PDA

View Full Version : France Passion

Belgian
11-03-2009, 22:00
The new France Passion booklet 2009 is out.
Now more than 1400 winegrowers, farmers and craftsmen in France are welcoming us motorhomers for free.
http://www.france-passion.com/
Reccomendable :)

Solwaybuggier
11-03-2009, 22:48
Ours arrived by post today - can't wait until we go in June!

It was brilliant last year in Alsace - although we've never bought so much (and such good) wine. (Or should that be because we've never bought so much (and such good) wine?)

channa
29-04-2009, 22:48
I left England last year before I could join but stopped on a couple of commercial aires that turned out to be part of France Passion.

The best by far IMHO was in Monbazillac near Bergerac in the Dordogne.

Jean and his son Fabrice wernt too bothered by the one night rule.

I ended up picking grapes for them in October... Has a thank you we had a big BBQ. Jean brought me Ricard disguised as Monbazillac an anti wife measure he told me.

Fantastic people, Fantastic experience that you could never book in a travel agents.

Channa

zippybo
21-08-2009, 10:26
Hi guys
I'm off on my first trip in my van to France next week, and I'm so excited:)

Was wondering if anyone can give me any pointers/feedback/suggestions on the France Passion sites? I'm doing a bit of an unplanned open road adventure, but had in mind to start from Roscoff, and head along Brittany/the West Coast

I'm a member of France Passion and have the Aires guide at hand, but wondered if any folks have already visited these areas and if so, perhaps you could helpfully share any useful tips and experiences :)

Happy Wilding Folks

nowadays
21-08-2009, 10:44
Have an amazing, safe and exciting adventure Zippybo :):):)
P.S The only tip I can contribute is 'don't lick armpits on a hot day';)

lufcdave7
21-08-2009, 11:31
Hi guys
I'm off on my first trip in my van to France next week, and I'm so excited:)

Was wondering if anyone can give me any pointers/feedback/suggestions on the France Passion sites? I'm doing a bit of an unplanned open road adventure, but had in mind to start from Roscoff, and head along Brittany/the West Coast

I'm a member of France Passion and have the Aires guide at hand, but wondered if any folks have already visited these areas and if so, perhaps you could helpfully share any useful tips and experiences :)

Happy Wilding Folks

Hi Zippybo,
We have just returned from a four week trip to France. During that time we either wild camped in some great places or stayed on the French Aires (only where they were free, and most are)
We took with us the 2009 French Passion having joined just before we left. To be honest we struggled to find them and only stayed on one the whole trip. You feel obliged to buy product from them and end up paying for things you don't really want or need (6 euro for a jar of honey for example)
Being a tight Yorkshire man give me the free French Aires any time they're GREAT!
Quick story, we stayed on one Aire where electric was 5 euros for 24hrs, none of the French vans were plugged in so we didn't bother. At 7pm a woman turned up for the money, at 7.10pm she left, not to return for 24hrs. The minute she left all the French vans got their cables out and there was a mad scrambled for the lecky...they're not daft the French...neither are we now!

grath
22-08-2009, 16:01
Hi Zippybo,
We have just returned from a four week trip to France. During that time we either wild camped in some great places or stayed on the French Aires (only where they were free, and most are)
We took with us the 2009 French Passion having joined just before we left. To be honest we struggled to find them and only stayed on one the whole trip. You feel obliged to buy product from them and end up paying for things you don't really want or need (6 euro for a jar of honey for example)
Being a tight Yorkshire man give me the free French Aires any time they're GREAT!
Quick story, we stayed on one Aire where electric was 5 euros for 24hrs, none of the French vans were plugged in so we didn't bother. At 7pm a woman turned up for the money, at 7.10pm she left, not to return for 24hrs. The minute she left all the French vans got their cables out and there was a mad scrambled for the lecky...they're not daft the French...neither are we now!

Hi Zippybo, spot on my friend we have seen the same things and they don't like to pay for water either. Mind you neither do I as I never did pay as always found a tap:D
Emptied the toilet where you should and on a couple of occasions I used the grey water to rinse out.

veletron
24-08-2009, 11:04
Hi

A solar panel is the key to avoiding having to hook-up. I fitted a 130W panel before we headed to France for three weeks, it generated more juice each day than we could have ever used. Cost 450 from ebay, and was easily fitted in a couple of hours.

We parked up at the Chamonix Aire and got the cable car up, which passes over the Aire, about 50% of the 100+ vans parked at the Aire had a solar panel fitted.

The French Aires are superb - never had any trouble at them. I wish the UK was more enlightened to the benifits that they can bring to local businesses.

Nigel

grath
24-08-2009, 17:20
I carry a geny, but as we move around every couple of days we never need to use it (except for ladies hair things);) as the batteries are always pretty full

guerdeval
24-08-2009, 17:39
I don't think there will be that many local businesses left if people keep stealing the electricity:)

snowthunder
21-05-2010, 13:34
Hi guys, heading off this summer for the 5th year in a row. Going up round Alscace for the first time, has any1 any nice places/campsites etc to suggest? Ive spent most of my previous time touring round the south of france, so if any1 wants a few heads up, let me know.:)

Mastodon
21-05-2010, 20:52
ANd don't forget Ars Vivendi... similar system but Belgian and more beer orientated :D

mountainsandheather
22-05-2010, 06:26
Hi Belgian, just wondering if there's a good selection of crafts and cheeses (and other homemade stuff) apart from wine producers ? We're not that big into wine hubby and I, so if it's 90% wine producers on the scheme it won't be much use to us... I think it's a brilliant idea, I'd have no problem discovering and buying stuff in return for the experience, but I'd rather have my selection of cheeses and honey than the old vino :D.
(and I'm French, what a disgrace :o)
I know, really need to get a grip :p

tissy
23-05-2010, 06:15
Hi
We have just got our copy and intend to go to the Ardeche region for the first time ,really in to wine/food
Any ideas or thoughts

magbrin
23-05-2010, 21:34
I am interested, too, in people's experiences. However there seems to be reluctance - looking at this thread and on other forums - to give helpful information about particular participating France Passion places. If anyone can recommend any that they have used - we have paid up for 2010 and we will chose them for their produce and will not feel intimidated into buying as by choice we are likely to want to buy - I am particularly interested in places down the West coast from Cherbourg to the Spanish border. Wine is a passion, but cheese, fruit and most other food is almost as important to us:D

BTW we are happy for visitors to stay (free) on our nursery, near Inverness, and DO NOT expect people to buy, although we are obviously delighted if they do:D

vindiboy
24-05-2010, 16:22
I joined and used France Passion a few years ago, found the sites hard to find and often up very narrow lanes with bad signage, always felt obliged to buy the products of the Passioner ,and never really felt comfortable on the sites, so it's Aires for me, much more free and easy, France Passion have sent me the maps of the locations ever since though and I have not paid them any money since my first subscription.:):)

hot shots
03-06-2010, 16:57
Hi, this is interesting to me as a new member planning a trip to France soon. Is there any kind of Map or Website that shows where the french Aires are? Or are they only on Motorways? - ( which we tend to avoid) Thanks....

neilmac
03-06-2010, 17:19
Hi, this is interesting to me as a new member planning a trip to France soon. Is there any kind of Map or Website that shows where the french Aires are? Or are they only on Motorways? - ( which we tend to avoid) Thanks....

There are various books and internet sources about aires - not the motorway ones!

We have reviews of quite a few on our website (http://www.clubmotorhome.co.uk/articles/reviews/motorhome-sites/content-map.html) (its subscription though ;)) and we mostly use 'All the Aires' produced by Vicarious Books.

Hope this helps

Nosha
03-06-2010, 18:14
Our friends gave up with FP as many sites were very small and in mid summer EVERY site they tried to book/visit was full!

However it does seem looking at some of the contributions on this thread they were a tad unlucky, but it stopped us from joining.

jacm
18-06-2010, 13:31
Hi, I am new to this site and have read this thread with interest... we have used france passion now for about 4 years with 2 or 3 visits to france each year.... and have had great experiences. Almost all of the people we have met have been extremely friendly (with one or two seeming to think we should buy from them - but by no means all!) and hospitable. Occasional ones have been difficult to find but then this means they are usually off the beaten track - which we like. Many have offered to let us stay multiple nights and we have even had electric from some sites. We have mainly used them in Normandy, Brittany, Champagne region, Burgandy and Loire Valley. We have two lively children who have also been made welcome and have learnt much from the hosts. I would whole heartedly recommend at least trying them.

Elle
28-08-2010, 14:44
My family and I are visiting France the first week in October 2010. We are looking to travel from Dover to either Calais or Boulougne in the motorhome. We have joined the France Passion scheme this year and was hoping to use them in the Normandy/Brittany/Loire/Champagne regions. Can anyone recommend any that they have stayed at in any of these regions please.

Thanks

Elle

John Thompson
28-08-2010, 21:28
My family and I are visiting France the first week in October 2010. We are looking to travel from Dover to either Calais or Boulougne in the motorhome. We have joined the France Passion scheme this year and was hoping to use them in the Normandy/Brittany/Loire/Champagne regions. Can anyone recommend any that they have stayed at in any of these regions please.

Thanks

Elle

Brittany
Near Cleden-Cap-Sizun, Cap' Helix Escargots at N 48 03.071 W 004 34.345. Had tour of the site and bought some snails in Garlic Butter?

Frehel, Just outside of the village of Sainte-Aide. Le Ferme du Moulin de Tertre-Morgan, a goat farm and cheese maker. We were able to watch the goats being milked and half an hour later we were able to buy 2 litres of fresh goats milk.

John

Elle
29-08-2010, 09:42
Brittany
Near Cleden-Cap-Sizun, Cap' Helix Escargots at N 48 03.071 W 004 34.345. Had tour of the site and bought some snails in Garlic Butter?

Frehel, Just outside of the village of Sainte-Aide. Le Ferme du Moulin de Tertre-Morgan, a goat farm and cheese maker. We were able to watch the goats being milked and half an hour later we were able to buy 2 litres of fresh goats milk.

John
Thankyou! They both sound great (even the snails in garlic butter!), we like the idea of buying the local produce also. Starting my list of recommendations now so anyone feel free to get involved if theyve used FP in any of the regions that Ive stated.

Thanks

Elle

OwnedbyCollies
16-10-2010, 17:30
Thought I might resurrect this thread!

The current thread on 'a Few French Aires' is very informative and I'd like to find out about peoples experiences of France Passion sites. We only stayed on one this year but would be keen to use them more. Personal recommendations really help and photographs are a real bonus!!!

So heres my one and only contribution...

Angora goat farm 'La Brosse' at La Chapelle Blanche Saint Martin (page 224 FP 10) south of Tours. Parked in the courtyard of the farm. Warm welcome from three generations of the same family and a tour of the goats and the wool shop / craft room. Madame was very passionate about her wool, spinning and knitting, and even showed me samples of wool spun from border collie hair!!

.......OK OK OK .... guess what ...... I just had to buy some mohair wool!!!!!!

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS