PDA

View Full Version : Travelling with Gas

CavityandLacey
27-03-2016, 06:40
Hello, when travelling with bottled gas onboard is it in order to turn the supply off at the tank i.e. the metal circle that you twist on and off to release the supply of gas or do i need to unthread the hose which leads to the bottled gas itself ?

Andys
27-03-2016, 06:46
We never turn our gas off, when the 12 volt packed in in France we ran around with the fridge running on gas never had a problem

delicagirl
27-03-2016, 06:53
Before you drive onto a ferry their operator staff always ask you if you have switched your gas bottle off (at the tap on the tope of the bottle) so I assume they don't think travelling with an open gas supply is safe - but you make your own mind up. I sometimes forget to switch mine off and nothing has happened to me or the van.

Polar Bear
27-03-2016, 07:36
Only turn mine off when changing bottles.

Wooie1958
27-03-2016, 07:50
Many years ago when we first started participating in mobile leisure activities the advice was to turn off the gas at the bottle whilst travelling.

I still do it today, in the event of the unthinkable happening i would like to think that i haven`t gas escaping through a ruptured pipe.

We have never been asked by ferry staff if the gas has been turned off.

wakk44
27-03-2016, 07:53
If you want to travel with the gas on then a secumotion device should be fitted.In the event of an accident and the gas supply being ruptured it will automatically shut off the gas to prevent a fire,if you have a standard gas bottle/tank without secumotion then it should be switched off at the valve when travelling or on the ferry.Ferry operators should check that you have switched the gas off before embarking but sometimes don't in my experience.

I know some people who regularly travel with the gas on with no secumotion fitted and use the heating or even the oven whilst on the road,this practice works alright providing they are not involved in an accident that ruptures the gas supply.

jagmanx
27-03-2016, 07:56
Is to turn the gas off (at the bottle) whilst travelling.

There are safety considerations which make this a good idea although I suggest the likelihood of a problem whilst driving is minimal.

So the fridge goes to 12V

The cost of power does not really play a part.
When on 12V you are drawing quite a bit of juice from the alternator but suggest this has virtually no effect on MPG.

I have on a few occasions driven with Gas open and fridge on gas but try not too (again my preference)
As others have alerted Ferry Operators and Eurotunnel check (and rightly so..turning off in these circumstances is H&S at its best !)

If you leave the fridge on gas you are clearly using gas ..With LPG refillable tanks the cost is not a consideration.... But if you use calorgas then it is a touch wasteful on cash.

If camping or using aires then if EHU is available you could use this to power the fridge..BUT we rarely use EHU because of 120Watt solar Panel
Paying for EHU just for the fridge again cash-wasteful.
However if EHU is built in to the cost then use it !

DTDog
27-03-2016, 08:24
Always travel with mine on, but I think the 'correct' advice is to switch it off.

It's like the 'don't use your mobile at a petrol garage'.
And then now you can pay for the fuel using Apple Pay?
Errrmmm how can I use Apple Pay when my phone is off?

jann
27-03-2016, 08:35
We never turn gas off,apart from long ferry journeys. Never been asked to turn it off.

hextal
27-03-2016, 08:39
I leave mine on, but, it's a refillable tank so has a one way fill valve, in case the fill hose ruptures, and high flow shut off valve for if the supply hose ruptures. It's also got a crash sensing valve (CS mono?) to detect impacts and shut off the gas.

However, I made sure to discuss the issue with my insurers so that they didn't have an excuse to not pay should the worst happen. So I have a statement in writing from them giving it the 'ok' as far as they are concerned.

With all of that said, there is always an element of risk, it's a case of weighing these things up and not doing anything daft.

witzend
27-03-2016, 08:59
Always turn mine off I'm the only one it seem's but nearly always asked if gas is Off by Ferry security when loading. It's was legal requirement to turn off while traveling in France still could be and maybe some other countries. As already said you need a secumotion device should be in the hose from the supply see picture.

mark61
27-03-2016, 09:08
Often travel with mine on, although I agree it's a good idea to turn it off. Only time I've been asked to turn gas off is on channel tunnel.

whitevanwoman
27-03-2016, 10:11
I turn the supply off at the bottle because in the event of an accident, I wouldn't want the worry about damaged gas pipes and escaping gas on top of the concern about getting my dogs out safely, nor the risk to anyone within 100 m of my vehicle should it go up in flames.

The likelihood is low but the risk to human life is high - I've done my own risk assessment and prefer to err on the side of caution. It takes 20 seconds to do it.

listerdiesel
27-03-2016, 10:16
We travel with the trailer gas and fridge turned on, but shut the fridge down on the ferry.

The Mercedes will have solenoid shut-off for the gas, with a Mercury tilt switch that shuts it off anyway at extreme angles of tilt.

We rarely get asked about the gas on the ferry, and if we have the trailer on the back of the V8 Discovery, that runs on gas anyway, so can't turn it off easily at the tank but can change to petrol which shuts off the gas valves on the tanks.

Peter

Obanboy666
27-03-2016, 10:18
The only time I turn it off is when it's parked up on drive.
As previously mentioned most modern motorhomes allow habitation heating when on the move so the powers that be must view it as a low risk.
To be honest the main reason I leave it on is I got fed up with the fridge audible warning going off when I stopped and turned the ignition off for whatever reason.
Now just leave gas on, fridge on auto so it's on 12v when on the move and automatically goes onto gas when I stop and turn the ignition off. Anything for an easy life.

El Veterano
27-03-2016, 10:38
A mate of mine a few years ago severely damaged 2 classic CZ motocross bikes by leaving his gas fridge 'on' in his bike trailer while traveling on the motorway in France. He was only alerted to the raging fire by a a motorist who overtook him and flagged him down. Your choice I suppose.

Obanboy666
27-03-2016, 10:56
A mate of mine a few years ago severely damaged 2 classic CZ motocross bikes by leaving his gas fridge 'on' in his bike trailer while traveling on the motorway in France. He was only alerted to the raging fire by a a motorist who overtook him and flagged him down. Your choice I suppose.

Mine only goes onto gas when I stop / turn the ignition off. On the move its on 12v.

Hellfire
27-03-2016, 11:07
Eurotunnel certainly ask you to open the door of the gas locker to check the cylinder is off. It's also illegal to travel in France with the cylinder on, I don't know if that applies elsewhere.

In any case, why take the risk. If you are travelling your fridge will run off the battery and you can keep warm with the vehicles heating system.

listerdiesel
27-03-2016, 11:47
If you are travelling your fridge will run off the battery and you can keep warm with the vehicles heating system.

Some of us have 24V electrics :)

Peter

hextal
27-03-2016, 11:53
Eurotunnel certainly ask you to open the door of the gas locker to check the cylinder is off. It's also illegal to travel in France with the cylinder on, I don't know if that applies elsewhere.

In any case, why take the risk. If you are travelling your fridge will run off the battery and you can keep warm with the vehicles heating system.

I do turn mine off for ferries/Eurotunnel. Saying that, as it's an underslung tank, when the Eurotunnel bods have asked to see that the valve is off, I show them where it is (I even put a tarpaulin down for them) and their response was "never mind, I'll take your word for it"

Hellfire
27-03-2016, 12:13
Some of us have 24V electrics :)

Peter

Posh buggers:lol-049:

CavityandLacey
27-03-2016, 16:22
Thank you for all your advice - I was having an argument with the other half about what we should do - i was wrong :)

Deadsfo
27-03-2016, 16:46
if your gas is on to keep your fridge on then you have a naked flame less than 6" from the outside that could be near a fuel pump for instance

pugman
27-03-2016, 19:44
i don't have a fridge, so much of this doesn't apply. but my gas locker is easily accessible, so i can turn on or off very quickly.

El Veterano
28-03-2016, 06:33
Attached is a pic of the sticker that is on the inside of the door of my Chausson gas locker. Pretty obvious as to what it is recommending I would say.39374

John Thompson
20-02-2017, 09:33
The advice to empty all water and turn off your gas comes from the old days of trailer caravans and is perpetrated by the clubs today.

I had a trailer caravan breakaway behind me and overturn. This was when gas bottles were on the tow bar secured by a small metal piece which expanded to hold the bottles lower rim. The secured bottle broke away from the bar and rolled down the road. If it had been live there could have been more problems than just a cannon ball bouncing down a road.

With gas lockers this is less likely to happen. Turning off at the valve is all that is needed Do NOT keep undoing the pipe connections as this is totally unnecessary.

I have ran with live gas in the motorhome without any problems and now have a large gas tank that is never turned off unless I am going on the tunnel or a ferry. I do however make sure that all appliances are off before refuelling with Diesel or Gas.

I once had a car drop the bottom out of the petrol tank, just after it was filled up, while still parked on the pump as I was in the kiosk paying. So I always remember the 10 gallons of petrol running all over the forecourt. People were still driving in with lit cigarettes and refuelling at the other pumps, as if nothing was happening. The pump attendant only turned off the supply to the other pumps when told to do so by the fire engine crew when they arrived. By this time the car was empty but standing in a pool of petrol and sand from the forecourt buckets.

Fazerloz
20-02-2017, 10:21
As JT says do not disconnect the hose. Whether you leave the bottle valve on or off is up to you.
We have never been asked about gas at ferry port either.

countrycruisers
20-02-2017, 11:26
It is not a good idea to be travelling with a gas fridge running on gas, as you may forget and pull in to fill up with fuel. As most of you will be aware when a gas fridge is running on gas there is a naked flame at the rear of the fridge, enough said !!!

Beemer
20-02-2017, 11:42
Our motorhome is designed to drive with the gas on...
We have 2 x gas heaters one in the habitation area and another one has the controls on the dash and gives heat to both the cab and habitation areas.
Our fridge is set to automatic, so changes from gas when stationary with the ignition off, to 12v when the engine is running and switches automatically to 240v when detected.
There is a time pause of about 10mins between the fridge automatically switching from 12v to gas, and I assume this is to allow for fuel stops.

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS