PDA

View Full Version : Stolen motorhome

TJBi
20-10-2015, 20:39
Hobby Van Exclusive, registration GN09 DVC, stolen from SW Birmingham between 1830 and 1945 this evening.
It's left-hand drive, just under 7 metres long, on a Ford Transit chassis. Photos below. Would appreciate it if people could keep an eye open for it when out and about.

Tom

royh28
20-10-2015, 20:55
Disaster! Would it help if members could put this on facebook?
If so let us know.
Comiserations, Roy & Pauline

Admin
20-10-2015, 21:02
I am sorry to hear about this, as you may know someone tried to steal my van this year too. I hope your van is quickly found and returned to you.

If you have a MK6 / MK7 transit it is really important that you defend against you van being stolen. It takes less than two minutes to steal these vans without the keys and without damaging the vans. If you have a transit you need to:

1) Change the drivers door lock to a high security barrel. (The picks for these locks cost 20 and anyone can use them to open the van)
2) Get a disclok for the steering wheel. (this will deter the thieves)
3) Move or protect the ODB port. (They can program a new key in seconds with a device that cost 85)

105 gets you a kit that can steal any of these vans.

Please if you own one spend 150 and making it far harder to steal.

TJBi
20-10-2015, 21:03
Hi Roy,

Thanks for your response. Must say that I have always avoided Facebook but under these circumstances would welcome any publicity that may assist in recovery, so yes, please feel free to post it there.

Kind regards,

Tom

PinkFlowerPetal
20-10-2015, 21:09
Oh My Goodness, so sorry to read your bad news, I hope that it is recovered quickly in good condition, such a lovely looking van.

Thinking of you.

Teutone
20-10-2015, 21:11
Oh NOOOOOO!
Very sorry to read this.

We too have a transit Mk7 based Motorhome and I have taken some steps but will look into further measures.

Hope you get out at the end of this with your chin up and no loss.

Take care.

royh28
20-10-2015, 21:17
Just posted to my friends on facebook, hope we can help get your MH back.
Good luck, Roy & Pauline

helen262
20-10-2015, 21:21
Shared on Facebook on 3 motorhome group pages, hope you find it! It is getting shared around already. Fingers crossed.

TJBi
20-10-2015, 22:54
Thanks for all the help and messages of support.

Tom

jeanette
20-10-2015, 23:18
So sorry to hear about the theft of your MH and I do hope that you get it back soon and in good condition thieving bu99ers (been polite)

Jimhunterj4
21-10-2015, 03:27
Hope you get it back in 1 piece pal, good luck

izwozral
25-10-2015, 22:39
Bump.

TJBi
27-10-2015, 18:48
Now one week on and no news. The police indicated that they would not be doing more than hope that it would trigger an ANPR camera, but I suspect that that hope is somewhat forlorn.

Tom

izwozral
27-10-2015, 19:11
Now one week on and no news. The police indicated that they would not be doing more than hope that it would trigger an ANPR camera, but I suspect that that hope is somewhat forlorn.

Tom

That is not good news Tom, gutted for you. I would have thought the number plate had been changed, so ANPR would be a no-goer. Fingers crossed. A stolen motorhome did turn up safe & sound so all is not lost. I am in contact with the owner/member who is 'taking care of business' in his own way.

sasquatch
27-10-2015, 19:40
That is not good news Tom, gutted for you. I would have thought the number plate had been changed, so ANPR would be a no-goer. Fingers crossed. A stolen motorhome did turn up safe & sound so all is not lost. I am in contact with the owner/member who is 'taking care of business' in his own way.
This will happen more and more as the police downgrade investigations due to cuts. I hope that if found the thieves are given a 'good talking to!

27-10-2015, 20:00
Fit GPS trackers to your motor-homes, they don't cost much and it is the only way, short of a miracle, that you will have any chance of getting a stolen motor home back.

Steveyates02
27-10-2015, 20:33
Sorry to hear your news but do you want it back hope the insurance pay full value and you can get another one I had a caravan stolen years ago and thank god it was not found I got a new one from insurance I would not want it back after someone else had been in it espaesialy a low life like the one that stole yours

TJBi
28-10-2015, 08:40
Sorry to hear your news but do you want it back hope the insurance pay full value and you can get another one I had a caravan stolen years ago and thank god it was not found I got a new one from insurance I would not want it back after someone else had been in it espaesialy a low life like the one that stole yours

I know what you mean, but we found that the layout, not what we had been thinking of when we started looking, was generally very good. Finding another LHD van with the same or similar layout may not be easy and then there's the matter of the contents, some of which can no longer be bought and were just what we wanted.

Tom

TJBi
10-11-2015, 19:59
Now 3 weeks without any news. Any ideas as to the timescale within which stolen motorhomes turn up if they're going to? The dealer from whom we bought it reckons that it would have been shipped abroad pretty quickly, and as it was left-hand drive that does appear a logical scenario, in which case we're extremely unlikely to see it again. At least it wasn't loaded for a trip, but there was still a lot of gear on board as well - you don't realise how much until you have to provide a list!

Slowly getting round to thinking about a replacement, but similar ones are few and far between in the UK, and none with left-hand drive, and I haven't yet identified another make/model with a similar layout. A few on the continent, but not sure that we want the hassle of importing. Also, none of those in France or Germany had an oven/grill fitted - seems to be only the UK units that had one - and the one that fits properly, complete with curved door, has been discontinued. Could take us a long time to find something that meets our requirements.

Tom

jeanette
10-11-2015, 22:19
So sorry to hear that you have had no news about the whereabouts of your MH if as you say that in the unlikely event where you don't get it back I hope you find a replacement quickly and to your likening

john t
11-11-2015, 04:24
Sorry to hear of your bad news, it seems that Motor home theft is on the increase, someone on my fb page recently had there's stolen from Tesco's car park, and they where just about to go full time in it.!
Hope your insurance company is playing ball with you.!

jt

phillybarbour
11-11-2015, 05:59
Sorry that after three weeks no good news. If your in good health you have life's greatest asset and all other things become unimportant in time, best wishes.

PaulRichardson
19-01-2016, 18:28
If you have a MK6 / MK7 transit it is really important that you defend against you van being stolen. It takes less than two minutes to steal these vans without the keys and without damaging the vans. If you have a transit you need to:

1) Change the drivers door lock to a high security barrel. (The picks for these locks cost 20 and anyone can use them to open the van)
2) Get a disclok for the steering wheel. (this will deter the thieves)
3) Move or protect the ODB port. (They can program a new key in seconds with a device that cost 85)

Hi there,

All great suggestions which I intend to carry out, but have you any advice on how to protect the OBD Port?

Regards,

Paul

GWAYGWAY
19-01-2016, 19:13
It already has got a set of Eire number plates on it and disappeared into the country criminal fraternity never to be seen again. There is no way to check on false plates from there as there are probably a couple of similar vans that are on the same numbers.
Hobby are the favourite make of caravans and motorhome for some groups.

Admin
19-01-2016, 19:19
Hi there,

All great suggestions which I intend to carry out, but have you any advice on how to protect the OBD Port?

Regards,

Paul

You can buy an OBD port safe.

Beware of cutting wires as the OBD port on later Transits is on a bus (one wire in and one wire out of the same pin) you could disable parts of the van.

jimbo
19-01-2016, 20:36
So sorry to hear about the theft of your MH and I do hope that you get it back soon and in good condition thieving bu99ers (been polite)

Hi there if looking for more security on motorhome, would it not be worth while fitting a tracker you can buy of ebay for 70 and you can track it on computer or mobile phone very accurate and you can even wire it up to your fuel pump and immobilise the van from your phone also . it is called REWIRE SECURITY worth a look Jim

Admin
19-01-2016, 21:50
Just a quick point on tracking devices...

Most trackers these days rely on a SIM card and use the cellular network. As thieves steal the vehicles they turn on a portable jammer. The jammer prevents the tracker receiving Satellite data (for location) and stops the tracker connecting to the cellular network. So basically useless.

The Brand "Tracker" uses a different system, but needs a specially equipped vehicle to find the stolen motor.

Portable Cell Phone Jammer 3G/4G/WIFI/GPS/LOJACK [8 Powerful Antennas+band control switch] [242A-16] - 229.00 : jammer4u.co.uk (http://www.jammer4uk.com/portable-cell-phone-jammer-3g4gwifigpslojack-8-powerful-antennasband-control-switch-p-49.html)

QFour
21-01-2016, 09:09
It's getting to a point with these vehicles where you might as well take the starter battery out and take it with you. I cannot understand why a Company the size of Ford have left such a gaping hole in the vehicle security system. With a simple software update they could stop you programming a key which would help. One of the biggest problems seems to be the cost of parts. If your Transit needs a new engine it's going to cost more than the vehicle is worth at a Main Dealer but you can buy a late model Transit Engine on EBay for 500 and a Gearbox for 300 so the thieves are quids in with just a couple of parts. With a stolen MH you have all the other bits that are ridiculously expensive like fridges and blown air heating systems.

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS