NorthLink Ferries (http://www.northlinkferries.co.uk/family-and-friends-opt-in/)

They’ll receive an ID and Password which can be used to log in and then book their journey at a discounted rate (30% off passenger and vehicle fares on all Hamnavoe sailings across the Pentland Firth between 7th January to 14th June 2016 and 1st September 2016 to 17th December 2016.) It amounts to a fairly significant saving!

Brandyman
18-01-2016, 17:15
The scheme has not finished but we are up to our 6 nominees . Our camper van has been the same rate as a car with Pentland Ferries as under 6 M but looking at the website it goes up in April , shame for us . Pentland Ferries rates are not seasonal though , unlike Northlink , & they are more frequent .

Pete .

KIn order to receive a Family and Friends discount ID your wild campers will have to register with us. The web link to do so is here - Family and Friends Promotion 2015 Opt In | NorthLink Ferries (http://www.northlinkferries.co.uk/family-and-friends-opt-in/)

They’ll receive an ID and Password which can be used to log in and then book their journey at a discounted rate (30% off passenger and vehicle fares on all Hamnavoe sailings across the Pentland Firth between 7th January to 14th June 2016 and 1st September 2016 to 17th December 2016.) It amounts to a fairly significant saving!
This is for wild camping club see email address new one
Brandyman.

runnach
18-01-2016, 17:54
Merv, going off in a tangent a little bit, is there any reason why the northern isles do not have a road equivalent tariff (RET) in place?

Brandyman
19-01-2016, 04:59
Moved

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS