PDA

View Full Version : Sea Life Centre, Scalby Mills,

Jacques le foot
31-03-2009, 16:06
We had 2 great nights on this car park last weekend. We paid our 5 parking charge for 24hrs, and felt safe in the knowledge that we were legal. There are NO signs that say 'no camping'. and the pub is just a few yards away.http://i608.photobucket.com/albums/tt166/Jacqueslefoot/PICT0001.jpg

robert b
31-03-2009, 17:40
i no the place well its good for fishing but a bit wild when a sea wind is blowing in

Jacques le foot
31-03-2009, 21:52
yup!! as indeed it was on Friday night. But 'wild and wonderful' ;)

missElaineous
31-03-2009, 22:42
We had 2 great nights on this car park last weekend. We paid our 5 parking charge for 24hrs, and felt safe in the knowledge that we were legal. There are NO signs that say 'no camping'. and the pub is just a few yards away.http://i608.photobucket.com/albums/tt166/Jacqueslefoot/PICT0001.jpg

Thats great, and you actually get to use the pub, no chance of getting moved on if you've paid for the night. Was it quiet?

Jacques le foot
01-04-2009, 12:33
Yes it was quiet. Friday night we were completely on our own, Sat. night we woke to find another motorhome tucked in behind us. He had arrived late, after having youths banging on his van where he was parked on Marine Drive.
We had been parked on Marine Drive (Scarborough) during the day, and it was very convenient for the town during the day..but a bit too close for my comfort at night..hence our move out to Scalby Mills. ;)

Chrissy
22-06-2009, 13:26
Hi, went to Scalby Mills overnight on Saturday and new notice has been posted saying under the road traffic act off-street parking blah blah that they are applying to change the parking criteria and that overnight a maximum of 4hrs will be allowed with a 2hr break in between - this will also apply to approx 7 other car parks including Marine Drive.

Please see this link to the appropriate report.

Report: http://democracy.scarborough.gov.uk/(X(1)S(r1qiiy3aao1phi45ovzwcwjk))/mgConvert2PDF.aspx?ID=11238

I have emailed Mr Bedford the author and Cllr Backhouse the report holder and will let you know the outcome.

I have challenged them that most MH owners who visit the area and use the overnight parking facility do so for this reason and not necessarily to visit the area in particular and that an appropriate overnight parking fee would bring them in revenue and indeed not lose them the "birds in the hand" that they already have.

This is just my opinion and I don't propose to speak for anyone else but I would rather pay the 24hr charge of 5/6 than lose the facility all together.

I got their email addresses from the Council website so they are for anyone's use and I include them here should anyone else wish to try to get this proposal changed.

bruce.bedford@scarborough.gov.uk
cllr.andrew.backhouse@northyorks.gov.uk

Whoops, forgot to mention, this doesn't take effect fully until after mid July - I think it's the early 20th something. So not panic just yet

Thanks
Chrissy

Old_Arthur
22-06-2009, 15:29
that's a sh!ter chris but i have seen it coming !, the pier car park as had a lot of vans in all year, but what harm it does on marine drive i don't know but we will stop going in the day if we are persicuted at night:mad:

Chrissy
22-06-2009, 15:38
that's a sh!ter chris but i have seen it coming !, the pier car park as had a lot of vans in all year, but what harm it does on marine drive i don't know but we will stop going in the day if we are persicuted at night:mad:

I know and the sea life centre is completely out of the way of everybody and everything - not even used much during the day really. I reckon they will lose a fair bit of custom :(

robert b
22-06-2009, 15:40
your right . i love going on marine drive to fish .but they will lose out evetualy its probably some little jumped up jobsworth doing it

Chrissy
22-06-2009, 15:57
Hi, went to Scalby Mills overnight on Saturday and new notice has been posted saying under the road traffic act off-street parking blah blah that they are applying to change the parking criteria and that overnight a maximum of 4hrs will be allowed with a 2hr break in between - this will also apply to approx 7 other car parks including Marine Drive.

Report: http://democracy.scarborough.gov.uk/(X(1)S(r1qiiy3aao1phi45ovzwcwjk))/mgConvert2PDF.aspx?ID=11238

I have emailed Mr Bedford the author and Cllr Backhouse the report holder and will let you know the outcome.

I have challenged them that most MH owners who visit the area and use the overnight parking facility do so for this reason and not necessarily to visit the area in particular and that an appropriate overnight parking fee would bring them in revenue and indeed not lose them the "birds in the hand" that they already have.

This is just my opinion and I don't propose to speak for anyone else but I would rather pay the 24hr charge of 5/6 than lose the facility all together.

I got their email addresses from the Council website so they are for anyone's use and I include them here should anyone else wish to try to get this proposal changed.

Whoops, forgot to mention, this doesn't take effect fully until after mid July - I think it's the early 20th something. So not panic just yet

Thanks
Chrissy

This is the reply I have received

Sent: Monday, 22 June, 2009 16:21:59
Subject: Re: USE OF CAR PARKS AND ON-STREET PARKING BAYS BY MOTOR CARAVANS

Dear Christine
Thank you for your comments on the proposed order. I can assure you that the points you make were in Members minds when originally considering the options open to them. As this is a statutory process, objections submitted must be taken into account by the Council before confirming or rejecting the proposal.

Your e-mail will be taken as an objection and will be formally submitted to Members in due course, when they consider whether to continue with the proposal.

yours sincerely,

Bruce Bedford
Technical Services Manager
Scarborough Borough Council
Town Hall
Scarborough YO11 2HG
tel: 01723 232452
fax: 01723 503826
email: bruce.bedford@scarborough.gov.uk
web: Scarborough Borough Council Homepage - Whitby | Scarborough | Filey (http://www.scarborough.gov.uk)

if anyone else would like to make an objection then probably the more they have the more they will consider not going ahead with the proposal. I will send a copy of my original email if anyone wants it by Private Message, on request.

Cheers
Chrissy

kimbowbill
22-06-2009, 17:10
i've mailed my response, will et you know the reply, will be gutted if the proposals go ahead tho

Old_Arthur
22-06-2009, 17:20
E MAIL sent :D

robert b
22-06-2009, 17:58
:mad: ive emailed the councilor who is mentioned in post lets hope they show compassion but dont bank on it.

maingate
27-09-2009, 21:59
Spent Friday night at the Sea Life Centre and had a rotten night.

There were 4 lads playing football in the car park till around midnight which was bad enough then it went downhill.

At 3.30am, three boy racers turned up and did a bit of drag racing across the car park, plus the usual handbrake turns etc. I phoned the police which was a waste of time and eventually terminated the call.
I do not blame the policewoman who answered the 999 call. She is in Northallerton (I believe) and had to look for Scalby Mills on the internet. A big police tranny did eventually arrive over half an hour later but the little sh1ts had long gone.
The following morning I spoke to the council employee who was driving the street sweeper around the car park. He said they are having a clampdown on boy racers and have stopped them using their usual spot by the railway station. It looks like the Sea Life centre may be a bit dodgy for a while. I made the 999 call to get the incident on record in the hope that it may get more police attention. A police van did a circuit of the car park around 8 pm that night but it was peaceful then.

The council man did give me a phone number to ring which should be more useful.It is 0845 6060247 and is for anti social behaviour and based in Scarborough.

blobb140
28-09-2009, 07:34
Perhaps Councilllor Backhouse will give a discount at his families caravan park where they take tourers?

Old_Arthur
28-09-2009, 07:34
spent the weekend in scarboro :)was going to blackpool but the met man said go east young man so i did,great weather,good night in the lord nelson as always, lot of vans there, spoke to the guy parked up from us turned out he lived 5mls away from us small world:rolleyes:on saturday night a couple stopped in a bongo very noise (drunk)when they came back in the early hours :mad:but got our own back at 7pm when we pulled off to go to the carboot :p with the help of half a loaf and a thousand seagulls on the roof:eek::D

returngate,there was a lot of you funny talkers there friday to see chubby brown did you go?

maingate
28-09-2009, 12:36
spent the weekend in scarboro :)was going to blackpool but the met man said go east young man so i did,great weather,good night in the lord nelson as always, lot of vans there, spoke to the guy parked up from us turned out he lived 5mls away from us small world:rolleyes:on saturday night a couple stopped in a bongo very noise (drunk)when they came back in the early hours :mad:but got our own back at 7pm when we pulled off to go to the carboot :p with the help of half a loaf and a thousand seagulls on the roof:eek::D

returngate,there was a lot of you funny talkers there friday to see chubby brown did you go?
If you want the best Chubby Brown jokes, you need to find old cassette tapes of his early days, he was much wittier then (still blue though). I would not go out of my way to see him now.

ps; Do you mean tailgate or are you an ex Manager to be so formal as say return gate?

mandrake
28-09-2009, 19:40
now now old arthur bread on the roof :eek::D:D never thourght of that one but will remember it

Chrissy
29-09-2009, 14:00
now now old arthur bread on the roof :eek::D:D never thourght of that one but will remember it

You's gotta do what you's gotta do :p :eek: :D

wilthebeast
29-09-2009, 19:44
[QUOTE=Old_Arthur;68912]but got our own back at 7pm when we pulled off to go to the carboot :p with the help of half a loaf and a thousand seagulls on the roof:eek::

Haaa We will be watching out for you the next time were in scarbourgh Just to see you feed the seaguls . GOOD ON YER MATE .:D

suej
01-02-2010, 13:33
Just spent Saturday and Saturday night in the sealife carpark.. no problems. Didn't have to pay as the ticket machines were wearing balaclavas.. well it is winter! Lots of snow and ice about which I suppose kept the antisocial ones away. There were 3 other vans keeping us company.. one a fellow wilder..yes you know who you are!! Sadly I don't as I never got to meet them and Michael forgot their name .. told me it was Daffodill. I think it may have been Kimbowbill as they had a leaky problem. So 'hi' to them and sorry for not saying hello :)

robert b
01-02-2010, 13:58
hi sue . i wish i new it was you as we cme up that end to fish but it was a bit roughso we went home we had been on pier most of the late after noon we saw a van tucked up in near pumping station on albert drive but that road was closed due to ice. we will meet up at croft no dought .

kimbowbill
02-02-2010, 14:57
Just spent Saturday and Saturday night in the sealife carpark.. no problems. Didn't have to pay as the ticket machines were wearing balaclavas.. well it is winter! Lots of snow and ice about which I suppose kept the antisocial ones away. There were 3 other vans keeping us company.. one a fellow wilder..yes you know who you are!! Sadly I don't as I never got to meet them and Michael forgot their name .. told me it was Daffodill. I think it may have been Kimbowbill as they had a leaky problem. So 'hi' to them and sorry for not saying hello :)

Hi Suejay

It was Kimbowbill, Daffodill is nearly right lol, sorry too we didnt get to speak, we went off walking early AM and just caught a glimpse to wave bye as you drove off into the crisp morning sun, it was a lovely weekend all in all, we spent saturday afternoon watching the waves drench the walkers, better than anything on tv i can tell you. Thanks to Micheal for coming to say hi, i will next time i see you,

J

kimbowbill
02-02-2010, 14:59
hi sue . i wish i new it was you as we cme up that end to fish but it was a bit roughso we went home we had been on pier most of the late after noon we saw a van tucked up in near pumping station on albert drive but that road was closed due to ice. we will meet up at croft no dought .

Hi allanb

didnt know you was there, saw one tucked away in the corner near the smelly bit, was that you?

J

robert b
02-02-2010, 15:50
hi j no it wasnt me in van. i was in my car we was only fishing that day and visiting my daughter who lives in scarb.

madria
02-02-2010, 20:43
Did you catch anything Allen - fish wise

robert b
02-02-2010, 20:46
yes 1 small whiting of the pier

channa
02-02-2010, 21:31
yes 1 small whiting of the pier

The lass that runs the fishin hut near the roundabooot near the start of the pleasure mile.

I have seen her 30 metres south max of where the surfer's do their thing pull out 7lb codlings.!!!..(girlies shouldnt be able to do this :eek:)

Scarborough and Filey ( particularly the latter my official home) you would never know I was there other than the electoral list.. are a touch hit and miss.

the brigg is a ******* to fish unless you are happy chucking money down the swanney...but so egood fish to be caught as an offset

For my money a little further south off the binks at spurn or riverside if the tide is a touch strong :)is far more productive re din dins...the fact the flatties are green and have three eyes is academia :rolleyes:

Channa

robert b
03-02-2010, 08:13
hi chana marilyn has sold the shop near the roundabout due to ill health. i no she was good at catching fish but not seen her on beach for a while we are of to whitbyin two weeks its good there also

channa
03-02-2010, 10:14
Whitby/ Sandsend and Runswick have always been good spots, but I haven't fished there for probably three years.

In respect of wilding in Scarborough, I think everything will be OK up until Easter, It seems after the point when the tourist season kicks in the council becomes officious.

Like a lot of tourist destinations, Scarborough seems to have its fair share of anti tourism officers ,we will wait and see.

Channa

pappajohn
03-02-2010, 18:12

Thanks
Chrissy

hi crissy,

it wont come as any surprise to you that cllr Backhouse is a local caravan/camping site owner.
you could say he's a little biased.:rolleyes:

channa
03-02-2010, 18:35
hi crissy,

it wont come as any surprise to you that cllr Backhouse is a local caravan/camping site owner.

TBH Papajohn ,we had worked that out if you re read the thread.But reminding us is not a bad thing!

I can't for a moment think that one of our councillors would prejudice his public role at the expense of personal gain or protect his personal role via a position of public office:rolleyes:

I am technically a resident of Filey, and I am yet to read where the local council have considered a decision re tourism in a coherent and constructive manner to encourage tourism to the area.Motorhomes aside!!

TBH I spend little time there but when I do people are often very quick to share their prejudices of the 'westies' it seems ignorance has no bounds.

'Westies' btw for anyone wondering is people from West Yorks who historically frequent the east coast, and the coasty types bear a bit of a grudge.

On my part I am not a westy.....but the area I lived was ...pre 1974 yippeedoo.

All this anti tourism policy is fine if it massages ego's, the fact that local businesses lose out seems somewhere lost in the political melee.

What Scarborough, Bridlington councils etc it seems cant get their collective thick heads around, is that with the growth at Humberside, Doncaster and Leeds Bradford airports.....far easier for the jollies to spend their money in Majorca !!

It really beggars belief

Channa

pappajohn
03-02-2010, 19:15
yeah, sorry channa...missed blobb140's post. :(

channa
03-02-2010, 19:26
yeah, sorry channa...missed blobb140's post. :(

TBH the fact that you missed the post matters not.

What matters is how we collectively address Scarbro council in a way that they take notice, furthemore steamroll in the process their crackpot ideas so that the area benefits from the presence of tourists and in this context motorhomers.

I have yet to see anything from Scarborough council that is constructive to attracting visitors and money to the local economy.

A minute fraction of the money spent on Marine |drive re directed to an area for motorhomes would give a far better return :rolleyes:

Channa

Chrissy
04-02-2010, 02:01
What Scarborough, Bridlington councils etc it seems cant get their collective thick heads around, is that with the growth at Humberside, Doncaster and Leeds Bradford airports.....far easier for the jollies to spend their money in Majorca !!

It really beggars belief

Channa

Majorca probably cheaper to go to and to enjoy yourself as well :eek:

kenjones
04-02-2010, 08:05
Perhaps Councilllor Backhouse will give a discount at his families caravan park where they take tourers?

It would be useful to know the place in question so that in the unlikley event of members wishing to use a comercial site it won't be this one.
I have been a frequent visitor to Scarboro (summer and winter) since the 60s but may not be doing so for much longer if this is the council attitude.
As others have said they should be welcoming visitors.

Pioneer
04-02-2010, 11:00
hi crissy,

Don't think this Cllr Backhouse can use his position for gain, him being a site owner, so he needs his hand smacking.IMO. jobsworth:mad:

blobb140
04-02-2010, 14:35
The park in question is called Jacobs Mount on Stepney Road on the road out of Scarborough towards East Ayton. They also own a static site in Burniston.

martyn
04-04-2010, 21:24
for info, went to park in the lifeboat carpark in the centre of scarboro' last night and there are signs saying that overnighting is no longer allowed.

Old_Arthur
05-04-2010, 07:06
for info, went to park in the lifeboat carpark in the centre of scarboro' last night and there are signs saying that overnighting is no longer allowed.
same signs up on lifeboat car park:eek: so we parked near pumping station:rolleyes: but as we we left the lord nelson on fri night we counted 7 vans on the car park:confused:
i think this weekend we saw the most vans looking for parking that we have ever seen

Neckender
05-04-2010, 19:05
We called in the fish shop on the car park behind the life boat station on Saturday, and I asked the woman behind the counter about the signs and she says that people just ignore the signs, and she had her camper parked there ready to shoot off on holiday when her shop shut on sat evening.

John

bmb1uk
05-04-2010, 19:24
spent friday night at the sealife centre,and enjoyed a couple of pints of black gold, i think :D :D :D

Old_Arthur
05-04-2010, 19:33
We called in the fish shop on the car park behind the life boat station on Saturday, and I asked the woman behind the counter about the signs and she says that people just ignore the signs, and she had her camper parked there ready to shoot off on holiday when her shop shut on sat evening.

John
hi john, did you park up on a side road on south side of scarboro on sat night?

Neckender
05-04-2010, 19:37
hi john, did you park up on a side road on south side of scarboro on sat night?
Not me Arthur as we were staying with friends, on camp site this time.

John.

Old_Arthur
06-04-2010, 07:08
Not me Arthur as we were staying with friends, on camp site this time.

John.
right we saw a silver triby parked up as we left scarboro early sunday:cool:
on a ferkin site:eek: loads a money:D
our camp site for weekend
http://ez-upload.net/nouser/scarboro 028 [640x480]-1619.jpg
sunday morning
http://ez-upload.net/nouser/scarboro 026 [640x480]-5966.jpg
cheap and cheerful

chilly
27-07-2010, 05:20
Update on Scalby Mills.
Was in Scarborough Saturday and had a gander up at Scalby mills car park.
There was at least 4 mobile homes overnighting on the sealife CP so I'm guessing the council aren't too bothered at the moment.
No 'No camping' signs up.
We ended up on Marine Drive as we wanted to walk into town for the Seafest stuff.

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS