PDA

View Full Version : Highlands - One Addition and Quite A Few Comments

Lima Delta
16-05-2015, 19:38
On my travels in the Highlands, here are a few comments about POIs I’ve visited. Apologies if I’m repeating some things that are already known.

OR & CR Glen Loy – There’s a 7’6” width restriction on this road. It may be that this is already noted in the database, but I can’t get on Google Earth at the moment to check the notes, so thought I’d mention it.

CR Loch Oich – I nearly pulled into this one when I clocked the height restriction barrier. It may be, if I looked at the Streetview I’d find that there’s a place in front of the barrier, but I didn’t pull in for fear of not being able to turn, and I don’t have enough internet to check at the moment.

CR Bridge of Oich – car park is currently barricaded off as a construction site. Hopefully it will reopen in due course.

CU Fort Augustus – There’s a ‘No Overnight Parking’ sign; not one of the black on yellow ones, but a Highlands Council black-on-white sign. No idea whether it has any legal backing.

LR Loch Lochy – This is a layby right adjacent to the A82 trunk road. No separation from the carriageway and not a deep layby. I’d question whether it should be in the database (and why stay there when CR Loch Lochy is just up the road and superb)?

LR Loch Tarff – There’s no longer a layby at the point marked in the POI file. Looks like the area was commandeered for the recent carriageway widening works, and there’s now a big ‘Keep Clear’ in front of a gateway (there’s a lovely flat, surfaced area the other side of the gateway, but as the gate is tied to its posts, and doesn’t have any hinges, it’d be quite a stretch to think it was an official parking area). There is now a new marked out parking area a couple of hundred metres back down the loch, but it’s right adjacent to the road and on ‘the wrong side’ of a bend, so I personally wouldn’t want to stay there.

CR Torness – Another one that’s been barricaded off as a construction site, for the nearby pylon work. There is still a thin strip of layby available, although during a weekday it was full of construction vehicles. At the moment LR Ceo Glais is a much better bet, but it looked like it should re-open in due course.

CR Loch Ruthven – This is a RSPB car park and it has a ‘No Overnight Parking’ sign (not visible when something is parked in front of it). No idea as to the enforceability of the sign, but as the car park is within sight of a couple of houses it put me off staying for fear of confrontation (although I am a bit cautious when I’m on my own!). However, there’s a cracking spot further along the same road – see below:

OR Loch Ruthven – Can I just give a grid reference for this for the moment, as I don’t have enough internet to be downloading maps and getting a lat/long? For the same reason I haven’t checked to see if it’s on the Streetview images, but it definitely exists. It’s at NH 61768 28319. A really nice spot, and I got myself dead level on it :-). There’s no width restriction on the road, but it is narrow with limited passing places (mind, it’s also very quiet indeed).

That’s it for now…

POI Admin
17-05-2015, 13:55
Thanks for your updates - much appreciated. I have added some comments below:

On my travels in the Highlands, here are a few comments about POIs I’ve visited. Apologies if I’m repeating some things that are already known.

OR & CR Glen Loy – There’s a 7’6” width restriction on this road. It may be that this is already noted in the database, but I can’t get on Google Earth at the moment to check the notes, so thought I’d mention it.

Can't imagine this is a problem - I should imagine it's a deterrent to HGVs ...

CR Loch Oich – I nearly pulled into this one when I clocked the height restriction barrier. It may be, if I looked at the Streetview I’d find that there’s a place in front of the barrier, but I didn’t pull in for fear of not being able to turn, and I don’t have enough internet to check at the moment.

There is indeed space outside the height barrier.

CR Bridge of Oich – car park is currently barricaded off as a construction site. Hopefully it will reopen in due course.

CU Fort Augustus – There’s a ‘No Overnight Parking’ sign; not one of the black on yellow ones, but a Highlands Council black-on-white sign. No idea whether it has any legal backing.

I believe this is purely advisory!

LR Loch Lochy – This is a layby right adjacent to the A82 trunk road. No separation from the carriageway and not a deep layby. I’d question whether it should be in the database (and why stay there when CR Loch Lochy is just up the road and superb)?

I have removed this from the POIs as you recommend.

LR Loch Tarff – There’s no longer a layby at the point marked in the POI file. Looks like the area was commandeered for the recent carriageway widening works, and there’s now a big ‘Keep Clear’ in front of a gateway (there’s a lovely flat, surfaced area the other side of the gateway, but as the gate is tied to its posts, and doesn’t have any hinges, it’d be quite a stretch to think it was an official parking area). There is now a new marked out parking area a couple of hundred metres back down the loch, but it’s right adjacent to the road and on ‘the wrong side’ of a bend, so I personally wouldn’t want to stay there.

I have removed this from the POIs.

CR Torness – Another one that’s been barricaded off as a construction site, for the nearby pylon work. There is still a thin strip of layby available, although during a weekday it was full of construction vehicles. At the moment LR Ceo Glais is a much better bet, but it looked like it should re-open in due course.

CR Loch Ruthven – This is a RSPB car park and it has a ‘No Overnight Parking’ sign (not visible when something is parked in front of it). No idea as to the enforceability of the sign, but as the car park is within sight of a couple of houses it put me off staying for fear of confrontation (although I am a bit cautious when I’m on my own!). However, there’s a cracking spot further along the same road – see below:

Again I think this shouldn't be a problem for discrete overnighters.

OR Loch Ruthven – Can I just give a grid reference for this for the moment, as I don’t have enough internet to be downloading maps and getting a lat/long? For the same reason I haven’t checked to see if it’s on the Streetview images, but it definitely exists. It’s at NH 61768 28319. A really nice spot, and I got myself dead level on it :-). There’s no width restriction on the road, but it is narrow with limited passing places (mind, it’s also very quiet indeed).

There's nothing suitable on Streetview at this location. Please check ...

That’s it for now…

euramobilpete
17-05-2015, 14:49
We overnighted in the RSPB car park a few nights ago with no problems. Arrived about 5 as the birdwatchers were leaving and had it to ourselves. Saw several locals dog walking and a few cars/farm vehicles but no dirty looks etc. Left by 9 and left no trace of our visit.

Lima Delta
17-05-2015, 18:39
Thanks for your updates - much appreciated. I have added some comments below:

There's nothing suitable on Streetview at this location. Please check ...

Right, I've got myself on t'internet proper and had a look at Streetview and it seems that this pull-in is newer than the Streetview image. I'm kicking myself now for not having taken a photo. It's an area where the bank has been excavated, creating what looks like an ultra-small quarry - or, for our purposes, a nice deep dirt layby, the front of which is nice and level, and boasting excellent views.

POI Admin
17-05-2015, 18:47
Right, I've got myself on t'internet proper and had a look at Streetview and it seems that this pull-in is newer than the Streetview image. I'm kicking myself now for not having taken a photo. It's an area where the bank has been excavated, creating what looks like an ultra-small quarry - or, for our purposes, a nice deep dirt layby, the front of which is nice and level, and boasting excellent views.

No problem - could you please confirm the latitude and longitude?

Lima Delta
17-05-2015, 19:42
If it's not exactly at 57.324083,-4.297456, then it's very close - perhaps a tiny touch further west along the road, but not more than a handful of metres. It'd be so much easier if the Streetview car could just nip up and update that image!

POI Admin
17-05-2015, 20:31
Thank you - I've added it to the Wild Camp POIs :D

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS