PDA

View Full Version : telly in the old days

n brown
07-01-2016, 20:14

oldish hippy
07-01-2016, 20:50
they would give you a hernia trying to lift one and the bamboo cane remote as you only had few channels lol unless you had reddifusion and you had a rotary switch on the wallby a window and dads chair was next to it

jennyp19
07-01-2016, 21:38
At least you had to excercise getting up and down and walking across to change channel when you didn't have a remote 😀

meggypeggy
08-01-2016, 07:04
I used to rent one from radio rentals when I first left home. I remember thinking it was the bees knees :banana:

time4t
08-01-2016, 08:49
I can sill remember the day we got our first colour tv, I was watching either Prince Valiant or, The Singing Sword.
It was a magical moment to see a black & white image, become a colour one!!

Phill

Obanboy666
08-01-2016, 09:42
My father was a manager in a department selling household goods and we were the first in the street to get a colour tv.
It was massive, took 3 of them to carry it in. How things have changed.

n brown
08-01-2016, 11:01
we were convinced the tanner-in-the-slot tv we had was designed to run out at the crucial part of the play or film.
i also remember walking round the room and climbing on furniture with the aerial held aloft,trying to get rid of the ''snow''

Deleted user 21925
08-01-2016, 11:13
we were convinced the tanner-in-the-slot tv we had was designed to run out at the crucial part of the play or film.
i also remember walking round the room and climbing on furniture with the aerial held aloft,trying to get rid of the ''snow''

I thought Jon Snow was pretty good. Old school.

Wot you got against him?

molly 2
08-01-2016, 11:50
Can anyone remember the price of the fist colour ,so expensive that people rented them .

carol
08-01-2016, 13:48
They used to break down much more than they do now. I worked at Bairds tv in Bradford, first assembling panels and then on the final testing line. I had to adjust the colour so that it produced a horizontal white line across the screen...boring, but I got time off as I was a shop steward. Fun days when I look back but then again most things are fun in your twenties!

sasquatch
08-01-2016, 14:20
We had a 26" B&W tv with an extra UHF tuner on the side for BBC 2. Later I worked in Manchester and was lucky to see the colour TV system,when I returned home I rented a colour set from DER.Just as well as the CRT kept blowing,replaced for free and eventually they swapped sets.

oldish hippy
08-01-2016, 18:41
TV Set Prices (http://www.tvhistory.tv/tv-prices.htm) once again google to the rescue lol

antiquesam
09-01-2016, 06:10
My first job on leaving uni was a trainee manager at Currys (when they had real shops in the High St.). Colour tv's were in short supply and the commission on one was 3.00 so fights would break out between salesmen trying to get to anyone going near that section.

campervanannie
09-01-2016, 06:46
We had the only colour TV in our street and when England played in the world cup half the neighbourhood was in our lounge to watch it in colour us kids were relegated to refreshment runners and washing all the pots up after.

Telstar
09-01-2016, 07:11
I remember our family having a couloir tv, about the size screen of a portable and its channel buttons were touch sensitive. So sensitive that if a fly moved up them it changed the channels.

Them were the days.

Jon

campervanannie
09-01-2016, 14:23
They used to break down much more than they do now. I worked at Bairds tv in Bradford, first assembling panels and then on the final testing line. I had to adjust the colour so that it produced a horizontal white line across the screen...boring, but I got time off as I was a shop steward. Fun days when I look back but then again most things are fun in your twenties!

Ha ha what year was that I worked there for 3 days in the early 70s hated it went home crying to my mum and Dad begging them not to make me work there the older women that worked there hard as nails and very scary lol.

carol
09-01-2016, 14:41
Mid 70s I think.....sooooooo boring but some characters, whose names I still remember.

janner
09-01-2016, 15:53
when we got a colour tv the curtains stayed open

Sundri
09-01-2016, 16:33
Ha ha what year was that I worked there for 3 days in the early 70s hated it went home crying to my mum and Dad begging them not to make me work there the older women that worked there hard as nails and very scary lol.

That explains a lot! Fancy sending you to work when you should have been at school:lol-053:

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS