PDA

View Full Version : Monsal Head

stuart0hall
04-01-2006, 16:23
You can park at the Monsal Head car park overnight for 10p. Next to the pub
Must be a bargain

mark7
12-01-2006, 15:53
yea you sure can and what a place to park up for the nite..ilove it up there..

wildone
12-01-2006, 20:24
never camped there but ive been a few times - definatly reccomend a slight de-tour just for the veiw!! :)

mark7
06-04-2006, 22:57
its 20p now to park the nite>>>>>>>wow.. well worth the money. pub..food..view.

jyates
05-07-2006, 18:35
This is an excellent spot for the view and the beer at the pub. We stayed there last weekend due to finding it on this site. The overnight parking of 20p is from 10.00pm to 8.00am, we paid £1.50 for 2hours because we arrived at 8.00pm and a further £1 for 1 hour next morning, although we never saw anybody come round and check. The carpark has toilets as well. Excellent spot.

Bongomaniac
29-08-2006, 14:10
Stopped there the weekend before the bank holiday on our way up to North Yorkshire.

Fantastic location, especially when I saw it in all its glory in the morning.

No bother and only for 20 pence. Didn't try the pub as we got there too late, but will do next time.

Cheers for the great site.

marmalade
19-09-2006, 06:30
Spent Saturday there. Pub food great and what view in the morning. Never saw anybody checking but paid our way.

maninahat
25-11-2006, 14:41
Is it level there? Its a long time since I've been there (before we got the van), but I seem to remember it was on quite a slope.
Thinking of making that the first stop next year.

rogerivy
25-11-2006, 18:40
Where exactly is this place?

maninahat
25-11-2006, 18:47
http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.srf?x=418500&y=371500&z=3&sv=monsal+head&st=3&tl=Monsal+Head,+Derbyshire+&searchp=newsearch.srf&mapp=newmap.srf

marmalade
01-01-2007, 14:54
Is it level there? Its a long time since I've been there (before we got the van), but I seem to remember it was on quite a slope.
Thinking of making that the first stop next year.

Its not dead flat but ok even without ramp thingys we were fine. Right at the top is best and you will be looking over the valley. It does get really busy early on nice weekends.

steve4kay
01-01-2007, 15:31
just checked out the map but still no wiser..which county is it in and os grid ref if poss. i am just too idle to look at the map until tomorrow !! also got a stinking cold !

virgil
01-01-2007, 17:38
Looking at the thread lead at the top of the page I would say it's in Derbyshire......

steve4kay
01-01-2007, 17:40
now why did i not think of that ! good on yer virgil !

rebbyvid
14-01-2007, 09:15
Where exactly is this place?
Its signposted just before you get into Bakewell on the A6 from Buxton .Went to view myself yesterday as we spent the afternoon in Bakewell.The views down the valley are fantastic and if your into walking then you can take the monsal trail ,the old Midland Rail line.Also you can try Bakewell a lovely day out ,but it does get very busy even in winter. try this link http://www.cressbrook.co.uk/visits/monsalhead.php

marmalade
21-10-2007, 17:49
Had another nice night here on friday and woke to find freeezing mist in the valley bellow, fantastic view.

mandrake
21-10-2007, 18:01
glad you enjoyed we have had some lovely weekends there the walk to the viaduct is great but it takes it out of you on the way back did you try the monsel head hotel for a pint and mabey a bite to eat

marmalade
22-10-2007, 22:50
We all had the pie on the Friday night (best ever tasted, it is a ball of pastry with the filling in) and walked down to the viaduct on the saturday morning, mist on the water and frost still in the grass it really was beautifull.

tresrikay
08-12-2007, 15:38
http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff309/tresrikay/digitalphotosmopsyirelandetc154.jpghttp://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff309/tresrikay/digitalphotosmopsyirelandetc153.jpg

sagart
08-12-2007, 21:15
Stayed there in September with wife and dog...great spot and far preferable to her family in Chesterfield (wife's that is)

mandrake
31-12-2007, 16:52
not wanting to sound a bit offish, but if you can only park a veichle under 1.5 ton then any decent size car or 4x4 aint allowed. as for the sighn no camping that has been there for the last 12 months to my knowledge as has the same sighns in matlock and 99% of other car parks we have visited,i think the sighns are there to cover the authorities to stop shall i say the traveling fraternity!!! you know who i mean, from parking up and staying for a month or two. we have stayed at all the car parks round matlock and never had any bother with the attendents, they love a cuppa on a morning JUST PAY THE 20P TICKET FOR THE NIGHT and you will be ok we dont have any probs as yet HAPPY NEW YEAR linda & graham

grath
31-12-2007, 17:00
not wanting to sound a bit offish, but if you can only park a veichle under 1.5 ton then any decent size car or 4x4 aint allowed. as for the sighn no camping that has been there for the last 12 months to my knowledge as has the same sighns in matlock and 99% of other car parks we have visited,i think the sighns are there to cover the authorities to stop shall i say the traveling fraternity!!! you know who i mean, from parking up and staying for a month or two. we have stayed at all the car parks round matlock and never had any bother with the attendents, they love a cuppa on a morning JUST PAY THE 20P TICKET FOR THE NIGHT and you will be ok we dont have any probs as yet HAPPY NEW YEAR linda & graham

Very pleased to hear the above, however I am just pointing out that anyone that camps there is taking a chance.
Just depends on if you get a jobs worth!!!:eek:
Happy new year to you :)

mandrake
31-12-2007, 17:50
i agree with you but they all have the warnings i think we are all safe enough tho

mandrake
31-12-2007, 17:56
just remembered, acording to somone we met during the summer if you drive to the front of the hotel there is a narrow road that leads down into the valley. and along ther is a car park that is ok to stay, i dont know it as we have never been there.but worth a look for next time.

grath
31-12-2007, 17:59
just remembered, acording to somone we met during the summer if you drive to the front of the hotel there is a narrow road that leads down into the valley. and along ther is a car park that is ok to stay, i dont know it as we have never been there.but worth a look for next time.

We looked at that, but it was full and very small.
I don't think it would be a go:confused:

mandrake
31-12-2007, 18:02
hi will it be ok for a quick overnighter sometime whats it like .

grath
31-12-2007, 18:04
hi will it be ok for a quick overnighter sometime whats it like .

It only looked big enough for about 10 / 20 cars so we did not bother looking at it too much
I would rather take a chance on the main car park right up at the back:cool::)

mandrake
31-12-2007, 18:07
cheers mate

sagart
01-01-2008, 08:00
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff262/tramperbucket/IMG_1904.jpg

No Camping ar Monsal Head.
Today 31 Dec 2007
Also no vehicles over 1.5ton

I'm fairly sure this notice, or variations on it, has been up for at least a couple of years. I saw it in 2006 when visiting my wife's family in Chesterfield.
Some official was wandering around and was very chatty about places to visit
and certainly was not bothered about my van being there

grath
01-01-2008, 08:19
Thanks Sagart.
I posted the photo's so that folks that had not been there could see the parking facilities and make their own decision.:D
Mandrake has said the same as you, therefor, I expect it would be quite ok to overnight as long as no jobsworth appears.:cool:;)
As they would have us on 2 counts,
1 Camping:eek:
2 Weight:eek:

mandrake
01-01-2008, 09:08
called up there quite a few times last summer, and there were a few vans staying at different times. one weekend there was a old army forward control landy with just a canvas cover over the back on the saturday, next morning a guy got out of the back ,we passed the time of day as you do and he had his breakfast and fired up and off he went ,it must have had a v8 in as it sounded fantastic. that must have weighed in at about 3.5 ton mabey more, we have stayed there abut 6 times, seems as long as you pay your way nobody seems to give a hoot.

wotto
11-02-2008, 15:28
Just had a great weekend up at monsal and quite abit of black hole in the pub. The sign that you are on about relates to the overflow car park at the back through the gate, weight limit because the overflow car park is grass.
No one wonts that sinking feeling so stick to the tarmac and you will be fine.
speaking to the guy that owns the house at the back of the car park ( the one with the ice cream van outside) said he as never had any problems with vans staying apart from one prat emptying is cem toilet over the grass.

Telstar
11-02-2008, 18:14
I spoke with a council officer last week at Derbyshire Dales Council. She said that the car parks at Monsal Head, Matlock Bath etc have always been no camping. They allow overnight parking because quote 'residents don't always have parking available therefore they allow PARKING overnight. They will ticket if they have reason to believe that you are camping'. On discussing the whole idea of overnight stops her response was about the number of official sites available locally. When I make time I will be writing to the Council about o/n parking/aires. I got the distinct impression that they have a number of concerns (1) travellers taking up residence (2) people abusing the current car parks, (3) parking is already at full capacity at weekends and (4) it is in a national park. I came down heavily on the influencing that if an aire was provided/available we would be spending money in local shops, not on site fees. She also added that she had recently received an email about Cromford from a motorhome owner but didn't elaborate.

I for one will still take the occasional risk, but perhaps the risk is significantly lower out of season!

Jon

11-02-2008, 20:37
I spoke with a council officer last week at Derbyshire Dales Council. She said that the car parks at Monsal Head, Matlock Bath etc have always been no camping. They allow overnight parking because quote 'residents don't always have parking available therefore they allow PARKING overnight. They will ticket if they have reason to believe that you are camping'. On discussing the whole idea of overnight stops her response was about the number of official sites available locally. When I make time I will be writing to the Council about o/n parking/aires. I got the distinct impression that they have a number of concerns (1) travellers taking up residence (2) people abusing the current car parks, (3) parking is already at full capacity at weekends and (4) it is in a national park. I came down heavily on the influencing that if an aire was provided/available we would be spending money in local shops, not on site fees. She also added that she had recently received an email about Cromford from a motorhome owner but didn't elaborate.

I for one will still take the occasional risk, but perhaps the risk is significantly lower out of season!

Jon

Yes, I think that we will all get away with more in the winter when not many cars about:D

tresrikay
12-02-2008, 17:59
:eek:

Jon

Maybe we should all send Emails to these Councills just to get them realising that there is another source of income available overnight so to speak.

Graham Hadfield
13-02-2008, 07:37
:eek:

Maybe we should all send Emails to these Councills just to get them realising that there is another source of income available overnight so to speak.

There are skeleton letters on my web site HERE (http://www.************************/request.htm) if anyone wants to use them.

Graham

hymercamper
31-08-2008, 16:52
stopped at Monsall Head at weekend and then walked the path to Monsall Dale heres the waterfall
http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t203/rebbyvid/bakewell2008014.jpg
Rob

Paul-vw-california
26-12-2008, 18:46
Been up to Monsal Head today, free parking after 2pm at the moment. Still 20p over night. Toilets in good condition.

The Monsal head hotel serves excellent food and beers, Theakstons if anyone is intetrested.

The picture below is of the car park thats signposted - 150 spaces.

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh258/kayakinmad/DSC02397.jpg

mandrake
29-12-2008, 16:58
anyone visiting monsel head must stay at least one night as the beer and food at the monsel head hotel are 1st class also the scenery is outstanding.we have had many weekends there and hopefully will have many more :D dont tell everybody though :D:D:D:D:D:D paul you nicked my overnight spot but i will let you offffffff

cipro
29-12-2008, 17:03
It is already very popular especially weekends and for the C class mh the part of the parking area at the top you can only get three vans level, as far as I can remember:D

mandrake
29-12-2008, 17:12
There are skeleton letters on my web site HERE (http://www.************************/request.htm) if anyone wants to use them.

Graham

hi graham welcome happy new year to you and family dont leave it too long before you come back missed your useful posts and company all the best

mandrake
29-12-2008, 17:14
It is already very popular especially weekends and for the C class mh the part of the parking area at the top you can only get three vans level, as far as I can remember:D
after a night on theakston old peculiar :eek::D:D hic hic level ground seems weird :D:D:D

Paul-vw-california
30-12-2008, 09:23
Theakstons Best bitter is my favorite tipple, and i think this is the closest place to me to buy it!

Masham is a great weekend also!

foxie
29-01-2009, 10:10
Stayed there last night, noticed signs on entrance stated "no camping" and " weight limit of 1500kg. Contravention is 70.00.
Accident waiting to happen?

Pioneer
29-01-2009, 10:32
Hi All, thanks for all the info, must try it out next time passing through Derbyshire,sounds and looks good to me. Cheers.

Happy Camping:)

mandrake
29-01-2009, 13:19
monsel head is a great spot to overnight, we stay quite a lot during the summer nice pub and some great walks

screamer
01-02-2009, 11:30
Hi all
Is this place still available does anyone know? We are thinking of being around here over Easter 2009 and I notice most of these posts are 2006 and 7. Any help appreciated. Thanks

screamer
01-02-2009, 11:34
Stayed there last night, noticed signs on entrance stated "no camping" and " weight limit of 1500kg. Contravention is 70.00.
Accident waiting to happen?

Sounds like that ones out now then.. sigh:mad:

grath
01-02-2009, 11:36
Apparently, the wardens don't bother you, however have you thought of Cromford as not too far away and also very nice and near to Matlock Bath

screamer
01-02-2009, 11:37
Never been to this part of the world before and it will be our first trip in our brand new Adria too! So would you mind telling me where exactly is this spot?

mandrake
01-02-2009, 11:40
to my knowledge it will still be ok in the carpark, but if not there is another car parking area down the steep hill into the valley. its first left after the monsel head hotel. haven't used it personally but i hear its ok. there is a sign that says no camping at the top of the carpark behind the hotel but it has been there as long as i can remember we have never been bothered and quite a few vans use it .

grath
01-02-2009, 11:46
Never been to this part of the world before and it will be our first trip in our brand new Adria too! So would you mind telling me where exactly is this spot?

If you go into Forums and go into meets and gatherings and then go into page 2 at the bottom and maybe page 3. You will find lots of info there.
Look at the Derbyshire meet thread.
Also look up Derbyshire

mandrake
01-02-2009, 12:15
if your using the m1 north take the a38 towards derby ,follow the sign for matlock gullivers world, before you get to matlock bath you will come to cromford cross roads take the right there and the canal carpark is on your right

screamer
17-04-2009, 17:22
Stopped here for one night over Easter weekend.. great .. .GREAT... food at the hotel as well as a good overnight parking spot

rebbyvid
17-04-2009, 21:27
Stop there regular Screamer as you say good food and ale and if you enjoy walking try the walk down Monsall Dale
Here the waterfall on the walk
http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t203/rebbyvid/derbyshire/bakewell2008014.jpg

rebbyvid
17-04-2009, 21:29
Here the view from the car park over the Edge
http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t203/rebbyvid/derbyshire/2008_0608picsfirst0006.jpg

rebbyvid
17-04-2009, 21:37
Heres the canal Screamer very nice walk

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t203/rebbyvid/derbyshire/2008_0608picsfirst0031.jpg

burgyvette
20-04-2009, 11:39
Stayed here for 2 nights this weekend. Camping definitely allowed on the front car park overlooking the valley, 20p overnight 10pm - 8am. Perfect spot!
Yvette

silent rider
26-04-2009, 17:24
:D hi peeps took everyones advice and stayed at monsal carpark 20p for the nite.
the views are amazing the breakfast is good to from hotel pubs good and good toilets in carpark that was open all nite. Very impressed i also met mark7 by sheer chance nice guy cheers mark7 see u there again mate

Jacques le foot
26-04-2009, 21:02
Here's the view from the front carpark. We too stayed overnight, great views, and a very nice pub, the lower part of the back carpark is on a slope, but if you go higher up, it levels out o.k..
Jackie.

http://i608.photobucket.com/albums/tt166/Jacqueslefoot/PICT0005-1.jpg

zeezee16
27-04-2009, 17:51
:D hi peeps took everyones advice and stayed at monsal carpark 20p for the nite.
the views are amazing the breakfast is good to from hotel pubs good and good toilets in carpark that was open all nite. Very impressed i also met mark7 by sheer chance nice guy cheers mark7 see u there again mate

Where exactly is monsal head, cant find it on the map, I know its near Matlock, can you give me some directions.
Cheers, Pete.

rebbyvid
27-04-2009, 18:01
Well before Matlock Pete if your coming from Buxton its a left turn just before you get into Bakewell signposted Ashford up to cricket pitch do a left then first right by pub .Heres a link to it
Monsal Head, a famous Derbyshire Peak District beauty spot. (http://www.cressbrook.co.uk/visits/monsalhead.php)

mark7
28-09-2009, 18:29

Great to meet you aswel, been a few times since and hope to see you there but no....went on friday night, lovely walk on sat and then went in to Matlock to watch the football match...hope to catch you soon mate...

mark7
07-10-2009, 20:36
YouTube - monsal head (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QPToexyXsU)

rach82
11-02-2010, 19:20
Here's the view from the front carpark. We too stayed overnight, great views, and a very nice pub, the lower part of the back carpark is on a slope, but if you go higher up, it levels out o.k..
Jackie.

http://i608.photobucket.com/albums/tt166/Jacqueslefoot/PICT0005-1.jpg

Has anybody stayed at the 20p a night spot recently? Is it still ok to do so?

Many Thanks
Rachel

p40ufh
11-02-2010, 20:17
is it the car park with the toilets or the one on the other side of the pub?

rach82
11-02-2010, 20:28
is it the car park with the toilets or the one on the other side of the pub?

Not sure sorry - we have never been ?:confused:

The one with toilets would be good:D

Billy big bus
11-02-2010, 21:37
Hi rach82 we was up there on 01/11/09, no probs. The back car park is also the back of the hotel/pub and the toilets are there as well but are only 100-150 yds from the front car park with the best view. The front cp is for an hour only stay but after 22:00 it is 20p all night the same as the back. What we did was have a pint and a meal in the pub then we moved the bus round the front. It is more level round there. The pubs good but the meals were a bit pricy, we used to use the place a lot years ago when walking in the Peak. You could do a night there and move up to Millers Dale and the Anglers Rest. Not tried there yet but it is getting good reports on here and is mh/dog friendly. Hope this helps.

p40ufh
13-02-2010, 23:17
do u no where you all go rong? u need a dog on a chain out site your van and a mulach fire in a old oil drum and no peak park parkin bobby will even dare too look at ya!!!! (feel free to pm for translation from sheffield wyborn ***** gypo to queens english) cheers phil

freerange
19-04-2010, 19:59
The food at the Monsal Head is good, but better (and better atmosphere local pub) is the jPack Horse just down the road opposite.

Packhorse Inn | Little Longstone | Peak District Pub (http://www.packhorselongstone.com/)

flashingblade
19-04-2010, 20:19
i don't believe you are all being ripped off !!
there is a lay-by at the side of the main road over looking the viaduct and it's FREE and the council jobs worth can't stop you from setting up camp or even home there !! just kidding. if you're in any doubt, it's free and always empty as long as you can stand traffic passing your van close by.
happy camping....geoff

mandrake
20-04-2010, 11:28
i don't believe you are all being ripped off !!
there is a lay-by at the side of the main road over looking the viaduct and it's FREE and the council jobs worth can't stop you from setting up camp or even home there !! just kidding. if you're in any doubt, it's free and always empty as long as you can stand traffic passing your van close by.
happy camping....geoff

used that one myself is ok ,the only thing i found wrong with the car park is its not flat .the only decent spot is up at the top its more or less flat there and yes the food and drink is exelent in the hotel but it is rather expensive

TeeMyob
08-11-2010, 21:06
Hello,

Are the Car Parks accessible for a very large motorhome?

TM

grath
09-11-2010, 14:13
Hello,

Are the Car Parks accessible for a very large motorhome?

TM

Yes as the dray vehicles deliver to the Hotel.

Andysfast
08-07-2011, 23:53
Hi everyone, been reading for ages, thought it time to have a voice. I see from google street view, a BIG No camping sign in the entrance to the car park behind the pub. So does it mean the fun is over now ? Google maps is a great tool to find pubs on canals and rivers. A few places we have found are, on the cannal outside the Malt shovel and new inn at shardlow Derbyshire, the clock warehouse pub just down the road is great as well. 3 pubs in a row at Gunthorpe bridge Nottingham 1 with a campsite behind it and 1 with a car park right on the river bank. You can walk for miles along the river Trent, there is a greasy elbow pub cafe, a 2 steaks for a tenner pub, an Indian restaurant, an Italian restaurant, a bistro a big wier and a lock, everything for a great weekend.
I've had a few campers and motorhomes over the years, been around a bit, now I'm old married with 2 new kids, so I'm skint. Always looking for somewhere nice, cheap or free to camp. We love pub car parks with a nice view. Our motto is don't make a noise and don't make a mess.

kimbowbill
09-07-2011, 07:45
Hi everyone, been reading for ages, thought it time to have a voice. I see from google street view, a BIG No camping sign in the entrance to the car park behind the pub. So does it mean the fun is over now ? Google maps is a great tool to find pubs on canals and rivers. A few places we have found are, on the cannal outside the Malt shovel and new inn at shardlow Derbyshire, the clock warehouse pub just down the road is great as well. 3 pubs in a row at Gunthorpe bridge Nottingham 1 with a campsite behind it and 1 with a car park right on the river bank. You can walk for miles along the river Trent, there is a greasy elbow pub cafe, a 2 steaks for a tenner pub, an Indian restaurant, an Italian restaurant, a bistro a big wier and a lock, everything for a great weekend.
I've had a few campers and motorhomes over the years, been around a bit, now I'm old married with 2 new kids, so I'm skint. Always looking for somewhere nice, cheap or free to camp. We love pub car parks with a nice view. Our motto is don't make a noise and don't make a mess.

could you supply some co ordinates for these places, i was a boater for many years in Notts and would love to re visit

thanks
Jen

Andysfast
10-07-2011, 23:03
Hi Jen, weve met some great boaters recently, one very nice couple that live on a narrow boat and have a motorhome. We talked for hours and they gave us loads of helpfull tips. They sold us a nearly new set of outside silver screens for our talbot for 20.
Sorry, I should have done it, but as it is now, it was late. I only know how to get post codes and will do it ASAP, if there is an easy way to get co ordinates please let me know. If you are desperate, google might help. Gunthorpe, Nottinghamshire on the river Trent is a must. If you find it on google maps, then go to street view. down river towards Newark is Farndon with a big Marina an a couple of pubs with a big free car park grass woodland walks and toilets. I will look up pub names post codes and phone numbers. Boaters are great people to ask about good free parking as they need to park up near their boats.
Although I read loads of forums, I never post, so if I'm doing things wrong, please let me know, thanks, Andy and Shelley.

georgert1
11-07-2011, 08:20
The postcode for the Monsal Head pub is; DE45 1NL, It is a beautiful spot and if you fancy a stroll go down to Little Longstone , there are a few decent pubs there.Once down the steep hill into the valley you can walk along the valley to Millers Dale, a very pleasant walk.If you are on the A6 coming from Bakewell its only a couple of miles, on your right look out for Ashford in the Water ,you will need to turn just after there then its another couple of miles.enjoy !. :bow:

kimbowbill
11-07-2011, 13:08
Hi Jen, weve met some great boaters recently, one very nice couple that live on a narrow boat and have a motorhome. We talked for hours and they gave us loads of helpfull tips. They sold us a nearly new set of outside silver screens for our talbot for 20.
Sorry, I should have done it, but as it is now, it was late. I only know how to get post codes and will do it ASAP, if there is an easy way to get co ordinates please let me know. If you are desperate, google might help. Gunthorpe, Nottinghamshire on the river Trent is a must. If you find it on google maps, then go to street view. down river towards Newark is Farndon with a big Marina an a couple of pubs with a big free car park grass woodland walks and toilets. I will look up pub names post codes and phone numbers. Boaters are great people to ask about good free parking as they need to park up near their boats.

Although I read loads of forums, I never post, so if I'm doing things wrong, please let me know, thanks, Andy and Shelley.

Hi shelley
dont worry about postcodes, i think i know where you mean, i will look then post co ordinates for other memebers,
quick lesson on how to get co ordintates, go to google in search bar put in the place you want to find, eg, Newark, once you have found the exact location right click on your mouse this brings up a list of options, click on 'whats here' this should the give you the co ordinates in the search bar, then you can copy and paste and share with us on here.

try these co ordinates, copy and paste them into you google maps search bar and it should take you to farndon marina

53.062114,-0.852417

there's probaly another way to do it but thats how i do it, you could also become a full member and this will give you access to all the wilding locations

Jen

Old_Arthur
11-07-2011, 13:16
Hi shelley
dont worry about postcodes, i think i know where you mean, i will look then post co ordinates for other memebers,
quick lesson on how to get co ordintates, go to google in search bar put in the place you want to find, eg, Newark, once you have found the exact location left click on your mouse this brings up a list of options, click on 'whats here' this should the give you the co ordinates in the search bar, then you can copy and paste and share with us on here.

try these co ordinates, copy and paste them into you google maps search bar and it should take you to farndon marina

53.062114,-0.852417

there's probaly another way to do it but thats how i do it, you could also become a full member and this will give you access to all the wilding locations

Jen

err errr should that beee right click ?? i may be wrong i was once before:lol-061:

kimbowbill
11-07-2011, 13:20
err errr should that beee right click ?? i may be wrong i was once before:lol-061:

Arthur mi love, youre never wrong, are you stalking me?, well if you are, its a damn good job your there to pick up the pieces, i have now changed it to right, thank you:lol-053: its because i use the mouse with my right hand, anyway, thats my excuse and i'm sticking to it

Andysfast
12-07-2011, 16:40
We had to go to castleton in Derbyshire today, so we passed Monsal Dale and we had a look for ourselves, there are a couple of no camping signs, but the sign says 40p all night and pay per hourly rate in the daytime and you can park right out of sight at the end of the rear car park, or if you want to be brave, park at the front with a fantastic view. It's also 40p all night until 8am then you can buy another 1 hour, so it would be great. Think we will scrape a few penny's together and try it in a couple of weeks. As people have said in this post, there are lots of beautiful walks from there, and a few local pubs on route, (just to refule you understand) There is a small campsite 200yds down the road. If you are a knac****d old git with a blue badge like me, you can park for free. A bad back and 2 pushchairs means the walks are kept short for us anyway. I look forward to parking next to one of you soon.

keithhep
12-07-2011, 19:40
Monsal Head - Google Maps (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=Monsal+Head&hl=en&ll=53.240064,-1.7248&spn=0.003178,0.00736&sll=52.673988,-3.111191&sspn=0.00644,0.01472&t=h&z=17)

See it on Google 53.24054, -1.7240

sueandmike
18-07-2011, 07:03
Checked out the no camping sign at Monsal Head. when we used the layby for overnight. The main car park has no restrictions on camping overnight, the No Camping notice is on the sign by the overflow car at the back so believe it just refers to this field. Hope I am right as we plan to camp there soon..

Old_Arthur
18-07-2011, 07:11
you are right :yeahthat:

mandrake
18-07-2011, 16:00
a while since we stayed there but those no camping sighns were there when we used it last .nobody bothered us

MichaelU
11-08-2011, 13:26
Up there this week and told that the car park owners had been asked so many times by motorhome owners if it was legal to stay here that they posted NO CAMPING signs to shut them up!

Been parking here on and off for 14 years, paid my 20p for overnight parking too with no trouble but it would appear some motorhome owning jobsworth has put a dampener on this. Will probably try this again when the holiday season is over and it's a bit quieter.

The Anglers down the road appears to be a good option.

Pollyr
11-08-2011, 19:23
just checked out the map but still no wiser..which county is it in and os grid ref if poss. i am just too idle to look at the map until tomorrow !! also got a stinking cold !

just looked at it on google earth - looks a fab place.

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS