PDA

View Full Version : Readers wanted

delicagirl
27-11-2015, 08:32
Hi as some of you know I am studying Creative Writing at uni on a part time basis. I need some more readers, commentators, editors, independent views of my work... The process of reading and providing feedback to an author involves...... spotting typos, identifying plot lines that don't work, pointing out inconsistencies in descriptions of characters/locations/action, commenting on whether it "works" or not and why not if it doesn't work, pointing out bits which just don't "flow", commenting on whether the character is well drawn enough that you have a picture of them in your head, commenting on the credibility of the ending of a story.

it sounds a lot but its not really. So for those of you who do a lot of reading your services would be very much appreciated...

I would never send more than a few pages at a time ........ so......... any serious offers ? thank you

a fairly speedy turn round would be fab

p.s. before the usual guys comment no I am not writing a steamy sex novel... (yet!!)

horshamjack
27-11-2015, 09:24
Hi Collette
my OH Sam said she would like to help if possible? always got a book or kindle at hand, pm me if you would like her email address.

Marc

delicagirl
27-11-2015, 09:26
Hi Collette
my OH Sam said she would like to help if possible? always got a book or kindle at hand, pm me if you would like her email address.

Marc

thank you very much I am most grateful... if you send her email address to my private message box I can send her a short piece today..... best wishes collette

andyjanet
27-11-2015, 09:34
Janet will, i am speaking for her but she always enjoys that sort of thing, andy

ricc
27-11-2015, 09:42
ive sent a pm with my email address

delicagirl
27-11-2015, 09:54
oh wow everybody .. thank you so much I am overwhelmed !!! I will contact you all privately on the email addresses you have sent... best wishes.....:dance:

Seannachie
27-11-2015, 10:01
Hi as some of you know I am studying Creative Writing at uni on a part time basis.

If you are not already using it, I can thoroughly recommend Scrivener (https://www.literatureandlatte.com/scrivener.php) for all your writing tasks (I have no connection with the company, just a satisfied user). It's on sale today at a 'BlackFriday' discount too. Works on both Windows and Macs. You can even download a trial version to see how it works for you.

Happy writing.

delicagirl
27-11-2015, 10:20
If you are not already using it, I can thoroughly recommend Scrivener (https://www.literatureandlatte.com/scrivener.php) for all your writing tasks (I have no connection with the company, just a satisfied user). It's on sale today at a 'BlackFriday' discount too. Works on both Windows and Macs. You can even download a trial version to see how it works for you.

Happy writing.

thanks sean... I have heard this is good writers software ... I don't have windows 10 and don't want to change from Windows 7 so I don't know if it would work ?

Seannachie
27-11-2015, 10:32
thanks sean... I have heard this is good writers software ... I don't have windows 10 and don't want to change from Windows 7 so I don't know if it would work ?

Yes, it will work just fine on Win 7. Use the free trial and play with it - it's fully functional for 30 days. Like all software, to get the best from it, you've got to read the Help and then play with it, but the Help is truly excellent. It will make your plotting better too, and it is far superior to any other writing programme out there - though if you wish to write film or TV scripts, there are as good if not better alternatives, but you can also write these using Scrivener. Another excellent feature of it is that you can export your work directly into a format suitable for publishing - electronic or real. Try it, I'm sure you'll soon learn to appreciate all that it can do for you.

Liam.

delicagirl
27-11-2015, 10:44
Liam I know I should... I don't have any time till well into the new year to learn new software and I am a real technophobe when it comes to computers..... .... maybe I should just bite the bullet and just buy it anyways... what does it normally cost ?

Seannachie
27-11-2015, 12:44
I thi8nk it's about $35 full price but today it's $25. Note that there are a number of books on Amazon UK about how best to use it - try this link (http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=scrivener&tag=googhydr-21&index=stripbooks&hvadid=78988683633&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=5294032834817373088&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_p9wc7a7on_b) - which will make the learning curve easier. However, you really don't need the books - Scrivener's own built in help is terrific. Personally, were I you, I would just buy it as it really is excellent, the best writing software out there, IMHO.

delicagirl
27-11-2015, 12:49
hi whilst trying to buy it its asking me for a code..... where to I get that from ? thanks

Seannachie
27-11-2015, 12:54
hi whilst trying to buy it its asking me for a code..... where to I get that from ? thanks

As a student, you should get it cheaper than the list price anyway - see this page (https://store5.esellerate.net/store/checkout/CustomLayout.aspx?s=STR5463446766&pc=&page=MultiCatalog.htm). Sorry, don't know about the code to which you refer - I got my copy a long time ago.

You can elect to pay in GB£

whitevanwoman
27-11-2015, 13:03
As a fellow creative writer, I'm happy to oblige. I'm a bit OCD about spelling and grammar (my mum was an English teacher), and it's always much easier to spot mistakes in other people's work than in your own. I'm a bit shy about my own work but it would be good if we could swop and assess each other's work.

I've actually been going through a bit of a writer's block phase so this might be the inspiration I need to get writing again.

Just off out now but if you PM me with your email address, I'll reply with mine later.

delicagirl
27-11-2015, 13:19
As a student, you should get it cheaper than the list price anyway - see this page (https://store5.esellerate.net/store/checkout/CustomLayout.aspx?s=STR5463446766&pc=&page=MultiCatalog.htm). Sorry, don't know about the code to which you refer - I got my copy a long time ago.

You can elect to pay in GB£

thanks for that link it is indeed the same page I am struggling with whilst trying to buy it....... ... as soon as you hit "buy" it asks for a code and you cant move on without one.... grrrr

delicagirl
27-11-2015, 13:20
As a fellow creative writer, I'm happy to oblige. I'm a bit OCD about spelling and grammar (my mum was an English teacher), and it's always much easier to spot mistakes in other people's work than in your own. I'm a bit shy about my own work but it would be good if we could swop and assess each other's work.

I've actually been going through a bit of a writer's block phase so this might be the inspiration I need to get writing again.

Just off out now but if you PM me with your email address, I'll reply with mine later.

I love the reason you edited your above post was to add an apostrophe !! thanks for the offer... I am grateful... I will send you my email shortly... hope you are doing ok... best wishes

Deleted user 21925
27-11-2015, 13:24

I was going to say you've spelt (or should that be spelled?) 'swap' incorrectly Jess.:)

But having checked, I'm not sure now!

Seannachie
27-11-2015, 13:29
The advice often given to aspiring writers is to join a writers' group, but it is not always convenient to do so - or there may not be one in your near vicinity. However, they also exist online and can be a valuable resource.

If you're both into writing short stories, you can always put them up on one of the many writing sites on the web for critques. A site I've used in the past is Francis Ford Coppola's 'American Zoetrope (http://www.zoetrope.com/members/sub/sub_submit.cgi?section_id=1)' site for my scripts. The site is free to join, though you must first register with it. Don't let the fact that the site is American put you off either; there are many British members on it.

Whilst Zoetrope was set up initially for screenwriters (amateur and professional), it has sections for Novellas (8,000 - 24,000 words), short stories (1,000 - 8,000 words), and flash fiction (up to 1,000 words) which anyone can join. You can read anyone's stories there but in order to have your own work reviewed by other members, you have to submit 5 reviews of other folk's stories first. There are instructions on the site about how best to review and what to include in it. Once you have submitted a minimum of 5 reviews, you can them upload a story of your own for review and, as there are some very good writers there (and some bad ones too, so there's no need to feel out of place whatever level you've reached), the feedback you get is more valuable than that from friends, family or casual readers.

Worth a look, perhaps, but then if it's not for you, there are plenty of other sites you can join which will help you refine and learn your craft.

delicagirl
27-11-2015, 13:58
I have downloaded it for free... weird... it wouldn't let me buy it but it will give it to me for a free trial..... thanks everyone.... a useful link for the writers forum by the way..... I will investigate that over the weekend....

we do workshop each others work on my university course but I do find that some of the younger students offer but then cant be bothered - hence my plea here..

must get back to that essay..... thanks once and all

Seannachie
27-11-2015, 14:17
we do workshop each others work on my university course but I do find that some of the younger students offer but then cant be bothered - hence my plea here..

Mention it to your Tutor(s) as workshopping should be an important part of a good writing course as it benefits both the person putting work up for review and the reviewer, and helps them both to improve their craft. Consequently, the Tutor(s) should be encouraging all students to do their bit in this respect but the quality of many 'creative writing' courses appears to be quite low, I'm afraid. What course are you taking? Is it with the OU by any chance?

delicagirl
27-11-2015, 14:36
Mention it to your Tutor(s) as workshopping should be an important part of a good writing course as it benefits both the person putting work up for review and the reviewer, and helps them both to improve their craft. Consequently, the Tutor(s) should be encouraging all students to do their bit in this respect but the quality of many 'creative writing' courses appears to be quite low, I'm afraid. What course are you taking? Is it with the OU by any chance?

no I'm at the Bath Spa university.... not a good course at all.. they are more concerned with getting in "literary prize winners" to run courses so that new students are attracted...... most of them could not teach anyone else how to heat a black pudding

fortunately the head of department is very understanding and i have walked off several modules and changed tutors since I have been there

Fortunately I started studying in the last year of the £3k annual fees.. and so am still on that rat. I am part time and have been there 5 years another 2 to go..... Actually I do enjoy it a lot in spite of the uni's shortcomings

Seannachie
27-11-2015, 18:00
no I'm at the Bath Spa university.... not a good course at all.. they are more concerned with getting in "literary prize winners" to run courses so that new students are attracted...... most of them could not teach anyone else how to heat a black pudding

fortunately the head of department is very understanding and i have walked off several modules and changed tutors since I have been there

Fortunately I started studying in the last year of the £3k annual fees.. and so am still on that rat. I am part time and have been there 5 years another 2 to go..... Actually I do enjoy it a lot in spite of the uni's shortcomings

Just read the Prospectus. My they do make it sound good, but I accept your criticisms as valid and I seriously question the utility of most of these courses for people who are serious about being writers - meaning writing non-fiction novels or scriptwriting for film or TV.

By all means finish your course and graduate, but I suggest that if you wish to become a successful non-fiction writer it would be more useful to pick a genre or genres in which you'd prefer to write, read into it, and then analyse how successful authors have done it, and put the lessons learned from it into your own writing. Having said that, software can help in the creative process - which is why I recommended Scrivener to you - and these days it is easy to publish your own work for sale on one of the many e-publishing sites for free or very little cost (Amazon is only one of them; the main costs involved are for a good book jacket design and blurb, plus an ISBN -which can all be achieved remarkably cheaply) and these sites also pay higher royalties than a conventional publishing house (who probably won't touch a manuscript from an unknown writer anyway), so the future is all yours to grab. But remember the old adage, writing is rewriting, and never give up.

Good luck.

whitevanwoman
27-11-2015, 21:42
I was going to say you've spelt (or should that be spelled?) 'swap' incorrectly Jess.:)

But having checked, I'm not sure now!

Ha ha, just been checking myself, it seems that both are acceptable. Have never thought about it before now but I think I've always spelled (spelt?) it "swop" not "swap". But apparently Roald Dahl used "swop" so that makes it ok ;)

As for spelled / spelt, I'm going to have to check on that too but I'm thinking...

It was spelled correctly
It was spelt out to him slowly

But maybe both can be used interchangeably too :confused:

oldish hippy
28-11-2015, 04:01
well never will write as dont spell or do grammer proper lol but yous lot understand mees and no point in trying to correct my missstakesas it still reads write like isays we dont use full stops, caps ,commas ,when we speak does we lol

pleasignoe spelling as this is just a lighthearted lookat this post lol

delicagirl
28-11-2015, 08:18
Just read the Prospectus. My they do make it sound good, but I accept your criticisms as valid and I seriously question the utility of most of these courses for people who are serious about being writers - meaning writing non-fiction novels or scriptwriting for film or TV.

By all means finish your course and graduate, but I suggest that if you wish to become a successful non-fiction writer it would be more useful to pick a genre or genres in which you'd prefer to write, read into it, and then analyse how successful authors have done it, and put the lessons learned from it into your own writing. Having said that, software can help in the creative process - which is why I recommended Scrivener to you - and these days it is easy to publish your own work for sale on one of the many e-publishing sites for free or very little cost (Amazon is only one of them; the main costs involved are for a good book jacket design and blurb, plus an ISBN -which can all be achieved remarkably cheaply) and these sites also pay higher royalties than a conventional publishing house (who probably won't touch a manuscript from an unknown writer anyway), so the future is all yours to grab. But remember the old adage, writing is rewriting, and never give up.

Good luck.

Hi - this course offers dozens of different modules to choose from - from journalism, to poetry, to copy writing, to short stories, digital media writing, etc etc and the aim in all of them is to guide students how to make money from their writing - getting published - so I cant fault the uni on that score. They also bring in a huge range of speakers from the writing profession to talk about their genre/work/style/income/experience etc - and I found all that very useful. I have always written and now am 1/3rd the way through writing a thriller. The encouragement has been exceptional from most tutors (except those I walked out on !!!) and it has given me a lot of confidence in my abilities. The course has also got me reading genres and authors I would never have considered and its been a really interesting education in that sense. so although it has its poor side, I have enjoyed and have learnt a lot from it.

Probably the thing which surprised me the most was the amount of hard work 18-21 year olds have to do if they are self funding.... (as opposed to those with rich families who pay for their accommodation) - studying full time and working part time and learning how to grow up is a tough experience for them, far tougher than I had thought. Those that get good degrees have my admiration and respect.

am off to write another short story now.....

yorkslass
28-11-2015, 08:43
I've always admired anyone who can write a good story, particularly the classics. I don't seem to have an ounce of imagination. My teacher said I needed to expand what I was writing about but I seem to favour the"why use two words when one will do"brigade. I can even struggle on the 5,000 post thread and we can talk absolute drivel on there.

stonedaddy
28-11-2015, 11:23

Is that a bit of a misspell?. Should it be mouse. ( see I'm helping out already ) OK I'm going now.
.... Tom ....

delicagirl
28-11-2015, 11:26
Is that a bit of a misspell?. Should it be mouse. ( see I'm helping out already ) OK I'm going now.
.... Tom ....

:lol-061:Thank you Tom... its great having comic spell chekcers on here .... should have been RATE - there you go - another opportunity for you.....

Polar Bear
28-11-2015, 14:49
Ha ha, just been checking myself, it seems that both are acceptable. Have never thought about it before now but I think I've always spelled (spelt?) it "swop" not "swap". But apparently Roald Dahl used "swop" so that makes it ok ;)

As for spelled / spelt, I'm going to have to check on that too but I'm thinking...

It was spelled correctly
It was spelt out to him slowly

But maybe both can be used interchangeably too :confused:

SWOP is a fusion of swing and hip hop dances,

SWAP is to barter

SPELT is another name for dinkel wheat

and

SPELLED Is what you get when Harry Potter doesn't like you?

PS chekcers is a 'board' game for dyslexics

whitevanwoman
28-11-2015, 15:14
SWOP is a fusion of swing and hip hop dances,

SWAP is to barter

SPELT is another name for dinkel wheat

and

SPELLED Is what you get when Harry Potter doesn't like you?

PS chekcers is a 'board' game for dyslexics

In accordance with the origin of the word "swap" I shall now swap the dictionary out of the window

swap - definition of swap in English from the Oxford dictionary (http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/swap)

"Origin

Middle English (originally in the sense 'throw forcibly')..."

Sharon the Cat
29-11-2015, 15:59
Hi Delicalgirl, if you still need readers please PM me.
Currently waiting the arrival of my new Kindle Voyage. I think I've worn out my old Kindle keyboard with 5 years of every day use.

delicagirl
13-11-2016, 18:21
Hi guys and gals... i am resurrecting this thread as i know some of you were really helpful when i needed readers last time..... and i wonder if i could call upon you once again please ?

I get no lectures at all this year, so am not in a group at uni, so i really value the time you give to read and comment on my work. No qualifications of any sort are required to do this. I am solely interested in where you think the plot is going. I want to know if i am tempting you enough to continue reading. I dont care about your spelling or any of that stuff... its your response thats important. If you think its not believable ... say so. This is how writers learn.....

I am not able to put my work on the forum (before i submit it for assessment) as strict plagiarism checks are done, and even though i have written it, if it's found on the www its regarded as plagiarism !!! So it would have to be done my email.

At the moment i am working on a radio play - so its very different to anything i have done before.

Many thanks

wildman
13-11-2016, 18:59
I read a lot so always happy to have a look at whatever you write.

Mul
13-11-2016, 19:12
I have been known 2 peer review scientific papers and mentor MSc Fizik students thro' their Thesis & I can comment constructively without changing writing style unlike wot I do on here ! Like a good read too, so if you need more help drop me a pm and I'll keep it all off the Forum, discretely.

If you've more offers than you can cope with I won't be offended.

Chrz Mul.

kernowprickles
13-11-2016, 19:20
I love reading, and am rarely parted from my Kindle, so I would be happy to help if you still need anyone.

idetika
13-11-2016, 20:59
I'll happily read/contribute if you still need anyone :)

delicagirl
13-11-2016, 21:05
I'll happily read/contribute if you still need anyone :)

Thank you very much. I would be delighted to have you on board.

I think the four readers who have generously offered their time will be sufficient for a while anyway. I have 4 assignments for this course..... i'd giving you all the "good stuff" first !!!

Pls could you private message me with your email address and your first name perhaps and i can crack on the collation tomorrow.

bw

Myrkk
13-11-2016, 21:11
I've proof read novels before if that is any help?! Feel free to pm me

mossypossy
13-11-2016, 22:49
My son is currently doing a proofreading course.
Sure he would be happy to assist.

delicagirl
14-11-2016, 06:37
Thank you everyone - i need to work out how to keep track of you all now !!! i will send the first few scenes out later today.

Myrkk could you kindly send me your email address via private message. Thanks.

Mossypossy i will need proof reading more for my essays - which are not due a few weeks - thanks.

idetika
14-11-2016, 18:59
Thank you very much. I would be delighted to have you on board.

I think the four readers who have generously offered their time will be sufficient for a while anyway. I have 4 assignments for this course..... i'd giving you all the "good stuff" first !!!

Pls could you private message me with your email address and your first name perhaps and i can crack on the collation tomorrow.

bw

Messaged you, hope it's not too late!

delicagirl
14-11-2016, 19:39
Messaged you, hope it's not too late!

i am in the middle of organising an email containing the first few scenes for consideration...... getting to grips with everyones 3 bits of data - username-email-realname is a challenge to my befuddled brain tonight !!

delicagirl
19-11-2016, 20:13
hello guys and gals.... i have had a busy few days - just to say thanks so much to those who have read my piece, replied and done such a good job. i have still not found a good way to keep track of you all and which pieces of writing i send you

does anyone know how i can create a "group" of contacts on outlook.com so that at least i dont lose one of you !!!!

i hope to write another few scenes this week and am waiting for a reply from my tutor as to my latest plot twist, before i finalise it.

thanks

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS