PDA

View Full Version : wild camping near a caravan site

Michael32
04-07-2015, 18:21
We're happy to pay honesty fees a use several sites we also stay at camp sitesbut would love to do more wilding at hopeman recently we stayed at a lovely site but there was a van parked for several nights at the habour my fear would be upsetting the locals or am I being a bit soft. There were signs eith no overnight parking and parking for boats only. We are respectful where ever we stay. Are others fearful of upsetting locals or worst still retribution.?

christine
08-07-2015, 11:00
Most definitely we try not to upset the locals.Whenever we are wild camping, we attempt to chat to the locals and generally find we are welcome. We would also not wildcamp outside a caravan site unless it was closed.

pughed2
08-07-2015, 11:40
hello ..........if your motorhome is taxed in the uk that entitles you to drive or park in any safe legal place on public roads in the eu, and public roads mean anywhere between the hedges at the side. people who buy properties near a road have no jurisdiction over it, and no right to comment on who parks legally there. theres no monopoly on the beauty of the countryside. anyone causing any altercation, just call the police.....steve bristol

Asterix
08-07-2015, 12:53
hello ..........if your motorhome is taxed in the uk that entitles you to drive or park in any safe legal place on public roads in the eu, and public roads mean anywhere between the hedges at the side. people who buy properties near a road have no jurisdiction over it, and no right to comment on who parks legally there. theres no monopoly on the beauty of the countryside. anyone causing any altercation, just call the police.....steve bristol

There's often a huge chasm between what is lawfully right and morally right,I wouldn't park outside a house even tho it may be legal just as I'm sure you wouldn't want a huge motorhome parked outside yours. There's already too many laws controlling everything and a bit of mutual respect and courtesy would go a long way to stopping more restrictions being imposed.

CAL
08-07-2015, 13:21
I try to keep a low profile and out of anyone's way, it's just common sense and don't overstay your welcome. Have not had many problems with the places I've stopped at. You get the occasional "busy body" who is dying to question you but other than that no probs.

maingate
08-07-2015, 13:59
We're happy to pay honesty fees a use several sites we also stay at camp sitesbut would love to do more wilding at hopeman recently we stayed at a lovely site but there was a van parked for several nights at the habour my fear would be upsetting the locals or am I being a bit soft. There were signs eith no overnight parking and parking for boats only. We are respectful where ever we stay. Are others fearful of upsetting locals or worst still retribution.?

I have just had a look at Hopeman on Google Earth. A large coachbuilt motorhome could be intrusive on the Harbour but a more discreet one could be fine. Most of us advocate for stopping only one night, possibly a maximum of 2 nights, especially at a place like that.

In my opinion, what is a much bigger disgrace and an eyesore are the rows of static caravans, some of which are hard up against the garden fences of a row of houses. Now that should be banned. :(

Michael32
22-07-2015, 18:50
Thanks to all for your comments sorry Ive taken a while to reply im finding it difficult to get on with this tablet and access emails but ill keep on trying . Im in the process of getting a small trailer to take our scooter, I was hoping to get a motorbike rack after our dealer said it would fit on the van, they were wrong I need this fancy trailer!! Thanks again for you comments

MORGANTHEMOON
23-07-2015, 06:01
6 6

MORGANTHEMOON
23-07-2015, 06:04
Welcome to the forum.

Steve121
23-07-2015, 08:02

If your vehicle is taxed and insured, and has a valid MOT if required, all you are entitled to do is 'pass and repass other vehicles'.

You do not have any legal right to park on a public highway (road), even outside your own house. In law, you park 'by courtesy of the local police'. This applies even if, for example, you purchase a ticket at a parking meter or have a valid parking permit - you can still get a PCN or even have your vehicle towed away and impounded, if your vehicle causes an obstruction to anyone.

Steve121
23-07-2015, 10:04
people who buy properties near a road have no jurisdiction over it, and no right to comment on who parks legally there. theres no monopoly on the beauty of the countryside. anyone causing any altercation, just call the police.....steve bristol

Agreed property occupiers have no jurisdiction over the road outside, but if someone parks outside or near a property and it causes an obstruction, the property occupier can contact the police who will arrange for the offending vehicle to be towed away if the owner cannot be found. I know this for a fact, as I have had the police call out a breakdown truck to remove a car parked in my road. It wasn't obstructing me in any way, but it would have prevented a fire engine from passing.

pughed2
23-07-2015, 10:15
hello steve121................I can only repeat what I have experienced and some other motorhomers have posted elsewhere, that if you are legally parked on the public road, and experience objections from locals, and you call the police in the uk, the police in mine and other cases have basically told the homeowners not to bother the motorhomers again. I agree, that if I was told on specific occasion to move on by the police, I would go, and obviously would not park to cause obstruction, and my point is that homeowners have no jurisdiction at all over a public highway, nor probably a right of way as well. In some cases homeowners put stones etc in lanes and other public highways to stop vehicles driving on verges, and they have no right at all to do so, so if they are in your way, load them in your van and remove them.........steve bristol

Steve121
23-07-2015, 10:38
hello steve121................I can only repeat what I have experienced and some other motorhomers have posted elsewhere, that if you are legally parked on the public road, and experience objections from locals, and you call the police in the uk, the police in mine and other cases have basically told the homeowners not to bother the motorhomers again. I agree, that if I was told on specific occasion to move on by the police, I would go, and obviously would not park to cause obstruction, and my point is that homeowners have no jurisdiction at all over a public highway, nor probably a right of way as well. In some cases homeowners put stones etc in lanes and other public highways to stop vehicles driving on verges, and they have no right at all to do so, so if they are in your way, load them in your van and remove them.........steve bristol

The definition of a road which is a right of way is 'a road along which you may pass and repass other vehicles'. Note it does not say you may park, therefore there is no such thing as 'legally parked', but of course that doesn't make it illegal to park unless there are specific parking restrictions. There are many strange quirks in our laws.

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS