PDA

View Full Version : Trouble in Killin

gridok
20-04-2009, 00:19
Stayed the night at the car park just before Killin and was woken by a lunatic blasting his horn and driving eratically wheel spinning and showering another motorhome with stones it sounded that he could have been drunk.This happened numerous times and it was quite frightening as i had three young children on board.We had just spent the previous 6 nights wild camping and it just goes to show how vunerable you can be and i think we were just unlucky.

kalamitty
20-04-2009, 07:01
next time is happens just ring for plod as it is illegal to honk horns after 11pm unless in a emergency and there was a good chance the driver was drunk or on drugs would it have not been poss to block their exit route?

Pioneer
20-04-2009, 09:10
Hi gridok,
sorry to hear of your problems in Killin, stayed on that car park a few times, if it's the one near to the council depot, without problems. Usualy a sleepy sort of place, I would have called the Police. Was it an idiot with an exhaust larger than his car? Take the number next time and let the Police pay him a visit.

Happy Camping:)

derekfaeberwick
20-04-2009, 12:26
Not a pleasant experience. Happened to me a few times but in the truck, not my van. Worse still with kiddies on board,but,as you say,just unlucky this time. Don't let it put you off. ;)

bodgerndog
20-04-2009, 20:48
Really sorry to hear you had this problem - must have been frightening. I agree that calling the Plod is the thing to do. Killin is usually fine but like everywhere, you get the drunks and hooligans sometimes. I once took a mobile phone photo through the camper window of a car that puilled up next to us at 3am and the flash sent him away sharpish. (I did check it wasn't the fuzz first!):)

gridok
20-04-2009, 20:57
I forgot to mention that the Motorhome that got showered with gravel got the idiots number and they found his car parked up outside the laundrette.The police were outside the fools property and must have been giving him a good talking too as the squad car was there a few hours.

Pioneer
20-04-2009, 21:08
I forgot to mention that the Motorhome that got showered with gravel got the idiots number and they found his car parked up outside the laundrette.The police were outside the fools property and must have been giving him a good talking too as the squad car was there a few hours.

Great result then.

Happy Camping:)(Quietly):D

bob690
20-04-2009, 21:55
You will get idiots like this from time to time, they are usually drunk or worse because they dont have the courage to do it sober. You must weigh it against all the good people on this site, and put it in perspective. Its easier said than done I know, especially with children. Dont let them win, and good luck for the future....bob

champstar
21-04-2009, 12:11
Did this happen on a friday or Saturday evening?
It is best to avoid areas near these little towns and villages at weekends as that is when most of the local low life come out to play...se my posting about Loch Lubnaig near Callander at weekends. If at weekends try to avoid popular stops near to villages as if the weather is good the locals get drunk and cause mayhem.
PLEASE dont let that put you off wild camping in the Trossachs as there are lots of places that are safe and too far for the idiots to travel to.....Should have tried a few miles on at Ben Lawers visitor centre....no chance of neds there!!!

bodgerndog
22-04-2009, 17:20
It is best to avoid areas near these little towns and villages at weekends as that is when most of the local low life come out to play.

You're absolutely right, champstar...and often the places to avoid are near water - seems to attract 'em - or have all the signs of neds doing regular wheelies. Most of all, avoid large burnt patches, as that's where they take their stolen joyrides to torch them:eek:...I was once in a quiet forestry car park near Eskdalemuir and two cars came screeching in, saw the van and took off again. Next morning the first car was a blackened wreck a mile up the road in a layby.:(

charliedog
05-06-2009, 11:54
we have wildcamped all over the u.k and have met "pond life" on a few occasions,but I must admit it is rare and is usally local young people blowing off steam and innocent campers get a broken nights sleep,so long as they do not damage your property,try to not get involved,is my advice, I have also come across this yobbish behaviour on some "low rent" campsites so stopping wildcamping is not the answer,
P.S my wife and I have found a very good Yob deterant..he is a 2year old staffie/jack russel cross with a bit of tiger thrown in for luck,and beats any fancy security system...HAPPY WILDING.

coolasluck
05-06-2009, 12:19
Hi gridok,
sorry to hear of your problems in Killin, stayed on that car park a few times, if it's the one near to the council depot, without problems. Usualy a sleepy sort of place, I would have called the Police. Was it an idiot with an exhaust larger than his car? Take the number next time and let the Police pay him a visit.

Christ your optomistic Pioneer!!
Like the police would actually turn up! And if they did it would be over 90 minuites later,by then someone could have been a casualty of a hit and run.
They would only be interested after the fact.

Pioneer
06-06-2009, 14:43

Hi coolasluck,
gridok as already answered that one, looks like the Scottish police arrived pretty quickly and sorted it, and so they should. Not all forces would respond so quickly, I agree, depends how busy, etc.

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS