PDA

View Full Version : Glenelg Beach

christine
17-05-2015, 15:22
Hi, not been here for a few years, has anyone up to date info on whether the camping is still allowed on the beach enroute to the Kylerhea ferry please? Hope this is the correct reference.

57.223757, -5.632206

Thanks in advance.

james1508
17-05-2015, 18:48
Hello, it was ok last April/ May (2014) but not been up that way yet this year. It was very busy though, we decided to stay at the High view point that looks over the 5 Sisters on the way to yours . Have a good One, heading that way ourselves soon .

Hi, not been here for a few years, has anyone up to date info on whether the camping is still allowed on the beach enroute to the Kylerhea ferry please? Hope this is the correct reference.

57.223757, -5.632206

Thanks in advance.

christine
18-05-2015, 08:18
Thanks James. Will have a look at the beach as we have a small boat we would like to use but failing that, will return to the viewpoint.

Obanboy666
18-05-2015, 09:32
Hello, it was ok last April/ May (2014) but not been up that way yet this year. It was very busy though, we decided to stay at the High view point that looks over the 5 Sisters on the way to yours . Have a good One, heading that way ourselves soon .

Where exactly is the view point ? Like the look of it and may stop off there.

caledonia
18-05-2015, 09:39
It's on the Ratagan pass, between Shiel Bridge and Glenelg. Take the ferry to Skye instead of the bridge, well worth the detour if you like Sea Eagles and dolphins.

Obanboy666
18-05-2015, 09:46
It's on the Ratagan pass, between Shiel Bridge and Glenelg. Take the ferry to Skye instead of the bridge, well worth the detour if you like Sea Eagles and dolphins.

Found it ! Will definitely stop off there on route to the ferry next month.

Alf
18-05-2015, 10:52
Take note this is the viewpoint half way up Ratagen from Sheila Bridge and
not the viewpoint on the summit which is rather smaller and more as sloping.
This is our preferred way to and from Skye

Alf

Obanboy666
18-05-2015, 11:41
I have looked at the ferry website, nothing about what size vehicles it will take. I assume my 21' coach built will be ok ?

Alf
18-05-2015, 12:02
From memory it is about an 6 car ferry the roads from Sheil Bridge and the road from Kylerhea is quite narrow and twisting road if you are travelling on your own it will be a challenge. One reason we always preferred. PVC conversion.

I have looked at the ferry website, nothing about what size vehicles it will take. I assume my 21' coach built will be ok ?

Obanboy666
18-05-2015, 12:05
From memory it is about an 6 car ferry the roads from Sheil Bridge and the road from Kylerhea is quite narrow and twisting road if you are travelling on your own it will be a challenge. One reason we always preferred. PVC conversion.

Many thanks, will try it next month.

Loki
18-05-2015, 15:20
It used to be lovely on the beach all year round but sad to say in the last few years in the summer it's become a magnet for some very undesirables. Caravans with generators and washing lines, human excrement, nappies, litter, etc; and very crowded.
Personaly there is no way I'd even contemplate staying there during the summer months now, spring autumn and winter only for me.

caledonia
18-05-2015, 17:34
The road is passable in an artic and 40ft tipping trailer as Viridor empty the bottle banks at Glenelg. :o

kernewek
18-05-2015, 17:45
Here's our camper getting on the ferry :scared:

Alf
18-05-2015, 18:16
I think the ferry is the last one to have operated at Ballachulish before the bridge ( anyone remember that and the Piper walking the queue )
it has a side loading turntable this was used when the cliff collapsed at Loch Carron and the opened up a ferry service at Stromeferry until the road was cleared a few years back.

Alf

christine
19-05-2015, 14:11
That doesn't sound too good, Loki. Will still give it a look.

Danthevan
19-05-2015, 18:35

We went on it several years ago with a VW Transporter long wheelbase (Autosleeper Topaz) and nearly peed ourselves. :scared: I personally wouldn't take anything larger on it.

I assume that it is the same ferryboat as then. You drive onto a ramp thing that is then rotated onto the boat.

Plenty of videos on YouTube. "Kylerhea Ferry"

james1508
19-05-2015, 20:42
Where exactly is the view point ? Like the look of it and may stop off there.

Hello, see you have found it . It's a great spot , well worth a stop over .

Regards

redsmall6
19-05-2015, 23:22
my "van" on kylerhea ferry

Alf
31-05-2015, 18:55
Anyone visiting Glenelg ought to try to see The Berbera Barracks and the Glenelg Brochs

Alf

GLENELG Brochs Dun Telve and Dun Troddan

These are fantastic Iron Age Brochs the quality of the dry stone walling is fantastic.
It would be best to park on the coast road and walk to visit these as the road is very narrow a PVC will manage but a coachbuilt will struggle

Historic Scotland - Glenelg Brochs: Dun Telve And Dun Troddan Property Detail (http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/propertyresults/propertydetail.htm?PropID=PL_142)

Abandoned Bernera Barracks, Glenelg, Scotland

Bernera Barracks is one of four barracks built in Scotland during the early 1700ís by the Hanovarian Government to suppress the Jacobites. The others are at Kiliwhimen, Ruthven and Inversnaid.

Bernera was built to house a garrison of up to 200 soldiers and is strategically located to control the crossing at Kylerhea. The officers did not live in the barracks but were accommodated in a row of buildings, which still exist but are now private houses, located opposite the Glenelg shop and known locally as the Officers Quarters.

Construction started in 1720, a year after the battle of Glenshiel and was completed in 1725. Some of the material used to build the barracks was taken from the Brochs in Glen Beag. The twin blocks are four storeys high and are generally regarded as the finest of the four built.

By 1800, rooms in the barracks were available to rent at one pound per year. By 1830 the barracks had become a poor house and thereafter the buildings fell to ruins. In the 1990's, plans were lodged to renovate the buildings, we didn;t hear of any such plans from the neighbour.

The barracks are very much abandoned.

eddyt
01-06-2015, 21:22

57.223757, -5.632206

Thanks in advance.

i was up there two weeks ago the first part of the beach hed 7 tourers on and one vw camper.
none of the tourers were occupied. the second part of the beach had 5 tourers and one tent.
there was one camper when i arrived on sunday night he pulled off the next day then a merc vito arrived
plenty of room to park.

eddyt
01-06-2015, 21:33
That doesn't sound too good, Loki. Will still give it a look.

the beach is clean and tidy. one tourer that was occupied runs a generator during the day.
during the summer holidays a bunch of divers rent the field next to the beach they run a compressor
to fill the diving bottles which is very loud they have lines up.

runnach
01-06-2015, 21:59
during the summer holidays a bunch of divers rent the field next to the beach they run a compressor
to fill the diving bottles which is very loud they have lines up.

That'll be yon Dive Tramp, he is a member here, hope he reads :cool::ninja:

Lia
01-06-2015, 23:09
Hi we went past the beach this April and there where a few campers along there, and yes can recommend the viewpoint, roughly 2 miles along the scenic route from Shiel bridge, just fabulous!

christine
02-06-2015, 13:13
OK, many thanks for all the updates. As it will now be during the English and Scottish school holidays when we make it northwards, I am guessing all those caravans will be occupied. Will just have to be prepared to end up elsewhere if it's not to our liking.Thanks again, much appreciated.

eddyt
02-06-2015, 16:16
OK, many thanks for all the updates. As it will now be during the English and Scottish school holidays when we make it northwards, I am guessing all those caravans will be occupied. Will just have to be prepared to end up elsewhere if it's not to our liking.Thanks again, much appreciated.
what they do is leave the caravans parked all summer and just visit at weekends or when they get spare time

christine
06-07-2015, 21:46
Well, we found the second beach camp quieter with less permanent caravans and just a couple of tourers. The first part had permanent caravans lining the beach front, fairly close together.

Met a great bloke in a motorhome who was there until October . He told us the caravans that are on the beach all summer are owned by locals who let their houses out in season which is when they occupy their vans.

Got the boat out and caught so many mackerel and pollock, incredible and very reassuring regarding the fish population.

christine
09-07-2015, 22:22
Our first catch from our boat at Glenelg.

Plenty more after that!!!!

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS