PDA

View Full Version : pensions ?

Polar Bear
14-06-2016, 08:35
Increase the State pension for our elderly people. | Campaigns by You (https://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/increase-the-state-pension-for-our-elderly-people?source=facebook-share-button&time=1465804353)

royh28
14-06-2016, 14:29
Signed and shared.

Enjoy, from Pauline and Roy. :boat:

harrow
14-06-2016, 16:07
Increase the State pension for our elderly people. | Campaigns by You (https://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/increase-the-state-pension-for-our-elderly-people?source=facebook-share-button&time=1465804353)

I hope to live long enough to receive mine !

Fazerloz
14-06-2016, 16:36
Me too

trevskoda
14-06-2016, 18:33
Private pensions are evil to ,i paid into mine beleaving i had a pot to lift of 20000,only to find out all i will get is 11 a mth,so i will have to live 60 years after i quit at 65 just to get back what i paid in,feken robbers.
Im on to the ombuds man im sure with little hope.

vwalan
14-06-2016, 18:43
Private pensions are evil to ,i paid into mine beleaving i had a poy to lift of 20000,only to find out all i will get is 11 a mth,so i will have to live 60 years after i quit at 65 just to get back what i paid in,feken robbers.

you never get the pot back . all you would ever get is the interest on the pot.
mind these days it can be better to cash it . take the money.
the trouble with pensions is when you die your family still cant get the pot . if you had just saved you wouldnt be that worse off and you or family can get at the pot.

maingate
14-06-2016, 20:59
Private pensions are evil to ,i paid into mine beleaving i had a poy to lift of 20000,only to find out all i will get is 11 a mth,so i will have to live 60 years after i quit at 65 just to get back what i paid in,feken robbers.

Like millions of others you fell for the biggest Con trick of all time. :(

Never believe 'The Man', trust your own instincts. My NCB Company Pension amounted to around 1 a week but I have just taken a one off final settlement and the Taxman wants his share of that. :D Luckily, everything else is in ISA's for me and the Wife, it's free of Income Tax on the Interest and readily available for the family when we peg out.

I have no worries about keeping it away from the Taxman (legally of course) because the Public have been royally ripped off with Pension schemes abetted by Politicians. When an ordinary worker gets a Pension with the sort of Benefits that an MP gets, I will have a change of heart.

trevskoda
14-06-2016, 21:05
you never get the pot back . all you would ever get is the interest on the pot.
mind these days it can be better to cash it . take the money.
the trouble with pensions is when you die your family still cant get the pot . if you had just saved you wouldnt be that worse off and you or family can get at the pot.

I ask them could i lift what i paid in as its my money,they said no though my wife got a letter from her ins co saying she could,someones telling me porkys.

harrow
14-06-2016, 21:11
Private pensions are evil to ,i paid into mine beleaving i had a pot to lift of 20000,only to find out all i will get is 11 a mth,so i will have to live 60 years after i quit at 65 just to get back what i paid in,feken robbers.

Trever something seems wrong I had to pay 5500 into a plan and I get back 15 a month after tax.

trevskoda
14-06-2016, 21:24
Trever something seems wrong I had to pay 5500 into a plan and I get back 15 a month after tax.
Yes i will have paid in 9000 to get 11 but when it was explained to me when i took it out i was shown a figure of 20000 which i took it i was going to get or a good pension each week which ever i decided on,now as you say im only going to get a few pounds each week ,so im never going to get back what i paid in.legal theft from the great unwashed.
Off to bed before i blow a gasket.

Polar Bear
15-06-2016, 06:14
Yes i will have paid in 9000 to get 11 but when it was explaned to me when i took it out i was shown a figure of 20000 which i took it i was going to get or a good pension each week which ever i decided on,now as you say im only going to get a few poinds each week ,so im never going to get back what i paid in.
If i had known this at start i would never entered into such a scam,ins is legal theft from the great unwashed.
Off to bed before i blow a gasket.

Where there is a blame there is a claim? If you feel you were miss-sold the policy you could get your money back. talk to a no win no fee firm of solicitors.

trevskoda
15-06-2016, 07:20
Where there is a blame there is a claim? If you feel you were miss-sold the policy you could get your money back. talk to a no win no fee firm of solicitors.

Thats my next step.

Tbear
15-06-2016, 07:34

But when they win, there will be a fee. I fear they are no better than his pension.

Richard

Tbear
15-06-2016, 07:40
Thats my next step.

Trev,

There is loads of free advise on the .guv websites. There is the ombudsman ( a word that scares the s**t out of a lot of these people) and as a last resort the small claims court have a mediation service which I have used and found excellent. Stay away from the ambulance chasers.

Good luck

Richard

Tbear
15-06-2016, 08:03
Wilhelm,

I don't think that there is a hope in hells chance of a good rise in pensions but you may be able get free TV licences and bus passes for the over sixties. That way they can afford to go out and get there shopping. It seems to be five pounds to get on a bus nowadays. A free basic broadband would be a good idea as well. Getting our elderly relatives to use the internet is impossible. If it was free, they just may give it a try. Much easier to keep an eye on them then. All these things are more difficult for unscrupulous relatives to abuse.

Richard

vwalan
15-06-2016, 09:20
Like millions of others you fell for the biggest Con trick of all time. :(

Never believe 'The Man', trust your own instincts. My NCB Company Pension amounted to around 1 a week but I have just taken a one off final settlement and the Taxman wants his share of that. :D Luckily, everything else is in ISA's for me and the Wife, it's free of Income Tax on the Interest and readily available for the family when we peg out.

I have no worries about keeping it away from the Taxman (legally of course) because the Public have been royally ripped off with Pension schemes abetted by Politicians. When an ordinary worker gets a Pension with the sort of Benefits that an MP gets, I will have a change of heart.

yes the tax man wants his share ,but remember you didnt pay tax on the earned money you put in ,in the first place . many forget this .
all pensions have been a bit of a rip off ever since they started . you never really ever get bck what you payed in .
as to govt pensions only the first pensioners gained after that every one else lost.
plus all though you may be paying alot in nhs charges only a small amount is going into your pension .
20 yrs ago i realized if i went traveling in the winter came back and worked for 6 months i could earn enough to have payed enough to have a payed up pension for that year.
also as i had been paying paye tax i signed a form saying i was going away and wouldnt be back till april i could almost claim all the tax back i had payed . that was a great help in going away .
think you had to earn about 7 grand back then . it was enough to pay a years pension fund and enough to get away with no tax . ideal.

wildman
15-06-2016, 10:16
on its own the basic OA Pension is not sufficient to live on, hence I am forced to continue working albeit part time at my own rate. Not everyone has occupational pensions and even when they do the oap is reduced because you have one, for those who have the option investment in rental property will provide a better return in the long run than a risky pension fund managed by goodness knows whom.

colinmd
15-06-2016, 10:37
At the moment I would guess there are very few ex PAYE pensioners on minimum pension, all I know are on considerably more. Those that are self employed and haven't made other arrangements to top up the pension
just haven't paid attention to their finances.

maingate
15-06-2016, 11:00
yes the tax man wants his share ,but remember you didnt pay tax on the earned money you put in ,in the first place . many forget this .
all pensions have been a bit of a rip off ever since they started . you never really ever get bck what you payed in .
as to govt pensions only the first pensioners gained after that every one else lost.
plus all though you may be paying alot in nhs charges only a small amount is going into your pension .
20 yrs ago i realized if i went traveling in the winter came back and worked for 6 months i could earn enough to have payed enough to have a payed up pension for that year.
also as i had been paying paye tax i signed a form saying i was going away and wouldnt be back till april i could almost claim all the tax back i had payed . that was a great help in going away .
think you had to earn about 7 grand back then . it was enough to pay a years pension fund and enough to get away with no tax . ideal.

I had no choice but to pay the basic Class 3 (or was it C?) Stamp because I was classed as 'Not normally Resident' as I worked abroad for a lot of years. I just got a letter from the Pensions Department telling me what I needed to pay for that particular year and I sent a cheque. I let a few years slip because at the time you could miss 5 years payment but still qualify for a full Pension.

I had a good Accountant and I worked free of UK Income Tax (and foreign Tax), so what I made, I kept. :lol-061:

The bonus on top of that was when I entered back into the UK PAYE system, I got big Tax rebates for the years I worked abroad and did not use my Personal Allowance ........... I told you he was a good Accountant. :bow:

vwalan
15-06-2016, 11:53
the tax man is usually your best friend . where as vat and customs can be not so nice .

Tezza
15-06-2016, 12:24
I was offered my ncb pension back last year. It was only a small one really. So worked out everything and I would have to live until I was 73 to dip out. So if I am still around when I'm 74 I will have made a mistake. As I am not married my partner wouldn't qualify for it as a mine workers widow. So I took it .....less the 20% that the goverment took. It was the best thing in my situation .i understand that everybodys situation is different.

trevskoda
15-06-2016, 20:50

What do you mean tax was not payed,my wage went into bank and the ins co took payment by direct d from it so i did pay tax on it.

vwalan
15-06-2016, 20:54
What do you mean tax was not payed,my wage went into bank and the ins co took payment by direct d from it so i did pay tax on it.

you should have been able to claim tax relief on pension payments .
or we could here .
mind possibly many didnmt do it . they should have done .

trevskoda
15-06-2016, 21:08
you should have been able to claim tax relief on pension payments .
or we could here .
mind possibly many didnmt do it . they should have done .

Yes but in those days no one was around to steer you in the right direction so the ins co dived on simple non educated hard workers like me & others and shafted us all.
Now day with internet and good advice they would not stand a chance of robbing folk blind with there skullduggery.:hammer::mad2:

oppy
15-06-2016, 21:14
I paid tax & ni all my working life and now enjoy basic pension plus a couple of (not asked for !!) add ons which give me 154 a week. My wife was a teacher, but through health problems had to retire some 20 odd years ago, so receives a very much reduced and taxed pension plus the state one. We have never been so well off. OK, so we have had to pull our horns in and very much adjust our lifestyle, but it's great. We have our van, we have you lot and we have a lovely family, more money would be great, but doing the best you can with what you've got is always the best way

Tbear
16-06-2016, 05:51
I have 3 small pensions. One from a private company, part of an Army pension and just over half an NHS pension. Because when I finished full time work from the NHS, they let me retire at 60 and take my pension. I can now go back to work as long as I don't earn more than I was before I retired and still get my pension, plus I do not have to give pension contributions so it would be easy for me to maintain my old salary. I don't as I prefer the huge increase in leisure time but do the odd morning for petrol money.

When I first took my pension I got a third in cash tax free. This reduced my monthly allowance but I would have to pay tax on that so it made sense to have as much as I could in an ISA earning interest. This would also give me an emergency fund. This was the advise from the pension people, the unions, the clever folk I work with (this does not include me :) ) and an accountant I new.

Richard

mandrake
16-06-2016, 07:20
I was offered my ncb pension back last year. It was only a small one really. So worked out everything and I would have to live until I was 73 to dip out. So if I am still around when I'm 74 I will have made a mistake. As I am not married my partner wouldn't qualify for it as a mine workers widow. So I took it .....less the 20% that the goverment took. It was the best thing in my situation .i understand that everybodys situation is different.

i took my mineworkers pension at 55 ok its not a fortune but it runs the car and pays a bill or two ,i reckon what i have had out over the last 9 years or so is much more than i contributed , so i am in front i suppose .and as i am married my wife will still be able to get a percentage if i go first .

trevskoda
16-06-2016, 13:40
I paid tax & ni all my working life and now enjoy basic pension plus a couple of (not asked for !!) add ons which give me 154 a week. My wife was a teacher, but through health problems had to retire some 20 odd years ago, so receives a very much reduced and taxed pension plus the state one. We have never been so well off. OK, so we have had to pull our horns in and very much adjust our lifestyle, but it's great. We have our van, we have you lot and we have a lovely family, more money would be great, but doing the best you can with what you've got is always the best way

154 a week old folk would drink more than that on a sat night,i would have thought 500 a week min just to get by on,i see people in asda spending 150 or more on shopping bill never mind drink electricity gas petrol ins tax plus 2/3 hols a year on cruise ships plus changing car every 2 years,we are all fecked by the looks of it.

yorkslass
16-06-2016, 13:48
154 a week old folk would drink more than that on a sat night,i would have thought 500 a week min just to get by on,i see people in asda spending 150 or more on shopping bill never mind drink electricity gas petrol ins tax plus 2/3 hols a year on cruise ships plus changing car every 2 years,we are all fecked by the looks of it.

I can see your not from Yorkshire Trev. My dad can cut a currant in half, then in half again.;)

vwalan
16-06-2016, 15:06
being a donny lad i can live quite easily on 154 quid and run my house 3 m,bikes the truck and go away for 5-6 months .
i do wonder with some folk ,a friend just brought me a bottle of vimto she did want it as its got sweeteners in it . bought in error . 1.59 quid . it certainly isnt 9 times better than same size bottle of cola from asda . might taste a bit nicer but not 9 times nicer .
i see folk spending fortunes ,you just cant help them they get annoyed if you say have you tried this its half the price etc . they seem to think top price is top quality.

harrow
16-06-2016, 19:24

Trevor,
you will have to tighten your belt.

We used to have take away's and have cooked breakfast in the pub, but those days have gone.

We have not had a holiday for the last 3 years.

What does frighten me is the way prices in the supermarket are going up.

But now I am retired we look at the food prices on the internet and shop around, you have to.

Life is not so bad, when I have a bad night if I am tired I sleep in longer in the morning.

I have nightmares nearly every night about work and as I wake up I remember those days are over, no tosser making my life a misery.

I have the hospital appointments now

and every morning when I wake up feeling reasonable I have a mug of tea

and feel glad that I have made another day !

You might not get a lot of pension but every day you will get a bit more out of them, another day another dollar !

trevskoda
16-06-2016, 21:16
Trevor,
you will have to tighten your belt.

We used to have take away's and have cooked breakfast in the pub, but those days have gone.

We have not had a holiday for the last 3 years.

What does frighten me is the way prices in the supermarket are going up.

But now I am retired we look at the food prices on the internet and shop around, you have to.

Life is not so bad, when I have a bad night if I am tired I sleep in longer in the morning.

I have nightmares nearly every night about work and as I wake up I remember those days are over, no tosser making my life a misery.

I have the hospital appointments now

and every morning when I wake up feeling reasonable I have a mug of tea

and feel glad that I have made another day !

You might not get a lot of pension but every day you will get a bit more out of them, another day another dollar !
I can shop on 20/25 a week if i go to asda ballyclare as fish and other foods are reduced to 10 pence which lasts 3 days in fridge,but car consumes at least 50/60 in fuel a week plus lecy heating oil rates 2 kids to bring up etc, i can manage but other folk seem to look at us saving & skimping as they throw caution to the wind and spend spend spend.
I have worked hard all my life only to be robed by ins co,thank hell i put some beyond prying eyes,now which floor board was it .:rolleyes2:

RoadTrek Boy
16-06-2016, 21:42
Trev, sorry to be the bringer of bad news, but white fives aren't any good now. :scared: :sad:

trevskoda
17-06-2016, 04:45
Trev, sorry to be the bringer of bad news, but white fives aren't any good now. :scared: :sad:

Well the mice seemed to have liked them ok.:scared:

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS