PDA

View Full Version : Isle of Lewis & Isle of Harris (Western Isles)

Guernsey Donkey
09-04-2009, 12:36
Isles of Lewis, Harris, Uist (North and South), Eriskay and Barra (Western Isles)

Photographs: http://www.wildcamping.co.uk/forums/photo-gallery/7168-western-isles.html

MIDGE FORECAST The Scottish Midge Forecast (http://2010.midgeforecast.co.uk/index.php/home/)

FERRY TIME TABLE

CalMac Summer 2013 time tableSummer timetables & fares (http://www.calmac.co.uk/timetables/calmac-summer-timetables.htm)

POI Full members can download wild Camping locations from the POI section to be found on the home page or Wild Camping for Motorhomes - POI Downloads[/url

OFFICAL CAMP SITES

ISLE OF LEWIS

Eilean Fraoich Camp Site 77 North Shawbost, Isle of Lewis, HS2 9BQ. t:01851 710504.
Garenin Hostel Near Carloway Isle of Lewis. HS2 9A
Laxdale Camp Site. Laxdale Lane. Stornoway Isle of Lewis. HS2 0DR t:01851 706966/703234 laxdaleholidaypark.com 12 Touring Pitches 31 Tents
Traigh na Beirigh. nip Near Maibhaig Uig Isle of Lewis HS2 9HS t:01851 672265 10 touring pitches - 10 Tents
Uig Sands 6 Ardoil Timsgearraidh Isle of Lewis HS2 9EU t:01851 672248

ISLE OF BARRA
The following is a list of crofters which have informed Castlebay Visitor Information Centre that they are taking up to 3 motor homes per croft.
Borve Camping and Caravan Site 104a Borve. Barra. t:01871 810878 Borve Camping & Caravan Site (http://www.wildcamping.co.uk/forums/POI-DOWNLOAD.php) I have been informed that this site is now open but with basic facilities. (keep an eye on barracamping for updates)
Brown t:07964 519418 or 07527 611304
Campbell t:01871 810408 Water This croft site has been recommended by "full member jotwca"
Currie t:01871 810497 Water, Electricity
Donald Alex Maclean t:01871 810 878: is planning to open his campsite in April - water and parking only
Gillies t:01871 890338 or 07807 652663 Water
MacNeil t:01871 890251 Water
MacLeod t:07703 526864 Water
MacNeil t:01871 890286 Water Electricity
MacDougal t:01871 810347 Water
Peter Nicholson Croft 183. Bolnabodach. HS9 5UT t:01871 810846 day 01871 890373 evenings.
Water,Waste Water disposal. Toilet, Shower, Electricity, Kitchen, Laundry, Dining Room & Microwave. Touring Pitches 3. £18/20pn (2011) Tent Pitches 3. £10/12 pn (2011) - Pets Welcome. Open January/December.
Muir t:01871 810765 Water
MacNeil t:01871 890304 Water Waste Disposal
MacNeil t:01871 810477 Water available at Vatersay Hall
MacPhee t:01871 890249 Water
MacNeil t:01871 890706 Water
Micheal MacLeod t:01871 890327 2a Eoligarry, Isle of Barra, Western Isles. HS9 5YD booking advised. Home - barracamping.com (http://www.barracamping.com/)
Electric Hook-up points; 10 amp breakers standard. 16 amp available, Chemical deposit point on-site, organic only. Non-organic nearby. Drinking water, Laundry facilities, white sandy beach 50m from site & access through site owners field. Good shelter from most wind directions. Indoor and outdoor storage and drying areas. Recycling point for glass, aluminium and plastics. Wireless internet access can be made available for an aditional charge. A free book exchange is available where site users can swap books.There are two large portable barbecue units on site.
There are presently no toilets or showers on site and campers are expected to provide there own sanitary facilities. There are public toilets located 0.6 mile walk or a 1.5mile drive from the site.
Morrison t:01871 890292 Water

ISLE OF HARRIS
Flodabay Farm Camp Site. (http://flodabayfarm.co.uk).
Horgabost Camp site HS3 3HR. is very popular. Wash rooms, showers, toilets, fresh water etc, you put your pitch money in an honesty box at the gate - if no room at the car park just find a wild spot near bye and walk down to the beach.
Lickisto Camp site 1 Lickisto. t: 01859 530485 www.freewebs.com/vanvon e:lickisto@live.co.uk
Minch View Caravan Park, 10 Drinishader, Isle of Harris, HS3 3DX. t:01859 511 207

ISLE OF UIST
Glendale Bunkhouse South Uist - offers stopover facilities for motorhomes - hardstanding, CDP, shower and washing machine. Run by Paul McCallum, t:01878 700545 : http://www.southuisthostel.co.uk.
Kilbride Camp Site D-J MacIsaac: t:01878 700568 ; mob. 07751 251522
Moorcroft Camp site Carinish, North Uist t:01876 580305 Open all year.
Shell Bay Camp Site, Shellbay, Benbecula. Isle of Uist. HS7 5PJ. t:01870 602 447 site is level and is situated more or less in the middle of the Island.

[U]BANKS IN STORNOWAY
Bank of Scotland Cromwell Street.
Clysdale South Beach Street
Lloyds TSB. Francis Street.
Royal Bank of Scotland North Beach Street.

BUTCHER
Next to the Co op Macaulay Road Stornoway. Down steps at the end of Co-op car park Next to Post office. Open Mon/Sat

CAR PARKING IN STORNOWAY
Street parking is permitted (FREE), Large car park opposite Town Hall (near ferry terminal) FREE and another 100yards to the right on South Beach Street. FREE

All Car parks in Stornoway are Free except the one in town centre, 20p for three hours NOT RECOMMENDED FOR VEHICLES OVER 5 MTS. The Western Isles Council tell me that M/H can park overnight on No1 pier car park on South Beach Stornoway if you are catching any of the Cal-Mac Ro Ro ferries to Ullapool. (Look for the freight ferry terminal in Stornoway, the car park is next to it and is marked out.
You may also park all day with no restrictions.

CDP and/or PUBLIC TOILET LOCATIONS

ISLE OF LEWIS
Ardroil .
Braighe Nr Stornoway on the Point Road.Toilets with CDP
Bosta Gt Bernera.
Callanish Visitors Centre.
Dalmore Beach.
Doune Carloway Broch Visitor Centre.
Garenin Black House Carloway.
Kirkibost Pier.
Percival Sq Stornoway.
Port of Ness.
Reef Sands Uig.
Ravenspoint Centre South Lochs.
Traigh Mhor Beach North Tolsta.

BENBECULA
Nunton Steadings.

ISLE OF BARRA
Ardmhor Ferry Terminal, CDP
Castlebay Hall.
Eoligarry.with CDP, at north end of Island beyond airport.
Vatersay Hall. Vatersay

ISLE OF ERISKAY
Ferry Terminal. with shower and CDP

ISLE OF HARRIS
Leverburgh Ferry Terminal.Toilets and CDP with fresh water supply at the side of the passenger waiting building.

ISLE OF NORTH UIST
Ardmaree Ferry Terminal, Berneray. with adjacent CDP
Balranald Nature Reserve (RSPB).
Berneray Harbour (with shower).
Carnish Hall.
Taigh Chearsabhagh, Lochmaddy.

ISLE OF SOUTH UIST
Glendale Bunkhouse- offers CDP, shower and washing machine. Run by Paul McCallum, telephone number is 01878 700545 [url]http://www.southuisthostel.co.uk/
Kildonan Museum, South Uist.
Lochboisdale Ferry Terminal, South Uist CDP next door adjacent to Shower/Toilet.

CHEMISTS
MacDonald’s. Stornoway town centre. Open Mon/Sat
Boots. Stornoway town centre. Open Mon/Sat

DENTIST
MacDonald Stornoway MacAulay Road. Western Isles Hospital.

FOOD AND DRINK IN STORNOWAY
Crown Hotel Bar lunches and Restaurant North Beach Street. Stornoway. looking over the Harbour and Lews Castle. Open Mon/Sat
Chinese take-away. South Beach Stornoway / Church Street Stornoway.
Digby Chicks 5 Bank Street. Stornoway.t:01851 700026
Fish and Chips. Church Street and Point Street Stornoway.
Fish and Chips Point Street Stornoway.
Indian restaurant and take-away 24 South Beach Stornoway. HS1 2UG t:01851 706116
Library Coffee shop in Stornoway town centre Open Tue/Sat.
Thai restaurant and take-away. Church St Stornoway.
Woodlands Centre Stornoway HS2 0XP t: 01851 706916 Coffee shop and light meals also selling local crafts.(own car park) in the Castle Grounds. Open Jan/Dec 10am-5pm Mon/Sat. Look out for directions when in castle grounds as this post code is for more than one location. bird watching, walks etc. Note: Lews Castle not open to public.
The above are just a few of those available

FOOD AND DRINK ISLE OF HARRIS.
The Anchorage Restaurant. The Pier, Leverburgh Isle of Harris. HS5 3 UB t:01859 52022

FOOD AND DRINK ISLE OF UIST
Stepping Stones Restaurant Balivanich Benbecula Western Isles HS7 5LA

FOOD AND DRINK ISLE OF BARRA
Airport Café Eoligarry t:01871 890 786
Ardmhor Cafe, Ferry Terminal Airport Cafe, t:01871 890 269
Cafe Kismul, Castlebay t:01871 810 645
Bizzee Bee Cafe, Castlebay t:01871 810 645
The Heritage Centre Café t:01871 810 413
Vatersay Hall (Open Summer Only) t:01871 810 707

GARAGES
Auto Parts Stornoway Ltd Island Road. Stornoway HS1 2RD t:01851 706939
Donald Campbell Motors (Renault) Upper Coll, Back, HS2 0LS (Nr Stornoway) t: 01851 820292
Riggs Road Garage. Riggs Road. Stornoway. Isle of Lewis. t:0185102817 Tyers, Batteries MOTs up to class 7 inc 5.

GAS SUPPLIERS ISLE OF LEWIS
Co- Chomunn Na Hearadh. An Clachan, Leverburgh. Isle of Lewis. HS5
Cambells Service Station, Cannery Road Stornoway: l: 0181702127
Gorden Diesel Services School Road Vatisker Isle of Lewis HS2 0JY t:01851820200
Cameron Terrace, Leurbost, Isle of Lewis HS2 9PE t:01851860377
Welcome Inn Filling Station, Lower Barvas, Isle of Lewis. HS2 0RA t:01851840343
2 Rigs Road, Stornoway, Isle of Lewis. HS1 2RF t:01851705155
Willow Glen Garden Centre Stornoway Isle of Lewis Tel: 01851 705656 (next to big Co-Op) Flow Gas.

GAS SUPPLIERS ISLE OF UIST
Co-Chomunn An Iochdar. Carnan Store, Carnan Eochar, Isle of South Uist. HS8 5RH

GOLF COURSES
Askernish Golf Club Machair seaside course. Askernish. Isle of South. Uist Outer Hebrides. Scotland HS8 5SS
Barra Golf Club Cleat Isle of Barra HS9 5XX
Harris Golf Club Young, undulating, seaside course on Atlantic coast; spectacular views. Harris Golf Club. Scarista. Isle of Harris HS3 3DJ
Stornoway Golf Club Lady Lever Park. Stornoway. Isle of Lewis. Scotland HS2 0XP

HOSPITAL
Western Isles Hospital. MacAulay Road. Stornoway. HS1 2AF. A&E and general hospital. t:01851704704
Uist and Barra Hospital. Ballivanich. Isle of Benbecula. Uist.

LAUNDRY/SHOWERS
Bayhead Bridge Centre Stornoway. HS1 2EB t:01851 705808 10am to 4pm Coin operated washing machines and dryers. Showers also available. http://www.bayheadbridgecentre.co.uk/#!laundry
Pressing Matters Washing and ironing done for you. Inaclete Road HS1 2RB "Near" Tesco’s.

MIDGES
The midge can be a pest and spoil your holiday - it is said that May and September are the best months to visit the Western Isles but please dont let that stop you visiting at any other time, we use AVON "O-SO-SOFT" and we find it a help.

MOBILE PHONE/MOBILE INTERNET
Vodaphone is best for reception, they have masts all over the Islands but you will still have blind spots, if you use mobile internet I recommend you buy a (paint roller) telescopic extension handle and a long USB cable then you can stick the poll/handle outside with your dongle taped to the top.

PETROL
Engebret Garage Sandwick Road, Stornoway HS1 2SL Open 7 days a week.
Manor Filling station Stornoway. on main road out of Stornoway near Co-Op Open Mon/Sat

PLACES TO VISIT ISLE OF LEWIS
An Lanntair Art Centre. Kenneth Street Stornoway.HS1 2DS t:01851 703307 Live music concerts. Art Gallery. Restaurant & Bar. Local Crafts.
Bosta Iron Age House Bernera, Isle of Lewis. t:01851 612331
The Black House Arnol. HS2 9DB t:01851 710395 Lewis thatched house with visitor centre.
Calanais Visitor Centre Isle of Lewis. HS2 9DY t:01851 621422 World famous Callanish Standing Stones. Exhibition. Cafe (Good food, good portions with home baking at reasonable prices) and shop.
Dun Carloway Broch Carloway. Isle of Lewis.
Gearrannan Blackhouse Village Isle of Lewis. HS2 9AL t:01851 643416 Restored blac house village with museum, cafe, gift shop.
Lewis Loom Centre The Old Grainstore 3 Bayhead Street. Stornoway. HS1 2DU t:01851 704500
Museum Nan Eilean Francis Street, Stornoway. HS1 2NF t:01851 709266

PLACES TO VISIT ISLE OF BARRA
Kisimul Castle Castlebay Isle of Barra. HS9 5UZ t: 01871 810313 Admission. Adult £4.70 Child £2.70 Cons £3.80

POST OFFICE STORNOWAY (Main)
Francis Street

SHOWERS/LAUNDRY
Bayhead Bridge Centre Stornoway. HS1 2EB t:01851 705808 10am to 4pm Coin operated washing machines and dryers. Showers also available. http://www.bayheadbridgecentre.co.uk/#!laundry
Pressing Matters Washing and ironing done for you. Inaclete Road HS1 2RB "Near" Tesco’s.

SUPERMARKETS
Tesco Stornoway HS1 2BS open Mon/Sat - opposite CalMac ferry terminal.
Co-op Stornoway HS1 2EE Macaulay road, open Monday/Saturday.
Co-op Stornoway HS1 2DD Cromwell St. open Monday/Saturday.
Co-op Isle of Barra HS9 5XD
Co-op Isle of Uist HS6 5BS Solas North Uist.
Co-op Isle of Uist HS8 2HU 292 Daliburgh Uist.

TOURIST INFORMATION
Stornoway. Isle of Lewis. 28 Cromwell Street HS1 2DD t:01851 703088
Lochmaddy. Isle of North Uist. Pier Road. HS6 5AA t:01876 500321
Lochboisdale. Isle of South Uist. Pier Road. HS8 5TH t:01878 700286
Tarbert. Isle of Harris. Pier Road. HS3 3DG t:01859502011
Castlebay. Isle of Barra Main Street. HS9 5XD t:01871 810336

WALKING IN THE WESTERN ISLES
34 Walks from 1 - 12.5 miles Short Strolls to Long hikes. Book by Luke Williams with route maps and descriptions. From good book shops or better still Amazon on-line ISBN 978-1-872405-35-3

Suggestions and/or corrections.
If you would like to see anything else listed or have any suggestions or corrections please let me know.

All the above is meant to help you in the planning of your trip to the Western Isles and not taken as a complete list of services.

Tales of Whisky Galor. BBC News - Tale of Whisky Galore celebrates 70 years (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-12363111)

Real Whisky Galore story is still being written. BBC News - Real Whisky Galore story is still being written (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-12363591)

All the above information was supplied to us in good faith and we take no responsibility if any inaccuracies occur.

cipro
10-04-2009, 20:30
Very informative thanks
One question unusual alias name, are you from C Isles :confused:

cipro
10-04-2009, 20:44
just spotted your welcome note C I born myself

Happy camping and welcome to the best free views site in the land

Seamoor
02-05-2009, 10:16
Thanks you for the very helpful information. We will be on the Islands next week for about 10days. It is great to find someone who takes the time to do this. thank you

Rhona
15-05-2009, 17:05
We are off to the western isles again in June this will be our third trip. The photographs are amazing it is so beautiful out there:) We just love the tranquility. Stayed at Horgabost when it just had the public toilet had a fabulous 3 days and the weather was amazing. Going to go to Barra again this time but will avoid the great pitch we found on Eriskey over looking prince Charlie's bay......had to be towed up the hill by Eric and his tractor. Cannot wait to arrive 28 sleeps. Thanks for the tips. Rhona:cool:

charliedog
05-06-2009, 11:17
thanks from us for the info ,we are island hopping in June and have found this very helpful.

kimbowbill
05-06-2009, 12:31
Hi from the Isle of Lewis

There are numerous places to stop overnight on the Island - I have named a few of the best for wild camping:

ISLE OF LEWIS

1) Ness lighthouse (good views over the sea and cliffs), park alongside lighthouse for shelter if windy, you can also park on the approach road to the lighthouse app half mile before on right hand side, large level concrete area down track, visible from road. (site of old wartime shelter - I think)

2) Garry Beach, Tolsta Head, (Go through Tolsta village which leads onto single track road - straight on - in time you come to a small fenced picnic area on right, turn right alongside and follow down to beach car park. Sand, sand and more sand

3) Tolsta there are several spots overlooking the sea on the now unused road approx 2 to 3 miles before the Village of Tolsta. Keep a sharp look-out on the right for tracks leading off main road and onto OLD road, if you reach a water works pumping station on a steep down hill then you have gone about half a mile past the last exit track onto the old road.

4) Bable Beach - grass car park- only yards from the shore - this can be found app 5 miles out of Stornoway on the Point road. (Look out for sign to Upper Bable, this is the turn off for beach - keep going straight – no turn offs – you should see the sea ahead of you (if your feet get wet you have gone to far) small sandy beach.

5) Numerous places on Uig on the west side of the Island, lovely sandy beaches.

6) Barvas Moor, can be noisy as close to main road, on outskirts of Stornoway, heading out to West side of the Island –
7) Brager shore, on west side, 14 mls from Stornoway. –
8) Dalbeg, on west side. App 20 mls from Stornoway. -

ISLE OF HARRIS

6) Isle of Harris is littered with places to stop that you will be spoilt for choice and all very close to the shore. Horgabost is very popular, - Huishnish (this one is at the end of about a 14 mile single track road and it twists and turns like a corkscrew and up and down like a helter skelter but is worth the trip for the beaches (some sand and some rock) and the views you need to see to believe your eyes - some miles down the Huishnish road you will come to what look like a dead end and someone's garden (castle like gates) keep going straight on through grounds and past cottages you will "in the end" reach more beaches on left with toilets on the right. PLEASE drive slowly through the castle like grounds, as the road is very narrow.

7) Horgabost in Harris has a site that is being developed, nothing on site except a tap, showers and toilet of sorts and an honesty box that they ask you to contribute to the development of the site, this is one of our favourite areas.

Regarding water – Most people in Harris and Lewis in the outer areas will oblige. The locals will normally help in any way they can.

Petrol (Prices change all the time)
Engebret Garage Sandwick Road, Stornoway. Diesel 107.9 litre / Petrol 99.9p upwards
Open 7 days a week

Manor Filling station Bayhead, Stornoway. Diesel/108.9p / Petrol 101.9 upwards on main road out of Stornoway town nr Co-Op
Open Mon/Sat

MacAskill filling Station Isle of Harris.
Open 6 days a week

Food
Tesco (Supermarket) Stornoway open 6 days a week - opposite CalMac ferry terminal.
Co-op Supermarket Macaulay road, Stornoway 6 days a week -
Chemists
MacDonald’s. In Stornoway town centre
Boots. In Stornoway town centre

Campsites
Laxdale campsite. Stornoway. (On outskirts of town)
As far as I can ascertain no CDP about on the Islands of Lewis and Harris. ------ But one at the Bernera to Leverburgh CalMac ferry terminal if you are coming that way.

Try this site: Link Details - Horgabost Camping and Wild Camping On Harris and Lewis (http://www.scottishcampingguide.com/link.php?n=385&c=21)

STOP PRESS

I am getting info that large areas of grass land are being fenced off on the Isle of Harris near beaches to help stop erosion so please be aware of this when wild camping.

this was very useful to me on my travels too, except for the water bit, i must say i struggled , called at one garage for water and the lady told me the tap was broken and said that if i stayed on the campsite (the only one) i could get water for free i went on my way, turned round and went back for something i'd forgot and someone was using the tap, misunderstanding perhaps!!!!

Jen

Angus
06-06-2009, 19:19
Hi Guernsey Donkey.Many thanks for your extremely helpful info. on the Western Isles.We are just back from our 5 wk. trip and had a great time.Stayed at 22 different places since leaving home incl.Eoligarry,Baleshare,Kildonan,Bernaray,Horgabo rst,Huishinis and 1 night in a Community Centre car park on Lewis having been rescued from the Butt of Lewis in the dark by very friendly and kind natives and a farmer with a tractor and a rope asfter getting stuck on firm ground(honestly) I did check ,as the wind got stronger AND STRONGER and Gwen got more and more PANICKY and the blame became more AND MORE MINE.Aren't motorhomes useless for grip even with judicious use of the right foot I could get neither forward nor backwards to get onto my grip mats of which I have 4. even though I got to said position without the slightest problem.Another bit of excitement was the breakage and near disappearance of our tripod rotary clothes drier at Barra AirportThe wind got up so strong the drier blew over even though pegged to the ground so I put a big rock on the wind side leg.Next time we looked ,having heard a noise,the rotary had broken and was disappearing along the beach with all the clothes leaving behind the leg with the rock st5ll in place.MY FAULT AGAIN,even though it was not my idea to wash in the first place all I was doing was trying to get the clothes DRY.However we had a great holiday definitely going back to Vatersay,Barra and Berneray calling in at Coll and Tiree on the way but probably Mull again next year.

bob690
06-06-2009, 19:48
Well done Angus you really made me smile at your adventures, and that takes some doin, me bein a miserable git. Its with lessons like this that we really learn about the practicalities of this game. But one lesson I think youre missing with a partner is, ITS ALWAYS YOUR FAULT!..Thanks again....Bob

wildweekend
30-06-2009, 15:40
Thank you very much Guernsey Donkey this post was very helpful. We’re just back from 3 wonderful nights on Harris. Spent 2 nights camping at Huishnish which we would never have found without your post. I would never have driven through those castle gates without prier knowledge this was allowed. We parked on the crest of the last hill before the beach as it was busy with other campers down at the beach and on the meadow. The views from our window were breath taking. The highlight was the shark which was circling the bay. From our high point on the cliffs we could see it quite clearly against the white sands as it swam along the cliff edge underneath us. All told we saw a pair of dolphins, a school of dolphins and a shark. Brilliant!! Thanks again. Derek .

ps. It seems it was too warm for the midgie but his big brother the Clegg was very much in evidence. They give you a very nasty bite.

Carron
15-07-2009, 13:24
Thanks - We are heading for the Western Isles in a couple of weeks so this is extremely helpful!

Guernsey Donkey
30-07-2009, 15:58
Thank you very much Guernsey Donkey this post was very helpful. We’re just back from 3 wonderful nights on Harris. Spent 2 nights camping at Huishnish which we would never have found without your post. I would never have driven through those castle gates without prier knowledge this was allowed. We parked on the crest of the last hill before the beach as it was busy with other campers down at the beach and on the meadow. The views from our window were breath taking. The highlight was the shark which was circling the bay. From our high point on the cliffs we could see it quite clearly against the white sands as it swam along the cliff edge underneath us. All told we saw a pair of dolphins, a school of dolphins and a shark. Brilliant!! Thanks again. Derek .

ps. It seems it was too warm for the midgie but his big brother the Clegg was very much in evidence. They give you a very nasty bite.

So glad you enjoyed your stay in our Islands - keep in touch and perhaps we can meet up next year. We have just finished a nine week tour of the country - Ullapool to Clent hills - walton on thames - Devizes - St Davids in Wales and then round the coast - up to the lower lakes - over to Dufftown then Dingwall and back home.

bodach
30-07-2009, 19:08
At the moment the ferry fares are discounted for all vehicles but there are so many camper vans there this summer that someone is agitating to stop the discount for camper vans as they bring everything with them and spend nothing free camping all over the place. This was on Radio Highland this morning. The MP was said to be getting numbers etc from Cal Mac.It would be as well to start agitating against this nonsense. The MP is AngusMacNeilMP@parliament.uk if you feel like commenting.

Alf
30-07-2009, 20:19
If this is the case what about the fares that the motor caravans pay this then helps subsidise the ferries cost for the islanders.
When we go we buy fuel and supplies localy as we try to help thinking as not many visitors in winter every little helps if this is to happen with the No Overnight Camping for Motorcaravans springing up on the north west coast we will rethink and keep away such will be there loss.

Alf

isleoflewiscamping
01-08-2009, 08:47
Hi all,

We have just opened a brand new camp site in Tolsta Chaolais, Isle of Lewis :)

With fantastic views over loch Roag, it lies on the spectacular west coast of Lewis in the Outer Hebrides, between the famous Standing Stones of Callanish (Calanais) and the ancient Pictish Broch at Doune (Dun) Carloway.

Please check out our site for more details
http://www.isleoflewiscamping.co.uk (http://www.isleoflewiscamping.co.uk)

bevdrew
01-08-2009, 09:17
The link doesn't work - at least in Firefox. Also tried copy & paste in new browser but taken to web address holding page.

jezport
01-08-2009, 12:02
Hi all,

We have just opened a brand new camp site in Tolsta Chaolais, Isle of Lewis :)

With fantastic views over loch Roag, it lies on the spectacular west coast of Lewis in the Outer Hebrides, between the famous Standing Stones of Callanish (Calanais) and the ancient Pictish Broch at Doune (Dun) Carloway.

Please check out our site for more details
http://www.isleoflewiscamping.co.uk (http://www.isleoflewiscamping.co.uk)

We are visiting in a couple of weeks, can I have contact details? As your website is down.

isleoflewiscamping
01-08-2009, 16:54
Sorry about that everyone, web site is working now :)

If you are interested in staying please send an email via the site so we can allocate you a place.

Thanks.

Alf
01-08-2009, 20:31
If I read your information correct it is a tent camping site only.

Alf

jezport
07-08-2009, 18:36
If I read your information correct it is a tent camping site only.

Alf

There are prices for MHs, The site does not mention what facilities are on the camp site.

jezport
07-08-2009, 18:55
We are heading up to Scotland tomorrow and then through Arran, Islay, Jura, South Uist, North Uist, Harris, Lewis, Sky, Mull, then back via Oban.

If anyone sees us, please say hello. We travel with a large multi coloured parrot who we take for walks/flghts on a harness, so we are easy to spot.

jezport
24-02-2010, 15:20
I would like to point out that the RET is still not cheap to take a larger vehicle than a car. Our van costs double the price of a car to take over. So without wild camping or low priced aire type of sites being available we would have probably stuck to the mainland. One site we stayed at was over £20 with no EHU and if I would have faced paying that every night I would have toured the mainland.

So I hope people don't get greedy as it could back fire on them when the wild campers spend their holiday cash elswhere. It would be a real shame for businesses on the islands and the campers who would miss one of the most beautiful areas in the UK.

Packleader
06-04-2010, 19:29
Thanks ever so much for this information. We are hoping to visit the outer isles this summer and I'm sure we will find this information invaluable.

Kind regards.

SIDY H
12-04-2010, 20:16
Thanks For the info It will be great for our summer tour up there!!

WARNING TO SAT-NAV USERS. some roads in Stornoway have been made ONE WAY.

CalMac Winter/Summer timetable 2009/2010 http://www.calmac.co.uk/index.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There are numerous places to stop overnight on the Islands - I have named but a few.

ISLE OF LEWIS (wild camping)

Ness lighthouse good views over the sea and cliffs, park alongside lighthouse for shelter if windy, you can also park on the approach road to the lighthouse app half mile before on right hand side, large level concrete area down track, visible from road. (site of old wartime shelter - I think)

Garry Beach, Tolsta Head, Go through Tolsta village which leads onto single track road - straight on - in time you come to a small fenced picnic area on right, turn right alongside and follow down to beach car park. Sand, sand and more sand

Tolsta there are several spots overlooking the sea on the now unused road approx 2 to 3 miles before the Village of Tolsta. Keep a sharp look-out on the right for tracks leading off main road and onto OLD road, if you reach a water works pumping station on a steep down hill then you have gone about half a mile past the last exit track onto the old road.

Bable Beach head out past the airport towards Tiumpan Head Lighthouse - only yards from the shore - this can be found app 5 miles out of Stornoway. Look out for the Upper Bable sign on right, this is the turn off for beach - keep going straight – no turn offs – you should see the sea ahead of you, if your feet get wet you have gone to far, small sandy beach.

Uig (Isle of Lewis) Numerous places, lovely sandy beaches.

North Brager shore - look for sign to cemetery on main road., on west side of the Island, app 14 mls from Stornoway.

Dalbeg - down by shore (room for 1 large or two small vans), on west side. App 20 mls from Stornoway.

Sheshader HS2 0EW. Down at shore, room for ONE med size van, app 9 miles from Stornoway, turn right on single track road and follow signs to shore. NOTE: last part of road is steep and narrow.

Braigh Car park with toilets next to Cemetery. app 3miles outside Stornoway on main road past airport on left (Please do no overcrowd or you will be moved on).

Camp Sites (official)

Eilean Fraoich Camp Site 77 North Shawbost, Isle of Lewis, HS2 9BQ. 01851 710504.

Tolsta Chaolais. Isle of Lewis. HS2 9DW (No further info - to be updated)

Traigh na Beirigh. Cnip. Uig. Isle of Lewis. (No further info - to be updated)

Horgabost Camp Site. Isle of Harris. HS3 3HR.

Minch View Caravan Park, 10 Drinishader, Isle of Harris, HS3 3DX. 01859 511 207

Shell Bay Camp Site, Shellbay, Benbecula. Isle of Uist. HS7 5PJ. 01870 602 447

Laxdale Camp Site. Laxdale Lane. Stornoway Isle of Lewis. HS2 0DR. 01851 706 966 on outskirts of Stornoway.

The Western Isles Council tell me that M/H etc can park overnight on No1 pier car park in Stornoway if you are catching any of the Cal-Mac Ro Ro ferries to Ullapool. (Look for the freight ferry terminal in Stornoway, the car park is next to it and is marked out.

CAR PARKS IN STORNOWAY All car parks on the Islands are FREE with one exception "Percival Square" in Stornoway town centre and this is a pay and display - 20p up to three hours max.

ISLE OF HARRIS

Isle of Harris Numerous places to stop that you will be spoilt for choice and all very close to the shore.
Horgabost Camp site is very popular but charge £10.00 for a camper van/caravan, up to £8 for a tent. Wash rooms, showers, toilets, fresh water etc, you put your money in an honesty box at the gate. At the moment this is also a public car parking area with no charge and the beaches and views are something else - if no room at the car park just find a wild spot near bye and walk down to the beach.
Huishnish this one is at the end of about a 14 mile single track road and it twists and turns like a corkscrew and up and down like a helter skelter but is worth the trip for the beaches (some sand and some rock) and the views, you need to see to believe your eyes - some miles down the Huishnish road you will come to what look like a dead end and someone's garden (castle like gates) keep going straight on through grounds and past cottages you will "in the end" reach more beaches on left with toilets on the right. PLEASE drive slowly through the castle like grounds, as the road is very narrow.

Isle of Uist

Benbecula This site is level and is situated more or less in the middle of the Island.

Wild camping more or less anywhere on the Island.

Isle of Barra Updated March 21st 2010

Available Areas: These places are on croft land and have space for 3 vehicals. NO TENTS

Mrs Morag MacNeil. 1 Bogach. Northbay. Tel: (01871) 890 286 Water and electricity available. Dogs on lead

Angus John Morrison. 10 Eoligarry. Northbay. Tel: (01871) 890 292 Access to Beach. Water Available. phone for more details

The airport site is now closed off by bollards and this is a pity because it was was the most popular because of the views, but don't be put of by this, plenty of other places to park up for the night. A representative for the council asks that if possible that you use a "green" remedy such as washing tablets to breakdown waste in the toilet cassette. Barra is open for business as in other years and they tell me you will be welcomed by the locals.

PETROL

Engebret Garage Sandwick Road, Stornoway HS1 2SL . Diesel 126.9 Ltr / Petrol 125.9p Ltr Auto Gas 53.9p
Open 7 days a week

Manor Filling station Stornoway. about 1p or 2p dearer than above - on main road out of Stornoway near Co-Op
Open Mon/Sat

SUPERMARKETS

Tesco Stornoway HS1 2BS open Mon/Sat - No dearer than mainland - special offers may differ - opposite CalMac ferry terminal.

Co-op Stornoway HS1 2EE Macaulay road, open Mon/Sat.

BUTCHER

Next to the C0-OP Macaulay Road Stornoway. Down steps at the end of Co-op car park Next to Post office. Open Mon/Sat

CHEMISTS

DENTIST

MacDonald Bayhead. Stornoway HS1 2DZ

HOSPITAL

Western Isles Hospital. MacAulay Road. Stornoway. HS1 2AF. A&E and general hospital.

EAT OUT

Crown Hotel Bar lunches and Restaurant on North Beach Street Stornoway looking over the Harbour and Lews Castle. Good food at reasonable prices. Open Mon/Sat

Woodlands Centre Stornoway HS2 0XP Coffee shop and light meals in the Castle Grounds. Open Mon/Sat. Look out for directions when in castle grounds as this post code is for more than one location. bird watching, walks etc. Note: Lews Castle not open to public.

Chinese take-away. South Beach Stornoway / Church Street Stornoway Open Mon/Sat

Thai restaurant. Church St Stornoway Open Mon/Sat.

Indian restaurant Stornoway Open 7 days a week.

Fish and Chips. Church Street and Point Street Stornoway. Open Mon/Sat

Plenty of coffee shops in Stornoway. For coffee and light snacks try the Library Coffee shop in center of town (very good value for money) Open Mon/Sat.

LAUNDRY/DRY CLEANING

Euroclean. park in Tesco and you can walk across car park to it.
Pressing Matters Washing and ironing done for you. Inaclete Road HS1 2RB "BEHIND" Tesco .

GARAGES - (repairs only)

iTec Motor Factors. 6 Inaclete Road, Stornoway, HS1 2RB tel: 01851 705881 Tyres/Leisure Batteries/Parts/Repairs.
Donald Campbell Motors (Renault) Upper Coll, Back, HS2 0LS (Nr Stornoway) Tel: 01851 820292
Riggs Road Garage. Riggs Road. Stornoway. Isle of Lewis. Tel: 0185102817 Tyers, Batteries MOTs up to
class 7 inc 5.

CDP/PUBLIC TOILET LOCATION/S

Ardmaree Ferry Terminal, Berneray. with adjacent facility for disposal of portable toilet contents.
Taigh Chearsabhagh, Lochmaddy, North Uist.
Balranald Nature Reserve (RSPB) North Uist.
Carnish Hall. North Uist.
Nunton Steadings. Benbecula.
Lochboisdale Ferry Terminal, South Uist (with shower)
Eriskay Ferry Terminal. (with shower and emptying point for portable toilets)
Ardmhor Ferry Terminal, Barra.
Eoligarry, Barra.with facility for disposal of portable toilet contents, at north end of Island beyond airport.
Castlebay Hall. Barra.
Vatersay Hall. a small Island joined to Barra by causeway.

Tourist Information

Shell Bay Caravan Site (Private) Benbecula in the Uists

Rubbish The Western Isles Council provide skips and recycling bins all over the Islands - PLEASE use them and help to keep these beautiful islands clean for the next visitor/s and for the good name of M/Hers and campervans. Thank-you and enjoy your stay.

photographs: http://www.wildcamping.co.uk/forums/photo-gallery/7168-western-isles.html

Annsman
11-05-2010, 20:27
We have just come from The Hebrides and Skye and I can report that the reports of problems for motorhome owners visiting the islands seem to be a little "over hyped". We were there from April 23rd until Friday and had no problems at all finding somewhere to stay either overnight ,"wildcamping", or at a recognised site.

We went from Oban to Barra and then drove to Vatersay where we stayed at the Community Hall. There is parking for about 4-5 vans depending on size and which way you park. They ask for a £5.00 donation using the honesty box, (which we were happy to pay). There is a water tap and a toilet opened 24hours. They do ask you not to deposit chemical toilet cassette contents down it but we have a "Sog", so I did! I did only empty about half of it per flush so it didn't block the loo. I cleaned up what little splashes there were with a "Wet Wipe", so it was like new. For anyone thinking it's because of pollution and wanting to critisise my actions, it isn't! The public toilets and official CDPs we used on the islands all emptied into the sea anyway! At Eoligarry you can see where the sewerpipes end at low tide!

From there we drove not Barra again and parked outside the Co-op to shop. The local people were friendly and were asking about the van and what and where we were visiting. They even suggested places to park overnight.

You can't park on the dunes near the airport anymore because of people abusing it and ruining the environment. There is a great deal of evidence of campfires and tyre ruts to confirm this. Although to be fair it isn't possible to attribute this to motorhomes alone. We did also find evidence of fly tipping nearby and that certainly wasn't vans!

There is overnight parking about a mile or so further up the road past the "airport" at Eoligarry, where there is a CDP, toilets, (24hr) and level hardstanding parking for about 6-ish vans, (again depending on how people park). There are also 2 small crofts that can take 3-4 vans and only charge a few quid to park up. There are no recognised official sites on Barra so if you have an aversion to wild camping then perhaps it's not for you.

The ferry point from Barra to Eriksay has a CDP and toilet too.

Eriksay is about big enough to turn your van round on! So not many people park up there, but the Western side of South Uist has plenty of picnic areas, some have toilets, some don't, and overnight parking is allowed.

Benbecula has a campsite or two if you need to stop over to do the washing. We used Shell Bay for a night and, (despite the shock!)paid £14.00 to stop in, what is in effect, someones front garden! It was another £3.00 for electric, so I politely declined! It does have a laundry and what are, at this time of the year, the coldest shower/toilet block this side of Stalingrad! (But it is clean!)

North Uist too permits overnight stays at it's picnic sites and I can recommend the one at Solas. We were there alone for the night and surrounded by wild birds, sheep and cattle grazing on the mud flats. No facilities but again the ferry point to Harris/Lewis has everything you will need.

Harris/Lewis, (I don't know where one finishes and the other starts!) is well equipped for motorhomes. There is something called The Grazing Trust that runs three sites right on beaches. One at Horgasbost, one at Cnip. These cost £10 & £8 respectively and have all the facilities needed by a motorhome, (no electric). We didn't use the other one, at Huinnish Point, so I can't comment, but I have been told it is fantastic, if a long way to get to.

We also parked up at the car park in Tarbert to get the first ferry in a morning to Skye and there was no problems. There is water and toilets nearby at the tourist info centre.

Skye has more official sites but still didn't seem averse to vans parking up sensibly for a night.

We found everyone from the islands very helpful and friendly. They virtually all wave! The roads are very good and even where they are single track with passing paces they were easily navigable in our Cheyenne. The only people who did sound a bit "off" about motorhomes were English people who have moved there. For some reason the islanders are welcoming of strangers but those who have moved there and were no doubt welcomed themselves are the ones who aren't. If you see what I mean!

For example, at one village I spent about £15.00 in the local shop and postoffice, and asked the checkout girl if I could have half a tank of water from their outside tap. She smiled and said she couldn't think of a reason why not and got the stockroom guy to help me move some pallets so I could get near to it. After 10 minutes of filling and chatting the English manager came out and actually accused me of "stealing" their water! I told her, politely, that I'd asked for permission, she went inside to check with the staff I had and the stockroom guy and other employee both confirmed this. She never actually spoke to me again but she then told them off for letting me use it without asking her!

One cautious note. People with long vans with a big overhang should approach the ferry ramps between Barra and Eriksay and North Uist and Lewis/Harris with care! The ferry staff just suggest "going for it!" But it isn't their van!

Oh! And you can't get a "dongle" signal either on The Hebrides or Skye, so if you want t'internet you will need to use a internet cafe or similar. Fast broadband isn't available either on The Hebrides so everything is at dial up speeds.

All in all apart from the weather we had a really nice time and would recommend going there in a motorhome. It cost us £255.00 for a "Hopscotch 23" ticket.

sagart
29-05-2010, 08:40
Having just got back from an almost identical trip, there's little I could add to this...except the comment about dongle reception.
I have to work while away and had no problem on Barra/Benbecula/ N or S.Uist/Eriskay/Harris or Lewis sending in material at least twice a day......an extension Usb cable to hang it outside the van is a good idea

gairn
06-07-2010, 15:46
Hi
Just back from Barra myself. No toilets at ferry in Castlebay but sign directs you to hall. Parked in Vatersay next to hall - no problems - £4 honesty box seemed reasonable and toilet etc was as described. Beaches nearby are amazing. Signs in township discouraging camper vans. Tents only on the grass. Also went to Eoligarry for a look -a few vans were parked there. Nobody at the airport although could see why it was once very popular for parking up. Driving about the island there are various signs offering parking for vans. Went into tourist info in Castlebay and was given a list with 15 crofters details incl phone no, whether water +/- electricity was available. Went to Eriskay - shower and toilet at Eriskay side of Sound of Barra ferry with a few vans nearby and another fine beach. Toilet and cafe on Barra side. Overall, there appear to be plenty options available but a bit more regulated to protect the land I suppose - I don't blame them - it's a beautiful place. Thanks Guernsey Donkey and other posters for all the useful info.
Gairn

PS - The Clansman is being repaired and a temporary calmac timetable is in place for Oban/Lochboisdale/Castlebay route - Lord of the Isles and Hebridean Isles are on the route and are both smaller vessels - we came back on the Hebridean Isles - took almost an hour longer and the car deck is only full height at the back - the side lanes pass under a lower ceiling as they approach the bow - our van is 2.63m high and we were directed into the left lane by the crew but the rooflight scraped the ceiling as we drove off at Oban - the central lanes are full height all the way so reserved for trucks but larger MHs should probably use them. Hopefully this will save someone a fright.

Battlestar
24-07-2010, 09:34
GD, just back from the Isles this week. Many thanks for your notes which were a great help. Disappointed with the watering and disposal facilities on Lewis and Harris, they could take a leaf out of the Uists' book. Just one thing, carparks no longer free in Stornoway!

Guernsey Donkey
24-07-2010, 15:51
GD,
Just one thing, carparks no longer free in Stornoway!

Hi Battlestar, The 20p for three hours car park in the town centre has just been re-introduced, I dont know of any other carpark that charges - if you have found some please can you send me a pm and I will update.

GD

darrenjc
25-07-2010, 14:59
Hi. I'm planning a trip to the Western Isles in August and am pondering which hopscotch ticket to buy. I've never been before... and I'm also relatively-new to the campervan lark.

I've liked what I've heard about Barra until I read this thread. You guys have almost convinced me not to bother. I've got this vision of driving around the island in circles all night, because there's nowhere to park. It sounds as though there's only about 30 parking places on the island!

So, is it that bad (especially in summer), or am I just being stupid?

Btw, is it difficult to get a ferry between the islands because of excessive demand? Would you always recommend booking a place, or is there usually plenty of room on the ferry? And, would you recommend that I purchase my hopscotch online, or just get it when I get to Scotland?

Thanks.

Guernsey Donkey
26-07-2010, 08:13
Hi. I'm planning a trip to the Western Isles in August and am pondering which hopscotch ticket to buy. I've never been before... and I'm also relatively-new to the campervan lark.

I've liked what I've heard about Barra until I read this thread. You guys have almost convinced me not to bother. I've got this vision of driving around the island in circles all night, because there's nowhere to park. It sounds as though there's only about 30 parking places on the island!

So, is it that bad (especially in summer), or am I just being stupid?

Btw, is it difficult to get a ferry between the islands because of excessive demand? Would you always recommend booking a place, or is there usually plenty of room on the ferry? And, would you recommend that I purchase my hopscotch online, or just get it when I get to Scotland?

Thanks.

Hi Darren

Sending you a PM

GD

darrenjc
26-07-2010, 16:29
Thankyou GD, you're a star.

I still haven't decided on what routes to take - which hopscotch ticket to get. I might miss-out Barra and go to Skye instead, since I've also noticed that the ferry to Castlebay now takes about 6 hours due to the regular ferry being in dock for repairs. And I've just rang CalMac and the guy couldn't tell me if the ferry would be fixed before August 17th/18th, which is when we planned to go.

Btw, is it a rough crossing? Might have to buy some travel pills. :eek:

Guernsey Donkey
26-07-2010, 16:48
Thankyou GD, you're a star.

Btw, is it a rough crossing? Might have to buy some travel pills. :eek:

It can be rough - dont bother with travel pills - just buy some Crystalised Ginger and start eating is about 2 hours B4 you travel on the ferry.

darrenjc
30-07-2010, 22:21
A quick update: today I purchased a hopscotch ticket for Barra-Uists-Harris/Lewis. Cost me £182 for a motorhome and 2 adults, which I think is a real bargain, especially when I reflect upon the fact that it cost me well-over £300 just to get to Ireland and back, two years ago.

My first piece of advice: if you're going to the Western Isles in high-season and your route involves a popular crossing at a popular time (such as a Sunday, coming back from Lewis to the mainland), then book well in advance. I wanted to come back to the mainland on Sunday (22nd of August, which is still over 3 weeks away), but it's fully booked. Luckily, that's not a big deal for me, and the Monday-morning crossing will do.

I decided to take no chances and reserved a ferry for each stage of the 'hop' - I suspect that all of the ferries will be very-busy, and don't want to rely on good-luck to get me to the next island. Anyway, I'm aware that the times that one books aren't written in stone. I can, for example, get an earlier/later ferry from N.Uist to Harris (than the one I've actually booked), as long as it's not already fully-booked. Regardless, I now have the peace-of-mind that comes from 'reservation'.

I intend making several posts over the next few weeks, regarding ferries and places to stay & visit, etc. - anything and everything to do with my visit to the Western Isles, that might improve the quality of future visits for any of the readers here. Hopefully, this will be useful to one-or-two of you, eventually.
Cheers.

hkp57
01-08-2010, 17:10
Just a final check of the van tomorrow then load up, we are going to Uist from Oban on Tuesday with the island hopper and finishing up in Ullapool, hope the weather is good for us.

Guernsey Donkey
02-08-2010, 08:48
Just a final check of the van tomorrow then load up, we are going to Uist from Oban on Tuesday with the island hopper and finishing up in Ullapool, hope the weather is good for us.

Hi - hope you have a good trip and the weather is kind to you. To-day Monday is overcast but warm - no midges in Stornoway.

Guernsey Donkey

jotwca
03-08-2010, 12:09
We have just returned from the Outer Hebs and had no difficulties at finding sites, thanks to the advice here. On Barra, we paid £5.00 to a crofter and parked on a wonderful cliff top, on our own and facing the sea. Ronald Campbell's name is first on the official list.
A general point is that we found little harbours and slipways the best places for topping up with fresh water: can be a problem if there are no garages which offer the facility.
The RSPB large holding on the west coast of north Uist was also an excellent place to park up and see the birds, sea and machair.

jotwca
03-08-2010, 12:15
It is lovely so just get the list of crofters and take your pick. List available from this site/thread and from Tourist Offices. We paid £5.00 for a pitch and water. Good views and quiet. Have a nice time.

jotwca
03-08-2010, 12:44
Really Excellent public showers in Loch Boisdale, South Uist, right next door to the Tourist Information. Pay a pound and get cleaned up with the generous hot water and cubicle.

darrenjc
12-08-2010, 21:26
On Barra, we paid £5.00 to a crofter and parked on a wonderful cliff top, on our own and facing the sea. Ronald Campbell's name is first on the official list.

I booked a space today for next week and have just noticed that it's with the same guy. Is it easy to find?
Oh, and can you recommend a good place to eat in Castlebay?

darrenjc
30-08-2010, 23:31
I did go to Campbell's croft: decent place to park for £5 - good views; bin; cold water tap; and close to Castlebay.
Funny thing was, our ferry didn't arrive at Barra until 6.30pm. By the time we'd had something to eat, etc., it was about 9pm when we arrived. So, I phoned him - but, no answer - so I left a message saying that we'd arrived and to come and collect his money before about 9.30am the next day. But, he never showed. At this point, I was feeling smug about saving a fiver. I mean, I'd been totally honest about everything and had even let him know that I was there, ready to pay him. So, no real reason to feel guilty.

... Anyway, had a lovely day on Barra and Vatersay (well worth the visit) - the weather was almost perfect too. Then, on towards the 5.20 ferry for Eriskay and [connected] Uist. So, imagine my surprise (and embarassment) when the ferry bloke, dressed in his fluorescent-green working top, came over to our campervan to collect our tickets and said: "So, did you sleep well in my field last night?".

LOL. That's right - he works on the ferries and had clocked our campervan when he'd come over to the croft before 7am to pull the bin to the road (collection day). But, he was polite enough not to wake us (we're feeling guiltier and guiltier by this point, as you might imagine).

Anyway, I eventually did pay him his fiver. But he's a really good bloke. We chatted on the ferry and he told me about a decent place to eat on Eriskay (the 'Om Politician' pub, just a few minutes from the ferry terminal). He even said that if I was looking for a place to wild-camp that night, that I would be okay on the ferry terminal, as - being the last ferry of the day - nothing would be happening there in the evening. As it happened, we wild-camped a little further north, in south uist. There's a parking sign, headed to one of the western beaches, soon after you get on South Uist. Great overnight spot.

arthur49
31-08-2010, 18:42
I did go to Campbell's croft: decent place to park for £5 - good views; bin; cold water tap; and close to Castlebay.

Hi darrenjc

Is access easy enough for 7.3m van as we're thinking of stopping over here for the night in a few weeks time?

Arthur:cool:

darrenjc
31-08-2010, 23:10
Hi darrenjc

Is access easy enough for 7.3m van as we're thinking of stopping over here for the night in a few weeks time?

Arthur:cool:
Hi Arthur.

The length shouldn't be an issue. The field is fairly big, though parking is fairly limited due to much of the field being slightly pitted and roughly grassed. You access the field through a gate by a green shed which - because of the angle it points at relative to the road - means that you might have to turn around before entering, depending upon which way you approach. I just reversed in though, and there was enough space within the field to turn around.

When we stayed, there were 3 other vehicles and a tent there. I suspect that it will be quieter in late Septemper though, so you really shouldn't have any problems with finding a space and maneuvering. In fact, out of season, you'll probably be lucky enough to get one of the few wild camping spots that GD mentioned earlier in this thread.

betty bongo
12-02-2011, 20:01
great info and the pictures are brill.....another place we must go now :)

Delboy
13-03-2011, 17:50
BBC programme on iplayer (only a few days left) about lewis and Harris , there is some wildcamping in tents, MH and caravans

BBC - BBC One Programmes - Country Tracks, Series 2, Harris and Lewis (http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00zg1pc)

Delboy
15-03-2011, 11:27
Only 2 days left!

BBC - BBC One Programmes - Country Tracks, Series 2, Harris and Lewis (http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00zg1pc)

Guernsey Donkey
15-03-2011, 13:41
Only 2 days left!

This above programme is no longer available in Scotland (so I am told). Take a look at the following sites.

Tales of Whisky Galor. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-12363111

Real Whisky Galore story is still being written. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-12363591

arthur49
29-04-2011, 15:30
Hi GD

On phone today to Lochboisdale Tourist Office. Lady advised that they now have a CDP next door adjacent to Shower/Toilet.

I have not yet seen or used it but I'll find out for sure in 2 weeks time

Arthur

Guernsey Donkey
30-04-2011, 10:18
Hi GD

On phone today to Lochboisdale Tourist Office. Lady advised that they now have a CDP next door adjacent to Shower/Toilet.

I have not yet seen or used it but I'll find out for sure in 2 weeks time

Arthur

Thanks Arthur for the update - I have added it to Western Isles info.

Have a good trip.

jabber
10-05-2011, 16:30
This is a great site and very informative - wish I'd found it years ago as we can no longer wild camp as I need electrics for my oxygen concentrator. We try not to let this cramp our style though so my question is, if we come across to the islands from Oban in a couple of weeks (probably around 22nd May), do you think we'll be able to find sites or crofts with electricity available without booking in advance? We'd hoped to be able to spend a few days at a time in various places, gradually getting up to Stornaway for the ferry back to Ullapool. I hope this is not an 'in your dreams' type question as we'd love to be able to visit the Outer Hebrides this year, whilst carrying out our annual check on all our favourite places in Scotland. Grateful thanks for any advice.

Alf
10-05-2011, 18:57
Jabber have you not thought of getting a 12volt Oxygen Concentrator there are several made try this link
Excel Portable Oxygen Concentrator, Travel Oxygen Concentrator, 12v Oxygen Concentrator (http://www.portablenebs.com/concentratorO.htm)

Alf

jabber
10-05-2011, 21:26
Alf, I apologise for underestimating the extent of your knowledge, but didn't want to bore people with all the details. I do have a 12v concentrator which is fine during the day, but now I also need a ventilator overnight and it is for that which we really need electricity as it can't be run off the 12v. We have considered a generator but don't like the idea that it might disturb others as it would have to be run overnight - in fact some sites forbid their use overnight, and I don't blame them - I dislike the noise myself! We decided we'd have to stick to sites with hook-ups in the future, and be grateful that we can still travel anywhere (well almost anywhere) we want to.

I've just reread the above. I hope it didn't come across as being sarcastic about your very helpful reply. I really was trying to apologise for being coy about my medical condition and therefore wasting your time. I should have given all the facts from the word go. In mitigation (if it did come across badly) I am very new to these forums and still learning that there is a wealth of knowledge out there that people are very generous about sharing.

We are heading for Scotland at the weekend, pausing at Southport to visit the son & heir (he should be so lucky). We shall then aim for Oban & make decisions about our next port of call after consulting the tourist office there.

Now I must stop reading forums and pack the van - waterproofs, wellies, midge repellent - check…

harryvan
14-05-2011, 12:55
Hi intrigued re Lazy Days - we had some interesting times with them also, now purchase and deal with Em Bee .

Isles of Lewis, Harris, Uist (North and South), Eriskay and Barra (Western Isles)

FERRY TIME TABLE
[Cal Mac 2011 Summer time table.
Summer Timetables (http://www.calmac.co.uk/timetables/calmac-summer-timetables.htm)

Photographs of the Western Isles
http://www.wildcamping.co.uk/forums/photo-gallery/7168-western-isles.html

Wild Camping Wild Camping is allowed on the Islands of Lewis, Harris and Uist and Barra. Caution should be taken as to where you stop as the land is very fragile and a precious commodity.

ISLE OF LEWIS
NOTE - large portions of land are being fenced off please do not park in these areas.
Listed are a few places that are nice to stop over
Ness lighthouse good views over the sea and cliffs, park alongside lighthouse for shelter if windy, you can also park on the approach road to the lighthouse app half mile before on right hand side, large level concrete area - down track, visible from road. (site of old wartime shelter - I think)
Garry Beach, Tolsta Head, Go through Tolsta village which leads onto single track road - straight on - in time you come to a small fenced picnic area on right, turn right alongside and follow down to beach car park. Sand, sand and more sand
Bable Beach head out past the airport towards Tiumpan Head Lighthouse - only yards from the shore - app 5 miles out of Stornoway. Look out for the Upper Bable, this is the turn off for beach - keep going straight – no turn offs – you should see the sea ahead of you.
Uig Numerous places, lovely sandy beaches. (I am told there is now a campsite in this location).
North Brager shore - look for sign to cemetery on main road., on west side of the Island, app 14 mls from Stornoway.
Dalbeg - down by shore (room for 1 large or two small vans), on west side.
Sheshader HS2 0EW. Down at shore, room for ONE med size van, app 9 miles from Stornoway, turn right on single track road and follow signs to shore. NOTE: last part of road is steep and narrow.
Braigh Public Car park for the beach with toilets just B4 the Cemetery. app 3miles outside Stornoway on main road past airport (Please do no overcrowd or you will be moved on).

ISLE OF HARRIS
Numerous places to stop that you will be spoilt for choice and mostly close to the shore.
NOTE - large portions of land are being fenced off please do not park in these areas.

Huishnish
This is at the end of about a 14 mile single track road and it twists and turns like a corkscrew and up and down like a helter skelter but is worth the trip for the beaches (some sand and some rock) and the views, you need to see to believe your eyes - some miles down the Huishnish road you will come to what look like a dead end and someone's garden (castle like gates) keep going straight on through grounds and past cottages you will "in the end" reach more beaches on left with toilets on the right. PLEASE drive slowly through the castle like grounds, as the road is very narrow and children might be playing around the next corner. CAUTION – some of the land is being fenced off so you may be limited on wild camping spots

WILD CAMPING
Caution: Much of the land on all the Islands is for grazing and is a very precious commodity please be careful.

ISLE OF UIST.
Wild camping. More or less anywhere on the Island.

Really Excellent public showers in Loch Boisdale, South Uist, right next door to the Tourist Information. Pay a pound and get cleaned up with the generous hot water and cubicle. CDP next door adjacent to Shower/Toilet.

OFFICAL CAMP SITES - ISLE OF LEWIS
Eilean Fraoich Camp Site 77 North Shawbost, Isle of Lewis, HS2 9BQ. t:01851 710504.
Garenin Hostel Near Carloway Isle of Lewis. HS2 9A
Laxdale Camp Site. Laxdale Lane. Stornoway Isle of Lewis. HS2 0DR t:01851 706966/703234 laxdaleholidaypark.com 12 Touring Pitches 31 Tents
Traigh na Beirigh. nip Near Maibhaig Uig Isle of Lewis HS2 9HS t:01851 672265 10 touring pitches - 10 Tents
Uig Sands 6 Ardoil Timsgearraidh Isle of Lewis HS2 9EU t:01851 672248

ISLE OF HARRIS
Minch View Caravan Park, 10 Drinishader, Isle of Harris, HS3 3DX. t:01859 511 207
Horgabost Camp site HS3 3HR. is very popular but charge £10.00 for a camper van/caravan, up to £8 for a tent. Wash rooms, showers, toilets, fresh water etc, you put your money in an honesty box at the gate - if no room at the car park just find a wild spot near bye and walk down to the beach.

ISLE OF UIST
Shell Bay Camp Site, Shellbay, Benbecula. Isle of Uist. HS7 5PJ. t:01870 602 447 site is level and is situated more or less in the middle of the Island.
Moorcroft Camp site Carinish, North Uist t:01876 580305 web site: moorcroftholidays.com Open all year.

ISLE OF BARRA
The following is a list of crofters which have informed Castlebay Visitor Information Centre that they are taking up to 3 motor homes per croft. .

Campbell t:01871 810408 Water This croft site has been recommended by "full member jotwca"
MacNeil t:01871 890251 Water
MacLeod t:07703 526864 Water
Gillies t:01871 890338 or 07807 652663 Water
MacNeil t:01871 890286 Water Electricity
MacDougal t:01871 810347 Water
Peter Nicholson Croft 183. Bolnabodach. HS9 5UT t:01871 810846 day 01871 890373 evenings.
Water,Waste Water disposal. Toilet, Shower, Electricity, Kitchen, Laundry, Dining Room & Microwave. Touring Pitches 3. £18/20pn Tent Pitches 3. £10/12 pn - Pets Welcome. Open January/December.
Muir t:01871 810765 Water
MacNeil t:01871 890304 Water Waste Disposal
MacNeil t:01871 810477 Water available at Vatersay Hall
Currie t:01871 810497 Water, Electricity
MacPhee t:01871 890249 Water
Morrison t:01871 890292 Water
Brown t:07964 519418 or 07527 611304
MacNeil t:01871 890706 Water
Micheal MacLeod t:01871 890327/07855179691/07703526864 Water, Effluent waist disposal, Litter deposit, good shelter, beach access. competitive rates.
Donald Alex Maclean t:01871 810 878: is planning to open his campsite in April - water and parking only

The airport site is now closed off by bollards.

Should you decide to use the above Barra sites I recommend you ring them first to see what they offer, some have electric, water and black water dump some only offer a patch of land to park up on and the 2010 prices varied from £5 to £10 per night and a discount for 3/5/7 day bookings.

LATEST UPDATE ON BARRA - Friday 18th February 2011 ------ Of the two commercial sites that are being developed, one at Borve on the West Coast of Barra will not be open by March 2011 as anticipated. The second site at the north end of the island is currently at the planning stage.

BANKS IN STORNOWAY
Bank of Scotland Cromwell Street.
Clysdale South Beach Street
Lloyds TSB. Francis Street.
Royal Bank of Scotland North Beach Street.

BUTCHER
Next to the Co op Macaulay Road Stornoway. Down steps at the end of Co-op car park Next to Post office. Open Mon/Sat

CAR PARKING IN STORNOWAY
Street parking is permitted, Large car park opposite Town Hall on South Beach Street. FREE

All Car parks in Stornoway are Free except the one in town centre, 20p for three hours NOT RECOMMENDED FOR VEHICLES OVER 5 MTS. The Western Isles Council tell me that M/H etc can park overnight on No1 pier car park on South Beach Stornoway if you are catching any of the Cal-Mac Ro Ro ferries to Ullapool. (Look for the freight ferry terminal in Stornoway, the car park is next to it and is marked out.
You may also park all day with no restrictions.

CDP/PUBLIC TOILET LOCATION/S
Ardmaree Ferry Terminal, Berneray. with adjacent facility for disposal of portable toilet contents.
Taigh Chearsabhagh, Lochmaddy, North Uist.
Balranald Nature Reserve (RSPB) North Uist.
Carnish Hall. North Uist.
Nunton Steadings. Benbecula.
Lochboisdale Ferry Terminal, South Uist (with shower) CDP next door adjacent to Shower/Toilet.
Eriskay Ferry Terminal. (with shower and emptying point for portable toilets)
Ardmhor Ferry Terminal, Barra.
Eoligarry, Barra.with facility for disposal of portable toilet contents, at north end of Island beyond airport.
Castlebay Hall. Barra.
Vatersay Hall. Vatersay is a small Island joined to Barra by causeway.

CHEMISTS

DENTIST
MacDonald Stornoway MacAulay Road Opposite Western Isles Hospital.

FOOD AND DRINK IN STORNOWAY
Crown Hotel Bar lunches and Restaurant North Beach Street. Stornoway. looking over the Harbour and Lews Castle. Open Mon/Sat
Woodlands Centre Stornoway HS2 0XP t: 01851 706916 Coffee shop and light meals also selling local crafts. in the Castle Grounds. Open Jan/Dec 10am-5pm Mon/Sat. Look out for directions when in castle grounds as this post code is for more than one location. bird watching, walks etc. Note: Lews Castle not open to public.
Chinese take-away. South Beach Stornoway / Church Street Stornoway.
Thai restaurant and take-away. Church St Stornoway.
Indian restaurant and take-away 24 South Beach Stornoway. HS1 2UG t:01851 706116
Fish and Chips. Church Street and Point Street Stornoway.
Fish and Chips Point Street Stornoway.
Digby Chicks 5 Bank Street. Stornoway.t:01851 700026
Plenty of coffee shops in Stornoway. For coffee and light snacks try the Library Coffee shop in town centre Open Mon/Sat.

FOOD AND DRINK ISLE OF HARRIS.
The Anchorage Restaurant. The Pier, Isle of Harris. HS5 3 UB t:01859 520225

FOOD AND DRINK ISLE OF UIST
Stepping Stones Restaurant Balivanich Benbecula Western Isles HS7 5LA

FOOD AND DRINK ISLE OF BARRA
Airport Café Eoligarry t:01871 890 786
Ardmhor Cafe, Ferry Terminal Airport Cafe, t:01871 890 269
Cafe Kismul, Castlebay t:01871 810 645
Bizzee Bee Cafe, Castlebay t:01871 810 645
The Heritage Centre Café t:01871 810 413
Vatersay Hall (Open Summer Only) t:01871 810 707

GARAGES
Auto Parts Stornoway Ltd Island Road. Stornoway HS1 2RD t:01851 706939
iTec Motor Factors. 6 Inaclete Road, Stornoway, HS1 2RB t:01851 705881.
Donald Campbell Motors (Renault) Upper Coll, Back, HS2 0LS (Nr Stornoway) t: 01851 820292
Riggs Road Garage. Riggs Road. Stornoway. Isle of Lewis. t:0185102817 Tyers, Batteries MOTs up to class 7 inc 5.

GAS SUPPLIERS ISLE OF LEWIS
Co- Chomunn Na Hearadh. An Clachan, Leverburgh. Isle of Lewis. HS5
Cambells Service Station, Cannery Road Stornoway: l: 0181702127
Gorden Diesel Services School Road Vatisker Isle of Lewis HS2 0JY t:01851820200
Cameron Terrace, Leurbost, Isle of Lewis HS2 9PE t:01851860377
Welcome Inn Filling Station, Lower Barvas, Isle of Lewis. HS2 0RA t:01851840343
2 Rigs Road, Stornoway, Isle of Lewis. HS1 2RF t:01851705155

GAS SUPPLIERS ISLE OF UIST
Co-Chomunn An Iochdar. Carnan Store, Carnan Eochar, Isle of South Uist. HS8 5RH

GOLF COURSES Western Isles Golf Courses
Askernish Golf Club Machair seaside course. Askernish. Isle of South. Uist Outer Hebrides. Scotland HS8 5SS
Barra Golf Club Cleat Isle of Barra HS9 5XX
Harris Golf Club Young, undulating, seaside course on Atlantic coast; spectacular views. Harris Golf Club. Scarista. Isle of Harris HS3 3DJ
Stornoway Golf Club Lady Lever Park. Stornoway. Isle of Lewis. Scotland HS2 0XP

HOSPITAL
Western Isles Hospital. MacAulay Road. Stornoway. HS1 2AF. A&E and general hospital. t:01851704704
Uist and Barra Hospital. Ballivanich. Isle of Benbecula. Uist.

LAUNDRY/DRY CLEANING
Euroclean. park in Tesco’s and you can walk across car park to it.
Pressing Matters Washing and ironing done for you. Inaclete Road HS1 2RB "BEHIND" Tesco’s.

MIDGES
The midge can be a pest and spoil your holiday - it is said that May and September are the best months to visit the Western Isles but please dont let that stop you visiting at any other time, we use AVON "O-SO-SOFT" and we find it a help.

MOBILE PHONE/MOBILE INTERNET.
Vodaphone is best for reception and they have masts all over the Islands but you will still have blind spots, if you use mobile internet I recommend you buy a (paint roller) telescopic extension handle and a long USB cable then you can stick the poll/handle outside with your dongle taped to the top.

PETROL
Engebret Garage Sandwick Road, Stornoway HS1 2SL . Diesel 152.9 Ltr / Petrol 147.9p Ltr Auto Gas 80.9p Open 7 days a week.
Manor Filling station Stornoway. about 1p or 2p dearer than above - on main road out of Stornoway near Co-Op Open Mon/Sat

PLACES TO VISIT ISLE - LEWIS
An Lanntair Art Centre. Kenneth Street Stornoway.HS1 2DS t:01851 703307 Live music concerts. Art Gallery. Restaurant & Bar. Local Crafts.
Bosta Iron Age House Bernera, Isle of Lewis. t:01851 612331
The Black House Arnol. HS2 9DB t:01851 710395 Lewis thatched house with visitor centre.
Calanais Visitor Centre Isle of Lewis. HS2 9DY t:01851 621422 World famous Callanish Standing Stones. Exhibition. Cafe and shop.
Dun Carloway Broch Carloway. Isle of Lewis.
Gearrannan Blackhouse Village Isle of Lewis. HS2 9AL t:01851 643416 Restored blac house village with museum, cafe, gift shop.
Lewis Loom Centre The Old Grainstore 3 Bayhead Street. Stornoway. HS1 2DU t:01851 704500
Museum Nan Eilean Francis Street, Stornoway. HS1 2NF t:01851 709266

PLACES TO VISIT - ISLE OF NORTH UIST, BENBECULA & SOUTH UIST
Hebridean Smokehouse Clachan, Locheport Isle of North Uist.HS6 5HD t:01876 580209 Family run smokehouse.
Salar Smokehouse The Pier Lochcaran. Isle of South Uist. HS8 5 PD t:01870 610324
Taigh Chearsabhagh Trust Lochmaddy Isle of North Uist. HS6 5AA t:01876 500293 Museum, Art Centre, Cafe, Shop, Post office, Print Workshop. Admission £2 Concs £1

PLACES TO VISIT ISLE OF BARRA
Kisimul Castle Castlebay Isle of Barra. HS9 5UZ t: 01871 810313 Admission. Adult £4.70 Child £2.70 Cons £3.80

POST OFFICE STORNOWAY (Main)
Francis Street

RUBBISH
The Western Isles Council provide skips and recycling bins all over the Islands - PLEASE use them and help to keep these beautiful islands clean for the next visitor/s and for the good name of M/Hers and campervans.

SUPERMARKETS
Tesco Stornoway HS1 2BS open Mon/Sat - opposite CalMac ferry terminal.
Co-op Stornoway HS1 2EE Macaulay road, open Monday/Saturday.
Co-op Stornoway HS1 2DD Cromwell St. open Monday/Saturday.
Co-op Isle of Barra HS9 5XD
Co-op Isle of Uist HS6 5BS Solas North Uist.
Co-op Isle of Uist HS8 2HU 292 Daliburgh Uist.

TOURIST INFORMATION

WALKING IN THE WESTERN ISLES
34 Walks from 1 - 12.5 miles Short Strolls to Long hikes. Book by Luke Williams with route maps and descriptions. From good book shops or better still Amazon on-line ISBN 978-1-872405-35-3

Suggestions and/or corrections.
If you would like to see anything else listed or have any suggestions or corrections please let me know.

All the above is meant to help you in the planning of your trip to the Western Isles and not taken as a complete list of services.

Tales of Whisky Galor. BBC News - Tale of Whisky Galore celebrates 70 years (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-12363111)

Real Whisky Galore story is still being written. BBC News - Real Whisky Galore story is still being written (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-12363591)

All the above information was supplied to us in good faith and we take no responsibility if any inaccuracies occur.

arthur49
16-05-2011, 14:41
Hi GD

South Uist - Have visited and can confirm (and used) CDP at Lochboisdale between tourist office and toilets/showers

Lewis - Uig Sands (Ardroil) - £2 per night. Pay at house 6 at top of road - cream walls with brick coloured roof (not the house behind toilets) - its a long walk to No 6 from the beach if its raining so better to pay before going down to park

South Harris - Luskentyre: signs discouraging overnight parking at picnic spot and other signs further on saying no off road parking permitted.

South Harris - Horgabost - great spot but cost seems to be increasing a lot year on year now £12 per night

Lewis - Bernera: nice spot at Bosta Beach but very limited space, maybe 3 medium sized vans. Also, petrol and shop on Bernera open on Sundays (midday to 5pm from memory)

Thank you for all your info

Arthur

Thanks Arthur for the update - I have added it to Western Isles info.

Have a good trip.

solarman
17-05-2011, 22:38
going up Scotland next week,just wondering what sort of prices are the ferries anyone?
Solarman.

Tco
18-05-2011, 00:46
Check here: Official Caledonian MacBrayne Hebridean & Clyde Ferries site (http://www.calmac.co.uk/?gclid=CJvAnPui8KgCFYIKfAodSWFbDw)

If you are planning a number of trips the Hopscotch tickets are usually a good deal.

You need to know Height and Length of your MH in order to get prices.

solarman
18-05-2011, 01:14
Check here: Official Caledonian MacBrayne Hebridean & Clyde Ferries site (http://www.calmac.co.uk/?gclid=CJvAnPui8KgCFYIKfAodSWFbDw)

If you are planning a number of trips the Hopscotch tickets are usually a good deal.

You need to know Height and Length of your MH in order to get prices.
thanks for that,yeah the hopscotch looks a good one and price is not too bad,will look into that when i get up there,
Solarman.

james1508
23-05-2011, 15:19
Hello Solarman/ Any Futures Island hoppers , not sure if its to late for Solarman as you may have already gone. This was the Easter 2011 prices for our Motorhome Travelling through the islands. You only have to book 1 of the journeys and the ferries were not full but it might be worth booking the Ullapool one. Well worth the trip through the Islands. Our motorhome is just under 6 m with a bike rack on ( i think this price applies up to 8m)

Hope this helps.

Date Route (HOP08) Latest Check-in Departure Time Arrival Time
20/04/11 OBAN to CASTLEBAY 12:55 13:40 18:30
ARDMHOR (Barra) to ERISKAY No Sailing Booked
BERNERAY to LEVERBURGH No Sailing Booked
STORNOWAY to ULLAPOOL No Sailing Booked

Vehicles must be available for shipment no later than the latest check-in time stated above
otherwise space will be re-allocated. Space reserved and charges raised are based on the
information supplied. If your vehicle exceeds the length reserved, a surcharge may be due and
space may not be available on the ferry.

************************************************** **************************************************
Details of Fares Ticket Type Qty Unit (£) Total (£)
Adult Hopscotch 2 30.00 60.00
Vehicle Hopscotch 1 194.00 194.00
Vehicle Details
Total Cost of Booking 254.00

solarman
24-05-2011, 02:12
Hello Solarman/ Any Futures Island hoppers , not sure if its to late for Solarman as you may have already gone. This was the Easter 2011 prices for our Motorhome Travelling through the islands. You only have to book 1 of the journeys and the ferries were not full but it might be worth booking the Ullapool one. Well worth the trip through the Islands. Our motorhome is just under 6 m with a bike rack on ( i think this price applies up to 8m)

Hope this helps.

Date Route (HOP08) Latest Check-in Departure Time Arrival Time
20/04/11 OBAN to CASTLEBAY 12:55 13:40 18:30
ARDMHOR (Barra) to ERISKAY No Sailing Booked
BERNERAY to LEVERBURGH No Sailing Booked
STORNOWAY to ULLAPOOL No Sailing Booked

Vehicles must be available for shipment no later than the latest check-in time stated above
otherwise space will be re-allocated. Space reserved and charges raised are based on the
information supplied. If your vehicle exceeds the length reserved, a surcharge may be due and
space may not be available on the ferry.

************************************************** **************************************************
Details of Fares Ticket Type Qty Unit (£) Total (£)
Adult Hopscotch 2 30.00 60.00
Vehicle Hopscotch 1 194.00 194.00
Vehicle Details
Total Cost of Booking 254.00
thanks for info,we haven't set off yet due to winds but will certainly check out the hopscotch tickets thanks very much,
Solarman.

james1508
24-05-2011, 08:49
Its worth the visit, before we went we printed off Guernsey Donkey's notes and stayed at a few of the recommendations for wild camps. Whilst on the Islands we only stayed on 2 camps and one of those was the hall at Vatersay and the other on Harris as we had passed it on a previous cycle trip (day trip from Skye) around South Harris and it looked a great spot to stay. Despite the great weather over Easter 2011 It was always windy but surprisingly the ferry crossings were good for us and hopefully they will be running for you soon. Barra and Uist were such friendly places with everyone waving at as us as we past.

Also thanks to Guernsey Donkey for all the useful info provided on here too.

Regards

James

Hester Bell
29-05-2011, 18:39
Hello - we are off to the outer Hebrides on Friday and are wondering if anyone knows if the new campsite at Borve on Barra is open yet? Thank you

james1508
30-05-2011, 17:41
Hello - we are off to the outer Hebrides on Friday and are wondering if anyone knows if the new campsite at Borve on Barra is open yet? Thank you

Hello, unless anything has happened in the last few weeks it wasn't open at Easter. The hall at vatersay was a good cheap spot (£4) no electric but has a tap and toilet. We then wild camped in a car park at the bottom of Heaval (the highest summit) no facilities but great views.

Regards and enjoy

James

briz
19-06-2011, 20:01
This above programme is no longer available in Scotland (so I am told). Take a look at the following sites.

Hi Guernsey Donkey

Just had the first night away in the old 1973 vdub and planning for the July 12 day break.

Keen to get some feelings re parking a couple of aircooled campers in the isles, aiming on starting from mallaig- skye and then over to you guys on Harris and Lewis, for the Celtic festival, before heading south through the Uists and ferry back to Oban.

I was going to pm you however dont have full rights.

cheers
B

Guernsey Donkey
30-06-2011, 13:06
Hi Guernsey Donkey

Just had the first night away in the old 1973 vdub and planning for the July 12 day break.

Keen to get some feelings re parking a couple of aircooled campers in the isles, aiming on starting from mallaig- skye and then over to you guys on Harris and Lewis, for the Celtic festival, before heading south through the Uists and ferry back to Oban.

I was going to pm you however dont have full rights.

cheers
B

Air cooled eh - I cant see any problem with parking up overnight on the Islands but I would be very careful where you park up if you want to overnight in Stornoway, you are likely to get moved on. If I can be of further hep e me at spinning_wheel@btinternet.com

dalyoftelford
03-07-2011, 07:21

Hi , My name is Paul and I live in Barra, Borve campsite is now open for tents and motorhomes

Don Madge
03-07-2011, 08:43
Hi , My name is Paul and I live in Barra, Borve campsite is now open for tents and motorhomes

Thanks for that Paul, hope to be there in September weather permitting of course.

Don

Guernsey Donkey
03-07-2011, 09:57

Hi Paul

Thanks for that - page updated, if you have any more info please could you let me have it so as to update the page.

scek
04-07-2011, 08:08
Superb news. Do you have contact details and what facilities do they have?

(and hurry up as we are arriving on friday - in 4 days time...)

Guernsey Donkey
28-02-2012, 10:59
I had gone through the site. The Herbrides are known as th "Long Islands" as they stretch for 100 miles. The Isle of Lewis is the most northern island and has the capital, Stornway on ite eastern side. Stormway is also the people administrative capital of the island china. The Western Isles culture remains very strong , particularly in its religious beliefs. Sundays remain a very special day, and many people observe strict compliance to the "Free Church "j traditional values. One of my best friends along with his family had visited the place last vacation and while he was explaining about the tour , I had experienced the excitement.

Eclipse Portable Oxygen (http://www.sequaleclipseconcentrator.com/)

SeQual Eclipse (http://www.sequaleclipseconcentrator.com/)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
too much to drink me thinks. :wacko::wacko: STORNOWAY

schizowife
13-05-2012, 09:38
Hi all, we are off on 14th June for 4 weeks on the outer hebrides. Would anyone mind emailling me details of nice places to wildcamp in a VW T25 with a dog that loves (and i mean loves!!!) the water. No kids and we are quite self sufficient so remoteness doesn't worry us. Can't wait to get going :) Did the Orkneys last year and had a fantastic time spending just one out of 21 nights at a site. My email address is hpbr12765@blueyonder.co.uk any advice much appreciated as we would hate to upset any locals.

schizowife
13-05-2012, 10:04
Just to add we have booked the hopscotch 23 tickets from oban :)

Canalsman
13-05-2012, 11:51
All the recommended wilding spots are logged in the POI Downloads - so I'd strongly advise you to start by looking there ...

Regards

Chris

schizowife
14-05-2012, 09:52
All the recommended wilding spots are logged in the POI Downloads - so I'd strongly advise you to start by looking there ...

Regards

Chris

I have the downloads thanks chris, was just wondering if anyone had any ideas other than those shown, although the ones on the POI look great.

Not sure where to ask but can anyone advise on the best dongle to use whilst there? I really need to get online once a week whilst we are away for work!

toxicturtle
13-06-2012, 21:51
Hi there
our personal favourites are
Port o Nis harbour, toilets and shower at top of the hill, No1 fave and now looking to live there!
Traigh Mor past Tolsta, toilets but please dont empty your portaloo there
Huisinis, toilets, amazing bay, rabbits and even a basking shark!
We've been 4 times in the last year and still manage to find somewhere new.
All I can say is dont let the idea of having to drive to the end of a windy one track road, then having to come back the same way put you off, bite the bullet n use the petrol and you will be rewarded with some idyllic and interesting places, Island of Bernara off Uig is brilliant with a brilliant wee community cafe and museum and it has a tidal bell at Vosta? beach. Try and make it to the bridge to nowhere past Tolsta, even if its just for the obligatory photo. Also the lighthouse at the Butt of Lewis is a brilliant backdrop for a nights rest!
Other advice is if it says dont drive on the sand, Dont! I finally got caught out wi my new tyres and Luckily Alec with his JCB rescued us after 3 hours o digging!
If it says stay off the Macchair, please do cos it does get chewed up easily and is a great way of annoying the locals!
Try and spend money in the local shops, biggest local bugbear is MH owners going fully self sufficient, the community puts a lot of effort into being hospitable with free toilets at quite a few beaches and even some showers.
Iv missed out Harris tho theres places there too, you just need to explore. Of note tho is the Harris Inn, in Tarbet where we spent a night in the carpark after an evenings entertainment before catching the boat in the morning.
Hope you enjoy it as much as we do
Take care and have fun

Casperthe Ghost
13-08-2012, 21:04
Thanks for the welcome Guernsey Donkey and also the list of places available on the Western Isles, we did it about ten years ago Band B but intend to go back next year with the motorhome so your post will be very helpful to us Tks and take care

Casper

molly 2
11-10-2012, 00:23
Thanks for the link molly 2

Guernsey Donkey
12-10-2012, 08:36
Thanks for the link molly 2

Any further help needed - just ask - only to pleased to assist.

John

dandywarhol
03-04-2013, 10:56
The public Disabled access toilet now has a shower - no need to use the campsite (although it is beautiful) We're just back from 6 days of glorious weather whilst the rest of the country basked in snow ;)

Passing Places
03-04-2013, 11:59
What a fantastic thread of info and good links. I thought initially some info might be out of date by now given the age of the thread, but now I realise that John has been updating his orginal post.

Perfect and a great resource.

Thanks

Kevin

magbrin
30-04-2013, 20:33
Eventually, weather permitting, we hope to get back to the Outer Hebrides for a few days at the end of next week.
Really just wanted to know what the latest is on the islands re campervans, wild camping etc.
GD and others have put up lots of useful information over the years - many thanks for that.
We will be in Stornoway at some stage to visit Charles Macleod and other local businesses to spend a few quid. We will NOT be stocking up at Tesco before we leave. I also hope we may make it to the Hebridean Smokehouse in N Uist. Ferry timetables and time permitting.
Any recent/up to date information would be appreciated. No clear plan yet, but likely to be crossing on Friday and returning Tues/Wed. Not long enough, I know, but a few days is better than none at all.

Vanterrier
01-05-2013, 17:55
Just want to add my thanks for all the useful info on this thread, great work GD...

We will be visiting Uists and Harris and Lewis again this year but this is our firstvisit in our Campervan, did Orkneys last year and the Inner Isles so really really looking forward to next week

Its a pity Calmac dont allow a pick and choose hopscotch ticket where you make up your crossings list and pay for them alone (unless I'm missing something?) i will be crossing from Skye to Uist then later in week Uist to Harris and at end of week from Harris to Skye and home... so a mini-hopsotch if you like... would like to have made a saving but the ferries are still pretty reasonable I think for our size van (5.6M)

we intend using crofts and some sites as the prices are so low it seems mean to not pay their fees and help with their economy. We also eat out when touring and buy locally produced/harvested produce whenever we can (especially smokery goods)

I'm just hoping for as good a May as we had last year on Mull and Ardnamurchan oh and smooth crossings as I'm no sailor.

I'll post up details of our trip if theres anything of note over and above the astounding beauty of the place and the friendliness of the Islanders which seems to be a given.

give us a wave if you spy us in our IH next week eh?

K ;)

magbrin
01-05-2013, 18:16
Its a pity Calmac dont allow a pick and choose hopscotch ticket where you make up your crossings list and pay for them alone (unless I'm missing something?) i will be crossing from Skye to Uist then later in week Uist to Harris and at end of week from Harris to Skye and home... so a mini-hopsotch if you like... would like to have made a saving but the ferries are still pretty reasonable I think for our size van (5.6M)

give us a wave if you spy us in our IH next week eh?

K ;)

Not sure just what you are looking for but I have been looking at Hopscotch 14 Harris & Uists (http://www.calmac.co.uk/tickets/island-hopping/hopscotch-14-harris-and-uists.htm) and we are thinking of using it as it is a lot cheaper than the separate ferries. It seems to me that the Berneray - Leverburgh (because it is beween islands and not from mainland/Skye) does not qualify for RET. It is very expensive for a 5.4m van. However with the Hopscotch it is only just a pound or two more expensive to do this route than Ullapool Stornoway. Not sure if this helps.

Will look out for you - we may even be on the same ferry:wave::wave:

fiona68
01-05-2013, 18:21
Hi

Calmac do this as a Hopscotch, Uig to Lochmaddy, Bernerey to Leverburgh and Tarbert to Uig. I think its Hopscotch no14 just reversed. We do this every year and have been for 20yrs. Last year booked online for 1st time on Calmac Website otherwise just phone. Have a fab time, will be going in July

Fiona

Vanterrier
02-05-2013, 11:45
Hi

Calmac do this as a Hopscotch, Uig to Lochmaddy, Bernerey to Leverburgh and Tarbert to Uig. I think its Hopscotch no14 just reversed. We do this every year and have been for 20yrs. Last year booked online for 1st time on Calmac Website otherwise just phone. Have a fab time, will be going in July

Fiona

Brilliant !!! thanks to you and Magbrin for the pointer... I didnt see this as it is titled Uists to Harris but of course starts in Skye - Duh! anyway it looks as if it will save me around £30 so I'm glad I asked... Will keep an eye out for you Magbrin - what are you driving? (Renault Master PVC ?)

REALLY looking forward to next week....

K ;)

magbrin
08-05-2013, 08:28
Brilliant !!! thanks to you and Magbrin for the pointer... I didnt see this as it is titled Uists to Harris but of course starts in Skye - Duh! anyway it looks as if it will save me around £30 so I'm glad I asked... Will keep an eye out for you Magbrin - what are you driving? (Renault Master PVC ?)

REALLY looking forward to next week....

K ;)

Booked Friday pm to Tarbert on Hopscotch 14. Yes Renault PVC. white with dogs paw prints on back and side:dog:
Forecast ok, will probably do N Harris on Friday/Saturday then heading for West Lewis and then back to Harris & North Uist on Monday/Tuesday.
WARNING - my son (his last trip in his old red transit, which he has sold for the asking price) will also be on the road - with some of his pals:wave:

Vanterrier
15-05-2013, 18:10
Yes Renault PVC. white with dogs paw prints on back and side:dog:

pretty sure I saw you about but had not seen this last post otherwise would have waved at least...

we had FANTASTIC time last week. Skye on saturday night was WILD and the drive up there had moments especially in Glencoe when I thought the van was going to be blown off the road! but sundays ferry to Lochmaddy was fine, the run down to the bottom of South Uist was wet and it was late when we pulled up on Kilbride campsite which was excellent. short walk to Eriskay next morning in sunshine and saw three Otters from the causeway - Magic.
stayed another night before criss-crossing the Uists and Benbecula before staying over at a wild site just outside Solas - picnic site right on the shore where we saw a male Hen Harrier patrolling the shore being mobbed the whole way by smaller birds.
Berneray was a revellation, previously we have just crossed the causeway and jumped straight on the ferry but we had time to explore this time and the island is excellent with a wild camp opportunity at the picnic site near Borge. theres a toilet block on the old harbour and it has showers. Common Seals were basking in the sunshine. ferry was very full but we got on OK (we didnt book the hopscotch at the end of the day as we like our flexibility and decided not to be tied down by ferry timetables).
Harris was brilliant and we went along the road to Huisinin (which goes through a castles grounds!) theres parking for a few vans at the end and a basic toilet block, we came back up the hill and parked alone with a fantastic view and again woke to clear blue skies. by this time we were beginning to think that there were no eagles and it was just a myth...
we travelled around through Harris and into Lewis and camped for the night in the dunes at Cnip but not befor going to the very end of the road... we could even see St Kilda in the distance off shore. the Cnip site was great with fantastic beach and decent toilet block with showers and all for a tenner which goes to the Grazing Trust anyway... then we saw Eagles !!! three of them with two displaying and courting by the looks of it and then ganging up on the third who was an unwelcome intruder (to them). we saw more later and the next day as we travelled to Stornaway to get some black pudding before heading down to the ferry at Tarbet (which I had booked ahead this time)
Crossing to Skye was Ok again and we stopped over at the C&CC club site (outside the gates as they were already full !) but the wardens could not have been more helpful. it was a pretty wet night again and for the 360 mile drive home to Tynedale.

back to work for two weeks but then off again - this time to the Orkneys, or the Summer Isles, or, or ??? who knows but it will be Scotland.

Cannot wait...

K :tongue:

magbrin
17-05-2013, 10:12
pretty sure I saw you about but had not seen this last post otherwise would have waved at least...

we had FANTASTIC time last week. Skye on saturday night was WILD and the drive up there had moments especially in Glencoe when I thought the van was going to be blown off the road! but sundays ferry to Lochmaddy was fine, the run down to the bottom of South Uist was wet and it was late when we pulled up on Kilbride campsite which was excellent. short walk to Eriskay next morning in sunshine and saw three Otters from the causeway - Magic.
stayed another night before criss-crossing the Uists and Benbecula before staying over at a wild site just outside Solas - picnic site right on the shore where we saw a male Hen Harrier patrolling the shore being mobbed the whole way by smaller birds.
Berneray was a revellation, previously we have just crossed the causeway and jumped straight on the ferry but we had time to explore this time and the island is excellent with a wild camp opportunity at the picnic site near Borge. theres a toilet block on the old harbour and it has showers. Common Seals were basking in the sunshine. ferry was very full but we got on OK (we didnt book the hopscotch at the end of the day as we like our flexibility and decided not to be tied down by ferry timetables).
Harris was brilliant and we went along the road to Huisinin (which goes through a castles grounds!) theres parking for a few vans at the end and a basic toilet block, we came back up the hill and parked alone with a fantastic view and again woke to clear blue skies. by this time we were beginning to think that there were no eagles and it was just a myth...
we travelled around through Harris and into Lewis and camped for the night in the dunes at Cnip but not befor going to the very end of the road... we could even see St Kilda in the distance off shore. the Cnip site was great with fantastic beach and decent toilet block with showers and all for a tenner which goes to the Grazing Trust anyway... then we saw Eagles !!! three of them with two displaying and courting by the looks of it and then ganging up on the third who was an unwelcome intruder (to them). we saw more later and the next day as we travelled to Stornaway to get some black pudding before heading down to the ferry at Tarbet (which I had booked ahead this time)
Crossing to Skye was Ok again and we stopped over at the C&CC club site (outside the gates as they were already full !) but the wardens could not have been more helpful. it was a pretty wet night again and for the 360 mile drive home to Tynedale.

back to work for two weeks but then off again - this time to the Orkneys, or the Summer Isles, or, or ??? who knows but it will be Scotland.

Cannot wait...

K :tongue:

We too had an amazing trip. Spent Thursday night by Uig Cemetery (Skye), overlooking the bay - magic, despite the company;) Ferry to Tarbert - then out to Huisinish. There were 7 vans there, excluding us, so like you we moved on back to a spot by a school near Meavaig, overlooking the sealoch (West Loch Tarbert/sound of Taransay). Weather still grey and damp with little view by this time:cry:
Morning bright although soon clouded over and we did the Eagle walk - well past the observatory, and had several sightings - but only one at a time, so not sure wheter we saw 2,3,4,or 6 birds.
Moved north to better weather and to meet our son & pals for a beach BBQ (It should not need to be said but you would never know we had been there) at Cliff, near Uig. Other vans & tents there, too but we outnumbered them:o
The evening had been spent searching to the end of the road and back for the rest of the party - no telephone reception - normally a good thing!! We searched every nook & cranny in beautiful sunshine, blue seas and crashing waves. It was windy by then.

Sunday we travelled back south through wind, rain and blinks of sunshine, the choice of Neil and pals, and stopped for lunch at Loch Erisort. Excellent Chowder. We ended up near, the campsite at Horgabost with a view across to where we had been on Friday night,. Stunning views, colour - the green/blue you only see in the Outer Hebrides - and wind building to a howling gale on Monday morning.
Neil etc crossed back on Monday and we took shelter at Lingabay - where they were going to open a superquarry, a few years back. It was still windy there but we had opted not to cross to N Uist because of the lack of shelter there. By Tuesday morning it was calmer (winds 25+mph) and there was masses of wildlife in the bay, including common seal, ubiquitous geese, ring plovers, gulls, terns, herons, swallows to name but a few, and I think I saw a sea eagle circling but it was a long way away so I can't be sure. It looked the right shape. But no otters.

Tuesday moved on to North Uist. With a day less, and still a combination of rain, sunny intervals & wind we rushed round the island. Amazing fro birds - red brested mergansers, shelducks and a short eared owl a few of the less common birds. I still have a lot to learn about waders. Oh, and oystercatchers everywhere. When we were in South Africa in february we saw the Black oysetercatcher and a crowned plover (off topic!). And crossing the shallows we saw two stags - but still no otters. We stopped at the Hebridean Smokehouse at Clachan. Loving the smoked scallops.

Will have to go back. There is so much that we did and saw in just a few days, and so much more to do and see.

This weekend a different trip - Glasgow:(

BTW didn't get to Stornoway for our black pudding - but we get it from the wholesaler in Inverness, so we did have some with us - coals to Newcastle - and now ith has gained protected sstatus and Stornoway Black Pudding can only be made in the Parish of Stornoway on Lewis. If any of you haven't tried it it is the best black pudding on earth:tongue::tongue:

KincardineON
31-03-2015, 17:10
Very informative thanks
One question unusual alias name, are you from C Isles :confused:

Nope - Ontario Canada

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS