PDA

View Full Version : Samsung Galaxy note phone

delicagirl
02-06-2015, 21:52
Hi guys and gals... many of you know how hopeless I am with technololgy so I just thought I would let you know that having bought this new Smart phone in December.. I have just now finished entering my hundreds and hundreds of contact phone numbers into it.... YEA !!!!! Technology - bites the dust !!!!!! ... it has only taken me 5 months to master !!! Perseverance....

- but... I just had a horrid thought... do I have to go through all my contacts again and enter in their email addresses as well.. or can i wait till I put the sim card into the Galaxy note (and then use it as a phone with www connection) and then wait till I get an email from someone and then "save the email address to contacts " just like I can do on my computer ?

thank you

iampatman
02-06-2015, 22:21
I suspect you can trawl through your contacts adding email addresses or, as you say, add the contact details as you receive emails.

Hope this helps,

Pat

delicagirl
02-06-2015, 22:27
I suspect you can trawl through your contacts adding email addresses or, as you say, add the contact details as you receive emails.

Hope this helps,

Pat thank you

i had an awful feeling you might say that.... Initially I may wait till I am "online" and see how easy it is to save incoming email contacts - there's less chance of me mis spelling them that way !

but .. progress has been made....
!

izwozral
02-06-2015, 22:38
You can save email address to an existing contact without manually keying in the address.:D

Tezza33
02-06-2015, 22:56
You can save email address to an existing contact without manually keying in the address.:DHe is just trying to get your contact details, don't trust this man 30862

whitevanwoman
03-06-2015, 00:11
If the phone is android and you are using gmail and chrome and stay logged in, you should be able to import gmail contacts to phone and keep them sync'd. Can't remember exactly how but seem to remember its quite straight forward, look for either an Import option or look at Sync settings. Once imported they can then be saved to SIM and/or phone, and if you're lucky there may even be a "scan for duplicates" option which basically merges all details for same name into one entry.

Otherwise just ask Google...

Good luck.

izwozral
03-06-2015, 06:37
He is just trying to get your contact details, don't trust this man 30862

Too late Tez, I am just about to knock on Delicious's front door now. 30863

Debs
03-06-2015, 06:50
I have the first model of this phone and have had it for quite a few years. I have now got to the dizzy heights of understanding about 1% of its capabilities. I got it because of the large screen! :cool1:

dr dave
03-06-2015, 07:14
All email programs like yahoo google or locally installed ones outlook live mail etc have an import export function which allows you to export your email contact list in one format or another then armed with this file (which you could store on a memory card or e mail it to yourself) you can then import the file into your android phone. i would suspect google contacts is the one you would choose as it will synchronise to your mobile computer and other devices which use google when they are online. there are then a few tools to eliminate duplicates and merge the data. You will have to set up a gmail account if you don't have one. You can do all this on your computer then when you connect to the web with the phone everything will be ready for you and stored locally but sychronised at timed intervals when you are online.
Dave

delicagirl
03-06-2015, 07:33
All email programs like yahoo google or locally installed ones outlook live mail etc have an import export function which allows you to export your email contact list in one format or another then armed with this file (which you could store on a memory card or e mail it to yourself) you can then import the file into your android phone. i would suspect google contacts is the one you would choose as it will synchronise to your mobile computer and other devices which use google when they are online. there are then a few tools to eliminate duplicates and merge the data. You will have to set up a gmail account if you don't have one. You can do all this on your computer then when you connect to the web with the phone everything will be ready for you and stored locally but sychronised at timed intervals when you are online.
Dave

Thank you one and all.......I use outlook for my emails - if I have named a contact a different name on my phone to the one on their name in my email account on outlook on my computer .. then presumably the automatic transfer wont marry up the two will it ?

I have now plugged my Samsung into my computer to recharge the battery and a dialogue box has opened which asks me if I want to "sync media devices ? do I click on it - and if I do what does it mean ?

Sharon the Cat
03-06-2015, 10:34
I have now plugged my Samsung into my computer to recharge the battery and a dialogue box has opened which asks me if I want to "sync media devices ? do I click on it - and if I do what does it mean ?

It means that it will synchronise with your SatNav/world atlas/map book/van position etc. so that the boys in blue (& probably Izwozral) know where to find you whenever you are a naughty girl.

On the other hand it will may also synchronise all media content music/photos/contacts etc between the 2 devices.
Go on, live a little click it!

delicagirl
03-06-2015, 11:52
thanks I don't have a sim card in it yet !! step at a time !! i am slowly getting used to some features before going live .... I need to get a new sim for my old nokia first so I have a standy-by phone just in case

delicagirl
03-06-2015, 11:54
It means that it will synchronise with your SatNav/world atlas/map book/van position etc. so that the boys in blue (& probably Izwozral) know where to find you whenever you are a naughty girl.

On the other hand it will may also synchronise all media content music/photos/contacts etc between the 2 devices.
Go on, live a little click it!

moi ???? never :dance:

I also don't want my whereabouts to go on facebook..... I think one of my young fellow IT students has stopped that for me by diddling with the security settings

Asterix
03-06-2015, 13:11
I got my first smart phone about six months ago,what I hadn't realised was that the "smart" referred to the operator,did my bloody head in for the first couple of months. Also did friends heads as well,I kept accidentally ringing people at all hours,including my boss who I rang one morning at 2 am lol. You'll get the hang of it and when you do you'll wonder how you got thru life without one!

delicagirl
03-06-2015, 13:18
I know asterix... and as soon as I have a backup phone... it will be time to get smart....

I AM smart - its just modern technology is designed by the young for the young......

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS