PDA

View Full Version : Giving it all up - Your thoughts ?

Herbenny
30-05-2016, 08:23
After much talks in the last six months and many changes in our lives we are seriously thinking of selling our motorhome next spring.
As my business has taken off and Paul is away a lots through his work we feel we aren't getting the use out of the van and the cost and outlay of Paul taking it back and forth to work is getting too costly. Our son is getting married abroad next year so I know we wont be able to afford to get away in the long term as we are saving like mad.

We are planning on getting Paul a small work van and buying a state of the art tent (we have seen one that is perfect) so we can still enjoy the outdoors as and when and still hopefully attend the odd meet now and then.

I feel sad but I feel its the most practical decision for now and its not to say that we wont ever go back to a camper van in the future.

yorkieowl
30-05-2016, 08:52
Hiya Jac, Only you can answer that question, like you say you can always buy another one in the future, and if it's not being used its a big expense. We may be following suit in the near future, we are using it regularly at present, but things are possibly going to change in the not too distant future. I wish you all the best in whatever you choose. xx

n brown
30-05-2016, 09:01
HiJac,was only wondering about you yesterday . personally i have rarely been without a camper of some sort for most of my adult life ,and get really fidgety if it's not here or not working, knowing i can't just shoot off whenever i want ! even if it's just to the seaside for breakfast and a change of scene.
but you have to do what you have to do. good luck to you both !

Herbenny
30-05-2016, 09:26
Its such a difficult decision to make ..but we will still have a van of some sort, even if it is a work van for Paul and still have the Berlingo too which has been a great buy so either could be kitted out for the time being.

Another reason too is that age where we want to hammer away at the mortgage so it gives us the freedom to decide what next in the future. I still daydream about full timing one day :)

Our grandson is due in a matter of weeks and I know that I will want to introduce him to camping from the off so we do have plans to still camp even if it is tent camping. The tent we have seen is like the 'Taj Mahal' of tents, we are waiting for the end of season sale to see if we can get a good deal on it as its pricey.

I have loved this van so much .....I will be gutted to part with it so that's why we are thinking long and hard about it.

I still plan to be a part of the forum even though we will be tenters ....camping is camping after all :)

MORGANTHEMOON
30-05-2016, 09:31
Hi Jac,
I've just been through this dilemma with my van, we were not using it enough because of my treatment and it was stuck on the drive. My son has a static caravan overlooking the sea almost the same distance from the hospital as my home so we will spend most of the year there. I put off selling the camper and my wife let me sell it my own time as she knows how much I love it, I emptied it slowly over a few weeks and thought if I get a transplant I can buy another. It sold quite quickly and in the end I was glad it was gone. I fully inend to go back to it in the future. I miss the roaming and the meets and the nutters who attend them but things move on. I'm now practically living overlooking the sea with the seagulls waking me up in the morning and I love it. Get Paul to sell it and you can blame him then, lol.
Life is full of twists and turns, go with the flow, who knows what the future brings but don't stress yourself over it.
Glad to hear your business is working out.

Herbenny
30-05-2016, 09:47
Hi Jac,
I've just been through this dilemma with my van, we were not using it enough because of my treatment and it was stuck on the drive. My son has a static caravan overlooking the sea almost the same distance from the hospital as my home so we will spend most of the year there. I put off selling the camper and my wife let me sell it my own time as she knows how much I love it, I emptied it slowly over a few weeks and thought if I get a transplant I can buy another. It sold quite quickly and in the end I was glad it was gone. I fully inend to go back to it in the future. I miss the roaming and the meets and the nutters who attend them but things move on. I'm now practically living overlooking the sea with the seagulls waking me up in the morning and I love it. Get Paul to sell it and you can blame him then, lol.
Life is full of twists and turns, go with the flow, who knows what the future brings but don't stress yourself over it.
Glad to hear your business is working out.

Thanks Haydn...How are you ?? I hope things are going ok for you x
I didn't know you had sold your van ...but the alternative sounds great, it sounds perfect.
Yes your right you never know how life is going to change direction ...I'm enjoying my work so much and it doesn't feel like work so I am just going to see where it takes me.

I hope that your transplant happens soon and we see you out about again being your charming self :)

yorkslass
30-05-2016, 10:19
Thanks Haydn...How are you ?? I hope things are going ok for you x
I didn't know you had sold your van ...but the alternative sounds great, it sounds perfect.
Yes your right you never know how life is going to change direction ...I'm enjoying my work so much and it doesn't feel like work so I am just going to see where it takes me.

I hope that your transplant happens soon and we see you out about again being your charming self :)

Lucky indeed to be doing a job you enjoy.
You seemed to manage ok with the berlingo when you came to Rutland, last year.
Hard choice, though.
On a lighter note, look forward to your new bundle of fun. X

Herbenny
30-05-2016, 10:34
Lucky indeed to be doing a job you enjoy.
You seemed to manage ok with the berlingo when you came to Rutland, last year.
Hard choice, though.
On a lighter note, look forward to your new bundle of fun. X

Thanks Yorklass your right I did manage with the Berlingo at Rutland with the help of my friends :) in fact I enjoyed it a lot !!!!.....I have come on leaps and bounds since then too with my health as I decided that I needed to practice what I preached and got my health and wellbeing in alignment again....so much so I am doing a 10K run is September for a local Children's Hospice... erm confident ?? not quite yet ...:eek:

Like you say this will just be another new bundle of fun just under canvass....Least we have a head start on all the camping gear too :)

FULL TIMER
30-05-2016, 11:31
Getting rid of a van is never an easy decision, however if you have the Berlingo and are considering a tent why not combine the two, a slight fit out of the berlingo and one of these maybe the answer Caranex Car awnings, car tent - model range & price list (http://ri.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=A7x9UniPI0xXU2IAJmF3Bwx.;_ylu=X3oDMTByZWJ1c20 3BHNlYwNzcgRwb3MDMgRjb2xvA2lyMgR2dGlkAw--/RV=2/RE=1464636432/RO=10/RU=http%3a%2f%2fcaranex.com%2frangelist.html/RK=0/RS=Ag.yQSjBVzCL73r6CGk0AgM4dF4-)

andyjanet
30-05-2016, 12:46
Thanks Yorklass your right I did manage with the Berlingo at Rutland with the help of my friends :) in fact I enjoyed it a lot !!!!.....I have come on leaps and bounds since then too with my health as I decided that I needed to practice what I preached and got my health and wellbeing in alignment again....so much so I am doing a 10K run is September for a local Children's Hospice... erm confident ?? not quite yet ...:eek:

Like you say this will just be another new bundle of fun just under canvass....Least we have a head start on all the camping gear too :)

Hi Jac, Great to hear you still camping. do you have someone to run with janet and i do a bit of running 5k quite regular and the occaisional 7.5, shout out if you need some encouragement locally. andy

Herbenny
30-05-2016, 16:04
Hi Jac, Great to hear you still camping. do you have someone to run with janet and i do a bit of running 5k quite regular and the occaisional 7.5, shout out if you need some encouragement locally. andy

Hi Andy....The run is in Littlehampton in September ...When I say run, it may be a run/jog/power walk/desperate crawl ...who knows ...but I am in training so fingers crossed.

You would be more than welcome to come along if it is not too far for you that is ....There will be about twenty of us so far :)

It would be good to see you both :)

Jac x

ricc
30-05-2016, 16:08
if your buying a work van , why not get something thats big enough to sleep in , chuck in a pota potti and a gas cooker and your away .
ive got a lwb transit , about the biggest that will fit in a car park space , loadspace is a nominal ten foot , with racking behind the seats that takes the the two ring gas hob and the porta potti slides under, theres acres of room for a futon type arrangement in the back with storage under. once youve got things organised conversion from works van to tin tent with a comy bed doesnt take long.

if you can justify the van for work the camping financial investment is minimal ,

Herbenny
30-05-2016, 16:35
That's the plan Ricc :) ...we would keep all our camping gear in the back of it. For the odd longer trip we could use the tent and for the odd overnight we would use the van ...

Wheels is wheels I guess ....least we would still have options and the freedom to go anywhere.

campervanannie
01-06-2016, 03:17
You stick with your little van/car and a tent idea it means your not worrying about a MH rotting away on the drive and you still have the freedom as and when needed and when your head starts to buzz and you need the company of your mad friends you know how to find us and we will always be happy to help put the tent up at Greywell or elsewhere I still keep my tiny caravan for the time when I have to give up driving we will go back to towing that with a little car.
We bought a Doblo inspired by you at Rutland and I used it at a few meets while Snoopy was being repaired I had a great time in it.

Herbenny
01-06-2016, 06:07
Thanks Annie ....I knew I could count on you lot !!!! My nutty campers :lol-053:
Glad that we would still be welcome at meets even if it is under canvass ...we wont show you all up honest ! We both love the tipi style tent with the wood burning stove....very rustic, but not sure yet we may have to go down the more sensible route ..BORING !!!

We are thinking another Berlingo for Paul for work but much older than mine...that way we can just chuck everything in it. Its been the best car ever and so cheap to run.

Have you kitted out your Doblo yet ? Cant wait to see what you do with it....Iam sure it will be a mini version of snoopy :)

campervanannie
01-06-2016, 08:23
Thanks Annie ....I knew I could count on you lot !!!! My nutty campers :lol-053:
Glad that we would still be welcome at meets even if it is under canvass ...we wont show you all up honest ! We both love the tipi style tent with the wood burning stove....very rustic, but not sure yet we may have to go down the more sensible route ..BORING !!!

We are thinking another Berlingo for Paul for work but much older than mine...that way we can just chuck everything in it. Its been the best car ever and so cheap to run.

Have you kitted out your Doblo yet ? Cant wait to see what you do with it....Iam sure it will be a mini version of snoopy :)
I haven't kitted it out as its daily use as our car but I do have a futon that fits in the back and I have put curtain rails and curtains up a nd have a small gas cooker and a plastic box with all the crockery and pans for when Bill uses it. Everything is removable apart from the curtains but it was great fun at Whitwell in it but still prefer Snoopy.😎

snowbirds
02-06-2016, 17:53
Hi Jac,

I wish you luck with the change but I don't think you would get me back in a tent.The best compromise i looked at a few years ago was a De- mountable on a pick up so you get a work pick up and the fitted cabin for away days and only the need of one van.
But they do hold their value,so much that in the 1980s just before I set up my business I bought a old XJ6 and cut the boot and back out to the front seats and then just had to find a unit to fit it,but my business took off and it sat in the garage half done till i sold the house and scraped it,and some nights over a glass of wine i still dream of what the out come would have been. Good luck.

Snowbirds.

Hi Andy....The run is in Littlehampton in September ...When I say run, it may be a run/jog/power walk/desperate crawl ...who knows ...but I am in training so fingers crossed.

You would be more than welcome to come along if it is not too far for you that is ....There will be about twenty of us so far :)

It would be good to see you both :)

Jac x

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS