PDA

View Full Version : portable solar ideas

derathe
15-02-2016, 10:42
I have a folding solar panel, connected to a mppt etc, which i only use on occasion. I also have a very tightly fitting battery and have trouble attaching the cables from solar panel to it... so my question is, Has anyone an idea of a simple connection hard wired to battery that i can plug in/ connect solar cables to? thanks

Polar Bear
15-02-2016, 10:54
I have a folding solar panel, connected to a mppt etc, which i only use on occasion. I also have a very tightly fitting battery and have trouble attaching the cables from solar panel to it... so my question is, Has anyone an idea of a simple connection hard wired to battery that i can plug in/ connect solar cables to? thanks

When I was a lad mechanical engineer and had to fit batteries to cars of the day I had to drill a hole down each terminal to fix the cable caps down with the aid of a self tapper, the cables did not have a clamp as we now know it just a lead cup soldiered to the cable.

If I was struggling due to space and I had consider all the alternatives I'd fasten by drilling and tapping the post then bolting a ring connector crimped on to the cable.

You can buy batteries with bolt on terminals if you are due for a change?

oldish hippy
15-02-2016, 11:11
12volt socket 12V standard socket | Leisureshopdirect (https://www.leisureshopdirect.com/electric/12v-appliances/12v-plugs-and-sockets/cbe_12v_standard_socket-_euro_type.aspx)

maingate
15-02-2016, 11:20
I have a fixed panel on the roof and a spare freestanding panel if I need more solar power. I have a plug on the freestanding panel wiring and a socket hardwired to the regulator wiring. It is just a simple matter of opening the locker door and plugging in the second panel.

derathe
15-02-2016, 12:11
I have a fixed panel on the roof and a spare freestanding panel if I need more solar power. I have a plug on the freestanding panel wiring and a socket hardwired to the regulator wiring. It is just a simple matter of opening the locker door and plugging in the second panel.

Is it possible to take a couple of pictures to show me how you have set it up please?

maingate
15-02-2016, 13:20
Is it possible to take a couple of pictures to show me how you have set it up please?

Pictures would not help you as I have run the wiring from the fixed roof panel through a junction box and fitted the 12 volt socket into the box.

If your folding panel has its own regulator fitted then you just need to have a trailing socket connected directly to your leisure battery + and -. Fit a 12 volt plug to the wiring from the panel and plug in to complete the circuit. I notice that you have a selfbuild on a panel van. You can get weatherproof (or Marine) sockets and fit one somewhere handy through the bodywork in a suitable area. Alternatively, you could run the wiring through the sliding door. Closing it should not nip the wiring due to the rubber seal.

If you have a separate (stand alone) solar regulator, it will need mounting somewhere in the van and the solar panel wiring running to it first and then to the leisure battery.

This is the sort of 12 volt socket you might need. Panel Mounted Waterproof 12V Power Socket | 12 Volt Planet (http://www.12voltplanet.co.uk/panel-mounted-waterproof-12v-power-socket.html)

oldish hippy
15-02-2016, 13:35
if trouble reaching lesuire battery the put relay from main battery feed to lesuire and fit alarm to warn you if power is cut then if someone decides to leg it then the alarm goes off

molly 2
15-02-2016, 15:05
I have a portable panel ,I leave it connected to the battery and controller ,remove by disconnecting the mc 4 connections at the panel, if I need to disconnect the controller remove the fuse near the battery.

kito
15-02-2016, 15:19
I have much the same problem getting access to my battery's as they are under the dinette floor which means I have to remove table lift carpets then lid. What I did was bought a watertight female cigarette lighter connector ran the wires to battery in my case I could access the underside with a inline fuse made a bracket to hold connector and attached it to the under side of van away from road spray, the panel side I wired a male connector. If copy & paste the two below into eBay it will give you different connectors

male female wire connector plugs

12V Universal Car Cigarette Lighter Extension Socket Male Adapter ON/OFF Button

1 Cup
15-02-2016, 18:00
if the panel is not connected you should cover it, ive been told ?
Is that right?:idea-007:

wildman
15-02-2016, 18:48
a solar panel should only be connected AFTER the regulator is connected to the battery otherwise the regulator may be damaged. If you need to remove the battery disconnect the panel first or cover it. It is the regulator that is at risk not the panel or battery.
So a disconnected panel will be fine as long as the ends of the wire are not short circuit.

maingate
15-02-2016, 19:02
if the panel is not connected you should cover it, ive been told ?
Is that right?:idea-007:

Yes that is correct.

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS