PDA

View Full Version : Calais

derathe
20-01-2016, 12:14
Seen on FB today... worth at least bearing in mind;

Warning.
Just a warning for anyone traveling back from France...... A good friend of mine has just arrived back into the UK from a visit to family in France his granddaughter wife and himself stopped for a break in a quiet lay by 5mile out of Calais, my friend is ex army and in his 40s, they were approached by two Arab Muslim type young men in their 20s armed with a knife each, they ordered my friend to drive them in the car through to the UK, in a flash he disarmed one, punched him to the floor and kicked out at the other one they both fled leaving their knives, my friend was shaken, he collected the knives in a bag and travelled to a police station. The officer was not over concerned, he filled out a report form with details and said they would look into it but they did not think there was much they could do about it as this was about the 40th similar incident reported in the last two weeks, People be careful, lock your doors and only stop at a busy place. You can Share if you want. hopefully it will prevent someone being hurt.

antiquesam
20-01-2016, 13:50
Do what truck drivers do and don't stop within 50 miles of Calais

Wooie1958
20-01-2016, 14:19
We used to do the last night at Wissant before running into Calais for the ferry. I fear that maybe a little close now so we`ll stay further away in future.

Last time we stayed at the Moulin Spinnewyn, Hondschoote 37388

Excellent night but the old dear at the cottage was not happy because we didn`t buy a jeton from her for the service point, she came and asked us several times.

wakk44
20-01-2016, 14:56
I can see the western channel routes becoming more popular because of the migrant crisis in Calais.They are desperate people and must be suffering in the recent cold weather.

Jimhunterj4
20-01-2016, 15:03
They're persistent if anything, it's high time the situation was sorted, if they get the benefit system sorted out for asylum seekers then the land of free money and housing may loose a bit of its appeal

Dezi
20-01-2016, 15:29
I am quite sure that we will only get the nice immigrants.

Calais jungle refugees attack journalists Maaike Engels and Teun Voeten | Metro News (http://metro.co.uk/2016/01/20/refugees-armed-with-knife-filmed-mugging-two-journalists-documenting-their-plight-5633131/)

Dezi

antiquesam
20-01-2016, 15:54
I watched them pull two people from under a truck in the port at Caen last month.

roamingman
20-01-2016, 15:58
Why not use Dunkirk we have never had any problems there.

El Veterano
21-01-2016, 08:08
Seen on FB today... worth at least bearing in mind;

Warning.
Just a warning for anyone traveling back from France...... A good friend of mine has just arrived back into the UK from a visit to family in France his granddaughter wife and himself stopped for a break in a quiet lay by 5mile out of Calais, my friend is ex army and in his 40s, they were approached by two Arab Muslim type young men in their 20s armed with a knife each, they ordered my friend to drive them in the car through to the UK, in a flash he disarmed one, punched him to the floor and kicked out at the other one they both fled leaving their knives, my friend was shaken, he collected the knives in a bag and travelled to a police station. The officer was not over concerned, he filled out a report form with details and said they would look into it but they did not think there was much they could do about it as this was about the 40th similar incident reported in the last two weeks, People be careful, lock your doors and only stop at a busy place. You can Share if you want. hopefully it will prevent someone being hurt.

As much as I appreciate the concern here, and I personally would also not stay anywhere near Calais these days anyway, if you put this text into Facebook or even Google it, it comes up with nothing. It doesn't necessarily mean that it doesn't exist or it didn't happen, but there are far too many tales about 'A friend of mine......' kicking about, take the gassing incidents as an example, for them to be taken too seriously. So maybe a link to the actual FB page, but then who believes everything that is on there, or how about some first hand experiences.
My view, is that it is possible that it did happen, or at least something along those lines, and if it didn't happen then it most probably will before long.

El Veterano
21-01-2016, 08:12
Why not use Dunkirk we have never had any problems there.

There are those on here who also say they have never had a problem at Calais. The fact is the threat exists and if you wish to minimise that threat it would be prudent not to use Calais these days. But I'm with you, I also use Dunkirk whenever I can.

Wooie1958
21-01-2016, 08:27
We`ve never had a problem at Calais, seen several pulled out of and from under wagons whilst in the queue but that`s all.

Held up once at Dover ( 30 minutes ) whilst they attempted to round some up that were running free on the port.

I`ve looked at the Dover to Dunkirk route but i can`t get anywhere near the price i can get going to and from Calais.

Maybe i`m doing something wrong as i only book one way at a time then we don`t get stung if coming back early as happened once.

7.5m van, 2 adults, 0 kids and 0 pets at a sensible time ( don`t do daft o`clock ).

Lunnie
21-01-2016, 11:43
We have always use Dunkirk for Holland, but the last two trips noticed young men walking around the carpark, they was not with any vehicle because we watched them walk away down a road we hadn't noticed before towards to sea.

Dunkirk ferryport is being developed, so car park no longer secure, razor wire everywhere, and now 3 passport and physical checks of your vehicle

Since read, there is a migrant camp jut outside the ferryport and it has increased from 800 to 3000 before Christmas.
So using the The hook as we will be towing trailer...

No problem getting on or off, but unsettling as we overnight there...

It is a much proferred route even though it is n extra 3.5hr drive for us...

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS