PDA

View Full Version : My old haunt near Peterborough

Wisewoman
04-07-2016, 19:02
Unnamed Rd
Holme Fen nature reserve
Peterborough PE7, UK
52.489414, -0.230215

So here's my first wild camp suggestion. As a youngster I used to go down here and park up (there's a couple of pull-in areas) for an evening, its rare that you'd see anyone else and if you did its probably a dog walker. I intend to take my van to wild camp here very soon. There have never been any signs up along this road but i will check in case that has changed when I next visit.

Its South of Peterborough and not too far off the A1(M). I would say its a rural layby on a very minor road with very low traffic that runs through this nature reserve.

Hope I've posted the right info for it to be added. :)

Melissa

Deleted user 21925
04-07-2016, 19:08
Unnamed Rd
Peterborough PE7, UK
52.489414, -0.230215

So here's my first wild camp suggestion. As a youngster I used to go down here and park up (there's a couple of pull-in areas) for an evening, its rare that you d see anyone else and if you did its probably just a dog walker. I intend to take my van to wild camp here very soon.

Its South of Peterborough and not too far off the A1(M). I would say its a rural layby

Melissa

That's not far from where I live now.

But I see that you are from my original home town. Is there any wild camping around the Outwoods or Beacon Hill? They used to be my haunts years ago.

Wisewoman
04-07-2016, 19:17
Hi there,

I'm a Petraburgian (born In Peterborough) but not lived there for a long time now. My folks still do though.

As for Loughborough area, well I've wondered about the car park at Out woods (Out Woods
52.739049, -1.238791 ) - it even has a toilet block - but have not tried wild camping in it yet and I would need to check if there are any signs up. I have successfully wild camped in a small car park for a local Wildlife trust nature reserve. Not sure whether to post that though. On the occasion I stayed there i actually had one of the wardens blessings but I guess as a whole the Wildlife Trust probably don't want to encourage people to overnight camp in their little parking areas.

If you check out my Holme Fen post let me know what you think. The woods there are fabulous.

Melissa

Deleted user 21925
04-07-2016, 19:20
Yes I know Holme Fen. Lovely spot.

POI Admin
07-07-2016, 15:08
Unnamed Rd
Holme Fen nature reserve
Peterborough PE7, UK
52.489414, -0.230215

So here's my first wild camp suggestion. As a youngster I used to go down here and park up (there's a couple of pull-in areas) for an evening, its rare that you'd see anyone else and if you did its probably a dog walker. I intend to take my van to wild camp here very soon. There have never been any signs up along this road but i will check in case that has changed when I next visit.

Its South of Peterborough and not too far off the A1(M). I would say its a rural layby on a very minor road with very low traffic that runs through this nature reserve.

Melissa

Thanks for the suggestion. I've added it to the Wild Camp POIs :D

POI Admin
07-07-2016, 15:13
As for Loughborough area, well I've wondered about the car park at Out woods (Out Woods 52.739049, -1.238791 ) - it even has a toilet block - but have not tried wild camping in it yet and I would need to check if there are any signs up.

Looking on Streetview there are barriers that look as though they may be closed at night ...

Google Maps (https://goo.gl/maps/DT3QDnjHKex)

Wisewoman
07-07-2016, 17:02
Looking on Streetview there are barriers that look as though they may be closed at night ...

Google Maps (https://goo.gl/maps/DT3QDnjHKex)

I really don't think those barriers ever move from their location but I will try to check it all out late one night. I was there the other day during the day and didn't see any 'no overnight camping' signs so that's a good start.:) Have also been there recently at around 9pm and all was well.

I will investigate further ;-)

Melissa

Wisewoman
10-07-2016, 07:54
Just to confirm that I spent the night at Holme Fen last night -I had a lovely peaceful and Undisturbed night!
This very minor road is a bit bumpy and due to a railway crossing on a bit of a hump, not suitable for giant or very long motorhomes. There is the 'risk of grounding' warning sign by it to warn off lorries.
There also no signs saying no overnight camping :)

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS