PDA

View Full Version : Why you need a Dashcam

maingate
28-06-2016, 18:55
A close shave (in the car) with an Ambulance. It gets interesting at about 1.25.

(link removed)

Haaamster
28-06-2016, 19:06
Thought it was to spot time travelling cars.
https://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=FOgJbi2Jgfg

wineciccio
28-06-2016, 19:34
you call that a close shave ????
:lol-053::lol-053::lol-053::lol-053::lol-053::lol-053::lol-053::lol-053:

maingate
28-06-2016, 19:56
you call that a close shave ????
:lol-053::lol-053::lol-053::lol-053::lol-053::lol-053::lol-053::lol-053:

I have shown you mine, now show me yours. :p

mossypossy
28-06-2016, 20:03
He was just peeking around the corner, straightening the apex.
Professional standard driving.

maingate
28-06-2016, 20:35

Really? With all of the wheels over the line?

A retired Police Officer has just said that if I sent the footage to his Boss, the driver would lose his job for that. Not that I would do that. There are no special rules for the Emergency Services.

phillybarbour
28-06-2016, 20:36
Not much wrong there he was just improving his view.

1807truckman
28-06-2016, 20:53
I think leagally all he has done wrong is cross the solid white lines in the middle of the road, on the other hand right at the begining you reverse out onto the road which isn't best driving.

runnach
28-06-2016, 21:44
I was more concerned with the bird poo on the bonnet ;)

mossypossy
28-06-2016, 21:46
What if it was a member of your family that the ambulance was rushing to attend?

st3v3
28-06-2016, 22:07

Completely correct. IIRC, you're taught that in the advanced driving training.

He/she was taking the fastest line that enabled getting out of the way of oncoming traffic should it be around the bend.

runnach
28-06-2016, 22:12
What if it was a member of your family that the ambulance was rushing to attend?

No excuse for crossing double line, driver would get there just the same (without endangering other road users) by staying within carriageway. It is clear from footage, road has a few serious bends, hence the double lines. There is no point breaching highway code and, endangering other road user life, by stupid driving.

Maybe the casualty was in the ambulance, how would the family feel if further hurt was caused by dangerous driving (which it was) and casualty put at more risk?

maingate
28-06-2016, 22:32
You are wasting your time Terry. There are too many 'experts' and critics on here.

I will remove the link and not post any more of them in the future. :)

Edina
29-06-2016, 05:06
You are wasting your time Terry. There are too many 'experts' and critics on here.

I will remove the link and not post any more of them in the future. :)

Why post it in the first place if you weren't expecting people to comment on it?

mossypossy
29-06-2016, 05:40
Lucky he didn't lose his referendum. :baby::baby::baby:

maingate
29-06-2016, 06:12
Why post it in the first place if you weren't expecting people to comment on it?

It is the type of comment from one particular member. Some people feel offended by other members comments and look for opportunities to snipe. He is upset about Brexit and has time on his hands because his van is off the road.

I only took it off this forum, it is on youtube for anyone to find.

BTW, it was simply a bit of footage which would have been crucial had the Ambulance collided with us. Don't worry, it won't happen again.

runnach
29-06-2016, 06:31
Really? With all of the wheels over the line?

A retired Police Officer has just said that if I sent the footage to his Boss, the driver would lose his job for that. Not that I would do that. There are no special rules for the Emergency Services.

You should send it to the service, Jim. Maybe the next person will not be as lucky as you, emergency service driver needs his wings clipped.

maingate
29-06-2016, 07:01
You should send it to the service, Jim. Maybe the next person will not be as lucky as you, emergency service driver needs his wings clipped.

Thanks for the suggestion Terry but I will let it lie.

That particular stretch of rural road has a bad record for accidents and even the odd death. It is a winding, fairly steep hill (in places) with a 30 mph speed limit. The Ambulance was using his lights but not the siren. If he had, I would have heard him long before I saw him (my windows were down). I expect the driver was as surprised as me but as there was no contact it is fairly trivial.

BTW, you might have noticed a fixed speed camera in the footage. It caught a few speeders out and one of them hung a petrol filled tyre over it and set it alight. :) Nobody is sure if it has been repaired or not but I still make sure I am only doing 30 mph.

Deleted user 21925
29-06-2016, 07:04
The fact is Jim, had there been an accident, the ambulance driver would almost certainly been prosecuted for dangerous driving.

Beemer
29-06-2016, 07:09
I have a dash cam on the motorhome and a helmet cam on the motorbike, purely in my interest, but sometimes it is worth showing other people what stupid mistakes can be made, and perhaps others can avoid making the same mistake, and get caught on film.
I often replay my helmet cam footage and see if, perhaps I could have ridden better/slower/faster/less aggressive or just safer.
Dash cams could possibly help you in the event of an incident, and could possibly convict you, so I find it kind of keeps me level headed on the motorbike (nearly).
Got caught on the bike by a scamera van last year, doing 105mph on an empty 60mph road, and I filmed it ! :( Just did not see the van, until I replayed the video (a bit late then)...
Dash Cams... I believe they are a good thing.

Tezza
29-06-2016, 15:27
It is the type of comment from one particular member. Some people feel offended by other members comments and look for opportunities to snipe. He is upset about Brexit and has time on his hands because his van is off the road.

I only took it off this forum, it is on youtube for anyone to find.

BTW, it was simply a bit of footage which would have been crucial had the Ambulance collided with us. Don't worry, it won't happen again.
Lol.......maybe we should look for your house and bomb it. Grow up. You love to give it but can't take. Obviously whoever made the comment wasn't in your little group. So you have had a tantrum lol. If you give it ...be prepared to take it.

maingate
29-06-2016, 16:29
Lol.......maybe we should look for your house and bomb it. Grow up. You love to give it but can't take. Obviously whoever made the comment wasn't in your little group. So you have had a tantrum lol. If you give it ...be prepared to take it.

You certainly can look for my house Tezza. If you find it and go to street view you will see yours truly washing the van. Now there's a rare treat for you. :p

I hope to be down your way soon, pop the kettle on.

Tezza
29-06-2016, 19:46
You certainly can look for my house Tezza. If you find it and go to street view you will see yours truly washing the van. Now there's a rare treat for you. :p

I hope to be down your way soon, pop the kettle on.

good let me know when so I can arrange something nice for you. You see I'm a caring loving person.......

maingate
29-06-2016, 22:27
good let me know when so I can arrange something nice for you. You see I'm a caring loving person.......

Oh thanks Tezza. I was worried that you might be like that other Tezza on here who is bad tempered and always ranting and raving at everybody. :lol-053:

Tezza
29-06-2016, 22:53
Oh thanks Tezza. I was worried that you might be like that other Tezza on here who is bad tempered and always ranting and raving at everybody. :lol-053:
Can't be me...I only rant and rave at Richard heads and the Bs they spout.

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS