PDA

View Full Version : Merkadale (Skye) - Use not agreeable to locals.

Bernie the Bolt
09-08-2015, 19:02
Hi,

First post to this site so I may get this wrong....

Joined the site while on tour in Scotland. We used this confirmed location while on the Isle of Skye - it is the car-park for the local cemetery near the Talisker distillery. We parked up at the bottom end of the car-park well away from the entrance to the actual cemetery.

A fisherman drove past us, through the car-park, to access his boat and stuff on the shore, returning some time later. No problems there...

Another lady and her mother parked up at the top of the car-park, clearly off to tend a grave.

On exiting, the lady came over to us and clearly expressed her and her mother's disapproval of us using the location. Not wishing to cause upset, we immediately packed and moved off to LR Drynoch (A863) (Skye) a short distance away, higher up and overlooking the same area but from a distance on the other side of the water.

I think that this location should be removed from the database to ensure that others do not cause similar upset to the host community and to spare wild-campers being similarly embarrassed through being seen to be showing unintended disrespect. We though the location "confirmed" and it would be acceptable to stay at this location, clearly it was not!

Brads
09-08-2015, 20:42
I wouldn`t worry about upsetting Skye locals. The very fact you are there on the island pisses them off no end.

A more miserable populace I have yet to find.

dippingatoe
09-08-2015, 21:26
I wouldn`t worry about upsetting Skye locals. The very fact you are there on the island pisses them off no end.

Have you been to Mull? :)

MikeH
09-08-2015, 23:26
Just a little further along the road, toward Tallisker distillery is this place that we stopped at a few years ago. Great views of the loch and countryside and out of peoples way.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/57%C2%B017'45.0%22N+6%C2%B020'22.5%22W/@57.295866,-6.339316,640m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0x0

I have to stress it was a few years ago so things may have changed but its certainly better than staying by the cemetery which I remember did have a sign saying no overnight camping.

Also, the car park at the distillery had ample space for daytime parking.

Wooie1958
10-08-2015, 04:55

Bullocks !

I`ve never had a problem on Skye :dance:

gid7
10-08-2015, 06:41

I am not surprised when you have an attitude like yours!

Wildcamping at grave yards - SHOW SOME RESPECT!

Saor Alba

Teutone
10-08-2015, 06:50

Don't you think this is a little bit too harsh?

Bernie the Bolt
10-08-2015, 07:06
Just a little further along the road, toward Tallisker distillery is this place that we stopped at a few years ago. Great views of the loch and countryside and out of peoples way.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/57%C2%B017'45.0%22N+6%C2%B020'22.5%22W/@57.295866,-6.339316,640m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0x0

I have to stress it was a few years ago so things may have changed but its certainly better than staying by the cemetery which I remember did have a sign saying no overnight camping.

Also, the car park at the distillery had ample space for daytime parking.

We saw that one, rather crowded at the time and charged - wasn't what we were looking for.

No signs at the cemetery, if we'd seen one, we would have moved on (as we did).

Bernie the Bolt
10-08-2015, 07:10

Was not our experience with the the locals.

We too found the island "crowded" and "touristy" with chains of coaches roaring round the single track roads. Everywhere on Skye felt packed out especially when compared to the rest of the North, West and other islands.

Bernie the Bolt
10-08-2015, 07:12
Have you been to Mull? :)

We enjoyed Mull far more, by comparison, Skye felt crowded and "touristy".

Bernie the Bolt
10-08-2015, 07:21

It was a large car-park beside a cemetery. If you visit the Chapelfields shopping centre at Norwich, you will find that the pedestrian route into the centre is via paths through and alongside grave-yards. Thousands of people pass by the gravestones that line the routes every day!

In most urban areas, life goes on normally alongside cemeteries and graveyards. In more rural areas, like this one, there are clearer and extended distinctions which cause discomfort to the locals and to us on holiday.

Accordingly, we shall avoid ending up in a similar predicament in the future. As per my opening post, I recommend this location is removed from the database and avoided by the motor-home community. Take the easy path and avoid upset.

gid7
10-08-2015, 07:39
I have seen similar arguments about Commando Memorial, Spean Bridge. I would suggest that where people go and mourn their deceased loved ones is a very sensitive places and should be avoided.

Skye this year is heaving.

Saor Alba

essexcamper
10-08-2015, 07:44
It was a large car-park beside a cemetery. If you visit the Chapelfields shopping centre at Norwich, you will find that the pedestrian route into the centre is via paths through and alongside grave-yards. Thousands of people pass by the gravestones that line the routes every day!

In most urban areas, life goes on normally alongside cemeteries and graveyards. In more rural areas, like this one, there are clearer and extended distinctions which cause discomfort to the locals and to us on holiday.

Accordingly, we shall avoid ending up in a similar predicament in the future. As per my opening post, I recommend this location is removed from the database and avoided by the motor-home community. Take the easy path and avoid upset.

Well at least yr not vandals and you won't disturb any of the residents. Most wild campers tend to stay quietly not leave any mess and you wouldn't know they have been there. I do agree though we all want a peaceful time so I personally would avoid staying there.

maingate
10-08-2015, 08:52

Saor Alba

That means a number of POI's will have to be removed from the system. :(

I think they should only be removed if any of the Cemetery residents make a complaint to the wildcamper. :p

I agree about Spean Bridge though. We went there to pay our respects to a relative, with the intention of overnighting. We moved on though as it did not feel right.

caledonia
10-08-2015, 09:04
Skye is crap for wilding. Tinkers in lay-bys, coach loads of tourists. The only good thing about Skye is the ferry to the Outer Hebs. Fairy Glen? Manky car parks and an overpriced camp site. Best avoid Skye.

Obanboy666
10-08-2015, 10:23
I have seen similar arguments about Commando Memorial, Spean Bridge. I would suggest that where people go and mourn their deceased loved ones is a very sensitive places and should be avoided.

Skye this year is heaving.

Saor Alba

I may be mistaken but I'm sure I saw no overnighting signs at the Commando memorial when I last called in.
Not sure that they were official signs but I don't stay anywhere there is a sign regardless of its authenticity, it's obvious you are not welcome.

I only go to Skye to visit friends, as a few others have said I think it's over rated. I much prefer Mull or higher up on the west coast.

pughed2
10-08-2015, 10:41
bernie theres been numerous similar posts, which are nonsense.............you dont upset your holiday just because a local got out the wrong side of bed......tell them where to get off and continue to enjoy.......I do, and if a local causes too much trouble if your legally parked, call the police..........steve bristol

DavidB963
10-08-2015, 10:53
Agree about Mull. Went into a pub for lunch. "Oh we do not serve food at lunchtime "

Dave

sagart
10-08-2015, 10:56
Skye is crap for wilding. Tinkers in lay-bys, coach loads of tourists. The only good thing about Skye is the ferry to the Outer Hebs. Fairy Glen? Manky car parks and an overpriced camp site. Best avoid Skye.
What a sad little person!
Frankly there is no point in arguing with this....except to say that over the years I have pointed out that using cemetery carparks shows a lack of respect for local feelings. (campsites should be plural at any rate)
I am assuming that anyone going to London would expect to be allowed to wildcamp here? Highgate Cemetery (http://highgatecemetery.org/)

Beemer
10-08-2015, 11:41
I do not know the location, or have I been there, but going by what Bernie has posted, I think he done the right, and polite thing. However, it would depend on the locals approach as to whether I would have moved on or not. If it had been aggressive, then I may have been more stubborn to move.
There is always the "what ifs", like, what if I had travelled from the south of England to look for a relatives grave in Skye? Would the woman have expected me to move, cos she said so?
Hypothetical I know, but what if?

caledonia
10-08-2015, 12:26
Sagart, I take offence to your reaction. I never said it,s ok to park at the cemetery. I said Skye is crap, IMO. Ok for tourists and tinkers. No good for wild camping. IMO. Why does that make me a sad wee man? Lol. And there is only one campsite at Glen Brittle (fairy Glen) so no need to correct my poor English.

sagart
10-08-2015, 13:16
Sagart, I take offence to your reaction. I never said it,s ok to park at the cemetery. I said Skye is crap, IMO. Ok for tourists and tinkers. No good for wild camping. IMO. Why does that make me a sad wee man? Lol. And there is only one campsite at Glen Brittle (fairy Glen) so no need to correct my poor English.

At least seven more...Edinbane, Breakish, Portree, Uig, Ardvasar, Staffin and a CC. one on the corner as you turn to Glenbrittle. Fairy Glen is near Uig, do you mean the Fairy Pools?
The comment about cemeteries was not aimed at you, it is a point I have often made in the past when people have asked for advice about the Western Isles

st3v3
10-08-2015, 13:29

I've pondered for a while, but in your opinion why is it disrespectful to be parked overnight in a graveyard car park?

Pugs
10-08-2015, 14:12
I may be mistaken but I'm sure I saw no overnighting signs at the Commando memorial when I last called in.
Not sure that they were official signs but I don't stay anywhere there is a sign regardless of its authenticity, it's obvious you are not welcome.

I only go to Skye to visit friends, as a few others have said I think it's over rated. I much prefer Mull or higher up on the west coast.

Got to agree 100% there, Sky not the friendliest location and not overly enthralled with us lot. Mull, is much much better IMHO. Still, I wouldn't feel comfortable in a cemetry car park 'wilding' just doesn't feel right.

Pugs
10-08-2015, 14:17
Agree about Mull. Went into a pub for lunch. "Oh we do not serve food at lunchtime "

Dave

That happens quite a lot on the west coast, not just Mull. Take the pub near Glenelg says open 'All day' but only serves food from noon to 14:00 and then again from 18:30 - 21:00, their pretty hard pushed with staff and retaining them, hence why the hours aren't brill. Skye is the same.

John H
10-08-2015, 14:41
I've pondered for a while, but in your opinion why is it disrespectful to be parked overnight in a graveyard car park?

I have no idea. We have used the car park that is the subject of this thread and had no trouble with the locals. I think it is probably a matter of your attitude more than anything else. If you start having a raucous party then I suspect the locals would justifiably get upset but if you are discreet and respectful, I cannot see why anybody would be upset. We have positively been encouraged by locals to use cemetery car parks (from Scotland to Italy) and have only once been asked to move on (by a Spanish Mayor who had complaints from a couple of elderly women residents and who was not only extremely apologetic and polite but also showed us where we could stay). But at the end of the day, my rule is that if you are upsetting the locals then it is time to move on. I don't want to cause any trouble - and I don't want my van damaged!

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS