PDA

View Full Version : These young people are awesome!

Siimplyloco
27-07-2015, 13:55
This short clip will gladden your heart and make you glad that you didn't risk your life like this when you were younger!
John

https://www.youtube.com/embed/VWf8CXwPoqI

n brown
27-07-2015, 16:40
excellent stuff !
but we did risk our lives when we were that age ! pushbikes, motorbikes, climbing stuff unroped, making boats when we couldn't swim etc. some joined the forces and came back from dangerous places. we played with explosives and fire.we are the survivors and hopefully the proof of Darwin's theory !

Steve121
27-07-2015, 17:20
But in 'our' day we didn't have GoPro!

rugbyken
27-07-2015, 18:13
Some of the daftest things we did were while we were showing off to our mates or a girl hate to think how daft I would have been with an audience of millions ie have never been able to swim still canoed kayaked for years always getting out by rolling over never gave drowning a thought we used to play up the hills which were quarried for the famous mountsorrel pink granite blasting always took place at 12 noon we used to wait till the patrol had gone and hang over the quarry rim as near to the explosion as possible winner was the one with most dust on them !!!! When they built the local war memorial they laid rail tracks to carry the stone from the quarry to the top of a dominant hill, slope still there but tracks removed buggy's and sledges could run out on to the road you can roll for over a mile but the transition from track to road is a blind bend with a six foot high wall, one year of particular insanity we used to come down backwards on pushbike's,

Deleted user 21925
27-07-2015, 18:30
.............................we used to play up the hills which were quarried for the famous mountsorrel pink granite blasting always took place at 12 noon we used to wait till the patrol had gone and hang over the quarry rim as near to the explosion as possible winner was the one with most dust on them !!!! When they built the local war memorial they laid rail tracks to carry the stone from the quarry to the top of a dominant hill, slope still there but tracks removed buggy's and sledges could run out on to the road you can roll for over a mile but the transition from track to road is a blind bend with a six foot high wall, one year of particular insanity we used to come down backwards on pushbike's,

I user to play in them thar same hills Ken.

n brown
27-07-2015, 18:53
I user to play in them thar same hills Ken. was it the dust from the explosions that first gave you a thirst Rob ?

Deleted user 21925
27-07-2015, 18:56
was it the dust from the explosions that first gave you a thirst Rob ?

It sent my hair platinum blond overnight Nigel.

(OK white then!)

yorkslass
27-07-2015, 22:14
On a more serious note, on our local news tonight, a little boy has been found dead on a building site , trapped in a pipe. He must have thought he was going on an adventure,BUT, he was 7years old and some way from home where the hell were his parents? They say it was a tragic accident but imo it's neg!ect.

n brown
27-07-2015, 22:42
let's not be looking to blame, poor little bugger made a wrong move and died as a result. his parents may or may not have been a bit complacent, but they've lost their little lad and my heart goes out to them

yorkslass
27-07-2015, 23:06
let's not be looking to blame, poor little bugger made a wrong move and died as a result. his parents may or may not have been a bit complacent, but they've lost their little lad and my heart goes out to them

So does mine, but that little lad is dead.

jeanette
27-07-2015, 23:45
I heard he was with friends and was on his way home again it is just what you hear on the news it was about 8 o'clock when he was going home whether that was right or not I don't know what I do know is the little boy has lost his life and I would not like to be in his parents position as they will always ask themselves that question "what if"??

NeilyG
28-07-2015, 08:31
On a more serious note, on our local news tonight, a little boy has been found dead on a building site , trapped in a pipe. He must have thought he was going on an adventure,BUT, he was 7years old and some way from home where the hell were his parents? They say it was a tragic accident but imo it's neg!ect.

'...where the hell were his parents'? What are they supposed to do - keep him indoors on PlayStation all day?

Depends on how far from home he was and how late, I suppose.

hextal
28-07-2015, 08:58

Oh come on!! Unless you have info not yet released by the press 'neglect' seems quite an interpretive leap.

The site was 4 streets over from his house, so what distance would you say was acceptable, or should he have never gone out without an adult? I note that newspapers report that many kids have been seen playing in that specific construction site, perhaps all of the parents in the area should be investigated?

My word, when I think about the things I and all my friends did at that age, I suspect you'd have had us all removed from our parents.

roamingman
28-07-2015, 09:31
Way back in the mists of time, when I was a lad in London, we used to walk miles in a day, out at 9am back at 6pm,
and all the triks we did rooling down hills in a 45 gallon drum climbing up the side of 5 story flats, the was no elf & safety back then.

hextal
28-07-2015, 11:41
I think the saying is along the lines of....

You are born with a full bag of luck and an empty bag of experience. The goal in life is to fill the latter before the former is empty.

The problem nowadays is that death is widely regarded as preventable in most situations. So we see more and more cases of legislating for common sense. All that happens is that the risk invariably gets shifted and as a species we are less able to take care of ourselves. Enter the ambulance chasers.... "So, you walked through 10mins of torrential rain then slipped over in the office reception area because nobody had put a 'floor wet' sign out, that's clearly someone else's fault".

Siimplyloco
28-07-2015, 12:00
SNIP
"So, you walked through 10mins of torrential rain then slipped over in the office reception area because nobody had put a 'floor wet' sign out, that's clearly someone else's fault".

I just cannot bear to watch adverts for Dettol something or other where mummy wipes the table under little Johnnie's plate before he can put his hand on it!
No wonder we are generating a bunch of wimps!
John

bullfist
28-07-2015, 15:24
This short clip will gladden your heart and make you glad that you didn't risk your life like this when you were younger!
John

https://www.youtube.com/embed/VWf8CXwPoqI

So perhaps some of us middle-agers (none of us are old-age) should get together, film some stunts and put together a video about how fantastic us older people are. First problem: work out how to use the camera on a smart phone....

hextal
28-07-2015, 17:41
Yeah. I don't know why, but that is one of those things that, for some reason, annoys me far more than it really should.

rugbyken
28-07-2015, 19:35
I've my motorhome for sale on e bay David did a quick check that I hadn't done the same luckily seem all right,

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS