PDA

View Full Version : Sandwood bay scotland

reynolds29
23-02-2009, 18:45
Hi.everyone.

have you been to Sandwood bay? I think it is near Scourie. or Durness.
Can you drive to it or near it with a motorhome?
cheers...

jimmnlizz
23-02-2009, 19:33
Hi Reynolds29, :D :D
read through the following:-

http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/kinlochbervie/sandwoodbay/index.html

http://explore.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/OSAPIScripts/images/transparent.gif

It explains how near to the beach you can get, :rolleyes: :rolleyes: about 4mls or so. Some great pics, as well! :D :D The second site shows the route to drive to the carpark and to the walk. :eek: :eek:
Hope this helps, :cool: :cool: JIM!!

reynolds29
24-02-2009, 11:43
Thanks jim. everything I need to know. now I can start planning the trip.
all the best mate... cheers
Alan...

christine
24-02-2009, 22:29
reynolds29, we were in this area last summer. Have a look at my Virtual Tourist page. Don't forget to click on the tips. Lots more pages on north western Scotland, also.

http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/87f23/4bc76/

sparrks
19-04-2009, 21:08
Hi,

A couple of points to mention about Sandwood bay, my first visit late August several years ago was rather uninspiring, the weather was overcast and windy. The walk to it seemed to take forever, when i got to the beach I was very disapointed, nothing special at all. I crossed the beach heading north towards Cape Wrath, as I got to the north end of the beach the sun came out. What a transformation! the whole area came alive and looked stunning.

About 3 years ago my second visit to Sandwood Bay was at the beginning of September. My plan was to climb up the hills on the southern end of the beach and take some photos looking along the beach with some dramatic looking skies. As I climbed the hill it started raining, so i found a suitable position and set my tripod up and waited.
After half an hour so with a break in the clouds, the wind dropped and the sun came out. Again it looked stunning so i set my camera up, whilst doing this i noticed what looked like smoke rising from the ground. Luckily i realised that it was a swarm of midges rising from the heather. Because it had been raining i had my full waterproofs on, so i pulled out my hat with midge net and put that on. The only bare skin was my hands which were about 90% covered in midges.
To kill them i rubbed my hands together as if i was washing them. Whilst covered head to toe with them i had the feeling of my flesh crawling with them. I ended up with about 20 bites in the end on my stomach where i gave into the urge and i lifted my jacket to check my stomach. I would have ended up with just 1 bite on my hand if i had resisted that urge. I then climbed higher up the hillside into a strong breeze and waited for about an hour before retrieving my gear.

My advise would be avoid the walk if zero chance of sun, if during the midge season hope for windy conditions (almost a given) and take a midge hat, worthwhile anywhere in the Highlands The beach itself may well stay clear of midges.

Great beach in the right conditions and no i didnt get any worthwhile photos. Will try again later early next year. The path looks as if it would disappear very quickly under a small fall of snow

Enjoy your trip

Paul

bob690
19-04-2009, 21:36
Wow paul sure had a bad time, Ive walked into Sandwood bay 3 times now, takes about an hour and a half, I never had a problem with midges. There is a tarmac car park at the beginning of the walk, but its right next door to a crofters house. I got talking to him when he came out to feed the sheep, nice guy. I asked him if it would be ok to stay overnite in the carpark, because it was about 9pm. He said yes, but I was in a people carrier at the time(with a bed in back) I wouldnt ask in my Hymer, it would be just to close. Sandwood bay is one of the most Hauntingly beautiful places Ive been in this country, I,m a photographer to, and I still have not been able to do it justice. It has an atmosphere of its own and is one of those places that once youve been, you have to go back...Bob

stevek
28-04-2009, 18:11
Havent visited as yet,its on my to do backpacking list when retirement comes.

niblue
11-07-2009, 15:53
If you find the walk too boring then it's also easy to mountain bike in, which is much quicker.

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS