PDA

View Full Version : Transit based motorhomes being stolen.

Admin
14-12-2015, 09:51
I still remember the feeling that I had when I noticed that the drivers door on my motorhome was wide open. As I approached it I noticed that the panel below the steering wheel had been removed. I was lucky The fuse for my OBD port had blown and the thieves could not disable the immobiliser, otherwise my motorhome would have been gone.

Since then reports of Transit motorhomes being stolen seem to be increasing, and the reason for this is because they are so easy to steal!

If your van is a Mk6 / Mk7 Transit (2002 - 2014) then you really should upgrade the drivers door lock. It only takes a few seconds to open the drivers door with no damage and the pick decodes the lock and becomes a key for the ignition barrel. Unfortunately these picks are very easy to buy and very cheap.

The lock picks are cheap (£24.95) and easy to use, they can decode the lock and make a temp key in seconds.

When you unlock the drivers door it removes the deadlocks and disables the alarm system.

Next the thieves just need to plug a key programmer into to OBD port and 15 seconds later the immobiliser is useless.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3iN6KfgfXU

I am showing you this because so many people are having their vans stolen when just changing the door barrel and fitting a steering wheel lock wheel deter most thieves.

Transit 2006 > 2013 Hykee Replacement Cylinder | ProtectAVan (http://www.protectavan.co.uk/vehicles/ford/transit-2006-2013-hykee-replacement-cylinder)

With the new lock fitted the thieves cannot disable the alarm or get the front doors open.

Disklok UK (http://www.disklokuk.co.uk/)

The DiskLok makes the vehicle a lot more hassle to steal, and drilling off this lock will certainly not be quiet.

Please share this thread and lets hope we can stop this happening to more motorhomers.

------- UPDATE ------

Just for those people who feel that they will be able to track their vehicles if stolen, unfortunately not. From what I understand these professional thieves also carry a cellular / GPS jammer and an RF sniffer.

Portable Cellphone + Wifi Jammer J-240A-Pro [J-240A-Pro] - £179.00 : jammer4u.co.uk (http://www.jammer4uk.com/portable-cellphone-wifi-jammer-j240apro-p-11.html)

Once the vehicle is safely away they then sniffer out the tracker and disable it.

oldish hippy
14-12-2015, 11:56
ok mine not a transit but they got into mine stole a few items lol and left few more valuable items that where there for the taking but had funny feeling and i put on the disc lock for a change so if you see a card stuck to window offering to buy it then just take care it was strange that mine has only been touched since ihad the card and yet i have been out and found i had left it open on more than one occasion

jeffscarborough
14-12-2015, 16:44
http://stores.ebay.co.uk/ProtectAVan/OBD-Port-Protectors-/_i.html?_fsub=6255356014

Might want to consider one of these as well.

Jeff.

Admin
14-12-2015, 17:11
http://stores.ebay.co.uk/ProtectAVan/OBD-Port-Protectors-/_i.html?_fsub=6255356014

Jeff.

I have moved my OBD port to a different location, but the locks are a good idea.

helen262
14-12-2015, 17:27
I have heard of people moving the odp port then putting a false one in its place and if a live feed is put to a certain number on the port ( which I have forgotten but will try find out later ) then it burns out anything plugged into it

Alf
14-12-2015, 17:35
This is ok unless it's your unsuspecting AA man or garage mechanic move ok

Alf

I have heard of people moving the odp port then putting a false one in its place and if a live feed is put to a certain number on the port ( which I have forgotten but will try find out later ) then it burns out anything plugged into itl

Chris356
14-12-2015, 17:42
I have heard of people moving the odp port then putting a false one in its place and if a live feed is put to a certain number on the port ( which I have forgotten but will try find out later ) then it burns out anything plugged into it

Hi it's pins 6 and 14 white/blue and white which are the can wires you could remove fuse 66 a 5 amp that is the supply to the pats system and replace it with a blown one then their unit will not communicate with bcm

alcam
14-12-2015, 17:42
How is it possible that a major motor manufacturer can produce something which has such an obvious flaw ? Its not as if Ford don't have previous . One key would open virtually any mk.1 Cortina or Anglia , it would also start these vehicles . That is if you could get the b*****ds to start !

yorkshire lad
14-12-2015, 18:08
My lad has a toyota supra and to stop toe rags taking it he has a quick release steering wheel he take off, I remember seeing:idea: one for talbot express campers at the york show years ago, so I wonder if there is any company out there that can do it for a wheel with an airbag, as an air bag is just like a talbot 📯 it is in the middle of the steering wheel and conceded by 2 wires, just a thought :idea:

Alf
14-12-2015, 18:18
I don't think there is a removable steering wheel for air bag cars but these chaps will come with one or drive with a pair of mole grips

Alf

My lad has a toyota supra and to stop toe rags taking it he has a quick release steering wheel he take off, I remember seeing:idea: one for talbot express campers at the york show years ago, so I wonder if there is any company out there that can do it for a wheel with an airbag, as an air bag is just like a talbot 📯 it is in the middle of the steering wheel and conceded by 2 wires, just a thought :idea:

QFour
14-12-2015, 19:08
It's down to cost. They save a few pounds by putting rubbish locks on. You would have thought that vehicle security would be at the top of the list rather than at the bottom. Strange that you can program a key into the system that easily. Cutting one of the canbus wires seems like a good idea. If you put a connector on each end you can just push them together when needed.

When I was a youngster I used to work in a reasonably rough part of town. The guy in the Post Office had had his car radio stolen a couple of times and was not at all happy. One of those radios with a screw at the back. Put your hand behind the dash and undo the screw then pull the radio out. One day we had the Police, Fire Brigade and Ambulance all round his car. One of the local villains was lying on the passenger seat with his hand stuck up the back of the radio. Unable to get his hand out he had called for help. The Post Office guy had fitted a brand new radio and also added some barbed wire under the dash. The villian had got his hand up the back and got caught by the barbed wire. The Fire Brigade were all for cutting the dash out but someone would have to pay for it. In the end they just grabbed the guys arm and pulled. Then took him to hospital.

yorkshire lad
14-12-2015, 19:22
Let's hope they took the long way and not hurried

Big bed camper
14-12-2015, 19:44
is it only the drivers door lock that you rep[ace with the Hykee thing, or do you need to do all key loacks on the vehicle?

Admin
14-12-2015, 19:52
is it only the drivers door lock that you rep[ace with the Hykee thing, or do you need to do all key loacks on the vehicle?

The transits only have one ford lock.

trevskoda
14-12-2015, 19:58
Ford and vauxhall are the big targets here and nomater what you do if they have there eye on it its a gonner,i have even heard that vans cars and m/bikes are loaded into containers and disappeared to europe.
One of the biggest tea leaf rings was found by accadent here in co/antrim by a causal police check on industrial premises ,so you have to choices ,buy a big nasty DOG for van or never leave it.

14-12-2015, 20:39

Fine until you wreck an unsuspecting mechanic's kit!

MarkJ
14-12-2015, 21:24

So this doesn't affect the central locking on the remote fob in any way? That still works?

This

yeoblade
14-12-2015, 21:35

I would therefore recommend changing it for a Fiat lock.

kris
14-12-2015, 22:11
+1 for Disclok-a bit clumsy but worth while it can also be seen by lowlives so may put them off.Next job is a hidden switch to cut fuel pump off-cheap and easy to do.

helen262
15-12-2015, 05:56
Fine until you wreck an unsuspecting mechanic's kit!
Anyone with some common sense would tell the garage before hand and point out where the real obd port is,or make it safe before taking to a garage

GWAYGWAY
15-12-2015, 06:29

Jeff.

I have got, but not yet fitted a fuel line cutoff which is electrically operated and can be fitted anywhere along the primary fuel line and shuts off the diesel to the filter. It was very cheap and they do work. My friend had has pickup stolen (petrol) and it only got as far a the carb fuel bowl amount of fuel. So he just walked around the corner and there it was sitting on the side of the road doors unlocked and key lock broken.
With a diesel they will not get as far as that as it will not start. I do recommend fitting one to yours it only requires a switch of some type to operate and that can be hidden anywhere on the vehicle.

Sorry to hijack your posting but My listings do not work any more. I might have been culled.

Thewilsons
15-12-2015, 06:36
My mate has a battery isolator kill switch discreetly hidden under his bonnet, power is still to the alarm system but everything else in the cab is dead, £6.98 on eBay, he showed me a picture of it and I spent 5 minutes under the bonnet, (he had hidden it in a dummy fuse box) trying to find it without success, no internal lights in the van nothing, makes the theif think the battery is completely dead. He also has a wheel clamp and a steering wheel lock, and dummy camera pointing down from the wall of his house.
What more can you do, at best it will deter them completely, at worst it will really slow them down and increase their chances of being seen or caught.

Teutone
15-12-2015, 07:56
So this doesn't affect the central locking on the remote fob in any way? That still works?

This

the central looking is actually the problem as well. If you know which wires run where, you just cut and connect and wooops the doors are open.
There are some loom protectors available to stop the thiev fishing for the wires.

We have some internal deadlocks (HEO) fitted. I was looking for a set of these Ford Transit Deadlock 2000 - 2013 | eBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Transit-Deadlock-2000-2013-/321949568495) but decided againts it.
-- didn't want to cut some large holes in our fairly good condition van
-- can't see how one can stop water getting inside the door (there is a small gap under the lock cover) --> rust around the lock
-- looks butt ugly
-- you can't operate them from the inside, so no good for overnight protection whilst you are in
-- ANOTHER key on the keyring.

But all considered, you don't need the cab doors to get quickly in a motorhome.......

GWAYGWAY
15-12-2015, 08:11
I have moved my OBD port to a different location, but the locks are a good idea.

Another blank OBD port from a scrap vehicle put in the original place might well confuse them into thinking there devices do not work.

Admin
15-12-2015, 10:34

This

yes it works the same.

antiquesam
15-12-2015, 11:31
You have no idea how hard I have tried to get my Transit based van nicked. I've even removed the immobiliser. No one has even tried, but then it is 20 odd years old.

vinner
15-12-2015, 13:55
Hi all, I'm reading this thread with interest as I'm currently considering various ways of preventing my MH being stolen.

For a start, it seems that it would be much easier/cheaper to stop it being driven away as opposed being to broken into. I'm looking for a really easy/cheap way of immobilising the vehicle. The fuel cut-off idea sounds like the sort of thing I'm after, but I'd rather it just didn't start at all. When I mentioned immobilising the vehicle (Fiat) to a friend, he said "you don't need to, because your alarm has an immobiliser" (I have a Thatcham CAT 1). Is that true?

On my old Cortina MkII I utilised a switch that was on the dashboard of every one of those cars. It was the panel-light switch. And everybody always left it down (for ON), so I just wired my ignition through it such that when it was down there was no ignition. To start the car I just flipped it up (the old equivalent of panel lights OFF) to connect my ignition and then start as normal. I also sometimes used to take out the king lead between the distributor and coil and just keep it in my pocket (yes, it was clean) - in fact I once caught someone with the bonnet up trying to work out why it wouldn't start - naturally they scarpered when I ran towards them asking if they needed help!

So is there an easy way to somehow cut off the ignition in a van. Also, would a thief carry on trying to start it if there was a 110db siren going off in the van (another thing I was thinking of fitting).

One last thing - have there been any incidents of gas bottles being nicked? I was thinking of wiring the gas door up to some sort of alarm that could only be disabled from inside the van (obviously I would be careful not to have any 12v switching going on in that vicinity!)

Thanks in advance for any more thoughts about this.

PS I'm also trying to design an alarm that will set off a low-level alarm if someone approaches the van (like within 2 ft of any door) - sort of a preliminary warning to let a person know that 'the van knows someone is near' - thoughts?

Cheers - Vince

paulhelenwilko
15-12-2015, 14:55
Thanks Admin,

It is something I have been meaning to get round to, ever since you told me at Greywell.

So I used your link today and got the locks ordered. they seem to be the highest priority.

Just a thought, if I understand the process correctly the naughty man would use the picks to unlock the drivers door, he can then use this as a template to make a key for the ignition, or can he use the same picks in the ignition ?

If so then installing Hykee locks takes the opportunity away use picks and create a template ?

Paul and Helen.

dr dave
15-12-2015, 16:32
Thanks Admin,

It is something I have been meaning to get round to, ever since you told me at Greywell.

So I used your link today and got the locks ordered. they seem to be the highest priority.

Just a thought, if I understand the process correctly the naughty man would use the picks to unlock the drivers door, he can then use this as a template to make a key for the ignition, or can he use the same picks in the ignition ?

If so then installing Hykee locks takes the opportunity away use picks and create a template ?

Paul and Helen.
If that is the case the fuel cap uses the same key on my mk7 does that mean this needs replacing too or can a key be made using the same process as the door?
Dave

kris
15-12-2015, 17:53
If that is the case the fuel cap uses the same key on my mk7 does that mean this needs replacing too or can a key be made using the same process as the door?
Dave

Have got deadlocks to fit to front/side doors but want a kind of posh "hasp and staple" type for rear doors (will fix it inside with warning on outside of door) as if fixed on outside it is vunerable to a hammer etc.

paulhelenwilko
15-12-2015, 18:15
Dave
That's a good point.

Johnnygm7lsi
15-12-2015, 20:51
Hi all, I'm reading this thread with interest as I'm currently considering various ways of preventing my MH being stolen.

For a start, it seems that it would be much easier/cheaper to stop it being driven away as opposed being to broken into. I'm looking for a really easy/cheap way of immobilising the vehicle. The fuel cut-off idea sounds like the sort of thing I'm after, but I'd rather it just didn't start at all. When I mentioned immobilising the vehicle (Fiat) to a friend, he said "you don't need to, because your alarm has an immobiliser" (I have a Thatcham CAT 1). Is that true?

On my old Cortina MkII I utilised a switch that was on the dashboard of every one of those cars. It was the panel-light switch. And everybody always left it down (for ON), so I just wired my ignition through it such that when it was down there was no ignition. To start the car I just flipped it up (the old equivalent of panel lights OFF) to connect my ignition and then start as normal. I also sometimes used to take out the king lead between the distributor and coil and just keep it in my pocket (yes, it was clean) - in fact I once caught someone with the bonnet up trying to work out why it wouldn't start - naturally they scarpered when I ran towards them asking if they needed help!

So is there an easy way to somehow cut off the ignition in a van. Also, would a thief carry on trying to start it if there was a 110db siren going off in the van (another thing I was thinking of fitting).

One last thing - have there been any incidents of gas bottles being nicked? I was thinking of wiring the gas door up to some sort of alarm that could only be disabled from inside the van (obviously I would be careful not to have any 12v switching going on in that vicinity!)

Thanks in advance for any more thoughts about this.

PS I'm also trying to design an alarm that will set off a low-level alarm if someone approaches the van (like within 2 ft of any door) - sort of a preliminary warning to let a person know that 'the van knows someone is near' - thoughts?

Cheers - Vince

My insurance insisted on a Thatcham Cat1 alarm,

Here’s an explanation of the Thatcham category alarms
Thatcham Category 1 – electronic alarm and immobiliser
Systems that fall into this class are the cleverest and most complex on the market. A Category 1 alarm will feature perimeter and ignition detection, and will incorporate movement or glass break and tilt sensors. There’ll also be a siren powered by its own battery supply that will sound if your car gets broken into.

Immobilisers are also a requirement to pass Category 1 tests and have to be passively set – that means without any action from the driver – while a minimum of two operating systems or one control unit used for normal operation must be isolated.

Hers the rest of the Cat`s What is a Thatcham Category Car Alarm? | RAC (http://www.rac.co.uk/community/blog/rac-blog/june-2013/what-is-a-thatcham-category-car-alarm)

My Hab door is one of those 3 point locks, top middle and bottom, and the previous owners fitted chain links to the inside of the doors so you can fit a ratchet cargo strap between the 2 doors, so even if they get the door unlocked they cant open it, but any desperate thief would just break a window, then again a broken window sets off the alarm.

GWAYGWAY
16-12-2015, 19:43
I only have to worry about the MH being nicked when it is at home,, When we are away the wife never leaves it , just sits and reads, or listens to music.

Admin
16-12-2015, 20:37
Dave

You will still use the original key to start the engine, refuel and open the bonnet.

The point is that the drivers lock also opens the deadlocks and disables the alarm.

James
16-12-2015, 21:09
Following this with interest. I am not going into the details on an open forum, but removing wing mirror and messing with the wires behind it will also open later transits. Its the ones with indicators on the mirrors. It is worth fitting anti tamper bolts.

They have been known to remove mirror and open van, then replace mirror so owner never knows! This way they can keep 'milking the cow' :/

Also on same age trannies, the rear light clusters are vulnerable. They will only unlock rear doors which may be irrelevant on a camper anyway

Hope this helps someone

James

2cv
15-01-2016, 08:04
Seems that some of the stolen vans may have been found Police raid premises in Lancashire over vans stolen in Yorkshire - BBC News (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-35317582)

Teutone
15-01-2016, 08:18
You will still use the original key to start the engine, refuel and open the bonnet.

The point is that the drivers lock also opens the deadlocks and disables the alarm.

Ours is manual locking, so we have looks in BOTH doors. But we have manual deadlocks (HEO) on the inside with a sticker in the window. Wonder how many crooks will know what a HEOSAFE is?

Chris356
16-01-2016, 17:15
This is where they end up

Eight Arrested Following Joint West Yorkshire Police and Lancashire Constabulary Vehicle Theft Operation | West Yorkshire Police (http://www.westyorkshire.police.uk/news/eight-arrested-following-joint-west-yorkshire-police-and-lancashire-constabulary-vehicle-theft-)
Police raid premises in Lancashire over vans stolen in Yorkshire - BBC News (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-35317582)

andromeda
16-01-2016, 17:49
What is an and port please?

TJBi
10-02-2016, 10:01
<snip>

If your van is a Mk6 / Mk7 Transit (2002 - 2014) then you really should upgrade the drivers door lock. It only takes a few seconds to open the drivers door with no damage and the pick decodes the lock and becomes a key for the ignition barrel. Unfortunately these picks are very easy to buy and very cheap.

The lock picks are cheap (£24.95) and easy to use, they can decode the lock and make a temp key in seconds.

When you unlock the drivers door it removes the deadlocks and disables the alarm system.

<snip>
I am showing you this because so many people are having their vans stolen when just changing the door barrel and fitting a steering wheel lock wheel deter most thieves.

Transit 2006 > 2013 Hykee Replacement Cylinder | ProtectAVan (http://www.protectavan.co.uk/vehicles/ford/transit-2006-2013-hykee-replacement-cylinder)

With the new lock fitted the thieves cannot disable the alarm or get the front doors open.

<snip>

Unfortunately, Protectavan's replacement cylinder is only suitable for RHD vehicles, so if you have a Mk6 or Mk7 LHD Transit, this solution will not work.

Tom

QFour
10-02-2016, 10:43
Unfortunately, Protectavan's replacement cylinder is only suitable for RHD vehicles, so if you have a Mk6 or Mk7 LHD Transit, this solution will not work.

Tom

You should be Ok. The idiots that are stealing these MH’s will think that you remove the steering wheel every time you park up :lol-061:

Have a look Ford transit, custom, connect, all years lock upgrades - Garrison Locks (http://www.garrisonlocks.co.uk/best-sellers/ford-transit-hykee-lock-upgrade)

TJBi
10-02-2016, 19:43
You should be Ok. The idiots that are stealing these MH’s will think that you remove the steering wheel every time you park up :lol-061:

Have a look Ford transit, custom, connect, all years lock upgrades - Garrison Locks (http://www.garrisonlocks.co.uk/best-sellers/ford-transit-hykee-lock-upgrade)

Unfortunately not true. Mine was stolen and now I'm looking for ways to protect the replacement that I'm having imported. Thanks for the Garrison link; I actually emailed them this morning to check whether they do a replacement for LHD vehicles and I'm waiting for their reply, but I'm not hopeful as their product is pretty much identical to the one sold by Protectavan.

Tom

TJBi
20-02-2016, 16:51
Unfortunately not true. Mine was stolen and now I'm looking for ways to protect the replacement that I'm having imported. Thanks for the Garrison link; I actually emailed them this morning to check whether they do a replacement for LHD vehicles and I'm waiting for their reply, but I'm not hopeful as their product is pretty much identical to the one sold by Protectavan.

Tom

It would appear that no-one does a replacement lock suitable for LHD Transit Mk6 and Mk7. However, a locksmith has suggested to me that the solution is to remove the barrel, cut off the protruding metal tongue and replace the barrel. This disables the physical lock but the central locking system will still operate with the remote. Can anyone see any disadvantages with this idea?

Tom

jeffscarborough
21-02-2016, 09:12
It would appear that no-one does a replacement lock suitable for LHD Transit Mk6 and Mk7. However, a locksmith has suggested to me that the solution is to remove the barrel, cut off the protruding metal tongue and replace the barrel. This disables the physical lock but the central locking system will still operate with the remote. Can anyone see any disadvantages with this idea?

Tom

The only problem with this idea is when the rechargeable battery in the blue keyfob goes flat when the vehicle hasn't been used for a couple of months (it happened to me).

If you want to disable the lock on the drivers door, half a match stick pushed in works 👍

Teutone
21-02-2016, 09:21

Tom

the central looking seems to be the easy entry for the thieves, some cables cut in the wing mirror and presto door opens. They use the door lock to match the key for the ignition.

TJBi
21-02-2016, 09:40
the central looking seems to be the easy entry for the thieves, some cables cut in the wing mirror and presto door opens. They use the door lock to match the key for the ignition.

It would appear that on the Mk7 the mirror was fitted with shear bolts to overcome this problem.

The only problem with this idea is when the rechargeable battery in the blue keyfob goes flat when the vehicle hasn't been used for a couple of months (it happened to me).

If you want to disable the lock on the drivers door, half a match stick pushed in works

The locksmith who suggested the idea raised that as an issue, but, provided the alarm can be disabled without using the Ford remote, entry via the habitation door should still be possible and I'm guessing that the doors can then be unlocked/relocked from the inside until the keyfob recharges? Anything I've missed?
If you go the matchstick route, how do you extract it in order to use the key? (Feel free to PM me rather than reply in public.)

Tom

trevskoda
21-02-2016, 10:12
No mater what door barrels you use they can be punched out in seconds and the vans away,some here have been lifted with tow trucks and folk next door just think the garage is just taking it away to be fixed when you are away in car shopping,the tea leaves watch you habits & movements so do alter them.

Pugs
01-03-2016, 14:28
Admin, thanks for the heads up, does that affect third party alarm systems fitted into the CANBUS of a van?

Chris356
01-03-2016, 17:26
Admin, thanks for the heads up, does that affect third party alarm systems fitted into the CANBUS of a van?
hi you cant connect an alarm to the canbus on the transit as the can goes to sleep after being locked you could fit a plip upgrade alarm (cat 2 to 1) upgrade but it wont immobilise it your better off fitting a cat1 with its own remote control

Pugs
03-03-2016, 09:22
hi you cant connect an alarm to the canbus on the transit as the can goes to sleep after being locked you could fit a plip upgrade alarm (cat 2 to 1) upgrade but it wont immobilise it your better off fitting a cat1 with its own remote control

Sorry should have been more specific. I'm talking about the Ford Transit Custom model but these are also seeing break-ins without any forced entry. I have an Auto Alarm fitted to the canbus and was wondering if it's actually any good what with low life being able to get master key\lock pick tool from ebay

Admin
03-03-2016, 10:07
My cobra alarm is activated by the deadlock signal wire, this is not controlled from the door. So one lock click activates the ford alarm (which I use at night whilst sleeping in the van) then second lock click activates deadlocks and Cobra alarm.

campertwo
25-05-2017, 20:05
I am sharing this after hearing about a lady in Warwickshire on Facebook who has just had her Chausson 14 stolen. Although the plates may have been changed by now it may be worth looking out for? Thanks.

jeanette
25-05-2017, 23:39
I am sharing this after hearing about a lady in Warwickshire on Facebook who has just had her Chausson 14 stolen. Although the plates may have been changed by now it may be worth looking out for? Thanks.

I shared this a couple of days ago from Facebook

Chris356
30-06-2017, 19:21
I have a hobby transit myself I have just fitted a second tracker
James Smith - Our beloved motorhome was stolen from the... | Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10211607914427276&set=a.10203769501471851.1073741827.1648325693&type=3&theater)

antiquesam
30-06-2017, 19:27
If someone finds these thieves and has an opportunity to speak to them could you please find a way of getting them to come to Portsmouth where there is a '95 based Transit which could be stolen.

jagmanx
30-06-2017, 19:47
If someone finds these thieves and has an opportunity to speak to them could you please find a way of getting them to come to Portsmouth where there is a '95 based Transit which could be stolen.
Not a nice read for those who have had their vehicle stolen...grr.....

antiquesam
30-06-2017, 20:17
Not a nice read for those who have had their vehicle stolen...grr.....

Humour isn't for everyone I suppose.

TJBi
30-06-2017, 22:16
Humour isn't for everyone I suppose.

Absolutely not if they have just had their pride and joy stolen.
It can be a heartbreaking experience.

antiquesam
01-07-2017, 20:16
Absolutely not if they have just had their pride and joy stolen.
It can be a heartbreaking experience.

Humour has got people through every horror of war and devestation, but is inappropriate when someone loses an insured chattel it appears. A sign of the times perhaps.

TJBi
02-07-2017, 11:50
Humour has got people through every horror of war and devestation, but is inappropriate when someone loses an insured chattel it appears. A sign of the times perhaps.

What is the relevance of the motorhome being insured? There are some things that money cannot buy.

helen262
02-07-2017, 13:12
There are going to be second victims of these stolen motorhomes who will lose all their money and that is the buyers of the stolen motorhomes after they have been given false identities.

antiquesam
02-07-2017, 20:09
What is the relevance of the motorhome being insured? There are some things that money cannot buy.

You are correct. Money can't buy life or health, but it can buy a replacement motorhome and all the lost accessories.

TJBi
02-07-2017, 21:33
You are correct. Money can't buy life or health, but it can buy a replacement motorhome and all the lost accessories.

Not true. The accessories are not "lost", they are stolen; moreover, it may not be possible to replace them. Some may no longer be available on the market; others may have had sentimental value. Furthermore, money cannot buy peace of mind.

sasquatch
03-07-2017, 15:10
When my van was stolen in it was over 40years of accumulated equipment,some I made myself nevertheless it was difficult to quantify the value to the insurers. They made a derisery offer for contents which I refused,their explanation was 'wear and tear' not usefulness,I told them to politely place their offer where the sun don't shine!Eventually they upped their offer.which made me resonably happier. Still no compo for the items of personal clothing and gear which they said should be claimed on the house insurance.

antiquesam
03-07-2017, 17:07
Not true. The accessories are not "lost", they are stolen; moreover, it may not be possible to replace them. Some may no longer be available on the market; others may have had sentimental value. Furthermore, money cannot buy peace of mind.

I sincerely belief that you have lost the plot. We are talking about things. Having a motorhome stolen isn't equal to having your child abducted and sold into slavery. I would suggest you get things in perspective. It was a joke that started your tirade unbelievably.

Alf
03-07-2017, 17:10
A ill timed and sick joke maybe PM your address and Greg and I will get the pikeys to call

Alf

I sincerely belief that you have lost the plot. We are talking about things. Having a motorhome stolen isn't equal to having your child abducted and sold into slavery. I would suggest you get things in perspective. It was a joke that started your tirade unbelievably.

antiquesam
03-07-2017, 18:18
A ill timed and sick joke maybe PM your address and Greg and I will get the pikeys to call

Alf

My van is 24 years old. you would be better getting the scrappy to call. Sorry if this is another sick joke.

TJBi
03-07-2017, 20:27

Yes, you are talking about insured things. But you didn't experience the effect on my late wife of the theft of our motorhome and contents, some of which were not replaceable.

suneye
15-07-2017, 11:30
Wouldn't this do the same thing?

GJ LOCKS Pick for Hykee Cylinder and Slam Lock (https://www.aldridgesecurity.co.uk/p-10122-gj-locks-pick-for-hykee-cylinder-and-slam-lock.aspx)

yorkshireCPLE
15-07-2017, 12:02
I've just fitted one of these, Fine for when it's parked up at home or on a site with electric. It also has an internal battery so if the thieves unplug from the mains it will still work and also texts you to say that power is off, but the alarm is still working. It's fairly loud too so will wake you.

I am hoping to find a 12volt lead that will fit to run this while wilding too, but not sure yet which one will do the job. If needed to through the day you could always plug in a small inverter to keep it on when you leave the van.

So if they pick my lock and open the door the IR sensor triggers it, then i have door triggers to. Plus my disclock on the steering wheel...

Anyway here is the link to the alarm. Very easy to fit and does what you want it to...
KKmoon LCD Wireless GSM SMS Home Burglar Security Alarm System Detector Sensor Kit Remote Control 433MHz; Mobile SMS GSM Autodial Home House Burglar Intruder Alarm: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools (https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/9kh/KKmoon-Wireless-Home-Security-Detector-Autodial-Intruder/B01DJA39Q4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1500119907&sr=8-1&keywords=kkmoon+alarm)

Hopefully the noise will make the buggers run off or at least get some attention...

Chris356
15-07-2017, 12:35
[QUOTE=yorkshireCPLE;843620]I've just fitted one of these, Fine for when it's parked up at home or on a site with electric. It also has an internal battery so if the thieves unplug from the mains it will still work and also texts you to say that power is off, but the alarm is still working. It's fairly loud too so will wake you.

I am hoping to find a 12volt lead that will fit to run this while wilding too, but not sure yet which one will do the job. If needed to through the day you could always plug in a small inverter to keep it on when you leave the van.

So if they pick my lock and open the door the IR sensor triggers it, then i have door triggers to. Plus my disclock on the steering wheel...

Anyway here is the link to the alarm. Very easy to fit and does what you want it to...
KKmoon LCD Wireless GSM SMS Home Burglar Security Alarm System Detector Sensor Kit Remote Control 433MHz; Mobile SMS GSM Autodial Home House Burglar Intruder Alarm: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools (https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/9kh/KKmoon-Wireless-Home-Security-Detector-Autodial-Intruder/B01DJA39Q4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1500119907&sr=8-1&keywords=kkmoon+alarm)

Hopefully the noise will make the buggers run off or at least get some attention...[/QUOTE
Just chop the plug off and connect it to 12v supply

TJBi
15-07-2017, 12:44
Wouldn't this do the same thing?

GJ LOCKS Pick for Hykee Cylinder and Slam Lock (https://www.aldridgesecurity.co.uk/p-10122-gj-locks-pick-for-hykee-cylinder-and-slam-lock.aspx)

Looks as though it may. In which case, the solution may be deadlocks inside the cab doors and enter and exit via the habitation door.

Tom

Alf
15-07-2017, 13:04
Not so simple the plug will feed a
Mains transformer feeding the 12v internal battery.

Alf

[QUOTE=yorkshireCPLE;843620]I've just fitted one of these, Fine for when it's parked up at home or on a site with electric. It also has an internal battery so if the thieves unplug from the mains it will still work and also texts you to say that power is off, but the alarm is still working. It's fairly loud too so will wake you.

Hopefully the noise will make the buggers run off or at least get some attention...[/QUOTE
Just chop the plug off and connect it to 12v supply

Chris356
15-07-2017, 13:47
I fitted same one to my mates the transformer is combined into the plug

hextal
15-07-2017, 13:59
I fitted same one to my mates the transformer is combined into the plug

Wot he sed.

Got the same, just needed to test which was the positive and negative on the round plug that connects to the alarm unit then hard wired it to the domestic batteries. Ran it through a voltage regulator but I'm not convinced that wasn't overkill.

Been working merrily for the last few years.

yorkshireCPLE
15-07-2017, 14:15
Wot he sed.

Got the same, just needed to test which was the positive and negative on the round plug that connects to the alarm unit then hard wired it to the domestic batteries. Ran it through a voltage regulator but I'm not convinced that wasn't overkill.

Been working merrily for the last few years.

Was it easy to find the + & - and what size inline fuse would be best to use? How was it for battery draining?

Cheers Carl.

suneye
15-07-2017, 14:56
Looks as though it may. In which case, the solution may be deadlocks inside the cab doors and enter and exit via the habitation door.

Tom

Cant get from the cab to the back in our van.

spigot
16-07-2017, 12:40
Looks as though it may. In which case, the solution may be deadlocks inside the cab doors and enter and exit via the habitation door.Tom

Exactly what I've have, they're expensive but foolproof, anyway don't understand all that electronic stuff.

It is important to remember to unlock the cab doors from the outside before driving off in the morning, one could be in deep shite if involved in an accident!

Couple of years ago some numpty tried to "screwdriver" the O/S van door lock with a deadlock staring him in the face, in Bournemouth of all places. There are some dodos about.

http://i1214.photobucket.com/albums/cc490/mikemelson/Security/P1020885_zpspkl5zpbn.jpg (http://s1214.photobucket.com/user/mikemelson/media/Security/P1020885_zpspkl5zpbn.jpg.html)

http://i1214.photobucket.com/albums/cc490/mikemelson/Security/P1020887_zps7waxv0mg.jpg (http://s1214.photobucket.com/user/mikemelson/media/Security/P1020887_zps7waxv0mg.jpg.html)

Chris356
16-07-2017, 16:50
Diablocks do electronic dead bolts
Why choose Diablocks Evo? (http://www.diablocks.com/en)

Rickraw1
06-08-2017, 16:08

Jeff.
Thanks Jeff. Will be useful to see for anyone else that has any of those vulnerable vehicles too. I've only ever had one vehicle stolen before and that was a Mark 1 Escort Van that I could never start up myself. I wanted to find out who had stolen and find out how they got it to fire up.

bedonwheels
03-10-2017, 23:41
I still remember the feeling that I had when I noticed that the drivers door on my motorhome was wide open. As I approached it I noticed that the panel below the steering wheel had been removed. I was lucky The fuse for my OBD port had blown and the thieves could not disable the immobiliser, otherwise my motorhome would have been gone.

Since then reports of Transit motorhomes being stolen seem to be increasing, and the reason for this is because they are so easy to steal!

Next the thieves just need to plug a key programmer into to OBD port and 15 seconds later the immobiliser is useless.

The DiskLok makes the vehicle a lot more hassle to steal, and drilling off this lock will certainly not be quiet.

Please share this thread and lets hope we can stop this happening to more motorhomers.

------- UPDATE ------

Just for those people who feel that they will be able to track their vehicles if stolen, unfortunately not. From what I understand these professional thieves also carry a cellular / GPS jammer and an RF sniffer.

Portable Cellphone + Wifi Jammer J-240A-Pro [J-240A-Pro] - £179.00 : jammer4u.co.uk (http://www.jammer4uk.com/portable-cellphone-wifi-jammer-j240apro-p-11.html)

Once the vehicle is safely away they then sniffer out the tracker and disable it.

Looking at the video what a shame the Rozzers we heard screamed on by at speed didn't know there was a 'how to' on vehicle theft film being made.... an even bigger pity that the car in question hadn't been so wired that the demonstrator Johnny Foreigner saw his device go up in smoke.... I loathe these scumbags with a burning passion, we all work so hard for a few treasures that this shite believe is their right to take from us... going to take a chill pill now....

sak
04-10-2017, 07:33
Ford are recalling the transit from 2014 to reprogram the body control module so the rear of the van doesn't unlock from the drivers door lock, only really any use to panel van conversions with a bulkhead fitted or work vehicles.

sasquatch
04-10-2017, 09:11
Ford are recalling the transit from 2014 to reprogram the body control module so the rear of the van doesn't unlock from the drivers door lock, only really any use to panel van conversions with a bulkhead fitted or work vehicles.

Too little too late!

sak
04-10-2017, 10:33
Too little too late!
I couldn't agree more, Ford & the companies responsible for selling lock picking tools should be held accountable for being irresponsible and pay compensation to owners who have lost out financially & for the obvious suffering caused. Any solicitors on here ?

mistericeman
04-10-2017, 10:53
I couldn't agree more, Ford & the companies responsible for selling lock picking tools should be held accountable for being irresponsible and pay compensation to owners who have lost out financially & for the obvious suffering caused. Any solicitors on here ?

Are you going to be going after shops that sell screw drivers that are used to lever the lock barrels out too...
OR the purveyors of bits of wood used to lever door tops out before they are 'peeled'
Bits of stone lying around used to break windows....

Everytime a manufacturer comes up with security improvements the scrotes out there soon come out with a way of beating it... nature of the loverly world we live in sadly.

Rather than searching for someone to sue...
energy is far better spent treating manufacturers security as a base level... suitable only for stopping the most basic of opportunist thief.
Real security lies with yourself coming up with layers of awkwardness,
enough for your ner do well to roll on by and look at someone else's easier target.

grath
04-10-2017, 11:03
Are you going to be going after shops that sell screw drivers that are used to lever the lock barrels out too...
OR the purveyors of bits of wood used to lever door tops out before they are 'peeled'

Everytime a manufacturer comes up with security improvements the scrotes out there soon come out with a way of beating it... nature of the loverly world we live in sadly.

energy is far better spent treating manufacturers security as a base level... suitable only for stopping the most basic of opportunist thief.
enough for your ner do well to roll on by and look at someone else's easier target.

I agree, and if I liked a van on a Transit Chassis as our previous Hymer Exsis was, I would not be put off by all this negativeness. Just put a few extra locks on and the thief will move to an easier target, and if they really wanted a particular vehicle, they would get it!

Private
04-10-2017, 11:17
Our door was crow barred off , not much is going to stop that !
Best security is a loud alarm it woke me up in France to find someone inside with a head torch on and when they crow barred the door off in the uk it was the alarm that scared them off .
With today's cordless tools any security is only fooling the owners.

I use a reversing sensor for alerting me as soon as anyone comes near the van.
Saves the repair bills and the shock of finding a stranger inside the van.

Deleted user 21925
04-10-2017, 11:29
I have a remote alarm which goes off in the house if the sensor in the van is triggered.

That way, the alarm would be going off when they gained entry, and they would still have to get the Disklok off, giving us plenty of time to get out there.

I also have a pedal lock, but it only fits on the brake pedal at the moment until I modify it, and I keep forgetting it is fitted until I am half way off the drive and can't use the brake, which is not good really!

maingate
04-10-2017, 11:30
I use a reversing sensor for alerting me as soon as anyone comes near the van.
Saves the repair bills and the shock of finding a stranger inside the van.

Agreed. I was going to suggest this on the other thread where the OP is asking for technical help to secure his doors and windows. Unfortunately it would have been ignored as the OP has a mindset for something much more high tech.

tranivanman
05-10-2017, 10:30
I have a remote alarm which goes off in the house if the sensor in the van is triggered.

That way, the alarm would be going off when they gained entry, and they would still have to get the Disklok off, giving us plenty of time to get out there.

I also have a pedal lock, but it only fits on the brake pedal at the moment until I modify it, and I keep forgetting it is fitted until I am half way off the drive and can't use the brake, which is not good really!

I too have a Pedal lock which I use( when i remember) on the clutch pedal, thinking of getting another so I can lock the clutch and the brake pedal.
I did post on this thread earlier that I have also moved my OBD ports on my three transit vans in the hope that if they get in they cant find where to plug their devise in so they b-gger off.

tranivanman

Deleted user 21925
05-10-2017, 10:52
I too have a Pedal lock which I use( when i remember) on the clutch pedal, thinking of getting another so I can lock the clutch and the brake pedal.
I did post on this thread earlier that I have also moved my OBD ports on my three transit vans in the hope that if they get in they cant find where to plug their devise in so they b-gger off.

tranivanman

The problem I have with mine, is that the clutch and accelerator pedal arms are box section which is too wide for the lock, whilst the brake pedal arm is flat section.

What I might do is bolt and loctite another bar through the device so that when I attach it to the brake pedal the bar runs under the accelerator and clutch pedals and so stops all 3 being used. (Sorry, not very well explained!).

Anything to slow the scumbags down really.

The laird
05-10-2017, 11:10
The problem I have with mine, is that the clutch and accelerator pedal arms are box section which is too wide for the lock, whilst the brake pedal arm is flat section.

What I might do is bolt and loctite another bar through the device so that when I attach it to the brake pedal the bar runs under the accelerator and clutch pedals and so stops all 3 being used. (Sorry, not very well explained!).

Anything to slow the scumbags down really.

Drill holes through brake and clutch pedals,heavy bar with two lugs welded on,lugs have holes in them ,padlock lugs to pedal ,remaining length of bar shaped to go under throttle pedal ,just a thought rob ,might it work?

Deleted user 21925
05-10-2017, 11:51
Drill holes through brake and clutch pedals,heavy bar with two lugs welded on,lugs have holes in them ,padlock lugs to pedal ,remaining length of bar shaped to go under throttle pedal ,just a thought rob ,might it work?

I hadn't thought of drilling the box section Gordon, not a bad idea.

I'll give it some thought.

sasquatch
05-10-2017, 12:19
I agree, and if I liked a van on a Transit Chassis as our previous Hymer Exsis was, I would not be put off by all this negativeness. Just put a few extra locks on and the thief will move to an easier target, and if they really wanted a particular vehicle, they would get it!

When mine was stolen I was advised,in future, not to rely on electronic protection but to use mechanical devices as well. I now have 3 methods of this protection AND an alarm,it may not prevent them getting in but it will delay them and even make them think twice about attempting it.

sak
05-10-2017, 13:27

So selling lock picking tools on Amazon & Ebay is ok by you ?

mistericeman
05-10-2017, 14:15
So selling lock picking tools on Amazon & Ebay is ok by you ?

You'll never stop that happening.... even if you banned eBay amazon etc the knowledge is already out there...

The bulk of scrotes out there won't even bother picking the lock... it'll just get screw drivered or twisted out of the door skin or the door peeled....

Even top end stuff with the best immobiliser in the world isn't safe... they already know how to get into it weeks if not months after a vehicle has been launched (frankly I suspect a lot of the info comes from inside the motor trade/manufacturers)

The only way to keep your motorhome/car/landrover etc is layers of physical security to make it far too much of a pfaff for them to bother with yours and head off and look for an easier target...
BUT at the end of the day if THEY want it...
it WILL dissappear...
not nice BUT that's the world we live in.

John Thompson
05-10-2017, 17:00
I used one of these Clutch Claw in-car security device - NK Group (https://www.nkgroup.co.uk/product/clutch-claw-in-car-security-device/)

I also used a Truck Club to the steering wheel. Amazon.com: The Club 1000 Original Club Steering Wheel Lock, Red: Automotive (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000CBILL/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B0000CBILL&linkCode=as2&tag=aseli0b-20&linkId=L5MMZ4V6G4P26APJ)

That was the visible deterrent and the clutch claw made it harder if they were serious.

mistericeman
05-10-2017, 17:49
I used one of these Clutch Claw in-car security device - NK Group (https://www.nkgroup.co.uk/product/clutch-claw-in-car-security-device/)

I also used a Truck Club to the steering wheel. Amazon.com: The Club 1000 Original Club Steering Wheel Lock, Red: Automotive (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000CBILL/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B0000CBILL&linkCode=as2&tag=aseli0b-20&linkId=L5MMZ4V6G4P26APJ)

That was the visible deterrent and the clutch claw made it harder if they were serious.

Sadly the single bar type steering locks are almost useless other than as decoration...
It takes seconds to cut the wheel rim and remove (often after using it as leverage to break the column lock)

Disklok fully enclosing the wheel makes it far far harder.

Greenid
09-11-2017, 10:07
Hi all

Yes, the sickening feeling of waking up and discovering that your van has gone - taken in the early hours of this morning. All keys in the locked house - no sign of damage. Immobiliser, crook locked. Looks like a professional outfit stealing to order. They can code keys and low load away. I've just finished the first round of police and insurance. No doubt it will be a lengthy process.

Look after your stuff, take the utmost security precautions. However if these thieves really want it they will take it.

Greenid

The laird
09-11-2017, 21:37
Hi all

Yes, the sickening feeling of waking up and discovering that your van has gone - taken in the early hours of this morning. All keys in the locked house - no sign of damage. Immobiliser, crook locked. Looks like a professional outfit stealing to order. They can code keys and low load away. I've just finished the first round of police and insurance. No doubt it will be a lengthy process.

Look after your stuff, take the utmost security precautions. However if these thieves really want it they will take it.

Greenid

Sorry to read this ,don’t know if you want it back after the scum bags have had it.hope it works out to your satisfaction.

jeanette
09-11-2017, 23:37
Sorry to read that the toerags strike again

yorkshireCPLE
10-11-2017, 05:57
We have now decided to go full time into our van. So if any SCUM BAGS want to nick our it they will have a shock as we are in the top bunk. So now if they check it out they'll hear the growl of a snoring bear inside (I keep telling the wife she'll wake the neighbours). But at least they will know it's not vacant to steal.. We have left our lads in the house as they're in there 20's so we are away more than at home now. We got sick of emptying everything out only to reload a couple of days later. So now we live in the van only popping in the house to make a meal for us all and grab a shower etc on the odd day we're there..

It's great and I sleep better now knowing that the van is much safer....

I feel for all those that have lost there pride and joy. Keep them safe, rent your house out and live in ya vans....

John Thompson
10-11-2017, 07:09
We have now decided to go full time into our van. So if any SCUM BAGS want to nick our it they will have a shock as we are in the top bunk. So now if they check it out they'll hear the growl of a snoring bear inside (I keep telling the wife she'll wake the neighbours). But at least they will know it's not vacant to steal.. We have left our lads in the house as they're in there 20's so we are away more than at home now. We got sick of emptying everything out only to reload a couple of days later. So now we live in the van only popping in the house to make a meal for us all and grab a shower etc on the odd day we're there..

I feel for all those that have lost there pride and joy. Keep them safe, rent your house out and live in ya vans....

We did exactly the same thing but in our case we were emptying the house and selling off the contents including at at car boot sales. It took us 3 months so we were well used to the van before setting off. 8 years later Joan decided she wanted to settle down again and we came back to Darlington. I also slept well in our van and 18 months later I still haven't got used to the bed in the flat.

She has settled in Bricks and Mortar but I still have the longing to be heading off again.

helen262
10-11-2017, 08:17

You still need to make sure it is secure when out walking etc, as a lady in Huddersfield was full timing in hers, she took the dog for a walk and when she returned 30 mins later her motorhome/ home and all her possessions were gone, leaving her homeless.

yorkshireCPLE
10-11-2017, 13:53
You still need to make sure it is secure when out walking etc, as a lady in Huddersfield was full timing in hers, she took the dog for a walk and when she returned 30 mins later her motorhome/ home and all her possessions were gone, leaving her homeless.

They just make you sick. We put a disc lock on the steering wheel, but if they want it that wont stop them.. I am always nervous when leaving it. Sad world when we think like this..

Beerbiker21
07-01-2018, 13:48

Hi

I too have just had my Transit based moho nicked....could I ask you when yours was taken? I am interested because you said "Since then etc" so I am wondering how long this has been going on

Thanks in advance

Admin
07-01-2018, 14:00
Hi

I too have just had my Transit based moho nicked....could I ask you when yours was taken? I am interested because you said "Since then etc" so I am wondering how long this has been going on

Thanks in advance
it was in 2014.

sasquatch
07-01-2018, 20:13
My Transit based Hymer A class was stolen in 2016 in June early hours of the morning,I still had both sets of keys but they managed to jam the tracker my insurers insisted I have fitted-still miss it!

Mrs Mossy
13-02-2018, 10:00
hil when you added Tracker advise

(Portable Cellphone + Wifi Jammer J-240A-Pro [J-240A-Pro] - £179.00 : jammer4u.co.uk

Once the vehicle is safely away they then sniffer out the tracker and disable it.)

Why do some insurance companies insist you have a tracker fitted before hey will insure you

Mrs Mossy
13-02-2018, 10:11
Phil when you added ------- UPDATE ------

Portable Cellphone + Wifi Jammer J-240A-Pro [J-240A-Pro] - £179.00 : jammer4u.co.uk

on your topic

Why do insurers insist on you have a tracker fitted before they will insure you

Frances
28-02-2018, 15:11
The thieves had a go at our motorhome last week. We were parked in an NEC Birmingham carpark at the motorhome show. I think we have had a lucky escape. The key they were using (as shown in Phil's first post) broke in the lock. They had got into the van but took nothing. Must have just given up when their device broke. We didn't even realise we had been broken into at first and were trying to figure out where the panel under the steering wheel had fallen from. Still cost us a lot for repairs; lots of stress and inconvenience, and has upset the elderly lady we were intending to visit while in the area. I think her disappointment annoys most.

hairydog
28-02-2018, 15:51
Why do insurers insist on you have a tracker fitted before they will insure youBecause it is better than not having one, and the jammers are not as good as they claim.

mistericeman
28-02-2018, 16:04
Because it is better than not having one, and the jammers are not as good as they claim.

Neither are the trackers OR for that matter the high security lock kits that replace the original locks....

The picks for them are just a bit more expensive than the old Tibbe ones...

st3v3
28-02-2018, 16:07
All of this security stuff is just about making yours look less attractive than someone else's!

mistericeman
28-02-2018, 16:13
All of this security stuff is just about making yours look less attractive than someone else's!

AND that is the nail hit square on the head....
The last thing any scroaty type wants is to have to spend time, noise and effort....
IF yours LOOKS harder and, noisier to nick than another down the road...
There's a good chance they will Jog on by.... At least for now.

TJBi
28-02-2018, 16:39
The thieves had a go at our motorhome last week. We were parked in an NEC Birmingham carpark at the motorhome show. I think we have had a lucky escape. The key they were using (as shown in Phil's first post) broke in the lock. They had got into the van but took nothing. Must have just given up when their device broke. We didn't even realise we had been broken into at first and were trying to figure out where the panel under the steering wheel had fallen from. Still cost us a lot for repairs; lots of stress and inconvenience, and has upset the elderly lady we were intending to visit while in the area. I think her disappointment annoys most.

Sorry to hear about the stress and inconvenience, but at least you still have your pride and joy! Do ensure that you follow the various security recommendations (bearing in mind that the Hykee replacement cylinder is not suitable for LHD, so cab door deadlocks are required) and if you have an alarm system it needs to be independent of the Ford central locking, because otherwise it is disarmed when opening the doors with a lock pick.

Tom

mistericeman
28-02-2018, 17:25
Surprisingly after chatting with one of the main motorhome alarm companies visible security actually achieves nothing other than more damage being done when you are broken into, both times I have had motorhomes broken into it has been the alarm that scares them off .

So a company that sells alarms and NOT physical security advises that alarms are best.....

Call me cynical BUT......

grath
28-02-2018, 17:36
We have been deciding what to do.
Do we fit a (roughly) £1000 Growler and £400/£600 of extra door locks, including garage doors etc. or do we do without the alarm or the extra security locks.
For now, we also think, if we only have one, the alarm is the better, but we will have visible signs on every window, just as we have before.
Previously we have had both.
If they want to get in, they will, but with luck, they will move to an easier target!

grath
28-02-2018, 18:30
What really amazes me is the number of people who add extra security that they use whilst in their motorhome at night ?
I want to be able to get out in seconds from any door or window and having seen the effects of house fires those that say they can still get out quickly are living in cloud cuckoo land .

Hey Charlie, I tend to agree with you, but from my own perspective, we use the security for when we are away from the van.
Hardly ever put it on when we are inside, maybe when we first had a van, but honestly, I can't remember the last time we set the alarm when we were inside.

st3v3
28-02-2018, 18:58
I think the best thing is to make sure it's difficult to steal (disklock etc. ) and leave the doors open. Have a cheap easy break open safe somewhere obvious with 20 quid and a cheap phone in it, and a good one well hidden for everything else. Remember no-one wants your expensive crockery, sheets, EHU cable etc. Only stuff they can sell quick for a few quid.

Am I brave enough to actually do this?

Working on it.

The thing I haven't yet come to terms with is finding a stinking homeless drunk in my bed and having to turf him out... And finding the contents of the van thrown around everywhere. That would be a bit of a nightmare.

grath
28-02-2018, 19:17
I have been woken up in the night by the alarm to find a guy wearing a headtorch making a rapid getaway with my trousers and 8 year old daughters DVD bag .
Alarm definitely scared him off and no gassing was involved !
Maybe I should put the alarm on at night and leave the doors open!
Not so silly!

hairydog
28-02-2018, 19:29
A large, noisy and protective dog is a particularly good deterrent. One weekend a few years back, ours was the only motorhome not broken into in a town centre car park. It was the only one with a large dog in it.

Abiteachuck
28-02-2018, 19:31
Best alarm when inside at night, my 2 x 30kg HWV, not to be messed with after dark, and if they cant run 100m in 10sec the dogs will do it in 6 sec. game over.:danger:
x

grath
28-02-2018, 19:37
A large, noisy and protective dog is a particularly good deterrent. One weekend a few years back, ours was the only motorhome not broken into in a town centre car park. It was the only one with a large dog in it.
Agree, that does work, a few years ago, we used to take our Daughters largish black dog with us and we always felt that our van was safe!

TonyBrown1948
27-01-2019, 10:41

------- UPDATE ------

Thanks for taking the time to post this information. I have an insurance rated steering wheel lock, and will be getting some deadlocks on the doors. Hopefully that should deter most thieves! Thanks again.

QFour
26-02-2019, 16:25
You can also put a lock on the OB2 Port which stops them programming the key or cut the power wire to the CanBus port and put a switch in place. This can be hidden as the only time the OB2 port is needed is during a service

GreggBear
26-02-2019, 19:13
hil when you added Tracker advise

(Portable Cellphone + Wifi Jammer J-240A-Pro [J-240A-Pro] - £179.00 : jammer4u.co.uk

Once the vehicle is safely away they then sniffer out the tracker and disable it.)

Why do some insurance companies insist you have a tracker fitted before hey will insure you

Just another get out clause! If the dirty scumbags want it they will take end of story. It should be illegal to sell/manufacture/own these jammers & security overriding devices etc. Wouldn't stop scumbags from having em but would at least give police etc powers to act when they are caught.
My advice, buy a Rottweiler, chain it to the drivers seat & call it Padlock!...

mistericeman
26-02-2019, 19:33
Just another get out clause! If the dirty scumbags want it they will take end of story. It should be illegal to sell/manufacture/own these jammers & security overriding devices etc. Wouldn't stop scumbags from having em but would at least give police etc powers to act when they are caught.
My advice, buy a Rottweiler, chain it to the drivers seat & call it Padlock!...

Trouble is your average scrote won't blink an eye at using poisoned meat....
Frankly I'd rather lose the vehicle....

It's an arse of a situation that means one firm is selling upgraded locks, trackers etc and several others are selling products to defeat them....
Tibbe lock picks/Hykee lock picks/jammer for trackers etc BUT

Bear mind even the major manufacturers struggle with security (built to a price by the bean counters etc)

Layers layers layers IS frankly the only hope...
Make YOUR vehicle less attractive than the next nearby one

PHYSICAL deterrents...
Re enforced diskloks
Pedal boxes
Electrical cut offs
Fuel cut offs
Alarms
Cameras
Etc etc etc....

More awkward it is, to remove
More time it takes
More visible
More noise

More likely it is you'll keep hold of it.

hairydog
26-02-2019, 22:20
More awkward it is, to remove
More time it takes
More visible
More noise

More likely it is you'll keep hold of it.And the more inconvenience it will cause you on a daily basis.

As a friend said, as he left his satnav on the windscreen: "I don't want to be a victim of crime every trip, just when there are thieves about". And his truck was broken into less than once every two years. It was never stolen.

I had a motorhome stolen. Its replacement had a Tracker (the real Tracker tracker) fitted. It was never stolen, but the tracker caused several breakdowns.

I would only bother with security that cause me no bother.

Post, chains, locks, clamps? Nah! Too much hassle.

TJBi
27-02-2019, 06:29
And the more inconvenience it will cause you on a daily basis.

As a friend said, as he left his satnav on the windscreen: "I don't want to be a victim of crime every trip, just when there are thieves about". And his truck was broken into less than once every two years. It was never stolen.

I had a motorhome stolen. Its replacement had a Tracker (the real Tracker tracker) fitted. It was never stolen, but the tracker caused several breakdowns.

I would only bother with security that cause me no bother.

Post, chains, locks, clamps? Nah! Too much hassle.

Layers!
Some may be required at all times by insurers, others can be brought into play or not according to perceived level of threat and level of use.
Post, chains, clamps not a lot of hassle if not using the Moho for a month.

hairydog
27-02-2019, 10:52
Post, chains, clamps not a lot of hassle if not using the Moho for a month.If you use it that little, maybe a thief would be better taking it off your hands? ;-)

mistericeman
27-02-2019, 11:02
Personally I'd rather the inconvenience of using anti theft devices than the inconvenience and cost of having mine going missing BUT each to their own I guess.

TJBi
28-02-2019, 07:07
If you use it that little, maybe a thief would be better taking it off your hands? ;-)

Having, a few years ago, had one "taken off my hands" within some 90 to 150 minutes of parking it, I find your remark to be in singularly bad taste.

hairydog
28-02-2019, 08:25
Personally I'd rather the inconvenience of using anti theft devices than the inconvenience and cost of having mine going missing BUT each to their own I guess.

Some anti theft devices are no inconvenience at art. Others are a huge hassle.

hairydog
28-02-2019, 08:29
Having, a few years ago, had one "taken off my hands" within some 90 to 150 minutes of parking it, I find your remark to be in singularly bad taste.

I've had a very special, irreplacable motorhome stolen with years of accumulated children's toys, favourite things, irreplaceable photos as well as "valuables" from using g the van regularly for many years. What is in bad taste is letting them steal your sense of humour as well.

Admin
28-02-2019, 21:23
I've had a very special, irreplacable motorhome stolen with years of accumulated children's toys, favourite things, irreplaceable photos as well as "valuables" from using g the van regularly for many years. What is in bad taste is letting them steal your sense of humour as well.

Sorry but I am getting to the end of my tolerance. It seems that every reported post is because you want to be abrasive with other members. If you have no respect for this community then I will remove your posting rights.

You are such a clever man and can be so helpful when you want too, please can we have more of nice hairydog?

mistericeman
28-02-2019, 21:42
As I've posted previously a modified disklok is worth it's weight in gold....

They are pretty difficult to remove in standard form BUT a bit of time with a welder and they really are a highly visible deterrent.

Not overly difficult to use BUT really unappealing to deal with without power tools AND the associated noise.

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l72/spellcaster69/16120711/Screenshot_20180325-105912.jpg (http://s93.photobucket.com/user/spellcaster69/media/16120711/Screenshot_20180325-105912.jpg.html)
http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l72/spellcaster69/16120711/disklokmod1.jpg (http://s93.photobucket.com/user/spellcaster69/media/16120711/disklokmod1.jpg.html)
http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l72/spellcaster69/16120711/0E4881B8-AE13-4A20-877F-908373E753E0_zpstwezytuh.jpg (http://s93.photobucket.com/user/spellcaster69/media/16120711/0E4881B8-AE13-4A20-877F-908373E753E0_zpstwezytuh.jpg.html)
http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l72/spellcaster69/16120711/FB_IMG_1528013173574.jpg (http://s93.photobucket.com/user/spellcaster69/media/16120711/FB_IMG_1528013173574.jpg.html)
http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l72/spellcaster69/16120711/IMG_20161205_101124.jpg (http://s93.photobucket.com/user/spellcaster69/media/16120711/IMG_20161205_101124.jpg.html)
http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l72/spellcaster69/16120711/post-3738-0-77893400-1465901752.jpeg (http://s93.photobucket.com/user/spellcaster69/media/16120711/post-3738-0-77893400-1465901752.jpeg.html)
http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l72/spellcaster69/16120711/IMG_20161205_115326_1.jpg (http://s93.photobucket.com/user/spellcaster69/media/16120711/IMG_20161205_115326_1.jpg.html)

I still stand by my earlier layers layers layers approach to vehicle security....
Layers cost scroaty types time AND effort.... Both of which they detest.

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS