PDA

View Full Version : Bwlch-y-Ddeufaen

boff
21-02-2006, 10:24
Not suitable for very large or heavy vans! We made it with our 3.5-ton C-class with 6 metres (about 20 ft) length, but it should not be much larger.

Leave the B5105 in Tal-y-Bont towards Llanbedr-y-cennin. Straight through this little village, shortly after when the road makes a sharp right turn go left up the hill and follow this narrow, winding single-track road to the end. Takes a while, but there is a small hiker's car park at the end where only the occasional rain will disturb a quiet night. Those who have GPS can enter (-3°-55' -4'' / 53°13' 32''), those who can still read maps will find it as well. ;)

Best Regards,
Gerhard

jann
25-02-2006, 13:16
This sounds siimilar to where we stopped a few weeks ago. We left th A496 at Llanbedr following signs to waterfall. When we came to a junction in the road we turned left up a hill,(presumably the waterfall was to the right.) We followed this road which was very narrow with walls both sides,no chance of passing anybody. We eventually came to a small car park by the stream,where we stopped overnight. The next morning we carried on, we came accross another small car park in about half a mile. Thewre was a junction which showed a dead end straight ahead. We carried on to the left, The sat nav kept directing us so we thought it would be ok. We then drove through a series of farm gates which needed opening and closing (luckily I was driving!!) The roads were extremly narrow and we encountered several hair pin bends which were very difficult to negociate. We kept trusting the sat nav,there wasn't any where to turn round anyway. We dideventually come back out on the main A 496 north of Llanbedr. Luckily we didn't meet any other vehicles.
I can recomend the overnight stop, but next time we will return by the way we came in!!

chopper
04-04-2007, 22:57
sounds good
will try and find this place next time im up that way
any better directions or is that it
ive tryed looking on auto route but no look
but if i go throught Llanbedr and follow water fall signs
i should find it i hope

jann
05-04-2007, 19:23
Those are the best instructions I can give you,there weren't any road numbers!!!!!

chopper
17-04-2007, 18:45
stopped at Llanbedr for 4 nights very peacefull
and right next to the water falls cost 4 pound each per night
will be going back its a lovely place to relax and not far from barmouth and places
i followed the road out of barmouth untill we came into Llanbedr
then turned right by the pub
followed signs for the water fall
over the cattle grid when you turn left
keep folowing the water fall signs down a narrow track
when the road splits keep to the right
and there you are

camp fires alowed farmer also sells logs
ideal at night sitting out side with a few drinks
right next to the river and falls

fresh water and toilets

http://www.nantcolwaterfalls.co.uk/

rebbyvid
18-04-2007, 06:00
http://www.nantcolwaterfalls.co.uk/
Like that one Chopper ---added to favourites thanks
Rob

18-04-2007, 18:26
very nice indeed....like the fact you can have a fire....thats proper camping!!

chopper
11-06-2009, 16:15
thanks boff and jann
we had a nice stop over for 1 night there
very peacefull and some deep water for a dip
will be going back to there in the future :)
turn right at the pub in llanbedre follow signs for water fall
but dont turn right over bridge follow road up and go round a sharp right hand bend
( camp site entrance is straight ahead ) then you will see the car park
or further up a big layby

if you fancy it follow the road to the right dead end all the way along and theres a massive lake at the end its 5 pound a night to park there then a pound for every other person or something like that
but we just turned around and stayed at the big layby next to the water

Canalsman
29-03-2010, 15:58
Not suitable for very large or heavy vans! We made it with our 3.5-ton C-class with 6 metres (about 20 ft) length, but it should not be much larger.

Leave the B5105 in Tal-y-Bont towards Llanbedr-y-cennin. Straight through this little village, shortly after when the road makes a sharp right turn go left up the hill and follow this narrow, winding single-track road to the end. Takes a while, but there is a small hiker's car park at the end where only the occasional rain will disturb a quiet night. Those who have GPS can enter (-3°-55' -4'' / 53°13' 32''), those who can still read maps will find it as well. ;)

Best Regards,
Gerhard

Just had a look at this on Streetview ... 53.22548, -3.91765 - Google Maps (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=53.22548,+-3.91765&sll=52.071738,-3.698165&sspn=0.00699,0.022531&ie=UTF8&ll=53.225492,-3.917581&spn=0.001529,0.011265&t=k&z=17&layer=c&cbll=53.225457,-3.917445&panoid=3oDeXBvvc6ZlCyR_phDHCw&cbp=12,266.72,,0,11.56)

That gateway looks awful narrow.

Anyone been through there with a coachbuilt? :confused:

Randonneur
29-03-2010, 20:46
Is this the Nantcol waterfalls? It's more or less right opposite the left turn that takes you on to Shell Island. I went up there in august last year and it was just as busy as Shell Island. They seemed to have a few school groups camping up there.

Same rules as for Shell Island, don't go in the school holidays or on a bank holiday.

rebbyvid
29-03-2010, 20:56
Is this the Nantcol waterfalls? It's more or less right opposite the left turn that takes you on to Shell Island. I went up there in august last year and it was just as busy as Shell Island. They seemed to have a few school groups camping up there.

Same rules as for Shell Island, don't go in the school holidays or on a bank holiday.
I was there last easter and august bank holiday does get busy but not as bad as Shell Island and the facilities are much better.Would go again to Nantcol but not to Shell Island
Rob

Randonneur
29-03-2010, 21:03
Know what you mean. Nantcol is on my to do list but it will take a cold day in hell to get me back to Shell Island. It's a pity really, when we went there ten years ago it was a lovely place but it's ruined now. :mad:

Canalsman
29-03-2010, 22:25
Is this the Nantcol waterfalls?

I don't believe so ...

Randonneur
30-03-2010, 20:21
I don't believe so ...

Yep, know where you are now, my road atlas shows 4 Tal-y-Bonts in Wales, your one is in between Betws-y-Coed and Conwy.

The Llanbedr I was talking about is north of Tal-y-Bont, which is north of Barmouth, on the A496.

Unfortunately i don't own a sat nav or GPS so I have to rely on old fashioned maps and Google street view. :)

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS