PDA

View Full Version : Charleville Mezieres & Arras - Sites?

durhamwasp
15-10-2008, 21:22
Hi guys,

any good wild camping spots in and around these 2 towns, or any campsites still open at this time of the year?

Thanks!

Belgian
15-10-2008, 21:48
Hi guys,

any good wild camping spots in and around these 2 towns, or any campsites still open at this time of the year?

Thanks!
Me again,
Have a look at 'Ardennes departement O8'
This a twin town. You have to be in Charleville - the northern town
There is a nice aire at the yachtharbour, next to the camping (open ?) , rue des Paquis (N 49 46 40.8, E 4 43 11.5);8 pl parking free and services for 3€; and about 500m to the central place on the other side of the Meuse river.

Belgian
15-10-2008, 21:58
For Arras: have a look in 'Pas de Calais (dept 62)
You can park there in 'Grand Place' or 'Place des Héros' both in the centre.
The whole town was destroyed in WWI but rebuild in flemish style.

janeandbob
16-10-2008, 08:24
Hi This: http://airecampingcar.com/aire_camping_car_gps.php/1884-Charleville-mezieres

:D Bob.

durhamwasp
16-10-2008, 08:26
What excactly is "aire" service?

I understand its a location where you can get water, electricity, air etc for your motorhome, but are you allowed to camp at these spots overnight? Thank you!

janeandbob
16-10-2008, 08:39
hi Yes that what they are for, we use them all the time, sometimes you get everything FREE including Electric, we only use the ones in small towns and villages and not the autoroute ones. Good Luck. Bob.:D

durhamwasp
16-10-2008, 08:41
Thanks Bob!

So the ones in Arras seem to be OK for overnight sleeping? Seems good to me, as we have had trouble finding an official site that is open at this time of year.

Have u experience of Arras, and do you know if its safe and not likely to get wrong from police?!

Cheers!

janeandbob
16-10-2008, 08:45
Hi we have not stopped at Arras but have past through there, and to be honest most of these aires are fine we have never hsd a problem. Bob.:D

janeandbob
16-10-2008, 08:56
When are you going over? we have just got back last week and had a month there, we travel down through France in January and when it gets cold they turn the water off at some aires to stop it freezing, but if you are going shortly it will be fine. Bob.:D

durhamwasp
16-10-2008, 08:58
this weekend :D

janeandbob
16-10-2008, 09:10
Hope you have a good time you will have to get yourself at Aires book, you can get it in English we might get one next year I think you can get them from : http://www.vicarious-shop.co.uk/index.php

I wish I was coming with you, But my daughter is moving out into her new house, and its not just to help her its to make sure she goes.:D;) Thanks Bob.

durhamwasp
16-10-2008, 09:24
haha!

Yep think i could buy one of those books for the future, very useful i think. Wonder if other countries have similar books, Belgium, Germany etc?

Thanks for your help Bob

janeandbob
16-10-2008, 09:29
Germany This:

http://www.vicarious-shop.co.uk/search.php?c_id=0&sc_id=0&search=stellplatz

Belgian
16-10-2008, 14:14
Thanks Bob!

So the ones in Arras seem to be OK for overnight sleeping? Seems good to me, as we have had trouble finding an official site that is open at this time of year.

Have u experience of Arras, and do you know if its safe and not likely to get wrong from police?!

Cheers!
An 'aire' is an official overnight site for MH's. Most of them have free overnighting and services (tap, drain grey and black) for free or at most 3€.
There are thousends of them in France. Have a look at http://www.i-campingcar.fr/accueilcartes.htm. If no aire is available you have the right to spent 1 night on any public parking in France that suits you. Note: overnight parking; not camping (all 'activities' have to take place IN the van :confused::D).
In and around Arras is no aire (departement 62, Pas de Calais; has few aires).
You can overnight park in the 'Grande Place' (a nice setting) but in centre town. A possibility for wilding however is the Canadian WWI memorial at Vimy about 10km north of Arras.
Books: for Belgium download the lists here on this site.
Germany: 'ADAC Stellplatz Führer' the best - but in German ('Stellplatz' is the German for 'aire')
Leo

durhamwasp
16-10-2008, 15:36
Thanks, im well impressed with that Aire in Charleville, will defo be spending the night there :D

Think Grande Place looks favourable for Arras too.

Belgian
16-10-2008, 18:31
Thanks, im well impressed with that Aire in Charleville, will defo be spending the night there :D

Think Grande Place looks favourable for Arras too.
Bienvenue en France et à la Belgique - welkom in België :cool
You'll do allright there in Arras. Charleville is a nice spot; there even is a 'friterie' (fish+ chips- without fish :eek:) Don't hesitate to ask if any ???
::confused:
Have a good time and enjoy :)

jann
18-10-2008, 12:41
There is parking next to the river at Montherme, which is north of Charleville-Mezieres.
The services are at a separate place about half a mile from town.
Also at Bohan which is just in Belgium.There is a designated parking area at the edge of the village near the campsite, but most vans park next to the river, near to the shops.

durhamwasp
26-10-2008, 20:36
OK guys, im back, absolutely wicked holiday!

Used the WC spot for Leuven (as mentioned in Belgian forum) and stayed in the Aire at Charleville with 8 other camper vans, great facility, tho the toilets were locked closed.

Didnt end up wildcamping in Arras city centre, instead found out of a campsite in Villiers-Brulin on our route to St Pol sur T, however, this campsite was the scariest one ever! Maybes ive watched too many horror movies (the hills have eyes being the main one) but when we turned up at 7.30pm there was not a single person in the 'village' and the campsite did not have one light there! There were no other campers and a few permanent caravans scattered about. Every light in the village turned off at 10pm and the farm nearby made some seriously scary noises!

The next day the owner showed up, was a really nice guy and let our stay be free so we got the showers etc for nothing, which made up for the 4 hours sleep!

janeandbob
26-10-2008, 21:11
Hi glad you had a good time, know you have got a taste for it, we will not be able to stop you.:D Bob.;)

Belgian
26-10-2008, 21:27
OK guys, im back, absolutely wicked holiday!

Used the WC spot for Leuven (as mentioned in Belgian forum) and stayed in the Aire at Charleville with 8 other camper vans, great facility, tho the toilets were locked closed.

Didnt end up wildcamping in Arras city centre, instead found out of a campsite in Villiers-Brulin on our route to St Pol sur T, however, this campsite was the scariest one ever! Maybes ive watched too many horror movies (the hills have eyes being the main one) but when we turned up at 7.30pm there was not a single person in the 'village' and the campsite did not have one light there! There were no other campers and a few permanent caravans scattered about. Every light in the village turned off at 10pm and the farm nearby made some seriously scary noises!

The next day the owner showed up, was a really nice guy and let our stay be free so we got the showers etc for nothing, which made up for the 4 hours sleep!
I'm glad you survived Belgium and France :eek::):D:rolleyes::o

durhamwasp
27-10-2008, 07:10
haha

Now ive just gotta sort myself out a satellite dish system that will work in the UK and Europe. Any advice?

Im thinking a 60cm on a tripod, then will need to buy a receiver box.

wints
31-10-2008, 14:40
I took the maplins 'sat in a suitcase' to south of france and got a picture almost everywhere. I also rigged up a spare sky dish to an alu pole, jubilee clipped to the rear ladders, and also got a picture. Those were experiments to see how easy / diff it was to work. It was my intention then to get a maxview wind-up dish but on the m/home fun site there are several unhappy owners of that dish, so I think I'll wait.
regards
Allen

Rogerde
01-03-2009, 11:13
North of Charleville there is an interesting place for campers : in Fumay.

This is the region where the river Meuse bends north to enter Belgium.

In Fumay there is a good spot about here :

N49 59 46.7 E4 42 32.9 where the river enters Fumay.

It is a large open ground along the Meuse. Very quiet as there is almost no trafic and if there is, there are too many potholes to allow young heroes to speed up.

Do not stand in the middle of the spot if the wind is southwesterly. This is also a paragliding landing. the start is in fromt of you : the open place at the top of the ridge. There is a nice view from there. But too much traffic to stay overnight.

There is also a good camping in Fumay. Should maybe be 10 - 11€ for one camper - 2 persons. The camping is situated at the major paragliding landing area (West wind) and one of the main paragliding sites in the Ardennes.

If you are adventurous : further south the river there is a special attracion. You can cross the Meuse, hung in a harness attached to a steel cable. Distance : maybe 2 km's. height : maybe 150 meters. speed : i guess abt 120 km/h
And if you have bikes : there is a cycle path along the river which stretches far in Belgium and which is very pleasant on a sunny morning

Veel plezier !

skipperted
18-03-2009, 16:06
hi try a quiet place called Pont a Bar , at the bridge over the canal des ardennes on the d764 between Dom le Mesnil and Sedan . There is a pub , with bread if ordered previously , and a few boats . I have stayed there with barge and camper lots of room and picnic tables etc etc . water at the canal offices , no other services. Supermarket a bike ride away in Dom ( but not sadly along towpath as too overgrown ) The canal des ardennes is worth exploring . Travelling from Sedan the stop is on your right opposite pub just BEFORE going over the canal bridge. I will be there early april on way south.

Belgian
18-03-2009, 19:44
Hi Skipperted
I desperately tried to keep this secret :eek:; but I'm glad you found that spot too. ;):D Really a little gem isn't it ? :)
Worth exploring is the D24 almost alongside the canal. Must be even better by boat: only 27 sluces. There are ruins of a castle at 'La Cassine'; there is a small parking at the church (quiet only for the bells). Near le Chesne is a lake 'lac de Bairon' with a camping on a beach.
At le Chesle is a nice overnight spot near the church and the canal.
This is really an almost forgotten part of France.

t&s
18-03-2009, 19:45
I took the maplins 'sat in a suitcase' to south of france and got a picture almost everywhere. I also rigged up a spare sky dish to an alu pole, jubilee clipped to the rear ladders, and also got a picture. Those were experiments to see how easy / diff it was to work. It was my intention then to get a maxview wind-up dish but on the m/home fun site there are several unhappy owners of that dish, so I think I'll wait.
regards
Allen
i have a 65 cm maxview dish and get sky all over europe although you have to be clear of the trees to get a good signal
sometimes getting a signal is harder than other times but i put it down to the sky reciever or me as the opperator of the dish allignment rather than the dish system it self

wints
19-03-2009, 08:50
i have a 65 cm maxview dish and get sky all over europe although you have to be clear of the trees to get a good signal
sometimes getting a signal is harder than other times but i put it down to the sky reciever or me as the opperator of the dish allignment rather than the dish system it self

Hi t&s
the problem reported on motorhomefun was that the dish internal gear mechanics moved in fairly light winds. One guy even had a maxview mechanic come to his house and check the (self) installation and confirm that as being in accordance with instructions.

I'm still ok with my dish (fortex 60 cm with big elevation markings on the bracket, better than sky dish) on alloy pole jubilee clipped to ladder.

Allen

t&s
19-03-2009, 21:33
all the dishes i have had in the past moved a bit even if the tripods blow over in high winds the maxiview dose have an inbuilt locking mechanisum but is not to bad in strong wind although there is a little rocking
i just renewed the dowel pind snd that cured it i had to do the same with the
spaceship dish
in high winds we look at each other rather than the tv although it is not as intresting
just found this for those who dont want to pay for sky:https://www.satalogue.com/

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS