PDA

View Full Version : Touring Scotland in 5 days

fleurance
28-08-2015, 22:44
Hi,
i'm a new member, my name is Fleurance. i rented a motorhome for my family (me, hubby, and 4 kids 6-4-2 and 4 months old) for next week.
i welcome any advise you can give me.

i made an itinerary:

day 0 Birmingham to Scotland
we will probably arrive very late so don't know where we can sleep
day 1 Loch Lomond area,
Bracklinn falls

day 2 Isle of Skye
Neist point
Duntulm castle
Kilt rock
Portree
Fairy Pools

day 3 NC 500 going North
Achmelvich beach
Ardvreck Castle
Smoo Cave Durness Sango bay

day 4 around Inverness
Loch Ness Urquhart castle
Nairn beach
The bow and Fiddle rock Portknockie

day 5 Aberdeen-Dundee
Dunnottar castle
return to Birmingham

I have to say we like the nature so want to see waterfalls, beach, caves, forest but we do not like cities, especially with a motorhome as we are beginners at driving it i will try to avoid entering cities.
also with 4 small kids i'm not sure we can only do wild camping, i would love to but we might need to empty waste and fill up water.
can you please tell me if we need to empty waste every day or is it every 2 days? how many showers can we take with a full tank of water, if you have this kind of infos or any other suggestions that would be very much appreciated.

many thanks in advance
regards

AndyR
28-08-2015, 23:13
Hi.

Difficult to advise as far as emptying/filling tanks goes as it depends on your personal habits, number of people etc. If we take take my daughter and granddaughter (8 + 5) with us, so 4 of us all together, we need to empty the toilet cassette every second day. Fresh water lasts us 3 or 4 days before getting down to around a quarter full. I empty the waste water whenever I see a convenient drain! We nearly always wild camp so do everything (toiler, shower, cooking etc) in the motorhome. Don't shower as you do at home. Turn it on, get wet, turn it off, lather up and wash, turn it back on and rinse!

Perhaps a better bit of advice would be with regards to your itinerary. That seems like a lot of mileage for 5 days with kids to keep amused. Personally I'd do a little less mileage and free up more time for exploring beaches, forests, castles etc with the kids!

Consider joining the forum, well worth it for the POI files that list thousands of wild camping spots, public toilets, taps and even pub stops. You'll be able to look at them in advance using Google Streetview so will know in advance what will be round about you.

Whatever you do, enjoy, the kids will love it!

tribute11
28-08-2015, 23:45
I think that you are unrealistic in your itinerary. I don't think you appreciate the roads we have in Scotland. They are not motorways and even in most places, not even dual carriageway. If you want to cover all these places then you will constantly be on the move and not have enough time to stop and enjoy.

Wooie1958
29-08-2015, 04:54
Likewise, you`ve given yourself way too much to do in the allotted time.

You will spend all your time driving and will hardly see anything, IMHO you need to look again at your itinerary and cut it right back.

Please don`t spoil your first motohome trip to Scotland by trying to do everything all in one go :wave:

runnach
29-08-2015, 06:25
With your allocated time scale, I would head for Dumfries and Galloway area, glorious part of our world, with many beaches and forests for you all to explore.

To give you an idea of your posted intinery, leaving my home in car, to Achmelvich Bay, six hours, with no break.

hextal
29-08-2015, 06:55
We went on holiday in/on Skye last year. Driving from Leeds to portree involved 2 long days of solid driving. As above, once you get north of Glasgow and start getting onto some of the narrower roads, average speeds can nose dive.

To put in context, you are probably talking an hour and a half from Skye bridge to portree.

I'd suggest, take the journey times given by google maps and add at least another 50%.

In terms of your other questions, at the risk of sounding unhelpful, that is very much dependent on how big your tank is and how much time/water you use as you go. Think that is very much down to the individual(s), so a case of try it and see how it goes, then modify your usage or your stopover strategy to suit.

flyinghigh
29-08-2015, 08:17
Haven't long come back from 4 weeks in Scotland and didn't cover a third of the miles you propose!
It needs seriously slimming down if you are going to enjoy the trip, it's a beautiful place but like a quality wine it needs to be sipped and not gulped down,:cheers:

shortcircuit
29-08-2015, 08:22
I would suggest you try North Wales first rather than endure your family to a long boring drive. My knowledge of Wales is not to great but my memories of the north west coast were lovely long beaches and some beautiful countryside.

Deleted user 21925
29-08-2015, 08:37
I would suggest you try North Wales first rather than endure your family to a long boring drive. My knowledge of Wales is not to great but my memories of the north west coast were lovely long beaches and some beautiful countryside.

.....Or the Lake District.

witzend
29-08-2015, 10:47
I read your post as it's the first time with a motorhome so as others have said don't plan to much. Your biggest worry as I see it will be emptying the
toilet cassette with a family using it daily at least I should imagine. Still a nice adventure with the family where ever you end up. Best Wishes T&C

Let us Know how you got On

jann
29-08-2015, 13:14
Don't try to do that much mileage you will not enjoy it.
Dumfries and Galloway is a good area to aim for.
Start off with plenty of water.
No need to shower every day.when you do be very sparing with water.
Make use of shop toilets and fill up with water every chance you get.

tribute11
29-08-2015, 15:49

Or Yorkshire

fleurance
30-08-2015, 21:45
Thanks a lot for your advises i will reduce my itinerary then, but still going to Scotland, as already visited Wales and Lake district.
all your replies were very helpful
thanks again to all of you

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS