PDA

View Full Version : Scottish Meet 2009

Wee-z
10-11-2008, 18:34
Hi to all our Scottish Members and all Sassenachs of course :)

I was wondering if we could organise a early 2009 meet

North of the border of course.

The meet at Glentress went down well, and I am looking for information on possible Sites with reasonable access for our Southern brethren.
( promise we will leave the claymores behind ):D:D

I am sure there are some experts out there with bright suggestions as suitable dates and sites.

Obviously will depend on interest from the Wildys.

Lets hear from you

weez
Tony

lenny
10-11-2008, 20:02
Good shout Tony;), I,ll be up for that as long as not too far away for a weekend:), ie. The outer Hebrides:eek::p.
I.ll be watching this thread with interest:rolleyes::cool:

jimmnlizz
10-11-2008, 22:27
I, too, will be watching, Tony!! :D :rolleyes: :D Depends on dates and location, of course!! :cool: :confused: :cool: JIM!

messenger 2.5td
11-11-2008, 17:10
Sounds good to me Tony,bare in mind the winter north of order tends to linger into March come to think of it there wasn't much of a summer in northern England either:confused:i'm up for it anyway:):cool:Andy

corsley
11-11-2008, 17:11
Hi
It sounds a grear idea and Scotland is a wonderful place. We would be interested. Let do it!!!!!!!!!!!
Pete & Jane

corsley
11-11-2008, 17:12
Hi
It sounds a great idea and Scotland is a wonderful place. We would be interested. Let do it!!!!!!!!!!!
Pete & Jane

flashingblade
12-11-2008, 19:43
hi there. it could be a fair old trek but i'm north of the border 31 jan-8feb so if it happens between those dates, i will call in and say hellooo.
i'll just keep an eye on this thread.

bigboack
13-11-2008, 09:32
Ourselves and two other couples are looking at heading up the west coast sometime in March, Three motorhomes in convoy and would love to meet up some where. Let me know if its going to happen.:D

Wee-z
13-11-2008, 19:18
As you can see this is just being floated just now
However if dates do not suit, suggest a place that you might be at a weekend and Ive no doubt some of us may try to be about at that time.
it is good to put faces to names.

weez
Tony

sundown
13-11-2008, 19:49
hi,
I'm up for this one. I was gutted to miss the glentress meet,:(
but this time, I'm a "definite" :D
p.s. wots this, a 3 camper convoy heading up the west coast?:eek:
like wee z. says keep in touch with your where-abouts ;)

lenny
13-11-2008, 21:34
hi,
I'm up for this one. I was gutted to miss the glentress meet,:(
but this time, I'm a "definite" :D
p.s. wots this, a 3 camper convoy heading up the west coast?:eek:
like wee z. says keep in touch with your where-abouts ;)

Good to see you back Nick, I would gladly do Glentress again anytime;), however I,m up for any similar alternatives.

PS. whats that places in western Scotland where you can go panning for gold:eek::p

Wee-z
13-11-2008, 21:37
Lenny

Is that not the end of the Rainbow :D:D

Ive got a photo of that somewhere in the albums.

weez
Tony

sundown
13-11-2008, 23:10
PS. whats that places in western Scotland where you can go panning for gold:eek::p

Gold is not just a mineral lenny,
its a state of mind,
just head up the west coast to find it,
oops! don't tell them about brigadoon !!!!! :eek: :D :eek:

Wee-z
14-11-2008, 11:50
Wanlockhead was one of the places for that idea Lenny
Google "gold" and get some more places.

Now that area is a possibility,anyone Know a reasonable wilding site there?

weez
Tony

Yogihughes
14-11-2008, 12:40
Wanlockhead is at the head of the Mennock Pass.
You can park almost anywhere in the pass but there are idiots who tend to use it at weeek-ends and set fires and strew rubbish around.
Last time I was there, I took some photos of the carnage that others left behind them when they eventually left.

lenny
16-11-2008, 15:35
You can park almost anywhere in the pass but there are idiots who tend to use it at weeek-ends and set fires and strew rubbish around.
Last time I was there, I took some photos of the carnage that others left behind them when they eventually left.

Yes,I remember seeing the pics of the mess that the smackheads left behind:mad:, but I wouldnt think many of them would venture up there during the winter months;).

I may check it out in the near future:cool:

merlin wanderer
16-11-2008, 16:00
Don't be put off this area that sort of behavour is scarce
I drive through lots, its fine most of the time
there is not many places you can pan for gold
the space is second to none for a large get together

Wee-z
17-11-2008, 11:25
Flashing blade

what area are you planning to be in? in feb

what length is Chug.looks as if it will go anywhere.

possible quick visit might be possible at end of week mentioned

weez
Tony

lenny
17-11-2008, 20:10
I,ve been researching the area around Mennock pass on the net and found a cycle trail at Drumlanrig woods near Carronbridge, anyone know this place and whats the chances of finding a wild sleepyspot in this area?;)
I still like the look of the Mennock Pass spots but always prefer the cover of woodlands, also, my lad is itching to get back on his mountain bike and I dont think I can hold him back much longer:eek::D

Wee-z
21-11-2008, 17:10
Any other site suggestions for this, there does seem to be a bit of interest
in the idea, maybe Glentress again?

weez
Tony

lenny
21-11-2008, 20:51
How about this place for a meet?, never been there but theres always a first time:rolleyes:

http://www.wildcamping.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=2493

Anyone out there know if this place is feasable?:), I know this is Southern Scotland but any more suggestions from our Scottish friends would be welcome:rolleyes::cool:

bodgerndog
22-11-2008, 10:27
Hi
This is quite close to where we live and its all Forestry Commission land on the opposite side to the loch and private forestry and the fishery (now under new managemnt) on the other. Suspect FC wouldn't be happy with large numbers gathering here and there's not a huge amount of space - but individual units can often get away with a night or two. They do hold occasional music festivals right in the heart of Ae, down by the river, so it could be worth approaching them to see if would give permission for a meet? They also have large mountain biking gatherings where people camp...within walking distance of Ae pub and the new cafe.;)

Otherwise the Mennock Pass could be fine if you're in the offseason...as someone said, too chilly for the yobbos?

Wee-z
22-11-2008, 13:53
Where abouts is the new cafeand pub?

Have they got a mountain bike trail there?

I am sure Lenny's lad would be pleased with that idea.

The meet numbers do not tend to be too large so it might be OK

weez
Tony

bodgerndog
23-11-2008, 17:30
The pub's the one oin Ae Village - been revamped last year, cant recall the name, and the cafe is where the Forest District offices used to be - it's turned into a mega mountainbiking mecca, so yes, any lad into biking would love it.

Dog and I bowl round the easy trails sometimes in the early mornings (before the experts overtake us!:eek:) - so if not too many units, might be good place for a meet. I could sound out one of the rangers I know if u like?:)

Wee-z
23-11-2008, 17:40
bodgerndog

could you do that for me please.

PM wee-z and Lenny if you get any joy with it :)

weez
Tony

bodgerndog
23-11-2008, 18:23
no probs will call him tomorrow and let you know

lenny
24-11-2008, 19:31
Hi
This is quite close to where we live and its all Forestry Commission land on the opposite side to the loch and private forestry and the fishery (now under new managemnt) on the other. Suspect FC wouldn't be happy with large numbers gathering here and there's not a huge amount of space - but individual units can often get away with a night or two. They do hold occasional music festivals right in the heart of Ae, down by the river, so it could be worth approaching them to see if would give permission for a meet? They also have large mountain biking gatherings where people camp...within walking distance of Ae pub and the new cafe.;)

Otherwise the Mennock Pass could be fine if you're in the offseason...as someone said, too chilly for the yobbos?

Hiya Bodgerndog, thanks for the advice on your place but have you seen this ref, the mountain bike gatherings?
http://www.7stanes.gov.uk/forestry/ACHS-5RNEEV
Done Glentress:cool: Ae next??, then just 5 more to go:rolleyes::cool:

Wee-z
25-11-2008, 09:10
Lenny

That is a great link you sent,looks a great place for the bikers.

notice there is no comments on camping or the like.

Hope to hear from bodgerndog about that

weez
Tony

bodgerndog
25-11-2008, 11:27
Quick update: got very friendly reception from Forestry Commission guy and he's looking into it for us...finding a spot suitable for leaping straight onto the trails if poss. I'll keep y'all posted.:)

bodgerndog
30-11-2008, 19:31
Just to keep the ball in the air - it looks as if we might be able to get the use of a farmer's field near the biking tracks, caff, pub etc...I hope to get the contact details and make some more progress this week.

messenger 2.5td
30-11-2008, 20:19
Hiya Bodgerndog, thanks for the advice on your place but have you seen this ref, the mountain bike gatherings?
http://www.7stanes.gov.uk/forestry/ACHS-5RNEEV
Done Glentress:cool: Ae next??, then just 5 more to go:rolleyes::cool:

Piece in our local rag the altura trail opens from monday thats in whinlatter forest near Keswick may be worth checking out mountain biking,Andy.

lenny
30-12-2008, 22:05
Just back from the forest in Newcastleton (Scottish Borders) doing a recce on a possible venue for the impending Scottish meet and I,m sorry to report that this spot is not feasable, although we had a good time and the scenery was amazing, I think the site of several motorhomes arriving in such a wild spot all at once would cause problems and we dont want to be upsetting the local forestry commision:eek:, do we:rolleyes:
Nevertheless if anyone is thinking of heading up that way and want info of a couple of nice sleepyspots then PM me and I,ll advise you:cool:

bodgerndog
01-01-2009, 17:01
As soon as everyone gets back to work next week I'll try and find out more about the one at Ae. Otherwise, is Glentress still an option?

Wee-z
02-01-2009, 11:18
Hi folks

I am suggesting the 14th February for a date for the meet.
possibly at Ae.if not we could use glentress
Bodgerndog is checking out the situation at ae,see previous post.

Our van has to go in for repairs the next week but we could manage that
one.
Any suggestions welcome lets hear from you

weez
Tony

kimbowbill
02-01-2009, 12:06
Hi

for the last seven years i have been boating around notts, i decided to sell the boat and try camping, i'm a single female and find wild camping quite frightening, i would love to join other campers i would love to join the scotland one if its still on

messenger 2.5td
02-01-2009, 12:35
Hi Kimbowbill,you will be very welcome to join us at the next meet just keep your eye on the follow up threads.There are one or two single lady members on the forum,keep on posting:)Andy.

lenny
02-01-2009, 15:47
Hi folks

I am suggesting the 14th February for a date for the meet.
possibly at Ae.if not we could use glentress
Bodgerndog is checking out the situation at ae,see previous post.

Our van has to go in for repairs the next week but we could manage that
one.
Any suggestions welcome lets hear from you

weez
Tony

Well done Tony;), well thats the date confirmed ,now all we need is a definite location then throw out the invitation:).

Glentress is my favourite sleepyspot and I would favour this spot anytime,however we could always consider one of the many cheap and cheerfull CandCC sites in Scotland, for example this one in Moffat.

http://www.siteseeker.co.uk/aspx/details.aspx?id=6280&currentPage=0

Just a thought:rolleyes: but I,m easy either way

bodgerndog
02-01-2009, 16:31
Hi

for the last seven years i have been boating around notts, i decided to sell the boat and try camping, i'm a single female and find wild camping quite frightening, i would love to join other campers i would love to join the scotland one if its still on

Be great to have you along - probably a really good way to get into it. My other half isn't into camping much so for the past few years I've often gone alone - gradually building up confidence but always taking basic precautions (I think there was another thread on this somewhere but can't find it - anyone know?) I just watch where I park and keep the can of WD40 by the door!:eek:

Wee-z
02-01-2009, 20:29
Lenny
Site prices could be expensive, we have 5 adults plus kids and dog
the wildcamping means the fuel costs only plus food.
Budget a bit tight at moment.

See how many we get interested

4 names at moment for the date!

Right date for a romantic walk in the woods

weez
Tony

andytheplumber
02-01-2009, 20:48
wee-z,where are you based?we are in laurencekirk,and was hoping to go inpast backwater to see nowhereman but the n/eer festivities put a stop to that....I havent heard of sundown for a while either-??
we should manage the scottish meet too...

lenny
02-01-2009, 22:59
Lenny
Site prices could be expensive, we have 5 adults plus kids and dog
the wildcamping means the fuel costs only plus food.
Budget a bit tight at moment.

See how many we get interested

4 names at moment for the date!

Right date for a romantic walk in the woods

weez
Tony

Thats a good point Tony, so wilding It is;) already counting the days to the Valentines Scottish Meet:D:D

Wee-z
03-01-2009, 21:10
Thanks for the interest for the meet.

Would it be possible for all the wildys including the newbies definitely coming

on the 14th to PM weez. This will give me a definite idea of numbers to

check on site space and finalise the destination.

Thanks

weez
Tony

kimbowbill
04-01-2009, 07:27
hi

looking at this thread it could be more than a 3 camper convoy, i will be watchin too

*J*

Wee-z
04-01-2009, 11:20
"J"
check your visitor messages

weez
Tony

nowhereman
04-01-2009, 20:47
Hey guys, we just spent a couple of days at Glentress and brought the new year in there around a big fire. Nice and quiet apart from a nutter on a mountain bike at a couple of mins past midnight wanting to be the first person in 2009 to cycle down the red route:), he came over to check us out incase we had similar ideas, told him not much chance of us doing it after demolishing a bottle of cognac, and a belly full of barbecued prawns.
It was a good couple of nights and must admit as a wildcamping spot for quite a few motorhomes to meet up it will be hard to find a better place. Plus having a fire is no problem.
Ian n Erna

Polly
04-01-2009, 20:58
Hia
Lenny
This post as notched up 2017 viewers
well done shows people out there are interested

lenny
04-01-2009, 21:19
Hey guys, we just spent a couple of days at Glentress and brought the new year in there around a big fire. Nice and quiet apart from a nutter on a mountain bike at a couple of mins past midnight wanting to be the first person in 2009 to cycle down the red route:), he came over to check us out incase we had similar ideas, told him not much chance of us doing it after demolishing a bottle of cognac, and a belly full of barbecued prawns.
It was a good couple of nights and must admit as a wildcamping spot for quite a few motorhomes to meet up it will be hard to find a better place. Plus having a fire is no problem.
Ian n Erna

Hiya Ian and Erna

Wonder if that was the same nightrider we met on the eve of Xmas eve:confused: he was just about to set off:confused: on the red route when Jack attacked:eek:,biting at his ankles:p, I duly went over and appologised on his return,but he was fine. Totally agree with your comments about a mass gathering as I feel comfortable there and dont envisage any problems as long as we are all sensible and courteous. The camp fire is most definitely a necessity on these long and dark wintry nights with a bowl of Lenny,s home made broth and a bottle of Becks:eek:, or whatever:p

Hope you can make this one:cool:

Wee-z
07-01-2009, 11:44
Right folks
Decision made. Its Glentress again, Excellent venue close to Peebles on Innerleithen road. (Lenny could you post in coordinates and map details)

So thanks to all you folk who have confirmed attendance.
Looking forward to meeting all of you again.

Anyone else who wants to come along,pop in and see us even if its only
for a few hours you are very welcome.I am sure cuppas etc will be available
no doubt even some of the/ vinos beers might be too.

weez
Tony

bodgerndog
07-01-2009, 18:38
The campfire is a real clincher Tony!:D Looking forward to it!

messenger 2.5td
07-01-2009, 19:10
The campfire is a real clincher Tony!:D Looking forward to it!

Not like this campfire i hope :D:o:D http://www.blinkbox.com/Movies/322/Blazing-Saddles?Scene=3295

lenny
07-01-2009, 20:14
Heres the pinpoint details of the Scottish Meet location;)

http://www.multimap.com/maps/?qs=peebles&countryCode=GB#

Click on the link then left hand side,click on favourite routes and places, then Glentress:rolleyes:, you can now zoom in/out ,change map to "OS" or aerial view.
Scroll down the page and it shoes the post code and satnav co-ordinates of the pinpointed location:cool:

lenny
08-01-2009, 22:46
C,mon folks, not long to go before our first meet of the new year:eek::D:p

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;10722;7/st/20090213/e/Scottish+Meet/dt/5/k/b4b0/event.png

Watch this space:rolleyes::cool:

irenerobbie
09-01-2009, 15:22
hope to make this one lenny. it would be good to catch up with you.
K.

Wee-z
09-01-2009, 19:11
great folks, thanks for your support

There appears to be (9) vans coming.

Hope nowhereman comes to organise the camp fire:)

Lenny can help with the local beer:D

any volunteers to help with bangers and beans?

fingers crossed for the weather

Weez
Tony

TWS
09-01-2009, 20:01
We are up in the highlands from the 17th Feb house hunting, Im gonna try and shift things around if poss and try and make the Scottish meet, it would be great to put some faces to the names and meet you all, got a load of beer in my side locker that needs using up, it may go off if it not consumed very soon.

Tom

bodgerndog
09-01-2009, 21:51
great folks, thanks for your support

There appears to be (9) vans coming.

Hope nowhereman comes to organise the camp fire:)

Lenny can help with the local beer:D

any volunteers to help with bangers and beans?

fingers crossed for the weather

Weez
Tony

I'll bring some bangers along and some beanzzzz :) happy to help toast em too

messenger 2.5td
11-01-2009, 17:30
Looking forward to the meet just a had a thought(wondered what the burning smell was)will any of those attending be staying over either on the 13th or the 15th seems a long way to travel for one night,anyone else got thoughts on this,Andy.

Wee-z
11-01-2009, 17:39
We will arrive on Friday afternoon/early evening sometime staying until Sunday afternoon. With various family coming and going in that period. Lot depends on how far you need to travel.

lenny
11-01-2009, 18:00
We will arrive on Friday afternoon/early evening sometime staying until Sunday afternoon. With various family coming and going in that period. Lot depends on how far you need to travel.

Me too Tony;), We.ll be staying over Friday and Saturday nights:cool:

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;10722;7/st/20090213/e/SCOTTISH+MEET/dt/5/k/7b37/event.png
(http://www.TickerFactory.com/)

messenger 2.5td
11-01-2009, 18:01
I will more than likely be travelling up on the friday,want to be there before dark not sure about staying over sunday.Andy.

andytheplumber
18-01-2009, 15:56
we were wondering whats the area like-is there shops nearhand,I guess peebles is the closest(how far)We have pushbikes in the roofbox although they arent a 5mile run ones.
There was a wee bit in the sunday post about glentress offering a cafe shower facilities and lots of bike tracks-is the same or can anyone tell me whats the ameneties like..andy

messenger 2.5td
18-01-2009, 18:18
Hi Andy,it's only a short walk into the town half hour tops get some great views down the valley,once in town there are the usual spar shop,butchers,bakers but no candlestick makers:p,a couple of good pubs.Can't recall seeing a cafe but according to the website there is one not sure about shower facilities heres the link www.forestry.gov.uk/website/WildWoods.nsf/LUWebDocsByKey/ScotlandScottishBordersForestsoftheScottishBorders GlentressForest

lenny
18-01-2009, 19:56
we were wondering whats the area like-is there shops nearhand,I guess peebles is the closest(how far)We have pushbikes in the roofbox although they arent a 5mile run ones.
There was a wee bit in the sunday post about glentress offering a cafe shower facilities and lots of bike tracks-is the same or can anyone tell me whats the ameneties like..andy

Hiya Andy, yes its the same one;), you cant move for bikes:eek:, as for facilities,we stay at The Buzzards Nest carpark at the top of the forest and it has 2 portaloo type toilets. The showers and cafe are in the Osprey carpark at the entrance to the forest.
Its a canny walk into Peebles but all downhill and great scenery, I walked back up once :o and it took me about 2 hours:(:D,so the last trip we got a minibus taxi back with 8 of us, only 8;)
Heres another link to give you an idea;)
http://www.thehubintheforest.co.uk/index.html

Hope you can make it:)

andytheplumber
18-01-2009, 20:01
yip lenny we will be there,we are leaving here fri am and will stock up at tesco @fourth rd bridge-we are 30mins from aberdeen so I reckon a 3 hour max run..

messenger 2.5td
18-01-2009, 20:11
Great link Lenny,did you check the prices of those ex-hire bikes OMG cost almost as my van.Is the carpark at the entrance to the forest not the red squirrel carpark?Might be worth making it clear to those attending which carpark we are using nearer the time (ie the buzzards nest)for the benefit of those who haven't been to Glentress before.Andy:)

lenny
18-01-2009, 20:21
Great link Lenny,did you check the prices of those ex-hire bikes OMG cost almost as my van.Is the carpark at the entrance to the forest not the red squirrel carpark?Might be worth making it clear to those attending which carpark we are using nearer the time (ie the buzzards nest)for the benefit of those who haven't been to Glentress before.Andy:)

Yep Andy, they got it wrong on your link, The Red Squirrel car park is on your left,halfway up the forest track.

PS. I camped at Hamsterley forest recently with 3 of the bairns bikes chained:eek: to the bike rack overnight. Total value, nearly 6,000:eek:, Santa was good to my lad and his mates and I had a restless night:o:p

champstar
19-01-2009, 18:57
Hi guys this looks a great place..I would love to come and meet up but unfortunately I am working that weekend.
I was checking out the FC website and it mentions a 3 parking charge...do you pay or how do you avoid it?

messenger 2.5td
19-01-2009, 19:25
Hiya champstar,welcome to wildcamping.Payment is made via ticket machine at the carpark,personally i think 3 is small price to pay but having said that their were no forestry rangers checking when we were there last August,so it's down to you really.Andy;)

andytheplumber
19-01-2009, 19:40
so I am also asking,do we pay 3quid per day?or do we plead ignorant?

lenny
19-01-2009, 20:15
Hi guys this looks a great place..I would love to come and meet up but unfortunately I am working that weekend.
I was checking out the FC website and it mentions a 3 parking charge...do you pay or how do you avoid it?

We all just pay and be done with it;), It keeps the Forest Rangers sweet and if the proceeds go to the upkeep of this beautiful place then it,s money well spent;)

lenny
19-01-2009, 21:51
Bump

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;15;130/st/20090213/e/THE+SCOTTISH+MEET/dt/6/k/17f7/event.png
(http://www.TickerFactory.com/)

ajs
20-01-2009, 18:01

just spent 1/2 an hour looking for the dates of this 1 and failed...:confused:

can someone put up the precise details please... again.. just for me cus i'm a bit thick:eek:

i fank you :D

regards;)
ajs

lenny
20-01-2009, 18:22
Hiya ajs,the meet is on the 13/14/15th. February 2009,

http://www.wildcamping.co.uk/forums/showpost.php?p=47521&postcount=48

Search for Scottish Meet 2009 for all the crack:rolleyes::)

Any problems, keep asking.

messenger 2.5td
20-01-2009, 18:36
Hi AJS welcome to the the site the scottish meet has been arranged for the 14th of february although some of us are travelling up on the 13th to spend an extra night quite a journey for your location for a weekend unless you just happen to be passing;)heres a link of our last trip to Glentress www.wildcamping.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=4283&highlight=northern+meet+report

bodgerndog
22-01-2009, 22:04
Aw gee..I'm cursing cos haven't found a replacement van yet :( sigh...still camping in the MPV :eek:. If it wasn't too brass monkeys could risk it - but would that be breaking the trades descriptions ...are MPV-a-homes allowed..???

Wee-z
22-01-2009, 22:11
Come along anyway thats the benefit of wildys.
each to their own. All shapes and sizes.
The sun will be shining on the 14th Honest!:)

weez
Tony

lenny
22-01-2009, 22:33
Aw gee..I'm cursing cos haven't found a replacement van yet sigh...still camping in the MPV :eek:. If it wasn't too brass monkeys could risk it - but would that be breaking the trades descriptions ...are MPV-a-homes allowed..???

Sorry to read you hav,nt a van yet,thers still time, good luck, how about a throw down tent:eek::D, or maybe you could squat in this roundhouse nearby:eek::eek::p
http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd168/nyron/30082008220.jpg

No door on ,but we could light a fire at the entrance to keep the wild animals out:rolleyes:;):cool:

Belgian
22-01-2009, 22:54
Hope you all have a terrific meet. :)
Sorry, will not be there (no Scottish:eek:) : only the water is still too cold to swim over :D:D
Cheers

ajs
23-01-2009, 22:26
Hiya ajs,the meet is on the 13/14/15th. February 2009,

http://www.wildcamping.co.uk/forums/showpost.php?p=47521&postcount=48

Search for Scottish Meet 2009 for all the crack:rolleyes::)

Any problems, keep asking.

yep.. dates are free so far...but have a query or 2:D

that map posted :confused:... circle for the location is on a bridge in middle of pebbles...:eek: now that's what i call wild

i gather i'm looking for a municipal car park somewhere near...:confused:

await further clarification :cool:

OH... btw would the box van be catered fore :rolleyes:.. safe to leave it unattended with van attached, (preferable iffin its a car park) :confused:

regards;)
ajs

lenny
23-01-2009, 22:55
Try this one ajs;)
http://www.multimap.com/maps/?qs=nt+278410&countryCode=GB

Enter the forest at the Glentress hotel and follow the signs up to the Buzzards nest car park.
I,m sure your van and trailer will be fine hear, mind it,s a canny climb up to the carpark on a forest trail.

Wee-z
24-01-2009, 08:19
ajs

That last map from lenny is very accurate.
use the road by the hotel don't be tempted to use the
other road janets brae, it is gated. Thats the one to use for walking/cycling down to peebles. Transits and bike trailers get up there no problem.
Vans and trailers seem ok when left( obviously at your own risk)
We look forward to meeting you and the others

weez
Tony

ajs
24-01-2009, 10:49
ajs

That last map from lenny is very accurate.
use the road by the hotel don't be tempted to use the
other road janets brae, it is gated. Thats the one to use for walking/cycling down to peebles. Transits and bike trailers get up there no problem.
Vans and trailers seem ok when left( obviously at your own risk)
We look forward to meeting you and the others

weez
Tony

my eyes or my puter isa playin up:confused:... when i first looked at it the circle was on the B road bridge in town:eek:
.... looked at it again now and it's where it should be .. up in the woods on the hill side behind glentress :cool:

sorry folkes...think i'll give this 1 a miss... done the area to death.. stayed at jedburgh for a week in september

regards;)
ajs

Geoff.W
03-02-2009, 21:52
Try this one ajs;)
http://www.multimap.com/maps/?qs=nt+278410&countryCode=GB

Enter the forest at the Glentress hotel and follow the signs up to the Buzzards nest car park.
I,m sure your van and trailer will be fine hear, mind it,s a canny climb up to the carpark on a forest trail.

Couldn't help but notice that this thread had gone quiet, are you all still going.

Second point, storing this away in the memory banks as a possible stop when we next venture north, I noticed Lenny's comment above. How difficult is the access bearing in mind we do have the uncanny habit of leaving things too late and looking for stops in the dark.

lenny
03-02-2009, 22:14
Couldn't help but notice that this thread had gone quiet, are you all still going.

Second point, storing this away in the memory banks as a possible stop when we next venture north, I noticed Lenny's comment above. How difficult is the access bearing in mind we do have the uncanny habit of leaving things too late and looking for stops in the dark.

Yes Geoff ,your van will fly up there;), It,s just the first time I drove up there ,I was a little nervous,wondering what obstacle awaits me.

The meet is still on,without a doubt and it looks like a canny turn out;):cool:

Wee-z
06-02-2009, 17:48
Hi folks
of course the meet is still on.access is really easy.
We have just come back from Aviemore today
Lovely 12" of snow.Rather chilly.
I hope it has all cleared up by the 14th.
once we were south of Pitlochry roads were fine,
a few idiots driving in whiteouts with no lights :(
I just tucked in behind a tanker unit and cruised along at steady 40mph
we are looking forward to the weekend and meeting up with friends and new faces.

weez
Tony

messenger 2.5td
06-02-2009, 20:52
Just had a peek at the weather forecast for next weekend looks like it will be an improving picture for that part of the world,a tropical 7c with no overnight frosts can't wait:):):)Andy

Wee-z
07-02-2009, 09:12
Andy
looking forward to the meet,
I like the weather forecast.
(by the way has anyone told you not to believe
what the met office says) :)

weez
Tony

messenger 2.5td
07-02-2009, 18:59
Hi Tony,i always use this website for weather forecast www.weatheronline.co.uk has been very accurate when i have used it in the past gives forecasts 8 days ahead.Probably throw it down now i have said that,any photos from your trip to Aviemore/Pitlochry?

Wee-z
08-02-2009, 13:06
Hi andy
just checked the met site
evening -4 daytime +1

they must have heard me :D:D

bring the thermals

weez
Tony

lenny
08-02-2009, 19:53
Just had a call from Tony (Weez), who recce,d the Glentress site today only to find that the road up to the site is closed:eek: for the foreseeable future due to construction traffic:confused::(.
Dont Panic :o:rolleyes:, we have a plan "B" , not too far away, see red circle marked on map below:

http://www.multimap.com/maps/print/?qs=peebles&countryCode=GB&lat=55.64911&lon=-3.17436&zoomFactor=13&loc_lat=55.67272&loc_lon=-3.25386&dataPreferences=928&mapType=4

The Meet is on ,just a different location;), from what I can see,the site is a picnic area on a moor road with no facilities so your own sanitation will be necessary.

Tony will put you all in the picture following his recce , as soon as he can get online.

Still looks good to me:D

andytheplumber
08-02-2009, 19:57
ok lenny,I have PM-d tony, do you know if we can walk into town from the picnic area?

lenny
08-02-2009, 20:24
ok lenny,I have PM-d tony, do you know if we can walk into town from the picnic area?

Hi Andy, I reckon It,s about 2 and a half miles as the "Crow Flies":rolleyes: but dont know if we can go that way:eek:, But I,d be up for it if you want to join me;)

lenny
08-02-2009, 21:24
Heres a few images of the alternative area we will be staying for our Scottish Meet:

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/13073

When you get this link up,click on (more nearby)

Looks pretty Wild:eek:, and that suits me fine;)

Good walking country;):cool:

Wee-z
08-02-2009, 22:50
Andy
young fit specimen like you could jog into peebles no problem.

There is actually a nice walk along the side of the river missing the main road and coming out at town centre.It is about 3 miles at a guess
For the less fit of us vans could be taken into town at riverside car park
and have a coffee or something and return to site later on
I suggest we meet up at the meldon site and then organise from there.
remember it is a casual meet and everyone is welcome to come and go as they please.
Approx eight vans should be there.
Lenny' s lads will probably disappear up the cycle tracks
sorry this place does not allow fires.
but I don't think that will matter too much
look forward to meeting you all

weez
Tony

messenger 2.5td
09-02-2009, 00:49
Just had a call from Tony (Weez), who recce,d the Glentress site today only to find that the road up to the site is closed:eek: for the foreseeable future due to construction traffic:confused::(.
Dont Panic :o:rolleyes:, we have a plan "B" , not too far away, see red circle marked on map below:

http://www.multimap.com/maps/print/?qs=peebles&countryCode=GB&lat=55.64911&lon=-3.17436&zoomFactor=13&loc_lat=55.67272&loc_lon=-3.25386&dataPreferences=928&mapType=4

The Meet is on ,just a different location;), from what I can see,the site is a picnic area on a moor road with no facilities so your own sanitation will be necessary.

Tony will put you all in the picture following his recce , as soon as he can get online.

Still looks good to me:D

According to the hub in the forest website the work was supposed to be finished by christmas,obviously overan but it also says work is only done weekdays.Is it feasable to go to glentress for the saturday night?Will give them a call Monday,ANDY.:)

nowhereman
09-02-2009, 18:30
Heres a few images of the alternative area we will be staying for our Scottish Meet:

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/13073

When you get this link up,click on (more nearby)

Looks pretty Wild:eek:, and that suits me fine;)

Good walking country;):cool:

Hey guys the meldon site is a good one, plenty space, a fire is no problem but you will have to find wood from elsewhere as tis hard to find around the camping areas. These areas are nice grassy pull ins that stretch quite a way along the single lane road. There is also a toilet block with sinks. Have used this site many times, some good walks and old hill forts etc. We wont be around to make the meet, hope you all have a good one, Ian.

Wee-z
09-02-2009, 18:37
Thanks Ian
checked out on Sunday
Toilets were locked up at 5pm
not sure if still closed for winter
not a major problem as you say good parking and walking
I have phone number for glentress ranger tomorrow
to check if the road might be open
I will let you know answer

weez
Tony

lenny
09-02-2009, 21:24
Hey guys the meldon site is a good one, plenty space, a fire is no problem but you will have to find wood from elsewhere as tis hard to find around the camping areas. These areas are nice grassy pull ins that stretch quite a way along the single lane road. There is also a toilet block with sinks. Have used this site many times, some good walks and old hill forts etc. We wont be around to make the meet, hope you all have a good one, Ian.

Thanks Ian , your endorsement of the site will do for me;), and well done Tony on a good find, looking forward to the weekend:cool:

BTW. Ian, I hav,nt forgot the favour you asked me,I,ll sort it before the meet:rolleyes::)

irenerobbie
10-02-2009, 08:16
lookin' forward to meet. just found out about change of location. why dont we all bring some wood with us for a fire , then you can send up smoke signals for the vans that cannt find the site.
see soon K.

Wee-z
10-02-2009, 10:55
Hi folks
Just phoned glentress and been advised that road will not be open for weekend as it is currently a sheet of glass,just had another 2" snow.
So the meldons site is the definite destination.Main roads seem OK subject to the vagaries of the weather
We are planning to be there Friday afternoon and stay over Friday/Sat nights
leaving on Sunday lunch time.
Irenerobbies suggestion for wood could be a good one.Make sure you carry enough water as no taps available on site.Might be a good weekend for iced lollies:D:D

weez
Tony

nowhereman
10-02-2009, 13:42
First time at the Meldons we only had a small fire because of lack of wood, so as the night went on the fire was just glowing embers and was not bright enough to light up the surrounding area. It was a very dark night and I was sitting on my chair next to the fire. I reached down to the ground fumbling about to find my makeshift poker, my hand finally found something that imediately jumped from my grasp. As I was trying to stifle my girlie scream, the escapee from my hand landed in the glowing embers. It was a frog, just as I thought my luck was in;) the frog realised where it had landed and shot upwards at a hell of a rate and dissapeared. I searched all around with the torch looking for the frog, eventually found it about ten metres away cooling of in a puddle. If you guys are lucky and your fire is big enough maybe one of the local sheep will be as obliging.:) And no Jim, before you ask I did not eat the frog;):)

jimmnlizz
10-02-2009, 22:34
As if!!!! :eek: I have something different in mind! :D :D I have been trying to sort your last posts out, Ian, and can't make my mind up if your gang will be there......:confused:......or not? We are leaving Thursday, after I have done the Quiz for my Oldies down here! :rolleyes: JIM!!

lenny
10-02-2009, 23:29
As if!!!! :eek: I have something different in mind! ! :rolleyes: JIM!!

I hope you dont mean we are going hunting for Haggis:eek::p, The three legged variety:confused::o:D

Wee-z
11-02-2009, 09:25
Lenny
The Scottish Haggis/Haggi are well known for having Four legs!
Depending on the breed they either have two short left legs or two short right legs. This is of course to enable them to run round mountains in a clockwise or anti clockwise direction with ease.Normally only captured when there is no "R"
in the month. So there may be a scarcity of these delightful beasts at the moment.

weez
Tony

jimmnlizz
11-02-2009, 12:33
Thank heavens for that then Tony, I thought these where Haggi that Liz has been keeping for years!! :confused: Now I know that they are Dachshunds as they have two short legs on each side!! :eek: Thanks for sorting that out for me! :D :D :DJIM!! SLAP!!!!!!................OUCH!!!!!!!!

Geoff.W
11-02-2009, 17:20
Hi all, can an Englander from down here in darkest Worcestershire gatecrash your party. We have got the week off next week, so the plan is, set off Friday evening and hopefully reach you some time on Sat, well it's only 300 miles. (I assume the Meldons is now confirmed).

After the weekend we hope to spend a few days around that area, maybe visit Edinburgh, and then work our way down the north east to Doncaster for the following weekend. Any suggestions as to places to visit or good overnight stops gratefully received.

lenny
11-02-2009, 17:56
Thats great news Geoff,look forward to meeting you at both meets:rolleyes::),

I,ll chat with you at the weekend about places to stay for your return journey:):cool:

messenger 2.5td
11-02-2009, 18:19
If anyone is interested just checked out the weekend weather doesn't look to bad www.weatheronline.co.uk/Scotland/Peebles.htm

Wee-z
12-02-2009, 09:05
Geoff
Absolutely delighted to welcome you and yours to the meet at the Meldons
You will get all sorts of hints on places to go etc.for your trip.
The weather does look as if it is warming up a bit for the weekend as per Messenger's post.
There is a great bunch of lads coming (all shapes and sizes) and not forgetting the Ladies,They try to keep us under control. :D:D
I will duck for cover now!
look forward to meeting you

weez
Tony

Wee-z
12-02-2009, 09:34
Jim
how about bringing a couple of Quizzes for us oldies

weez
Tony

Wee-z
12-02-2009, 18:28
Hi folks,
Just to confirm that the meet is still on.
At least 4 of us should be there Friday afternoon/evening.
A bit of snow at moment but temperature is going up.
See you all friday/saturday
weez
Tony

irenerobbie
13-02-2009, 09:02
first one there gets the fire started. see you all late

K.

lenny
15-02-2009, 18:17
Well ,just back from another great meet in Scotland , brilliant site for wilding,(Thanks Tony for sharing), great company again, lots of snow underfoot at first but thawed over the weekend.
Took a risk travelling up following the cold snap but arrived safe and sound without incident.
6 vans attended which was great considering the weather and time of year:rolleyes::)
Heres a pic of my lads playing in the snow on a brief stop en route (Carter Bar) in the Scottish borders.

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd168/nyron/13022009125.jpg

More pics to follow when I work out how to upload them in bulk:confused::cool::)

lenny
15-02-2009, 19:08
Hers a pic of mine ,Irenerobbies and Messengers vans on arrival

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd168/nyron/13022009128.jpg

Geoff arrived later with his family,that him behind me

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd168/nyron/14022009135.jpg

Anither shot of Andys van

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd168/nyron/13022009132.jpg

Kate and Kenny,s van (Irenerobbie)

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd168/nyron/13022009131.jpg

The snow is thawing

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd168/nyron/15022009147.jpg

Out for a little walk

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd168/nyron/15022009146.jpg

A night shot

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd168/nyron/13022009133.jpg

Jack and Rex at play

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd168/nyron/15022009137_edited.jpg

A birthday cake for Wilma on her 21st.

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd168/nyron/15022009141.jpg

Uncle Lenny with baby Daniel

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd168/nyron/15022009143.jpg

BTW Tony and family, and Jimmnlizz were just up the road in the posh carpark, sorry I forgot to get some pics..

TWS
15-02-2009, 19:32
Great pics Lenny, looks like the snow soon cleared up, pleased you all had a good meet.

Regards Tom

messenger 2.5td
15-02-2009, 19:58
Hi Lenny,had a great weekend at Meldons,thanks to Tony for reccying an alternative location.Definitely one for future reference,great to meet some of our other members.Back to the daily grind now,btw nice pics aswell Lenny:)Andy.

Wee-z
15-02-2009, 20:14
Thanks for no photos of Jim and tonys lot lenny
we were travelling incognito anyway:D:D:D

Thanks for coming to the meet folks, Scottish weather came up trumps again.
The sight of Uncle Lenny climbing the hill, like the pied piper of hamelin with all the kids following him was worth seeing.
it was only a 4.5 mile walk to peebles along the river .excellent.
The incognito mob sneaked into Peebles for a fly coffee and cake,by the time we got back Everyone had gone to bed.
enjoyable time had by all.

weez
Tony

lenny
15-02-2009, 20:37
Saturday morning and a nice Scottish bloke stuck his heed in me van and asked if we could help him:eek:, his tranny was stuck in the mud just down the track from us after his night of tenting:eek::confused:. so we rounded up the big lads and went down to assist:rolleyes:, with all our brute force ,we managed to push him out of trouble:cool:. He was so appreciative that he donated his bag of logs and a box of firelighters to us:).

If you cant do someone a good turn........:rolleyes::cool:

irenerobbie
16-02-2009, 09:31
great meet at the Meldons. perfect location and a fire definately sets the scene but what i enjoy the most is the sense of community. these days when may of us dont even know our neighbours, its great to have a group of people who come together and support each other.
it was also good to see the children having the freedom to enjoy the best "fun park" there is, the great out doors.
p.s book that site for a summer meet ,i fancy a water fight in one of the burns.

nowhereman
16-02-2009, 10:47
Hey guys, glad you all had a good one.

tresrikay
16-02-2009, 19:03
Looks Superb, sorry I couldn't make it

merlin wanderer
16-02-2009, 20:39
Huffed at missing this meet only a couple of hours away
but sadly the old van needs some surgery for its MOT
:(

Yogihughes
16-02-2009, 21:11
I too, am sorry that I didn't make it.
I might have smitten you all with a bug that I had, and you wouldn't have wanted that, I assure you.

bodgerndog
16-02-2009, 21:28
Yeah - wish I could have been there too - looks great. Thanks for the great pics, really glad you all had such a good weekend.

Polly
16-02-2009, 21:36
Hia
All that snow well done you lot what a great setting
A toast to you all

champstar
18-02-2009, 18:57
Hi All the pics look great and it looks like it was a great time. We are so sorry that we missed out on this trip due to work...aaaghh!!!
Will defo try and get to the next scottish meet.
We are going up the trossachs the next couple of weekends..stop and say hello if you see a couple or three vans parked up.

cheers

Wee-z
18-02-2009, 19:10
Hi
Is this the infamous 3 van convoy supposed to be sneaking up the scottish borders?:D:D

weez
Tony

champstar
19-02-2009, 19:39
Tony no this is a small group of friends from all over scotland who like to meet up.

We usually do DA or CS camping but now the weather is getting better ????? we are trying out some wild camping in the trossachs area.

grath
20-02-2009, 16:16
Just seen these pics, dont know how I missed them before:o
Great pics guys and gals, pleased you all had a great time:cool::cool:

Geoff.W
24-02-2009, 22:23
Just to say what a great meet in a beautifull location. It was a great pleasure and privelage to meet you all and hope to see you all again sometime.

We ended up spending another night there before moving on to North Berwick for a couple of nights. For anyone else who visits this area I can also recomend the chippy in Peebles, (about half way along the high street) best we've had in years.

geomcloughlin
04-03-2009, 14:44
Hi to all our Scottish Members and all Sassenachs of course :)a i am a sassenach from doncaster love scotland not wild camped before will be watching this with interest

I was wondering if we could organise a early 2009 meet

North of the border of course.

The meet at Glentress went down well, and I am looking for information on possible Sites with reasonable access for our Southern brethren.
( promise we will leave the claymores behind ):D:D

I am sure there are some experts out there with bright suggestions as suitable dates and sites.

Obviously will depend on interest from the Wildys.

Lets hear from you

weez
Tonysassenach from doncaster loves scotland never wild camped so be watching this by the way bring your claymore i will bring my gun

Wee-z
04-03-2009, 16:00
Hi geo
Welcome to the wildys :)
I am glad you found the 2009 meet post
If you go through the post you will see that it has already taken place.
but I am sure we will have other ones.
As you find your way through the site there will be other places suggested and you are welcome to come along and meet some of the mob:D
they are a great crowd,lots of different opinions,lots of advice.

so keep on posting and don't be shy.

(click on your notifications on top right of forum)

weez
Tony

Guernsey Donkey
09-04-2009, 21:44
Lenny
The Scottish Haggis/Haggi are well known for having Four legs!
Depending on the breed they either have two short left legs or two short right legs. This is of course to enable them to run round mountains in a clockwise or anti clockwise direction with ease.Normally only captured when there is no "R"
in the month. So there may be a scarcity of these delightful beasts at the moment.

weez
Tony

The Haggis shoot is well worth visiting it takes place each year on 28th Feb at MacHinery Hill in the west highlands it starts at midnight and goes on till dawn. Own gun would be a help.

The Cumbrian
04-05-2009, 22:04
Notice someone said the Scottish winter lingers till March.
The Cumbrian winter's still lingering in May, it's cold, raining and windy.

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS