PDA

View Full Version : Snowbirds Chatter

Ed on Toast
25-04-2016, 02:35
I am fascinated by the whole idea of Snowbirds and look forward to spreading my wings and joining in the next 10 months, or so.

I sort of get the feeling that you all free run but somehow chat and keep in touch as you go. Obviously, there is this fine forum :) for those daily, distance chats but what about shorter, less formal ones during the day?

Mobile phones, with the wide range of App's like Whats App etc... for less frequent, more formal stuff but is there open, travel along chatter going on? and if so what medium?

A CB radio or modern equivalent, held on a specific Snowbird channel, maybe?

So, what do you Snowbirds do?

Ed on Toast
25-04-2016, 06:52
Obviously, these nice Snowbird folk enjoy a lay on :)

jennyp19
25-04-2016, 08:24

A lie in, maybe, lol. Don't forget you are an hour ahead of us!!

snowbirds
25-04-2016, 08:38
Hi Ed,

OK the Snowbirds are up but resting since the last trip and preparing the van for the next run to the SUN.:lol-053::lol-053:

Regards Snowbirds.

IT

Pauljenny
25-04-2016, 08:40
Lie in ?

What's one of those ?

Breakfast on the terrace to the chorus of Golden Orioles and Jazz on Spottify.

Smart phones make life so easy.

What you need to communicate, depends on what kind of snowbirdery you choose and the timescale.

If you are a " Benidorm Blackbird ", one who flies south to the same, comfy , familiar, campsite, every winter.... You won't need much more .

The other extreme is the " Winter Eagle ", Flying around wild places , stopping for a few days and moving on. The techno fiends on here will tell you what clever tackle and networks to use . If you can manage without GB TV , you can go really wild , only coming near civilisation to take on supplies.

Any of those options beats sitting in front of daytime telly, complaining about the great British winter.

Go on...... Try it !

Ed on Toast
25-04-2016, 08:48
Ahhh! there are sub-species, good to know.

Alas, as yet i have not found my sub-species

I was thinking I might be a Snow Cuckoo, at lease to begin with. Spend time in the many and varied nests that seem to make up the Snowbird colony.

By early next year or later this, I would like to be Out n About on my new wheels. Trungling about the UK and then over onto mainland Europe for a few months.

I am sure i will find many ideas and solutions among the learned colony chatter here.

:bow:

carol
25-04-2016, 08:54
I suppose I must be a fledgling snowbird? Looking forward to strengthening my wings next year!

Pauljenny
25-04-2016, 08:58
I suppose I must be a fledgling snowbird? Looking forward to strengthening my wings next year!

Oh, come on Carol ! Don't be so modest.. You have been rattling round Europe now for a couple of years ? Getting to know the ropes and bumping into the scenery. :lol-053:

carol
25-04-2016, 09:02
Thanks for reminding me! NOT! :rolleyes2:

Ed on Toast
25-04-2016, 11:24
I wonder what might be a good route?

I do like Germany but do not see a great deal about it here, then a meandering route down to Spain & Portugal.

taking my time and staying a week or so, here and there, with wild and one night stops in between.

A little Benidorm as I pass by to chat with the Blackbirds.

I am new to MH's and nearly as new to Spain, so looking forward to learning loads from you folk before my maiden Spanish flight.

:cool1:

Pauljenny
25-04-2016, 11:44

I do like Germany but do not see a great deal about it here, then a meandering route down to Spain & Portugal.

taking my time and staying a week or so, here and there, with wild and one night stops in between.

I am new to MH's and nearly as new to Spain, so looking forward to learning loads from you folk before my maiden Spanish flight.

Sounds a good plan.

Germany gets cold in the winter... That's why all those big fat A class German vans come down here for a few months . Munich, in the south gets very cold and snowed up.

Try to get the language basics for each country you pass through. If you say Gracias , rather than Obrigado, ( thankyou ), in Portugal , You will be liable to find you measure of brandy will be reduced.

moonshadow
25-04-2016, 13:27

You will find loads of places to stop in Spain, we have just come back. We preferred the less populated south west corner. We saw very few British vans. If you talk to people at aires and wild spots they will most likely point you in the direction of some good places to stay. Portugal is lovely too, but north of Lisbon is somewhat chilly at this time of the year. Wild camps are plentiful, except the Algarve where we heard many tales of people being moved on and threatened with fines. Enjoy.

snowbirds
25-04-2016, 13:51
Hi Ed,

You don't need plans or destinations just the open road and see where it takes you.We done the Hook of Holland last June for seven weeks through Holland, Germany and up to Denmark all great country's to visit,then down through France and in to Spain in October for three months.The year before was France, Spain, Gibraltar,and Portugal.
We just book a one way Ferry or Train about a month before we go.Since retiring in 2011 we have done 30,000 miles in Europe but the car left at home has only done 10,000 miles since I bought it in 2012 so get going before you get to old and the insurance gets sky high.

Regards Snowbirds.:dance::sleep-040:

Ed on Toast
26-04-2016, 08:04
I think that freedoms to just go with the wind, sounds fantastic but after many years of meticulous planning, I will need some time to relax my own mind, lol :lol-061:

But i am looking forward to beginning that process

I am off to work in Birmingham for teh next three days than will drive down Friday evening to Hereford and join the Wild Campers meet there, to continue my education :idea-007:

kenspain
26-04-2016, 08:24
Hi Ed,

OK the Snowbirds are up but resting since the last trip and preparing the van for the next run to the SUN.:lol-053::lol-053:

Regards Snowbirds.

IT

Dont forget to order your visa if we come out of the EU :lol-049::lol-049::lol-049::lol-049:

snowbirds
26-04-2016, 08:56
Hi Kenspain.

If it all goes wrong I will be over to hide in your Orange grove,Nice to see you back on here.

Snowbirds.:drive::drive:

Dont forget to order your visa if we come out of the EU :lol-049::lol-049::lol-049::lol-049:

kenspain
26-04-2016, 09:05
Hi Kenspain.

If it all goes wrong I will be over to hide in your Orange grove,Nice to see you back on here.

Snowbirds.:drive::drive:

They where talking on the Spanish tv about what they will do if the UK leaves the EU silly bloody things they came up with.:idea-007::idea-007:

Pauljenny
26-04-2016, 09:30
They where talking on the Spanish tv about what they will do if the UK leaves the EU silly bloody things they came up with.:idea-007::idea-007:

At the risk of going off topic....

Yes , what will they do if all those polite ,well educated young Spaniards, working in menial UK jobs
, suddenly have to come back home .... onto a shrinking jobs market... Ditto Portugal.

Who will replace them in the UK....The British, drugged-up, mindless ,tattooed Dole generation. ?

Now then, back to wild camping .

Do your homework, Ed . Loads of info on where to wild camp online ... Get yer Google finger out.

jennyp19
26-04-2016, 11:00
Just book a one way ferry, is the first step.

Ed on Toast
26-04-2016, 12:12
Hereford is the next step for me. To sit with teh wise owls and learn more :idea-007:

Lee
26-04-2016, 13:43
W have just spent 10 weeks travelling around Spain and the algarve and already planning next years trip.... Speak to Lee at Hereford- you won't miss him..... He's the one taking your money..

See you there.

Tezza33
26-04-2016, 15:46
I suppose I must be a fledgling snowbird? Looking forward to strengthening my wings inext year!:o

Ed on Toast
04-05-2016, 19:50
It was great to chat to many wise Euro-travellers over the weekend. Much learned, much more to learn but all very good. I am enjoying it all :)

Ed on Toast
03-10-2016, 16:28
Well, due to you folk, I have learned much over the summer and am tottering with the idea of winter in Spain/Portugal (December January) It would be great to know some others who are maybe going around the same time, some good places to stop etc...

Lee
03-10-2016, 16:55
Hi Ed
Linda and I are planning on heading to Spain / Portugal in early January.
My thoughts are to go Calais/Dunkirk then head down to Spain going around the top of the Pyrenees then dropping across Spain to probably Valencia and from there just take it as it comes probably ending up in Portugal, coming back late March.
As you can see not a lot of planning done so far and probably not a lot more before we get there.

Ed on Toast
03-10-2016, 18:01
Nice, alas my window is December January this year but i hope you have a great time

POI Admin
03-10-2016, 18:48
I am catching the ferry to Bilbao arriving on the morning of 29th December.

I plan to head anti-clockwise round the coast, through Portugal, and then along the southern and eastern coasts of Spain (with a number of inland detours en route).

My return to England will be during April via France ...

rugbyken
03-10-2016, 19:46
Although in northern Spain at the moment having spent a fortnight in France we are planning to drop down through Portugal to the algarve via the barragems over the next month returning end of November we will be coming out again early January for a further 14 weeks only plan in that is the wonderfull wine festival in Blaye mid April will dictate the return dates , Mike mykcamper has shown us where Narniacis so hope to call there!!! I know of 8 members already planning to be down there January February do we need a mini meet???

Ed on Toast
03-10-2016, 19:52
Narniacis ???

POI Admin
03-10-2016, 19:54
Narniacis ???

+1

rugbyken
03-10-2016, 20:36
Snowbird Narniacis bloody spellcheck Narnia is a free parking Nr A beach and an enterprising local bar owner supply's evening meal and cooked breakfast for 10

POI Admin
03-10-2016, 20:40
Snowbird Narniacis bloody spellcheck Narnia is a free parking Nr A beach and an enterprising local bar owner supply's evening meal and cooked breakfast for 10

Sorry, but I can't locate that either ... more details please :D

iampatman
03-10-2016, 20:45
We're in Leon tonight, then to Braganca, Barragem do Caldeirao, Villa Vella de Rodao, Terrugem, Messejana, Sao Rafael to meet old friends then a few days across Spain via Cadiz, Granada, Almeria and finally to Bolnuevo for the winter. Well, that's the plan anyway but we all know about "plans".

Have a great time wherever you all go.

Pat

carol
03-10-2016, 21:15
We're in Leon tonight, then to Braganca, Barragem do Caldeirao, Villa Vella de Rodao, Terrugem, Messejana, Sao Rafael to meet old friends then a few days across Spain via Cadiz, Granada, Almeria and finally to Bolnuevo for the winter. Well, that's the plan anyway but we all know about "plans".

Have a great time wherever you all go.

Pat

Are you full timing Pat? Certainly seems that way... 😊

rugbyken
04-10-2016, 07:28
Aduanus just below Denia but above Javea n38.7691 E 00.11303 don't have name of bar or anything else other than you can get LPG near there and both lidl & aldi nearby
It is probably the one with similar coordinates on the poi map

Pauljenny
04-10-2016, 07:44
We're on the afternoon ferry to Caen,on the 11th October.
Breezing south until we expect to reach our cottage on the Eastern Algarve,perhaps 2 weeks later... Unless the weather en route is crap, in which case,we'll get a move on .

Gizza shout if we can be of any assistance, or you feel the need to buy us a drink.

POI Admin
04-10-2016, 13:06
Aduanus just below Denia but above Javea n38.7691 E 00.11303 don't have name of bar or anything else other than you can get LPG near there and both lidl & aldi nearby
It is probably the one with similar coordinates on the poi map

The coordinates you give aren't correct ...

Is this the place perhaps?

Google Maps (https://goo.gl/maps/D6V69NQR8B72)

iampatman
04-10-2016, 13:38
Are you full timing Pat? Certainly seems that way... 😊

Hi Carol,

We're trying to! If the letting agents pulled their finger out and found us some tenants and providing this daft bloody brexit vote doesn't mean a green card for the insurance and limited stay in EU countries. Meanwhile we're off to Spain again for the winter while we still can.

Pat

Pauljenny
04-10-2016, 13:44
Just to say thanks,Pat, for keeping us on touch.
Have a good trip.

POI Admin
05-10-2016, 19:21

Bump :D

rugbyken
08-10-2016, 18:38
Don't really know these were the coordinates I was given by mykcamper not been there myself will tell you about the end of january

Ed on Toast
09-10-2016, 04:40
Ken has given us all more of an idea about the location of Narnia that we have ever been given before.

The small fact that to co-ords and not correct, is just part of the mystery of Narnia.

If you need to know more, log off, open your wardrobe and ask the Lion :)

yorkslass
09-10-2016, 07:16
Ken has given us all more of an idea about the location of Narnia that we have ever been given before.

The small fact that to co-ords and not correct, is just part of the mystery of Narnia.

If you need to know more, log off, open your wardrobe and ask the Lion :)

Mind it don't leap out and nip your bum!!!!;)

spigot
09-10-2016, 09:27
Just book a one way ferry, is the first step.

Turn right at Calais is the next step!

spigot
09-10-2016, 10:18

I don't think that's the place Chris, we normally stay at 38.769829 0.189686 near the Arenal beach & Scallops restaurant. But Taylor-Wimpey have bought the old fairground & are about to build apartments, which could put the kybosh on MHs, we overnighted there in May & it was OK.

POI Admin
09-10-2016, 12:25
I don't think that's the place Chris, we normally stay at 38.769829 0.189686 near the Arenal beach & Scallops restaurant. But Taylor-Wimpey have bought the old fairground & are about to build apartments, which could put the kybosh on MHs, we overnighted there in May & it was OK.

Thanks for the information. This spot is in the Iberia POIs - let's hope it continues to be usable.

POI Admin
09-10-2016, 12:27
I know of 8 members already planning to be down there January February do we need a mini meet???

Me included ...

A mini meet sounds a good idea :D

Suggestions for a venue?

spigot
09-10-2016, 13:43
Me included ...

A mini meet sounds a good idea :D

Suggestions for a venue?

I can't think of a better place than Cullera, 39.155334 -0.241870, just south of Valencia, we met mykcamper here earlier in the year, it's a vast area & wouldn't get crowded, even if loads of vans turned up.

There's also a good tapas bar in town, beer 1.5 euros per pint!. Cassette emptying, supermarkets not far. Water can be a problem, we fetched it from a nearby park but it was a good walk.

We'll be there Jan/Feb.

Dogeared
09-10-2016, 15:28
The boss has decided that we are going to Spain about then, but she prefers joining up with other motorhomrrs from time to time rather than just going solo, so a mini meet would sound good.

Baz

POI Admin
09-10-2016, 17:36
I can't think of a better place than Cullera, 39.155334 -0.241870, just south of Valencia, we met mykcamper here earlier in the year, it's a vast area & wouldn't get crowded, even if loads of vans turned up.

There's also a good tapas bar in town, beer 1.5 euros per pint!. Cassette emptying, supermarkets not far. Water can be a problem, we fetched it from a nearby park but it was a good walk.

We'll be there Jan/Feb.

Looks like a good suggestion to me ...

Would you like to start a thread in Meets/Gatherings so we can get an idea who might turn up and when?

POI Admin
09-10-2016, 17:38
The boss has decided that we are going to Spain about then, but she prefers joining up with other motorhomrrs from time to time rather than just going solo, so a mini meet would sound good.

Baz

Well as I mentioned before, I'm going to be in Spain from 29th December for around 3 months ...

Maybe those going could exchange mobile numbers/emails to keep in touch?

5andy
09-10-2016, 18:00
We will be in the general area January/ February. We planned to leave Benidorn mid January and head south but are happy to be flexible. It would be great to join a mimi meet if possible but it would depend on the date. Happy to share my phone number.
5andy.

Dogeared
09-10-2016, 18:07
Like the idea of exchanging detail. Being a bit of a numpty, what is the easiest way to exchange numbers etc securely. Is it best just to pm members who are on this thread.

Baz

Ed on Toast
09-10-2016, 18:14
I am trying to build enough bottle in the bottle bank to venture South December January. It is just a case of seeing it it is Cornwall or the Costas

POI Admin
09-10-2016, 18:42
Like the idea of exchanging detail. Being a bit of a numpty, what is the easiest way to exchange numbers etc securely. Is it best just to pm members who are on this thread.

Baz

Well if Spigot would like to be the central point of contact, seeing as 'twas he/she that suggested a location, I'm happy to PM my details ...

POI Admin
09-10-2016, 18:43
I am trying to build enough bottle in the bottle bank to venture South December January. It is just a case of seeing it it is Cornwall or the Costas

Go on - go for it!

Ed on Toast
09-10-2016, 18:56
It is a big step, as I am a newbie and solo traveller, in my first camper but maybe this proposed thread will help me take the leap, so to speak

POI Admin
09-10-2016, 19:00
It is a big step, as I am a newbie and solo traveller, in my first camper but maybe this proposed thread will help me take the leap, so to speak

I'm a solo traveller too, with my two Lurchers as companions. Not a newbie though, and I've been to the south of France for the past three Winters.

Iberia will be a new experience :D

5andy
09-10-2016, 19:09
Its our first time in Spain, in a motorhome, too.
5andy

kenspain
09-10-2016, 20:06

We'll be there Jan/Feb.

I would make sure that you can get in there i was fishing down there last month and the boat owner said that they were going to stop all the motorhomes parking due to all the complaints from the locals and from the owners of the flats.

spigot
09-10-2016, 20:55
Looks like a good suggestion to me ...

Would you like to start a thread in Meets/Gatherings so we can get an idea who might turn up and when?

Chris, I couldn't organise a p*ss-up in a brewery & I hate to be nailed down to a time & place, if the weather is crap, we will be heading further south & Morocco,

I only suggested Cullera as it could be the ideal location for a meet.

I think the best thing to do is keep in touch through the forum when we're all down there.

spigot
09-10-2016, 21:20
I would make sure that you can get in there i was fishing down there last month and the boat owner said that they were going to stop all the motorhomes parking due to all the complaints from the locals and from the owners of the flats.

Ken, you're an old killjoy, a harbinger of doom.

Many times over the last 4 years you've said it was impossible to overnight in the Alicante area, but I've stayed there with no problems at all.

At Cullera there can be several hundred motorhomes there in high season, if the authorities put the block on it, the local traders & bar owners would revolt.

carol
09-10-2016, 21:28
But remember, his son is a cop! 😊

Deleted user 48797
09-10-2016, 21:42
We will be in the general area January/ February. We planned to leave Benidorn mid January and head south but are happy to be flexible. It would be great to join a mimi meet if possible but it would depend on the date. Happy to share my phone number.
5andy.

I imagine lots of people will be leaving Benidorm now the night life is not the same...
Bd..

kenspain
10-10-2016, 06:51
Ken, you're an old killjoy, a harbinger of doom.

Many times over the last 4 years you've said it was impossible to overnight in the Alicante area, but I've stayed there with no problems at all.

At Cullera there can be several hundred motorhomes there in high season, if the authorities put the block on it, the local traders & bar owners would revolt.

Thats it I am out out of here, only Put that on because i did not want a lot of you turning up and could not park

kenspain
10-10-2016, 06:54
But remember, his son is a cop! 😊

My son by the way as help many van owners when i have ask for help not.

rugbyken
10-10-2016, 09:39
Don't throw your toys out the pram ken I'm sure you've had bigger insults face to face , apart from your weather statements sending us green with envy lots have appreciated your advice and the viewpoint of your sons official role,
There have been several incidents in particular in Portugal where locals have complained about parking and managed to get it stopped only for traders to get it overturned, in the 7/8 years we have been going south we have noticed the increase in vans and this year in particular there are dozens more French vans staying away from North Africa flooding Aires,
The problem is that where there is no control someone will always take the p*** , while most of us live by the maxim take away only memories leave only tyre tracks , others will block the seafront for months with awnings out or crap in the dunes etc and wonder why one day the facility disappears , the paradox is that as a wild camper I want to be parked up in an isolated spot enjoying the views but in reality we end up with vans strung nose to tail along a beach road or blocking locals favourite spots, then as in Portugal the local council takes control provides a camping spot normally quite reasonable prices and bans all other parking , but the aire is likely to be on an industrial estate or somewhere equally as unattractive.

carol
10-10-2016, 09:45
My son by the way as help many van owners when i have ask for help not.

I'm sure he has Ken, it was a joke as you usually tell us that he is 😊

spigot
10-10-2016, 13:29
I must admit Ken does have a valid point.

In Cullera, behind the dunes there is a vast area that can accommodate hundreds of motorhomes & still not look crowded. But you still get some idiots (mainly Dutch, German & French) who make a point of staying on the seafront right underneath the apartment blocks. Of course the residents are going to get the hump.

It is these idiots who will eventually spoil it for the rest of us, I don't think it will happen for a few years, but I may be wrong.

Gee
29-10-2016, 15:08
Ferry booked for 9th November and looking forward to my second Iberian winter.
Last winter I bounced all over Spain, Portugal and Morocco covering 15000 miles in 8 month, wilding everywhere apart from my month in Morocco (only to accidentally format my phones sd card, losing all my maps, routes and stops). This one wanting to be more settled, maybe a couple month in each place, if I can find the right (and cheap enough) sites with a bit of wilding in between.
Hopefully this year I'll bump into a few more of you as last winter I only met one other member on my travels, but then again I was off the beaten track for most of it.

Gee
22-11-2016, 22:52
With all the talk of Cullera dunes/river being closed down, all is fine. Loads of vans, police doing the rounds no problemo. Weather is pants though. So is the mini meet still on?

Pauljenny
23-11-2016, 08:29
We are settled down in The East Algarve . After 5 months full-time in the van, we are taking it easy.

The weather is quite fair, for late November. We've had a little light rain, mainly overnight , but can be out and about in shorts and sandals.

We'll probably head south to Cadiz, for a while , if the weather is poor in January.

Give us a shout if you are East of Faro.

What have you decided Ed ?

carol
23-11-2016, 08:37
Hi all, I'm planning to go mid January and more than happy to share phone number and meet up as I don't want to be on my ownio all the time! In fact, although I've travelled round France on my own, the thought of doing it in Spain I find a bit daunting to the point where I keep getting cold feet. I need some chivvying! 😄

jacquigem
23-11-2016, 08:47
Hi all, I'm planning to go mid January and more than happy to share phone number and meet up as I don't want to be on my ownio all the time! In fact, although I've travelled round France on my own, the thought of doing it in Spain I find a bit daunting to the point where I keep getting cold feet. I need some chivvying! 😄

Go Carol you wont regret it spain is different to France

grath
23-11-2016, 08:52

Carol, consider Algarve Portugal. The weather might not be quite as good as south Spain, but it will be much better than France.
I think you will feel more at ease as English spoken everywhere, and some good cheap M/H specific aires!

spigot
23-11-2016, 10:12
With all the talk of Cullera dunes/river being closed down, all is fine. Loads of vans, police doing the rounds no problemo. Weather is pants though. So is the mini meet still on?

We'll be down there mid Jan.

iampatman
23-11-2016, 11:09

Hi Carol,

Consider yourself chivvied!!

Pat

5andy
24-11-2016, 08:29
Our.plans have changed a bit but we will definitely be in Benidorm until the 17th Jan then hanging around somewhere looking for the sun for the last two weeks in January, probably heading south. Happy to meet up at some point.
5andy

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS