PDA

View Full Version : odd insurance question!

billi
02-09-2016, 12:26
can we get a months insurance+europe breakdown from anyone.
we are in spain at mo,plan to be back in blighty early nov,but insurance runs out late oct.[we were originally contracted till mid-sept]then plan is to sell motorhome,then buy stealth van or something similar.BUT there could be a gap between selling/buying.
phoned safeguard who will only insure for a year,and not payout if we cancel there policy early!
*ps-dont know what vehicle we are getting yet so safeguard wont change policy over if not a motorhome.*

r4dent
02-09-2016, 14:46
Have you looked at paying by installments and then cancelling the payment. (they'll soon stop the cover).

I don't know if this works, but worth a google or two.

billi
05-09-2016, 13:03
been in touch with aib.who have said we can pay 12 months,but cancel when we sell the mh,and still claim 70%+- back.also get a discount for being on wc!!!

Wooie1958
05-09-2016, 13:17
I thought the discount was only available for Full Members :confused:

channa
05-09-2016, 14:34
Hi Billi

Pretty sure you are the couple I scared to death just outside Clumber ?

I am surprised you are with safeguard, when I was contracted to sites, they considered living on one commuting which their policies don't cover. I switched to NFU using the Scarborough office. I cant remember why I left them but was a policy issue. NFU by nature do a lot with vans and motorcaravans so possibly may be able to help ?

Short term insurance is dis proportionately expensive, A good broker should be able to advise. Incidentally being told 75 percent refund is great it is on a sliding scale normally, Be mindful though a lot of ins Companies don't tell you there will be a 75 administration charge etc.

Entering a monthly payment plan is fraught with danger too. It is Financed by a bank In Aibs case Close Brothers, You are then into early settlement charges not necessarily favourable on the basis distance selling regs so the agreements are not as favourable as regulated agreements

Channa

channa
05-09-2016, 17:23
Also if it is a change of vehicle there is mileage in the arguments

1)The uninsured maybe unfamiliar with size and performance characteristics
2) The arrival of a new vehicle to a location may arouse the local jackdaws, ( my motorcycle did)

Risk is risk withe pointat which a claim may be made is of no relevance in that context.

Channa

billi
06-09-2016, 13:27

billi
07-09-2016, 12:41
hi david,residents of uk.just work in spain seasonally.

channa
07-09-2016, 13:43
hi david,residents of uk.just work in spain seasonally.

Billi, I am good and sounds like you have had fun ....seasoned pros nowadays ! That night I scared you (sorry) you were setting off, more experienced than me now! Any Aircon work ? ... ...Check with safeguard if you are couriers or similar ...Their policy was SDP...they got real funny me working and living on a site. Pointless having insurance if they won't pay out in a bonafide claim..I switched to NFU and they were very helpful

Channa

ldvconvoy
07-09-2016, 14:20
we are in spain at mo,plan to be back in blighty early nov,but insurance runs out late oct.[we were originally contracted till mid-sept]then plan is to sell motorhome,then buy stealth van or something similar.BUT there could be a gap between selling/buying.
phoned safeguard who will only insure for a year,and not payout if we cancel there policy early!
*ps-dont know what vehicle we are getting yet so safeguard wont change policy over if not a motorhome.*

Try Adrian Flux or One Sure

billi
11-09-2016, 20:20
@ldv,will look into it,thanks.
@channa,there are companies servicing aircon in winter.!!

wildebus
11-09-2016, 20:30
Hi,
Might be too late a reply, but when I insured my VW T4, it was done knowing I would be selling about 3-4 months later, so I told my insurer this and arrranged an standard annual policy, but one which would refund on unused months, and a reduced admin charge for cancellation. (The price was very competitive as well anyway)
This might suit you? Insurer was A-Plan in Thatcham. Call them and ask for Dan :)

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS