PDA

View Full Version : Please do not submit your home as a POI

Admin
20-02-2016, 17:31
The wildcamping Apps have the option to submit locations into the POI database. The location that is submitted is not the center of the map, it is the actual position of the phone. So if you are sitting in your living room playing with the app and submit a location, you will submit your home for inclusion to the database.

Luckily POI Admin and myself can see that your drive may not hold too many vans :)

Please be aware that lots of members do this every week and it just adds to the work load.

When you are in a great location, that is when to use the feature.

Thanks

Admin

trevskoda
20-02-2016, 17:36
A dead givaway if robbing a bank.:scared:

Mr D
20-02-2016, 18:47
Can you imagine, in the middle of winter having your horlicks before going to bed, you see lights brightening up your kitchen blind's and think nothing of it and go off to bed, then the following morning you wake up and someone is having a fry up in their van on your drive!

Discokegs
20-02-2016, 22:30
Can you imagine, in the middle of winter having your horlicks before going to bed, you see lights brightening up your kitchen blind's and think nothing of it and go off to bed, then the following morning you wake up and someone is having a fry up in their van on your drive!

If they didn't offer me at least a bacon sandwich I'd be furious. ;)

Tony Lee
20-02-2016, 23:34
The other problem is when contributors forget to enable the gps in their phones and it defaults to some place in the middle of the ocean

POI Admin
10-05-2016, 23:51
Bump ...

This is still happening on a regular basis :eek:

POI Admin
16-07-2016, 15:57
Please do take care NOT to submit your home as a POI location ...

Thank you :D

maingate
16-07-2016, 18:15
I am extra careful as I have a Stately Home, 500 Hectares, Ornamental Gardens (with a Maze) and a Herd of Deer.

I have told the Gamekeepers to shoot on sight if they see a Motorhome coming up the driveway.

Yogihughes
16-07-2016, 23:03
In Gateshead?

maingate
17-07-2016, 10:02
In Gateshead?

Yes in Gateshead. Do you know who I am? :mad2:

I am so important that they named a Shopping and Business Complex after me. :dance:

Gateshead, Maingate Team Valley (Regus) (http://www.mwbex.com/location/gateshead-maingate-team-valley-regus)

Tbear
17-07-2016, 14:40
Its ugly as well. :)

Richard

KuyaAndAte
17-07-2016, 14:41
So why not change the app so that the user can select the exact point they wish to submit as a POI?

Not everywhere has a phone/data signal and so submitting only "where you are now" is not an option. Some may email admin with details later, others may forget, or just not bother, to submit the details later. Now if you could select a point on the map later and submit THAT point I think more would do so.

Just food for thought ;)

[Edited to add...]
I also wish you would bring back off-line maps in the app for when we have no phone/data signal!!!

POI Admin
17-07-2016, 19:04
Lack of an internet connection does NOT prevent submission of a POI location.

The email that is created will remain in the device's Outbox until there is a connection.

Submission after the event is best done by using Google Maps to pinpoint the location, then sharing the location using email. The email address to use is POI@wildcamping.co.uk

Offline maps remain available in Version 1 of the app, though it has less functionality than Version 2.

A better option is to consider using maps.me and load the POIs into that using the Google Earth KML files.

KuyaAndAte
17-07-2016, 20:43
Lack of an internet connection does NOT prevent submission of a POI location.

The email that is created will remain in the device's Outbox until there is a connection.
OK, didn't know that, thanks.

Submission after the event is best done by using Google Maps to pinpoint the location, then sharing the location using email. The email address to use is POI@wildcamping.co.uk
That's what I have always done.

Offline maps remain available in Version 1 of the app, though it has less functionality than Version 2.
That's why I requested (and still do) offline maps on v2.

A better option is to consider using maps.me and load the POIs into that using the Google Earth KML files.
That is what I do but it's not better, as you state, as all POI's have the same symbol. You can't see at a glance which are CR, OU, etc. They also have much less information than they do on the online map or v2 of the app.

maingate
17-07-2016, 21:12
Its ugly as well. :)

RichardAs well as what? :confused:

:confused:nk carefully before you answer. :ninja:

Tbear
18-07-2016, 13:21
Somebody been using my computer again? :scared:

Richard

POI Admin
26-07-2016, 19:56
Bump!

Still happening ...

POI Admin
11-08-2016, 23:51
Bump!

Auld Pharrrt
12-08-2016, 08:54
This is probably why I keep finding places around the highlands and no-one has included them in the POI's ... sometimes it just isn't worth waiting for an hour to get a mobile data signal and then, if you actually do get one, trying to send the location etc, etc, etc.

POI Admin
12-08-2016, 11:59
This is probably why I keep finding places around the highlands and no-one has included them in the POI's ... sometimes it just isn't worth waiting for an hour to get a mobile data signal and then, if you actually do get one, trying to send the location etc, etc, etc.

As I have clarified previously you do not need a mobile broadband connection to report a new location.

If you use our app, or a third party app, to share a location via email, the email will stay in your outbox till a connection is available. Then it will be sent.

Please do not let the lack of connection deter anyone from submitting a new POI.

Auld Pharrrt
12-08-2016, 21:03
As I have clarified previously you do not need a mobile broadband connection to report a new location.

If you use our app, or a third party app, to share a location via email, the email will stay in your outbox till a connection is available. Then it will be sent.

Please do not let the lack of connection deter anyone from submitting a new POI.

Oh.

POI Admin
28-08-2016, 22:02
Bump :D

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS