PDA

View Full Version : Southampton Boat Show

Graham Wright
02-09-2016, 10:12
My wife and I exhibit at this show and, due to insurance age limits, can no longer hire a van to shift our exhibition stand which weighs over half a ton. We sometimes just break even at the show and sometimes make a loss but it is fun! The costs of hiring a three and a half tonner and paying for accommodation are killers.

As a solution to all these problems, we bought a cheap (1000) Mk3 Ford Transit camper. The back doors allow us to load the paraphernalia and the adequate accommodation reduces the cost of the stay.

Last year we stayed in a formal site which worked very well but the driving took an hour each way and took the edge off the benefits!

Since last September, I have been replacing the rust with new metal (Transit owners will know what that means!) and we are now self-contained complete with solar power.

We fancy going wild but want to stay within the law. I have found it difficult to work out what the law actually states. Sloping shoulders seem to have afflicted the various official bodies who have responded to formal questions.

Can anyone please recommend any locations within not too great a distance from the port please?

With such a long waterfront to Southampton water that would be ideal.

TJBi
04-09-2016, 15:37
There are a couple of locations in the POIs on the west side of Southampton Water and a couple more in the Southampton Common area. These are available, along with many thousands of others in Britain, France and Iberia, to full members. Alternatively, have you considered contacting the managers of any local marinas to see whether you coud park there?

Graham Wright
06-09-2016, 15:37
There are a couple of locations in the POIs on the west side of Southampton Water and a couple more in the Southampton Common area. These are available, along with many thousands of others in Britain, France and Iberia, to full members. Alternatively, have you considered contacting the managers of any local marinas to see whether you coud park there?

I've applied for full membership and await access to the POI with great anticipation!

Graham Wright
27-09-2016, 15:20
We ended up in Leisure World car park. 5 per 24 hour stay. It is close to the Boat Show venue but there are no facilities and there is a disco that chucks out at around 0300!

All was formally agreed before we visited but the payment process is weird. There is free parking after 1800 until 0400. The car park is under TV surveillance which (I believe) reads number plates. It is not clear whether it does so during the free period. If not, arrival after 1800 on one day and departure between 1800 and 0400 many days later would appear to be free. I can't believe that is the case!

If anyone is interested, a Thetford cassette fits neatly in an IKEA large bag. Don't ask!

Graham Wright
03-10-2016, 12:00
We ended up in Leisure World car park. 5 per 24 hour stay. It is close to the Boat Show venue but there are no facilities and there is a disco that chucks out at around 0300!

All was formally agreed before we visited but the payment process is weird. There is free parking after 1800 until 0400. The car park is under TV surveillance which (I believe) reads number plates. It is not clear whether it does so during the free period. If not, arrival after 1800 on one day and departure between 1800 and 0400 many days later would appear to be free. I can't believe that is the case!

If anyone is interested, a Thetford cassette fits neatly in an IKEA large bag. Don't ask!

I have just received notification from Parking Eye, that no fee is due!

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS