PDA

View Full Version : Brompton fold up bike

carol
15-05-2016, 13:21
Anyone got one? Are they worth the money?

invalid
15-05-2016, 13:37
Hard to believe that any fold up bike can be worth that amount of dosh, Ebay £50 = £150 goes a long way. Got my other half one from the dump for £5 and she’s very happy with it, save your money and spend it on something more important.:cheers:

carol
15-05-2016, 13:59
Hard to believe that any fold up bike can be worth that amount of dosh, Ebay £50 = £150 goes a long way. Got my other half one from the dump for £5 and she’s very happy with it, save your money and spend it on something more important.:cheers:

I need a bike but haven't got the space to store one at home so a folding one would be great. I want a decent one and this has a good reputation. I'd like to know from anyone who's forked out for one if they regret it or not.

n brown
15-05-2016, 14:14
my daughter's tightwad boyfriend bought one for a grand and was well chuffed. when she kicked him out i sold it for her for £600 and the lady doctor who bought was really pleased to get one in as new condition for that price. i found it folded up and down quite easily too

flyinghigh
15-05-2016, 14:16
yes I have one that I brought second hand, very good quality and fold down to a relatively small package for transport,
I fly a small aircraft as a hobby and as most airfields are miles from nowhere it's ideal to get around on,
it's been all around Europe and Scandinavia and allowed me to visit places that weren't walkable,
mine is a six speed and folds easily once you got the knack,

My Motorhome has a large garage so I use a normal size bike instead of the Brompton because the larger wheels and extra gears (21) make long range touring easier, but I have used the Brompton for 30 mile trips when needed, you just need to keep a careful lookout for potholes if riding in this country,
Europe has many designated cycle ways so are never a problem,

oppy
15-05-2016, 14:53

Got one for my missus free off Freegle

carol
15-05-2016, 15:46
Got one for my missus free off Freegle

Well, that was a lucky fluke! Is it worth the the money then, Oppy? ��

PinkFlowerPetal
15-05-2016, 16:58
Anyone got one? Are they worth the money?

I have been thinking about getting a Brompton, I already have a fold up aluminium frame bike, but still find it heavy to lift in and out of the van on my own. I think the Brompton is one of the lightest ones, but they are very expensive, not sure that I can justify it.

Thank you Carol for asking the question, I will be interested in the answers.

x

channa
15-05-2016, 18:41
There are cheaper alternatives for sure, Brompton you do pay for the name, but perhaps for good reason ? Pashley are possibly direct competitors if you can find one.

Channa

oppy
15-05-2016, 18:52
Well, that was a lucky fluke! Is it worth the the money then, Oppy? ��

I reckon its more than doubled in value in the 18 months we've had it :wacko::wacko::wacko:

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS