PDA

View Full Version : Skype Interviews

Wooie1958
20-06-2016, 18:23
This seems to be the way forward these days particularly in London.

Our son is looking for a new job having been with the same company now for 5 years and has advanced as far as he can within that organisation.

He`s having interviews with an American company who are setting up a new HQ in the centre of London and are recruiting IT / Networking staff.

Tonight he has his 5th interview for the job :scared: each one has been with a different person who are situated in different locations spread
across America and all of them have been conducted through Skype.

If he gets through this one the next and final one will be face to face in New York. They will fund all the travel and accommodation needed.

runnach
20-06-2016, 18:48
I have done two skype interviews, one for job in Muscat, the other, Jeddah. Unfortunately, their numbers were not favourable, however, both occasions had me tidy my home office ;)

I do see the point on this style of interview. Also good for meeting and, most our internal work calls, are via skype.

StevenJ
21-06-2016, 07:45
I don't do interviews often , but ironically I had one yesterday , face to face , they liked what they saw and heard and within 15 minutes a job offer was made .

So definitely face to face for me

Sharon the Cat
21-06-2016, 12:59
That would be a nightmare for me.
Unplug all the phones, take battery out of doorbell, put hearing aids in, put new batteries in hearing aids, shut dogs out, shut cat out, shut Phill out, tidy office, smarten self up, brush hair, make cardboard cut-out of self 3 stones lighter, hide the empty gin bottles & worst of all not be tempted to Google smart answers whilst being interviewed.

channa
21-06-2016, 13:16
Really interesting thread. let me indulge why.

In 1984 I went into the motor trade with Fiat. and one of the earliest courses covered the topic of what people buy. The idea was you don't buy a drill bit, you are actually buying the hole it makes.

British Airways has done research considering at that time 80% of it's transatlantic flights were business people. We were asked who we thought their biggest competitor would be. Of course we all said Freddy Laker or Pan am etc.....We were all wrong , they had identified then the concept of video conferencing being the issue. hence we have seen in subsequent years changes in their marketing more geared to the tourist market.

It seems their research was spot on . hardly surprising of an IT player too. If you think about it, The world has become a smaller place, conferencing four people London New York, Tokyo and Sydney is all possible . The savings in time , and costs are immense. A fully expensed trip for a shortlisted candidate (from a far wider pool of talent) is a significant saving on what it was.

Interesting there is still the human aspect , of meeting in person , its a body language touchy feeling thing i guess IT cannot replicate. (this is borne out by online retailers of car retailers fail as opposed to motor insurance)

Good luck to your lad

Channa

Haaamster
21-06-2016, 13:19
If they are serious about global warming they should force all companies to use video conferencing instead of managers and directors buggering off on all expenses foreign trips.:)

maingate
21-06-2016, 14:49
It might be a good idea generally.

My Grandson had a normal interview for an Electrical Apprenticeship last Tuesday and was informed last Friday that he was unsuccessful. This morning he got a phone call to say that they had made a mistake and he should not have been told he was unsuccessful. Anyway, he has to go back and see the General Manager instead of one of the minions responsible for the cockup.

A video interview can be recorded for Senior Staff to view also and influence decision making.

Wooie1958
21-06-2016, 15:10
Just had a text from our son, everything went very very well and they`ve contacted him to say they want to see him in New York ASAP :dance:

He`s overdue some time off so he`s going tomorrow :scared: for 3 days, 1 day to get there, 1 day to prepare and have the final meeting and 1 day to get back.

Tickets / paperwork to be collected at Heathrow, his hotel has been booked for him and a car will pick him up from and take him back to the airport :rolleyes2:

We are really proud of him :dance:

channa
21-06-2016, 15:22
Just had a text from our son, everything went very very well and they`ve contacted him to say they want to see him in New York ASAP :dance:

He`s overdue some time off so he`s going tomorrow :scared: for 3 days, 1 day to get there, 1 day to prepare and have the final meeting and 1 day to get back.

Tickets / paperwork to be collected at Heathrow, his hotel has been booked for him and a car will pick him up from and take him back to the airport :rolleyes2:

We are really proud of him :dance:

So you should be, I am a parent too, and all I wanted for my children was to create opportunity I never had and DARE I say it ...not make the same mistakes.. you should be proud , lets hope it is the right opportunity for him ...all the best

Channa

runnach
21-06-2016, 15:26
It might be a good idea generally.

My Grandson had a normal interview for an Electrical Apprenticeship last Tuesday and was informed last Friday that he was unsuccessful. This morning he got a phone call to say that they had made a mistake and he should not have been told he was unsuccessful. Anyway, he has to go back and see the General Manager instead of one of the minions responsible for the cockup.

A video interview can be recorded for Senior Staff to view also and influence decision making.

Lad will be chuffed, Jim!

maingate
21-06-2016, 15:58
Lad will be chuffed, Jim!

He is Terry, it was his first real interview and he was very disappointed to be told he was unsuccessful. He is a real good lad and is in for Student of the Year at North Tyne College.

BTW, his older Brother who got an Apprenticeship with Newarc was made redundant. The Company is in dire straits because all their work is Oil and Gas related. The downturn has hit them hard. He did not like it anyway as he was being bullied by a couple of tossers. He had an interview last week for a job in IT with the NHS and was successful, so he is over the Moon about it.

runnach
21-06-2016, 16:25
We had our awards last week, one of my lads won student of the year, lad received a nice trophy, plus a Lincoln Electric sponsored Viking welding helmet, worth around 150-ish. I hope he picks up the award at Tyne College.

Newarc, they inverter welding plant, company are like many companies involved in O&G industry, struggling. I was at one today, post pending. He'll be glad to be oot and, into a new job role.

channa
21-06-2016, 17:25
We had our awards last week, one of my lads won student of the year, lad received a nice trophy, plus a Lincoln Electric sponsored Viking welding helmet, worth around 150-ish. I hope he picks up the award at Tyne College.

Newarc, they inverter welding plant, company are like many companies involved in O&G industry, struggling. I was at one today, post pending. He'll be glad to be oot and, into a new job role.

Herein lies the problem for the youngsters, blow as much wind up their backsides as you like,give trophies etc ...but where are the jobs that let them get mortgages etc ?

Long term opportunity seems a thing of the past the lack of long term enrichment for me is the issue today...

it isnt the youngsters fault it is ours , we have allowed this to happen

Channa

runnach
21-06-2016, 17:44
Herein lies the problem for the youngsters, blow as much wind up their backsides as you like,give trophies etc ...but where are the jobs that let them get mortgages etc ?

Long term opportunity seems a thing of the past the lack of long term enrichment for me is the issue today...

it isnt the youngsters fault it is ours , we have allowed this to happen

Channa

Channa, all my lads are employed, best app, employed at Heriot Watt Uni. As for long term opportunity, no company can guarantee this. All my lads can do is, make themselves as employable as possible.

channa
21-06-2016, 18:22
Channa, all my lads are employed, best app, employed at Heriot Watt Uni. As for long term opportunity, no company can guarantee this. All my lads can do is, make themselves as employable as possible. Employed and employable totally different ..be grateful you don't teach catering. I have a student tonight incapable of making a roux ...ffs what did they actually learn from college ? starting to believe them that can do it do it them that can't ******* teach ...

Channa

maingate
21-06-2016, 18:46
Employed and employable totally different ..be grateful you don't teach catering. I have a student tonight incapable of making a roux ...ffs what did they actually learn from college ? starting to believe them that can do it do it them that can't ******* teach ...

Channa

Andrew, you might have just upset Terry. :lol-049:

runnach
21-06-2016, 18:56
Employed and employable totally different ..be grateful you don't teach catering. I have a student tonight incapable of making a roux ...ffs what did they actually learn from college ? starting to believe them that can do it do it them that can't ******* teach ...

Channa

Can't speak for catering dept lad attended, maybe the lad is just no good, you know the saying, "you can take a horse to water, but cant force it to drink".

Where I use the word employed and, "make themselves as employable as possible." That meant, for lads to take full advantage of the learning they have available. If they want to pfaff on their mobile phone, then get a job at a call centre.

Hope you feel better after your rant.

Wooie1958
28-06-2016, 07:52
He did extremely well in the face to face meeting and was immediately offered a position at the new London HQ which he accepted.

This has now been withdrawn and the new London HQ has been suspended indefinitely.

They are looking at different locations within the EU and will contact him in due course as he has already stated he is willing to relocate.

Fazerloz
28-06-2016, 17:16
That didn't take long .it would seem that's 1 American company not impressed with the outcome of the vote. Shame for your lad.

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS