PDA

View Full Version : Help on Western Isles

Polstain
19-01-2009, 21:57
I wonder if anyone out there can help? Two of us (she who must be obeyed and me) are off to the Western Isles in June for 4 weeks, taking advantage of the new rates on the ferry. The thing is, can anyone help with suggestions on where to go and the chances of provisions etc?

sagart
20-01-2009, 08:53
we do have shops/supermarkets/pubs up here...and even electricity (except for 12 hours last weekend).
The Western Isles is a large area, so can you, please, be more precise. There is a lot of good information in the Scottish forums (fora if you prefer)

Geoff.W
20-01-2009, 10:35
we do have shops/supermarkets/pubs up here...and even electricity.

You'll be telling us next that they've got indoor plumbing as well.:D:D:p:D

Telstar
20-01-2009, 13:16
Polstain

I'm up there (or is that out there) myself from the 30th May for two weeks. Barra, Lewis and Harris.

might bump into you? If you see a van with my name on it, its mine.

I have no problem with accepting whisky whilst chatting to new friends!

Jon

tresrikay
20-01-2009, 18:56
Hi polstain , you are in for a real treat, we went last August starting in Barra and working our way up to the butt of Lewis.
The outer Hebrides are a feast for the M/H er, especially the southern Isles.
you can put your van virtually anywhere and feast your eyes on the best beaches in the British Isles, which are usually deserted.
I suggest you go to the photo forum on here and look at the pics titled outer hebrides.... that may whet your appetite.
Any advice on places to stay I will be happy to provide.
I was helped loads by the info on here before we went and I am sure you will be.I am as jealous as hell as I can't wait to go back.

Polstain
23-01-2009, 13:26
Thanks to all who replied - we intend (I think) to start at the bottom and work our way up - or maybe the other way round! I will have a look at the pics, and thanks for the positive words Rick. We're always concerned at what we'll find - but last year we went on Orkney with trepidation, and loved it - so I'm sure the same will happen this time. I'll also be keeping a look out for Telstar on some secluded beach! Thanks again...

TheTraveller
27-01-2009, 12:23
The big thing to watch out for is that Western Scotland tends to be fundamentally Christian and this means a lot of services are not open on a Sunday.

Therefore a big lesson I've already learned the hard way is to ensure that before travelling along the west coast on a Sunday is to ensure you have plenty enough fuel and provsions.

While some places will be open, there are also early closing times to consider, and this on a sparsely populated route means you need to watch out for it.

Hope that helps. :)

boby350golf
27-01-2009, 23:57
HI THE TRAVELLER
when were you last up the west coast,would you believe it they have super markets up there too.but keep saying that it is remote and if you run out of fuel/food you may never survive,then it will stay wild remote and wonderful the way my wife and I love it.We have toured the West coast,along the North,Outer hebrides,Orkney,etc for many years wildcamping in our Motorhomes and it is the "remoteness"that is the key.

Julie
28-01-2009, 12:40
Thanks to all who replied - we intend (I think) to start at the bottom and work our way up - or maybe the other way round! I will have a look at the pics, and thanks for the positive words Rick. We're always concerned at what we'll find - but last year we went on Orkney with trepidation, and loved it - so I'm sure the same will happen this time. I'll also be keeping a look out for Telstar on some secluded beach! Thanks again...

We did a similar trip a couple of years back. I posted some info which may be helpful to you here

http://www.wildcamping.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=598

It was a while back now so some things may have changed, but its a great place, feels very remote and diferent to the mainland. have a great trip.

Just found another thread on here which has lots of info as well

http://www.wildcamping.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=4125

Jules

sagart
28-01-2009, 19:05
As to Berneray, this site was always good for a laugh http://www.campberneray.co.uk/index.html
Surprising number claimed to be local (and irate) crofters. Intriguingly the number of "crofters" from Berneray who shared the same literary style and language was greater than the number who ever attended grazing committee meetings.

tresrikay
29-01-2009, 19:29
Please look at the outer hebrides thread as I have posted wild camping spots on that thread.

Boppintone
30-01-2009, 15:58
I intend to do the Island Hopscotch in May this year and allowing the whole month to do it, I have just recieved the Calmac brochure which advises to book ferries early, whilst I could probably decide on the date and time of the first ferry to Barra, I don't see how I could possibly even hazard a guess as to the other ferries I might need to book, and never having ever been on these islands havn't a clue how long I may need to spend on any of them to fully appreciate them, so the question is, is it deemed nessessary to book, is there usually space on them if you just turn up, and is a month too long, will I get bored, is the fishing good from the beaches/rocks and is there any free fishing (river and Lochs). Any help will be gratefully recieved.

Thanks
Tony

tresrikay
30-01-2009, 19:51
The only ones you need to really book are over to the Islands and back, the rest can be booked at the Calmac offices at barra Lochboisdale and Lochmaddy. We didn't book for the barra Eriskay ferry and turned for the first ferry , first in the Q but we couldn't get on as it was booked solid, so it was back to Castlebay to book on to the afternoon ferry. You only have to book the day before so..... go with the flow.....;)chill out and enjoy one of the last bastions of sanity left on this earth.:)

Telstar
30-01-2009, 20:33
We've booked. Going 30th May (or whatever the Sat date is) for 2 weeks. Afternoon ferry across and then book as we go. Return ferry from Stornaway booked, I don't think that the inbetween bit matters in regards time.

Jon

tresrikay
30-01-2009, 20:58
We've booked. Going 30th May (or whatever the Sat date is) for 2 weeks. Afternoon ferry across and then book as we go. Return ferry from Stornaway booked, I don't think that the inbetween bit matters in regards time.

Jon

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:::p

sagart
31-01-2009, 09:35
I tend always to book, especially for the smaller inter-island ferries where they can be crowded in summer.
You can book online, if you have Internet access on holiday or by mobile phone to Calmac's central booking system...it does save a long wait for a spare space.

Boppintone
03-02-2009, 12:58
Can anyone give info on the fishing, both Sea and Loch/River on these Islands, just a thought are there any rivers?

Thanks
Tony

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS