PDA

View Full Version : Isle of Mull

Seamoor
06-04-2016, 21:39
Hi we are going to the isle of mull in May. Although we have been a couple of times this will be the first time with a camper van.

Can anyone help with where we can wild camp on the island.

Thank you

TJBi
06-04-2016, 22:09
A good place to start is "POI Map" in the menu bar at the top of this page. Then type "Isle of Mull" into the search box and hit the <Enter> key. Looks as though there are many stunning locations. You can check them out by clicking on the "CR", "OR", etc. icons and clicking on the thumbnail image will open Google Streetview at that location.

Tom

AuldTam
06-04-2016, 22:42
Calgary Bay is a designated wildcamping spot but if you park sensibly you will find loads of places. I'm going up in May too my daughter lives in Tobermory.

james1508
07-04-2016, 06:26
I really liked the spot at the bottom of Ben More, Sea view with a Munro behind me.

Google Maps (https://goo.gl/maps/pwE3NxiCfuv)

regards

James

AuldTam
02-05-2016, 19:38
Lovely spot James.

Were off to Mull on Monday for a week I'll certainly stop there for a day and go for a paddle in my canoe.

james1508
02-05-2016, 20:51
Lovely spot James.

Were off to Mull on Monday for a week I'll certainly stop there for a day and go for a paddle in my canoe.

Hope you have some good weather there, enjoy the spot .

Thewilsons
02-05-2016, 23:05
There's a water tap at the boating marina in Tobermory in the main car par at Mac gochans pub, also great toilet facilities and showers, 2 for a shower, place is absolutely spotless each time I visit.

runnach
03-05-2016, 22:08
There's a water tap at the boating marina in Tobermory in the main car par at Mac gochans pub, also great toilet facilities and showers, 2 for a shower, place is absolutely spotless each time I visit.

Do you know how the name of MACGOCHANS came about?

The laird
04-05-2016, 02:27
Cmon terry ,I'm eagerly waiting,Jim's no answered yet!,,,,,

winks
04-05-2016, 08:59
I always recommend a trip with Ian's crew, especially at this time of year.

Fingal's Cave and the puffins on the Treshnish are not to be missed. You will never get so close to these birds anywhere else. If you want a night with access to loos, showers and water etc Fidden Farm is OK if you park up before the main camping area. Seals, Hares, Owls and Lapwing by the shedload.

Treshnish Isles & Staffa Tours from Mull & Oban - Turus Mara - About us (http://www.turusmara.com/about-us/)

Cheers

H

runnach
04-05-2016, 13:15
Cmon terry ,I'm eagerly waiting,Jim's no answered yet!,,,,,

Google Maps (https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@56.6208052,-6.0690294,3a,15y,176.36h,88.18t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1shNKHCC_9zQiTA5r4I8RoBA!2e0!6s% 2F%2Fgeo3.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3DhNKHCC_9zQiTA 5r4I8RoBA%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_ sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26y aw%3D104.98965%26pitch%3D0!7i13312!8i6656)

Gordon, prior to what is now at the CP at bottom of Distillery Brae. McKays Garage has always been there, then there was the house (yellow building on street view link) this was the last house at that end of the bay. When bay was to be further developed at that end, to create mooring and pontoons, reclaim land etc, yellow house was bought by some local businessmen, who created what you see now, house extended, up and to the left.

Name of pub: Last owner of house was a Mr MACGOCHAN. So now you know.

Another wee snippet, business was not one year old, when on the run up to a valentine days event at that particular weekend, during the late evening of either the Wednesday or Thursday, there had been torrential rains, land behind brown structure slipped, which demolished brown structure, if this had been on the VD weekend, I shudder to think the outcome!

When totally rebuilt, it was for a while called the half pint pub, for obvious reasons....lol.

Actually, the owners bought the land behind and above the building, made stable, hence the reason you can view rock face, previously rock was foliage covered.

Finally, one of my creative arts students, did a fair bit of the artistic metalwork, which survived the landslide and, was still there on my last visit.

If you require any further useless info, let me know ;)

runnach
04-05-2016, 14:33
I always recommend a trip with Ian's crew, especially at this time of year.

Fingal's Cave and the puffins on the Treshnish are not to be missed. You will never get so close to these birds anywhere else. If you want a night with access to loos, showers and water etc Fidden Farm is OK if you park up before the main camping area. Seals, Hares, Owls and Lapwing by the shedload.

Treshnish Isles & Staffa Tours from Mull & Oban - Turus Mara - About us (http://www.turusmara.com/about-us/)

Cheers

H

Been around all the islands when we had our RHIB. I would say a must do trip if down that way, weather willing, of course.

Thewilsons
04-05-2016, 20:57
Do you know how the name of MACGOCHANS came about?

Haven't a clue terry, there's also one in Cambeltown that used to be owned by the same guy who lives in Tobermory (winker McLean,) however he's never told me why the pub is so called.

champstar
28-05-2016, 14:12
Watch the roads on Mull not the best for Motorhomes

AuldTam
28-05-2016, 16:18
We were on Mull a few weeks ago, going back in July, the weather was fantastic. We did the trip to Staffa and Fingal's cave. The puffins bread on Lunga which is a bit further out than Staffa. Don't visit Staffa if you have any mobility problems the stairs are extremely steep and the walk round to Fingal's cave is a bit up and down too. Not suitable for large dogs either, lap dogs would be okay. You do have the option to stay on the boat and they will take you near to Fingal's cave to get a closer look.

I was told the path between the pub and Mull aquarium goes all the way to Aros park which has a lovely waterfall, if your a walker.

The toilets and showers in the aquarium are spotless. The wildcamping spot at Calgary does have toilet facility and hand basin but work intermittently, there is no drinking water. There is a cafe and gallery a short walk away and a good shop at Dervaig if you need to restock.

The week we were there we kept bumping into the BBC who were filming for the Countryfile programme.

Mull is a fantastic place to visit if your into wildlife and in particular birdwatching.

Btw, there were a few dolphins in Tobermory Bay last Thursday.

runnach
28-05-2016, 17:35
Haven't a clue terry, there's also one in Cambeltown that used to be owned by the same guy who lives in Tobermory (winker McLean,) however he's never told me why the pub is so called.

oops, just saw this, I know Winker.

Thewilsons
28-05-2016, 22:53
Bet you know his brother steptoe as well.

runnach
28-05-2016, 23:06
Bet you know his brother steptoe as well.

Nope, name don't ring a bell. Been a good while since I last saw winker, although my mate see's him more regular, winker dropped mates mooring in Oban Bay.

If memory serves me well, there were three or four partners involved with Tob pub, they also bought another, maybe was a hotel? As you enter Oban from the east, I cant recall pub/hotel name.

Going to drop you a line soon re: our discussion at B&Q, regarding trip to RoI.

Cheers.

Thewilsons
29-05-2016, 04:25
No probs Terry regarding Ireland, winkers brother steptoe and an other brother each own prawn boats in mull, he's a real character, and very well known on the island, sadly the 2nd brother does not go to sea now but leases the boat out due to illness.
We always attend the mull music festival (which is always held the last full weekend in April each year for anyone interested) and that's how we met these guys.
I actually had a tune with a band called "crooked reel" in macgaughans this year, it's a small world.

runnach
29-05-2016, 06:08
No probs Terry regarding Ireland, winkers brother steptoe and an other brother each own prawn boats in mull, he's a real character, and very well known on the island, sadly the 2nd brother does not go to sea now but leases the boat out due to illness.
We always attend the mull music festival (which is always held the last full weekend in April each year for anyone interested) and that's how we met these guys.
I actually had a tune with a band called "crooked reel" in macgaughans this year, it's a small world.

I have only witnessed the music festival, once. Which was pure coincidence, made the mistake of organising a long weekend dive trip, we couldn't understand why the Oban ferry was so busy, Tob was heaving that weekend!

I'll get in touch soon re: RoI info.......cheers.

cruz
01-06-2016, 09:36
Hi. Just come across this site. We are heading to Mull at the end of June in our new Camper. Did I read right somewhere that you can overnight stay on Tobermoray harbour carpark if you ask?

Thewilsons
01-06-2016, 22:14
We have visited the music festival for several years with a camper and now a motorhome, and the carpark is absolutely full of motorhomes, however I believe that the music festival and, the regatta in July are the only time campers are allowed in en mass.
However I can't recall a sign saying no overnight camping, so the odd individual van parked there may not be an issue. Sorry I can't be of moe help

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS