PDA

View Full Version : Southwold

hjl
13-10-2008, 16:42
I had a conversation with the parking warden in the large public car park at the North end of the town and he told me that you could park overnight (6 pm to 8am) for 60p. He said that the overnight parking charge was not intended to apply to motorhomes but the signs didn't say so. As far as he was concerned it was perfectly legal. I checked the other car park near the harbour entrance and the posted parking rules were the same.

klop
13-11-2008, 13:01
i seem to remember reading no overnight camping though on the signs??

Nosha
17-11-2008, 18:43
Ah that's the same as Poole town centre by the flyover... 60p to park overnight... but NO overnight camping!

So at a push if you sleep in the van with no lights on, and you don't answer any knocks at the door was the vehicle simply parked overnight?

Mind you aren't we all getting a bit paranoid? If you buy and display a 60p ticket is there anyone really checking if there's anyone asleep in a vehicle after the traffic wardens have gone home at 6:00pm!?!

Baconsdozen
30-03-2011, 09:32
Southwold have now banned motorhomes form most of the town.
Mind you with two little trays of horrible chips costing 3.90p and shops charging 50% more than elsewhere you aren't missing much.

MartianTom
20-09-2011, 09:55
Southwold have now banned motorhomes form most of the town.

Really? I spent 2 days and nights in Southwold last week (mid-Sept.) and wild-camped each night - once on the seafront and once in a side road. l didn't get bothered once. I also saw three motorhomes parked up overnight in the carpark by the harbour (though the sign specifically states 'no camping').

The campsite on the harbour charges, I was told, about 15 a night without electrical hook-up. I spoke to a couple of locals, too, who saw me come out of my bus one morning. I thought they were going to have a go at me - but they just said 'Good luck to you!'

As has been said, if your windows are blacked out and there's no sign of a light - who's to know you're in there?

activecampers
20-09-2011, 10:50
Hmmm.

I think I would be authoritative here as I was the carpark inspector in Southwold for 2 years on summer jobs (1990 ish?) and lived there for 10+ :)

The pier and harbour carpark (P&D) are council run, and at least when I was there, it was clearly marked for no overnight camping. And yes, I did book a van once.... I only wokred 9-5 ish, and no checks were made overnight, but of course checks were made in the morning. I was one of the nice guys, gave 30m if there was no ticket, and at least an hour over if it ran out. I also used to go over to the beach huts and see if I could find the owners :) I did get the odd cuppa in payment lol! In those days, it was 1 all day parking, and 25 fine (or 8 if paid in 2 weeks) - so was fairly fair really. I also had 2 days off a week and no one checked on the off days.... I also had no uniform and just walked around between the 2 carparks in shorts every day in the summer. Quite enjoyed that job!!

However, the pier car park ends and goes to gravel. I was told that belonged to someone else, some coastal charity who I can't recall, and hence even though everyone still bought tickets, if you were on the gravel at teh far NORTH END of the pier car park, then I left you alone.

There is also a small car park on Ferry road near the boating lake which was not checked and is not P&D - I'd probably use this if I was returning. The harbour is under control of the harbour, and though it is flagged as a wild camping spot here, I think it may be tollerated only. Also flat and no restrictions near the water towers.

Never seen signs excluding MH from the town - thogh on some roads there you'd me mad to try, though as a standard size Transit we go anywhere.

There are enough flat, wide roads with free unrestricted parking, and if you use these just consider the locals as if you block their view for 2 weeks with a big monstrosity - then the rules are going to change... There are enough places to hide without blocking any views.

edit: Whilst I am probably the most knowledgable person on here on Southwold P&D carparks, my info is based on 20 years ago (sh*t I now feel old) - and hence may not be accurate today.

dodge2transit
19-06-2012, 22:52
im not trying to find a loop hole here but i keep reading on the forum and on the road, no camping , surly that means no tents right as i always see in my head camping =tents and camping vans = camping vans. am i just being thick lol and dont hold back on the answer . or could i be right.?

this is why i ask, found on wiki

Camping is an outdoor recreational activity. The participants (known as campers) leave urban areas, their home region, or civilization and enjoy nature while spending one or several nights outdoors, usually at a campsite. Camping may involve the use of a tent, caravan, motorhome, cabin, a primitive structure, or no shelter at all. In many parts of the world[where?], 'camping' refers exclusively to the use of tents or similar portable structures[

Smurf
26-07-2014, 18:57
The small car park on Ferry road near the boating lake is used for overnight camping and all the people I've spoken to have said they never have any problems, it's free as well...

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS