PDA

View Full Version : Isle of Arran, any wild camping?

mhairic
07-10-2008, 11:10
Hi
Going to arran for the first time this month for a long weekend, does anyone know of any wild camping areas, been all over this year, mostly wild cmaping and most found via this site, so looking to go to pastures new
many thanks to any one that replys
mhairi
scotland

tresrikay
07-10-2008, 18:14
Pretty much anywhere, the road just runs right around the coast. We stayed at a site down at the south end, which I would not use but if you carry on there are loads of pull offs right next to the sea. One site I would recommend is Lochranza golf, it is very informal, stags roaming about and the owner is a charecter. also the distillery is right across the road. The main town and the few villages between seem pretty wildcamping spot stark but get off the main road by the mountains and you should be O.K.
It is a wonderfull Island and one place I can't wait to get back to.
Post your pickies when you return.

Guy
09-10-2008, 00:16
I have just returned from Arran last week,a great island that will have you returning every year.
We have stayed at Lochranza campsite,it is really good but a bit expensive at 19.50 a night for 2 adults and electric hook up.
A good place to wildcamp is at North Sannox,fallen rocks carpark,overlooking the sea.We were watching basking sharks there last week and saw a minke whale in June.
There are also toilets open 24/7,but the water is not for drinking.

stevek
09-10-2008, 19:20
Hard standing off road car park used by hillwalkers on the Sannox side of the pass that goes over to Lochranza.

Theres a few pullovers on the "String" road which goes over the middle of the island.

Ideal spot would be the grassed car parking area for Kildonan beach but this displays "NO Camping" signs

Theres a few spots on the coast road between Blackwaterfoot and Lochranza.

There,a pay camp site at the beginning of Glen Rosa which has the feeling of wildcamping as there,s few facilities.The approach road is narrow and you might struggle to get to it.

As its your first visit why not go on the Lochranza site and have a look around the island.Its only a 50 miles round trip.

As a mountaineer i find Arran to be a fantastic place.Been 4 times.Enjoy!

Tco
19-09-2009, 21:03
About a mile out of Lochranza (anti-clock) there is a great pull in with mavelous views across the water, it is an old track about thirty foot off the road would accommodate four or five vans no trouble. Toilets (with an outside tap) about half a mile just this side of the port. Stayed there last weekend - lovely.

There are several pull-ins on the B880 mostly on the eastern side of the island.

Tco
23-09-2009, 23:21
This is the spot mentioned in my post above, you can just see the road on the left of the picture. We consider this to be the best spot we found.
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j124/tonycollins/DSCN0702.jpg

Whilst we there, I shot this:
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j124/tonycollins/DSCN0715.jpg
One of many, I just love the deep red in the clouds.

Guernsey Donkey
24-09-2009, 14:09
[QUOTE=
There are also toilets open 24/7,but the water is not for drinking.[/QUOTE]

Humm - Eau de cologne - I think not.

John
(Guernsey Donkey)

Pics of the: http://www.wildcamping.co.uk/forums/photo-gallery/7168-western-isles.html

Landygirl
07-07-2010, 07:08
yep, I'd agree with the guys who mentioned the following:

1. The track parallel to the road exactly half way between Lochranza and Catacol - nice and breezy to keep the midgies off too ! Pubs in both villages are fine and do some real ale. Toilets by the Claonig ferry jetty.

2. The parking/picnic spot at North Sannox - down a wee tarmac road only signposted with walkers signposts to Fallen Rocks and a Pony Trekking place. Beside wood with additional trees, so quite bad for midges, but lovely sloping short grass area with benches in front and interesting stream flowing into sea where we enjoyed watching a new swan family and my partner says he's seen an otter before. Lights not working in toilets, but clean enough and plenty of paper. There was also a really solid track along the coast to the Fallen Rocks about 1.5 miles away - I'm not an expert, but I would think it would be OK for a wheelchair and definitely a very short, safe cycle. Beaches all very rocky just there.

colin123
19-04-2011, 08:47
Sannox, by the beach, still good, toilets good.
Forestry car park near Blackwaterfoot ( Caves) excellent.
Forestry car park at Dyemill good, but they are logging and start early...
Toilets at Blackwaterfoot, Lamlash, Whiting Bay, Lochranza all have outside water taps.
Best beach side camping spots between Lochranza and Blackwaterfoot.
Camp site at Kildoanan at the south tip has lovely hot showers.
Best of all, no midges in April.
And a lovely clean island with plenty of litter bins and toilets everywhere.
Ask at TIC in Brodick for the Forestry walks leaflet.
The red cover guide to the island, free in shops although 55p on cover is useful.

foxyscot
04-05-2011, 20:45
Just back from Arran great weather and good wild spots, One of the best is when you head north from the ferry at brodick about 3 miles up the road just past the hotel on the left, approx 80m on the beach side to the right great place to pull in and park on the shore side, also behind bushes and trees so some cover, and space for about 4 or 5 vans 2mis walk to hotel if you fancy a wee dram or a meal loads of space with fantastic views, 2 others their for the night when we where their, spot on

MichaelU
15-09-2011, 14:01
This is the spot mentioned in my post above, you can just see the road on the left of the picture. We consider this to be the best spot we found.
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j124/tonycollins/DSCN0702.jpg

Whilst we there, I shot this:
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j124/tonycollins/DSCN0715.jpg
One of many, I just love the deep red in the clouds.

This lovely spot is a great stop BUT on a damp evening the electricity cables above the parking areas arced through our motorhome. Quite an odd feeling leaving us with a buzzing in the ears and the sensation of being scanned by aliens!

Aware of the faraday cage principle but a fibreglass motorhome with ladder next to the bed left us wary, we moved on immediately. Lots and Lots of places to park and on a summers night, probably not a problem. We toured at Easter and got "damp"

MichaelU
29-09-2011, 19:36
The beach at Sannox is lovely. A true free camp with the hotel across the road offering breakfasts as well as evening meals and drinks to free campers. Tents come and go as do motorcaravans and at Easter we had the area to ourselves for two peaceful nights. Whilst it is adjacent to the "main" road, i think we counted no more than a dozen cars from 9:00 pm to 9:00 am. I guess summer might be a little busier but no midges , no crowds and lovely weather so Easter it is for us.

Wake to the seals and walk the most wonderful sandy beach at Sannox.

500 metres away is the 9 hole Corrie Golf Club where apart from the most amazing views from a golf course anywhere, there is an all day cafe serving good food and drink.
Twenty metres away is a block of toilets.

Park at 55.661016,-5.154461

MichaelU
29-09-2011, 19:47
Park off the road at 55.57604,-5.355985

Another glorious spot on the beach and again adjacent to the oddly quiet road.

Parked here for a lovely last night on Arran cutting across the string Road to the Broddick Ferry in the morning after a late night sunset to die for and a campfire on the beach and in the morning a full english breakfast whilst gazing out so sea.

MichaelU
29-09-2011, 19:56
We spent two great nights here opposite the rather posh Shiskine golf club. The course is stunning and a must for golfers and the beach too is glorious. Walk around Drumadoon point and see the Fulmars nesting on the cliff face, just avoid getting too close, they spit and it reeks of fish... don't ask.

The restaurant at the golf course is very welcoming and the food is great. Never quite got in to Blackwaterfoot itself but the beach and beyond is wonderful with Kings Cave being a worthwhile destination for any walker.

55.503795,-5.339989

MichaelU
29-09-2011, 20:06
I know we are wild about wild camping but every now and then I need a good shower...

Seal beach camp site at Kildonan is on the beach. Motorhomes welcome - in fact the owner asked if we snored, and when we confessed he sent us in to the corner of the site... Electric hookup and 17 a night was not an issue, the site , like much of the Island is glorious. Next door, in the hotel and restaurant, is a great glass conservatory in which to dine on wholesome food and awesome fish.

55.440956,-5.113741

MichaelU
29-09-2011, 20:19
55.548804,-5.094502 for the car park with the view of Holy Island.

We spent several nights here walking to the point and watching the birdlife. Shared the area with some oddly quiet geese who arrived at tea time as well as flocks of oyster catchers.

A great spot to hide away.

Lamlash golf club is probably the best venue for a good meal and a drink. It's odd, as a golfer I don't think twice about calling in to a club house for a meal and a drink, we don't often play a round either, but the facilities and often the views are better than most pubs. We are always made incredibly welcome and the snobbery doesn't exist north of Carlisle! Prices are good too.

MichaelU
29-09-2011, 20:28
The beach at Sannox is lovely. A true free camp with the hotel across the road offering breakfasts as well as evening meals and drinks to free campers. Tents come and go as do motorcaravans and at Easter we had the area to ourselves for two peaceful nights. Whilst it is adjacent to the "main" road, i think we counted no more than a dozen cars from 9:00 pm to 9:00 am. I guess summer might be a little busier but no midges , no crowds and lovely weather so Easter it is for us.

Wake to the seals and walk the most wonderful sandy beach at Sannox.

500 metres away is the 9 hole Corrie Golf Club where apart from the most amazing views from a golf course anywhere, there is an all day cafe serving good food and drink.
Twenty metres away is a block of toilets.

Park at 54.283103,-0.39228

:mad:

benny
13-08-2013, 09:04
Great ideas for camping spots, anyone got any secret must see or must dos for Arran?

When we went to skye the best places were the 'secret' ones not broadly 'advertised'
by the tourist board.

Also, we are going next week and have a request to see some seals dolphins or sharks - where is the best viewpoint where we might catch a glimpse?

Thanks
Benny

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS