PDA

View Full Version : stolen R V

slowpace
07-11-2015, 12:31
not mine

Robert McLaren Courts , 5th November...... PLEASE SHARE THIS AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE! OUR HUGE LUX RV STOLEN FROM TESCO CAR PARK IN BRENT CROSS. REG NO FJ59EFD
Our RV, which is our home at the moment, (we have rented our flat and were travelling Europe) was stolen last evening, 5th November 2015 between the hours of 6pm and 7pm from Tesco car park in Brent Cross. This is literally our home and contains all belongings, our clothes, guitar, laptop, work, sentimental memorabilia etc! Please make it viral so these scumbags are caught and our RV is found! Should you sight it please contact the police immediately or myself. We have nothing more than the items we were carrying around with us at the t

Yogihughes
07-11-2015, 12:42
How horrific for the owners!!!!!!

ScamperVan
07-11-2015, 12:43
Also post on the fb page so it can be shared more widely

Fingers crossed that they get it back.

John Thompson
07-11-2015, 12:52
This is the reason one of us stays with our home, while the other does the shopping.

vindiboy
07-11-2015, 13:21
35081 I saw this on Face Book, it is the van that was stolen.

jmd100
07-11-2015, 15:17
Try putting it on stolen motor homes in Facebook

in north London will keep a look out

caledonia
07-11-2015, 15:51
Ford transits are so easy to steal. Put a Hobby conversion on the back and the gypos cant resist it. People with transit based vans need to invest in extra security precautions.

izwozral
07-11-2015, 19:37
Gutted for you mate, particularly as it is your home. I really hope there is a happy outcome for you and the thieves eyeballs rot in their heads.

welshrarebit
08-11-2015, 06:43
I feel gutted for these people and have shared it on Facebook. Its high lighted for us how blase we are. We have now decided that we are not leaving the van unattended at car parks and are getting more locks fitted even though we use deadlocks every time we leave it.

yorkslass
08-11-2015, 07:58
I feel gutted for these people and have shared it on Facebook. Its high lighted for us how blase we are. We have now decided that we are not leaving the van unattended at car parks and are getting more locks fitted even though we use deadlocks every time we leave it.

I can understand how you feel, and for the owners it must be dreadful,BUT, you can't let something like this control your life. Instead of being your joy, your van will become your prison.

Fazerloz
08-11-2015, 08:01
Not an rv a coachbuilt ice cream van,
A Dethleffs on a transit chassis

Whats a recreational vehicle then. As Americans do coach-built ice cream vans and call them recreational vehicles.

paulhelenwilko
08-11-2015, 16:42
I find it difficult to believe that in this day and age where we have cameras everywhere and APNR how anyone can get very far with a great big Motorhome,
which looks fairly unique (there cannot be that many in the country.)

How do people manage to get away with something like this for any period of time without the vehicle being spotted.? and who are they ?

By the way A friend was once told by a police officer that he could not use the term Gypos, the correct term is 'Thieving Barstewards'

I hope they find your van quickly, keep us informed.

2cv
08-11-2015, 16:54

Maybe a tracker would help to put your mind at ease.

Alf
08-11-2015, 18:22
With tracker signal blockers from 15 from the bay site what good is trackers these days

Alf

Maybe a tracker would help to put your mind at ease.

Alf
08-11-2015, 18:27
It's quite simple really you just change the number plate to a similar vehicle and prior to that dirty the number plates and use a another vehicle to obscure the camera.
On larger vehicles a good idea is the rev no on the roof in large letters.

AND anyone with a . FORD get extra security.

Alf

I find it difficult to believe that in this day and age where we have cameras everywhere and APNR how anyone can get very far with a great big Motorhome,
which looks fairly unique (there cannot be that many in the country.)

How do people manage to get away with something like this for any period of time without the vehicle being spotted.? and who are they ?

By the way A friend was once told by a police officer that he could not use the term Gypos, the correct term is 'Thieving Barstewards'

I hope they find your van quickly, keep us informed.

spigot
08-11-2015, 18:47
Near where I live in Essex is a smallholding where the lady owner runs a storage facility for motorhomes.

She will NOT accept any van with double back wheels, because she says, they WILL be targeted by thieves (gyppos).

In the past, there have been three attempts to take large vans.

08-11-2015, 20:09
With tracker signal blockers from 15 from the bay site what good is trackers these days

Alf

A bit of a defeatist attitude, trackers are so cheap that it is foolish not to fit one. Signal blockers are not fool proof, and I believe the ones you describe plug into the vehicle's cigarette lighter socket so are likely to switch off with the vehicle's ignition.
Unless the van is going to be broken for spares, which is unlikely for a motor home, then a tracker will continue to transmit it's whereabouts for years to come, unless the thieves find the tracker.
It is common practice for thieves to park stolen vehicles in public places for a couple of days to see if it has a tracker fitted before continuing with their nefarious activities rather than use signal blockers. Stolen motor homes tend to be disguised with identities from worn out builders' vans and then sold on to unsuspecting victims, the thieves won't have a blocker chirping away all the time they are doing this.
If it doesn't have a tracker you have next to no chance of getting it back, there is always your insurance of course, not forgetting the excess, increased premiums and loss of no-claims.

TJBi
08-11-2015, 21:32
A bit of a defeatist attitude, trackers are so cheap that it is foolish not to fit one. Signal blockers are not fool proof, and I believe the ones you describe plug into the vehicle's cigarette lighter socket so are likely to switch off with the vehicle's ignition.
<snip>

The lighter sockets in the cab of the Ford Transit appear to be independent of the vehicle ignition. And of course there's frequently also a lighter socket that operates off the leisure batteries.

Bigwully
09-11-2015, 08:06

Alf

My tracker also cuts the fuel line, sets of the alarm siren, isolates the ignition and transmits the location. Blockers can be bought cheaply but would have to be one that blocks the phone signal, blocking the gps only blocks the location being transmitted. If at any time during the theft if a phone signal is received by the unit it carries out the isolation functions. In any case the blocker does not effect the alarm system which operates in any case. For the 25 spent it gives some protection for very little cost and not all thieves have blockers many are just opportunists. I would be devastated to lose my van, as I am sure those who have suffered would testify, so anything I can do to deter the thief I would. Try and relate it to your first aid kit, you may not need it as there are many doctors and hospitals in the world but if you cut yourself you will think its the best purchase you ever made no matter what quality the sticking plaster is.

Alf
09-11-2015, 08:37
It's surprising how many insurance company's no longer require trackers a very good thatchem alarm yes.

The larger coachbuilts are not stolen by opportunists these will have been noted and followed and stolen order a good alarm upgraded locks and a steering wheel lock will deter theocrats don't want to waste the time in view of general public, if the van is out of sight then that's another matter.

Alf

Asterix
09-11-2015, 09:15
It's surprising how many insurance company's no longer require trackers a very good thatchem alarm yes.

The larger coachbuilts are not stolen by opportunists these will have been noted and followed and stolen order a good alarm upgraded locks and a steering wheel lock will deter theocrats don't want to waste the time in view of general public, if the van is out of sight then that's another matter.

Alf

Steering locks aren't much use either,I can have one off in under 20 seconds,what I used to do with my classic cars was to fit a switch in the ignition circuit,hidden away under the dash,seat etc could take ages to find,even if they figured out there was one.
I could probably leave my doors wide open with the keys in the ignition and no one would steal my mh...the joy of owning an oldy,it would be the slowest getaway since the first model T got flogged!

Alf
09-11-2015, 10:06
I have yet to see anyone get into or remove a disklok very quick. some of the cheap ones are not worth fitting i will agree.
given time anything is possible.

Alf

Steering locks aren't much use either,I can have one off in under 20 seconds,what I used to do with my classic cars was to fit a switch in the ignition circuit,hidden away under the dash,seat etc could take ages to find,even if they figured out there was one.
I could probably leave my doors wide open with the keys in the ignition and no one would steal my mh...the joy of owning an oldy,it would be the slowest getaway since the first model T got flogged!

Asterix
09-11-2015, 10:40
I have yet to see anyone get into or remove a disklok very quick. some of the cheap ones are not worth fitting i will agree.
given time anything is possible.

Alf

The quality doesn't matter,the pros just hacksaw thru the steering wheel ring and spread it apart, flip the lock off and done,20 seconds would be a slow removal. A new steering wheel is a cheap price to pay for a motorhome.

Alf
09-11-2015, 10:57
How would you do this with a Disklok have you seen one !!

alf

The quality doesn't matter,the pros just hacksaw thru the steering wheel ring and spread it apart, flip the lock off and done,20 seconds would be a slow removal. A new steering wheel is a cheap price to pay for a motorhome.

helen262
09-11-2015, 11:01
I have to agree with Alf the disklok won't be removed in 20 seconds I use these on all our vehicles

Asterix
09-11-2015, 11:04
How would you do this with a Disklok have you seen one !!

alf

No,I assumed it was one that went from pedal onto steering wheel? OK just had a quick Google,not seen one like that before,I must be getting old!! Apologies for the confusion.

TJBi
09-11-2015, 17:39
<snip> In any case the blocker does not effect the alarm system which operates in any case. <snip>

The standard system on the Ford Transit Mk.7 appears to be that the alarm is set/unset by locking/unlocking the cab door. If a thief uses a lock pick, this unsets the alarm when it unlocks the door. Then, they only have to circumvent the immobiliser, which is done using the OBD port.
If your motorhome is based on a Transit Mk.7 (or IIRC Mk.6), check out Admin's recommendations.
http://www.wildcamping.co.uk/forums/wild-camping-motorhome-chat/48743-stolen-motorhome-post579188.html#post579188

Tom

WitchyOne
09-11-2015, 18:36
I've no experience at all with trackers but this sounds like an awesome piece of kit. It does all this yet only cost 25, or have I misunderstood?
Would you mind giving me a name so I can look for one please? Is it something I could fit myself or would I need to have the garage do it?

My tracker also cuts the fuel line, sets of the alarm siren, isolates the ignition and transmits the location. Blockers can be bought cheaply but would have to be one that blocks the phone signal, blocking the gps only blocks the location being transmitted. If at any time during the theft if a phone signal is received by the unit it carries out the isolation functions. In any case the blocker does not effect the alarm system which operates in any case. For the 25 spent it gives some protection for very little cost and not all thieves have blockers many are just opportunists.

WitchyOne
09-11-2015, 18:46
It's very probable that I've missed seeing it but can anyone point me in the direction of a post with the vehicles details, the photograph, and owners contact details please? I'm more than happy to share it on Facebook.

Alf
09-11-2015, 21:19
If you read post number 1 on this thread it was made by someone who had seen the post elsewhere,
But it does give details and rev number if you wish to post anywhere else

Alf

It's very probable that I've missed seeing it but can anyone point me in the direction of a post with the vehicles details, the photograph, and owners contact details please? I'm more than happy to share it on Facebook.

Bigwully
10-11-2015, 09:20
The standard system on the Ford Transit Mk.7 appears to be that the alarm is set/unset by locking/unlocking the cab door. If a thief uses a lock pick, this unsets the alarm when it unlocks the door. Then, they only have to circumvent the immobiliser, which is done using the OBD port.
If your motorhome is based on a Transit Mk.7 (or IIRC Mk.6), check out Admin's recommendations.
http://www.wildcamping.co.uk/forums/wild-camping-motorhome-chat/48743-stolen-motorhome-post579188.html#post579188

Tom

The system I have does not use the vehicle alarm at all. It is self battery back up can utilise door switches pir etc and operates either the vehicle horn or a self purchased siren

Bigwully
10-11-2015, 09:32
I've no experience at all with trackers but this sounds like an awesome piece of kit. It does all this yet only cost 25, or have I misunderstood?
Would you mind giving me a name so I can look for one please? Is it something I could fit myself or would I need to have the garage do it?

Check out eBay. TK103b. TK104b are two models. Only advice I would give is purchase from a uk based supplier and make sure you get the one with the remote control for the alarm. Also sold on many other sites Amazon etc. only difference is the price. Hope this helps. Last comment I would make is nothing will stop determined thieves from stealing your property but anything you can do to deter or make it difficult may make them consider taking an easier choice, maybe towards someone who hasn't made the choice to deter them first. House alarms are a good example, even the dummy box makes opportunists think again. Ok stealing high value motorhomes is a well planned operation in most cases but we don't all own high value motorhomes but we still get them nicked.

WitchyOne
11-11-2015, 00:28
Thank you Alf, yes, I read the first post and realised it was posted on behalf of someone else. Further down the thread someone else posted a photo of the RV as they'd seen it on Facebook I just wondered it there was a post where someone had combined details and photo preferably with a contact number for the owner. I'm not sure how effective it would be to just call the police and tell them you've spotted a stolen vehicle, I'd be a bit concerned whether or not it would be followed up.

If you read post number 1 on this thread it was made by someone who had seen the post elsewhere,
But it does give details and rev number if you wish to post anywhere else

Alf

WitchyOne
11-11-2015, 00:33
Thank you very much, that's a huge help and much appreciated. I'll get googling for a UK based supplier :)

Check out eBay. TK103b. TK104b are two models. Only advice I would give is purchase from a uk based supplier and make sure you get the one with the remote control for the alarm. Also sold on many other sites Amazon etc. only difference is the price. Hope this helps.

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS