PDA

View Full Version : More motor homes stolen

kenj
04-09-2016, 19:04
All these Motorhomes being stolen how many are found!
These Motorhomes are protected by a manufacturers choice of locks that most theives can get into in seconds. The owners are left with a Motorhome that can be taken very easy. So after market security devices are a must then again a £10 £20 device to stop someone taking a vehicle Many of thousands does not stop them. If we could start a post of anti theft. Devices that might make it more difficult to steel.
Any good deterrents tips welcome

Polar Bear
04-09-2016, 19:47
I have a LDV tipper truck that I only use occasionally. I have taken a wire from next to the stop valve on the pump to a Dual Trumpet Air Horn 12 V 150dB Car Truck RV Train Boat Loud | eBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dual-Trumpet-Air-Horn-12-V-150dB-Car-Truck-RV-Train-Boat-Loud-/261969569375?hash=item3cfe9a665f:g:B0wAAOSwd0BVsMI S). under the dash.
With the ignition off I just disconect the wire to the pump and connect the other wire to the horn so if anyone puts their head under the dash to hot wire it they won't be very happy.

My B544 sits on axle stand on my drive with a wheel missing? It's in the garage.

rebbyvid
04-09-2016, 20:44
I have a 2014 Ford Transit and they are being stolen regularly.
I have fitted a Stoplock Pro and then turn the seats sideways to face each other and have a Fiamma bike lock and a chain and padlock .I also park at home wirh the drivers door next to a hedge so it cant be opened without moving the van and making it harder to get to the ECU/OBD unit. Also have a Milenco security lock on the habitation door. Hopefully this will deter the casual scumbag but the professional thief would most probably still get it .Have thought about changing the door lock and getting a locked cover for the OBD but how far do you go when you have plastic windows that a child can prise open.

channa
04-09-2016, 20:50
May I suggest guys you are not too specific re your anti crime modifications this is an open forum and already if I were a thiif providing useful info ...

For me a secreted isolation switch to the fuel system or ignition ..as for where that is for me to know

Channa

wineciccio
04-09-2016, 20:51
the best I have had it was on a Rapido I owned some years back the previous owner fitted an in line break valve, if it was in the on position soon as you pushed the break pedal down , that was it the breaks locked on all four wheels, excellent piece of kit, he left an address of a shop in derby or very near, and I have found it but all you can get now is an in line fuel shut off valve, and I cannot pass any comments as I never had one of those fitted, but it seems a good idea. this is his web address, www.vehicleproducts.co.uk, :cool1::cool1::cool1::cool1::cool1::cool1::cool1:

David & Ann
04-09-2016, 21:01
When I am away for a while I always remove the battery completely from the vehicle. During the winter I jack up the vehicle and stand them on blocks to save the tires. It also serves as a deterent.

kenj
04-09-2016, 21:15
I myself have a immobiliser and a clutch peddle lock with a decent lock.

mandrake
04-09-2016, 21:30
a motorhome must be one of the easiest vehicles to gain entry to no mater what you do to secure it so a simple fuel cut of switch/valve location known only to the owner is going to defeat the cleverest of thieves as no fuel to the engine ,no go anywhere ,and lets face it unless you live on a 20 mile long hill , they may just manage to get a few hundred yard before its dead . mind you just for fun you could always place a piece of thin ply with a few 2inch nails in sharp ends pointing up by the way ,place under a seat cover on the drivers seat the nails cannot be seen in the dark under the seat cover .i believe the thief will get will get the point you dont nick other peoples motors .

kenj
04-09-2016, 21:34
It's called a man trap I like the idea but I have a bad memory and a sore bum:cool1:

yorkslass
04-09-2016, 21:43
a motorhome must be one of the easiest vehicles to gain entry to no mater what you do to secure it so a simple fuel cut of switch/valve location known only to the owner is going to defeat the cleverest of thieves as no fuel to the engine ,no go anywhere ,and lets face it unless you live on a 20 mile long hill , they may just manage to get a few hundred yard before its dead . mind you just for fun you could always place a piece of thin ply with a few 2inch nails in sharp ends pointing up by the way ,place under a seat cover on the drivers seat the nails cannot be seen in the dark under the seat cover .i believe the thief will get will get the point you dont nick other peoples motors .

I can guarantee the first person to sit on it would be me:scared:
I'm with an isolation switch.

mandrake
04-09-2016, 22:20
I can guarantee the first person to sit on it would be me:scared:
I'm with an isolation switch.

yes it a bit of a must to remember the nails next morning .but yes a simple shut off valve renders the van immobile quite soon they dont get far thing is on the old tranny you dont even need the ignition feed turned on a simple wire and screwdriver will start them mind you not many of those old banana engined trannies getting nicked now ,bit long in the tooth nowadays

jacquigem
05-09-2016, 05:46
I like this idea , just worry about my own memory these days!

Nesting Zombie
05-09-2016, 06:50
Yes, Vehicle security is always on my mind, I am a Full time Livaboard, So I guess this helps to a degree, I Also have a Factory Fitted alarm to All vehicle doors & Hatches, With Security Alarm Loop to the Storage Box.& imobilizer to engine, All set with one click of a Button,,,,,!. But,,,it's only as good as the Thieves.
I think we can fit things & take precautions to make it difficult for thieves, But the simple fact is,,,The Public takes VERY little notice of an Alarm, & are very wary of admitting to witnessing a crime or Break in these days. & Thieves know this !.
I don't know what the answer is.....I Had a 'Fog Cannon' Security system fitted to my Boat, 'ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT' !.

Maybe I should splash out for that on 'The Nest' !.

AndyR
05-09-2016, 08:06
I always remove the battery

What a simple and effective idea!

Campercaillie
05-09-2016, 09:07
There are all manner of deterrents available - the more visible the better. My Chausson, on a Transit Mk8 does not have the notorious Tibbe locks that were so vulnerable, but I do use the StopLock Pro steering lock, which I am assured will take a good thief 10 minutes to overcome, making a fair bit of noise in the process. I don't think anything is perfect, but it's important to do SOMETHING to make it a bit more difficult, and hopefully deter!

kenj
05-09-2016, 09:44
I think there is two types of thieves one breaks in to steal. And the other to take the motor home.
The second will not want to damage the van that's where the visible security devices are good and also the hidden. If they take the van I do not think we get the full value back. If they damage the van the repairs are covered apart from any loading on insurance and I would be happier to still have most of my belongings and my van.than have the worry will I get it back?

Katee
24-10-2016, 12:35
Have a look at this Facebook page. Scroll down to October 20th, it shows the system fitted to a works van. The owner says he can fit to Motorhomes as well as van based campers.
PL-Autotek | Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/PLautotek/)

rebbyvid
24-10-2016, 14:03
I have a 2014 Ford Transit and they are being stolen regularly.
I have fitted a Stoplock Pro and then turn the seats sideways to face each other and have a Fiamma bike lock and a chain and padlock .I also park at home wirh the drivers door next to a hedge so it cant be opened without moving the van and making it harder to get to the ECU/OBD unit. Also have a Milenco security lock on the habitation door. Hopefully this will deter the casual scumbag but the professional thief would most probably still get it .Have thought about changing the door lock and getting a locked cover for the OBD but how far do you go when you have plastic windows that a child can prise open.

Done now ;) by ProtectAVan (http://www.protectavan.co.uk/)

sasquatch
24-10-2016, 14:22
My Transit based Hymer Exsis was stolen in June. I was informed by the police that it was the work of a group of travellers who are stealing high end cars and motorhomes for an Irish based gang. They told me that a scrap collector spots them and then they keep watching the vehicle sizing it up and then they pounce. They used a slide hammer to remove the barrel on the hab door,over rid the immobilizer via the OBD port and picked the ignition as well as jamming the tracker. All the devices used can be bought from net dealers and You Tube has videos to demonstrate how to use them.My van 'pinged' an ANPR camera 6 miles away then nothing,where it pinged was about an hour and a half from Holyhead.
There was other information that they gave me but I am keeping that to myself.

invalid
24-10-2016, 15:51
David has the right idea, something simple and cheap, the better the lock the higher the expectation of the thief. If I park anywhere there are always vans that look so much better than mine, expensive plastic things, mine looks fit for purpose and a tool to do the job, many lights and noticeable nonstandard additions.
The thief’s want up-to-date expensive sheds on wheels, make yours look not worth steeling and they will leave it alone.:drive:

mikejay
24-10-2016, 16:10
I fitted an alarm like that to my old van it had a microwave sensor the one you hear chirp as he looks into the cab. It also had a pager that went off indoors when it was set off the thing drove me mad as the kids used to bang the van like he does in the video clip and i would be constantly running out they found it very funny it had all them stupid siren sounds. It did stop my van being stolen when a car full of big blokes tried 1 by 1 to get in and the last guy to try smashed the window and set the alarm off had it all on cctv police did not care. I have now fitted a sigma s30 with microwave module to the van i have now the alarm on the first van cost me about £50.

Mike

mandrake
24-10-2016, 17:53
i dont know if this has been posted on this theft thread but one cheap and easy anti theft device is a couple of quid fuel cut off valve ,placed in your own chosen place ,obviously in the fuel line . and when the few mins that it will take to turn it off not hard realy ,has been taken ,no sod is going to get more than a few miles with your pride and joy are they .in fact i doubt they would get 100 yards down the road before the pressure drop in modern diesels fuel systems says no more ,ive had enough .but then how many would be willing to take the time to fit and activate such effective anti theft devices ,they would rather trust the advanced dealer fitted modern crap thats obviously ineffective after all we all know the internal combustion engine cannot function without its fuel ,even god or urigeller cannot make that happen .

mandrake
24-10-2016, 18:27
oh and i would also put ,i have a caravan on my drive it cost a grand ,but no body can realy nick it because i took 10 mins with a couple of spanners to remove the tow hitch ,quicker than fitting a tow lock and wheel clamp that can be removed in a few mins easy , how many thieves carry a spare tow hitch and bolts .with them .

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS