PDA

View Full Version : Shell Island Halloween and Fireworks 28th/29th October

Kev
16-10-2016, 22:51
Anyone going to this years Firework display at Shell Island?
Hopefully it'll be a dry weekend :lol-053:
I'll be going on the Thursday to make sure I got one of my favourite spots before it starts filling up on Friday.... That's the theory anyway.... haha

Nemos Dad
17-10-2016, 07:10
Hi Kev
Yes, we will be going again this year (this will be our 5th visit in 2016! - love the place) Will probably be in one of the fields overlooking the estuary. We are in a Y reg. Rimor, the in-laws in an Autotrail Chieftain. If you see us, drop by for a beer - but bring sweets for the kids!
Pete

Kev
17-10-2016, 10:28
Hi Kev
Yes, we will be going again this year (this will be our 5th visit in 2016! - love the place) Will probably be in one of the fields overlooking the estuary. We are in a Y reg. Rimor, the in-laws in an Autotrail Chieftain. If you see us, drop by for a beer - but bring sweets for the kids!
Pete

Hi Pete.
I think this'll be my seventh or eighth visit this year, can't stay away :D I've been going for many many years and seen a few changes (Who remembers the old shop by the side of the house?) but can't find anywhere else like it.
I'll certainly bring sweets but I may have taken my favourites out first..
We'll hopefully be by the sea overlooking the bay where it drops down to the right just after you've gone past the main toilet block.

Look out for my 'work in progress' Transit :wave:

47511 47512

campervanannie
17-10-2016, 10:48
When you guys go to Shell Island you must tell the guy who runs the shop that you are WC members as he is one too and gets quite disappointed that not a lot of members seem to go he also a great fisherman.

He gave me this for my tea on Friday

mistericeman
17-10-2016, 11:21
Hi Pete.
I think this'll be my seventh or eighth visit this year, can't stay away :D I've been going for many many years and seen a few changes (Who remembers the old shop by the side of the house?) but can't find anywhere else like it.
We'll hopefully be by the sea overlooking the bay where it drops down to the right just after you've gone past the main toilet block.

47511 47512

Sadly not all changes have been for the better.... old George used to rule the place with a rod of iron... seen folks have to move their tent after pitching too close to others....
Bit too keen on grabbing the brass nowadays, still one of my fave spots away from the busiest times ;-)

Kev
17-10-2016, 11:24
When you guys go to Shell Island you must tell the guy who runs the shop that you are WC members as he is one too and gets quite disappointed that not a lot of members seem to go he also a great fisherman.

He gave me this for my tea on Friday

Hi campervanannie.
Who do you mean? The shop is run by the family isn't it? Richard seems to run the whole site now (still remember him as a little lad) but doesn't seem to have much to do with the shop. You see his aunt and cousin in there a lot, can't remember his name... (uh oh...old age creeping in...)
He needs to get posting on here so we can make ourselves known.... :welcome:
Maybe a pitch fee discount for members.... hehe :lol-053:

*Edit* Oops, sorry called you Carol at first... :o

Kev
17-10-2016, 11:32
Sadly not all changes have been for the better.... old George used to rule the place with a rod of iron... seen folks have to move their tent after pitching too close to others....
Bit too keen on grabbing the brass nowadays, still one of my fave spots away from the busiest times ;-)

Very true, the prices have really shot up over the years, not too bad if only one or two of you but dearer than some 'fully serviced' sites as soon as there are three or more of you. But then again, where else can offer those surroundings...

Speaking of old George, don't you think 'young' George is his dad's double? (I use 'young' purely in the context of the sentence... hahaha)

campervanannie
17-10-2016, 12:02
Hi campervanannie.
Who do you mean? The shop is run by the family isn't it? Richard seems to run the whole site now (still remember him as a little lad) but doesn't seem to have much to do with the shop. You see his aunt and cousin in there a lot, can't remember his name... (uh oh...old age creeping in...)
He needs to get posting on here so we can make ourselves known.... :welcome:
Maybe a pitch fee discount for members.... hehe :lol-053:

*Edit* Oops, sorry called you Carol at first... :o

No it's the guy who works in the camping shop behind the counter he is a member on here not an active member cannot remember his name we were there last week only came back on Sunday morning Phil admin was there and I think he is working on a discount as the member who works there introduced Phil Admin to one of the owners sons I think it was about either a discount or a discounted meet out if season.

Nemos Dad
17-10-2016, 12:58
No it's the guy who works in the camping shop behind the counter he is a member on here not an active member cannot remember his name we were there last week only came back on Sunday morning Phil admin was there and I think he is working on a discount as the member who works there introduced Phil Admin to one of the owners sons I think it was about either a discount or a discounted meet out if season.

We know him as Phil The Fish (the clue is in the name...) I think he may also be involved with the trips on the Western Flyer. Good to hear there may be a discount in the pipeline for Members - keep us informed please Phil (Admin, not Fish). Looking forward to seeing you all there on the 28th - Kev, I will look out for you.

campervanannie
17-10-2016, 13:10
We know him as Phil The Fish (the clue is in the name...) I think he may also be involved with the trips on the Western Flyer. Good to hear there may be a discount in the pipeline for Members - keep us informed please Phil (Admin, not Fish). Looking forward to seeing you all there on the 28th - Kev, I will look out for you.
Well Phil the fish is a WC member and told us he had never met another WC at Shell island so I think any members going could make themselves known to him he is a lovely chap he remembered me from a meet he attended nearly 3 years ago.
Wish I could join you guys but I will be in Scotland for the next 2 weeks from Friday.

Nemos Dad
17-10-2016, 14:54
Well Phil the fish is a WC member and told us he had never met another WC at Shell island so I think any members going could make themselves known to him he is a lovely chap he remembered me from a meet he attended nearly 3 years ago.
Wish I could join you guys but I will be in Scotland for the next 2 weeks from Friday.

Indeed - I will go and say hello during our visit. I had no idea he was a WC member - we often have a chat in the shop (whilst my son is buying sweets!) or in the café area. What Phil doesn't know about the art of fishing, aint worth knowing.... Nothing better than fresh mackerel straight from the sea on the Barbie.

kingneptune
23-10-2016, 11:35
Hi folks, looking at going to this, has anyone been before and there is nothing on their website?

mistericeman
23-10-2016, 11:37
Hi folks, looking at going to this, has anyone been before and there is nothing on their website?

http://www.shellisland.co.uk/events.html

This year it will be held 28th – 29th October

For many years we have held a massive firework weekend, .

The Friday night will consist of a Halloween party for both adults and children, including trick or treat around the buildings for the children and fancy dress competition for both.

The Saturday night we host one of the biggest firework displays in the area all to music. Each year has a different theme.

Both evenings there will be a host of live entertainment varying from discos to live acts.

More information will follow as soon as things are confirmed.

Prices for all events

Adult: £9.00 per night

Child: £3.50 per night

Dogs: £2.00 per night (Dogs are not permitted in the marquees)

carol
23-10-2016, 14:13
Just looked at their web site and it says no groups, couples and families only! Surely they can't adhere to that! It's discrimination towards us Billy Nomates! :wacko:

jeffmossy
23-10-2016, 15:19
Just looked at their web site and it says no groups, couples and families only! Surely they can't adhere to that! It's discrimination towards us Billy Nomates! :wacko:

And I thought I was your mate Carol ? ................ :cry:

carol
23-10-2016, 15:28

Oh, go on then! :banana:

campervanannie
23-10-2016, 15:57

We went as a group Carol we just had to book individually and yes they knew we was a WC group.

Admin
23-10-2016, 16:05

They say that so that they can turn away large groups of younger people.

channa
23-10-2016, 16:24

I can be a boyfriend for the night you know, makes a good consort

I scrub up ish ...Geroge CLooney dunt seek me advice for nowt yer know ;):rockroll:

Channa

carol
23-10-2016, 16:27
I can be a boyfriend for the night you know, makes a good consort

I scrub up ish ...Geroge CLooney dunt seek me advice for nowt yer know ;):rockroll:

Channa

That's the best offer I've had all day 😄

channa
23-10-2016, 16:31
That's the best offer I've had all day ��

Best offer I have made all day :wacko:

Anyway up your neck of the woods next couple of weeks or so , One of my pals just been re set on ( don't ask ) at La Terrasse in Saltaire. Hw is trying to get me to help out over Christmas

Channa

snodvan
23-10-2016, 17:55
Hi Pete.

47511 47512
Kev, I certainly do remember the old shop by the house. I was working it out a few weeks ago and my first visit to Shell was summer 1970! Had an old VW splittie van in those days (1200 cc engine. It hated hills). For 30 years from 1972 I had a 1600 Bay Window Dormobile and would be at Shell many times each year. Have been twice this year but regret I cannot make the event next weekend.
Snod

mistericeman
23-10-2016, 18:08
Kev, I certainly do remember the old shop by the house. I was working it out a few weeks ago and my first visit to Shell was summer 1970! Had an old VW splittie van in those days (1200 cc engine. It hated hills). For 30 years from 1972 I had a 1600 Bay Window Dormobile and would be at Shell many times each year. Have been twice this year but regret I cannot make the event next weekend.
Snod

I reckon about the same for me ....Mum and Dad first borrowed a static caravan on "Sunny sands" year I was born 1966 ....then bought a frame tent and started camping at Shell ...

I grew up playing on the derelict series landrovers and abandoned Drott excavator at the back of the main toilet block ...A much nicer and more unspoilt place back then BUT time it right and you can still be as close to wild camping as you can get WITH facilities .

Shell will always have a special place in my heart ....location AND flora/fauna (Though the ticks i could do without ....BUT miss the activity of RAF Llanbedr ) and close enough to Blaenau Ffestiniog to spend time mooching around old slate mines too .

snodvan
24-10-2016, 18:39
MAYBE a change of plan.
Mrs says she is not at work Friday so we COULD travel to Shell Island and camp for the Friday/ Sat nights

Hummm - weather said to be a bit of rain Saturday but I guess we can cope
I DO wish Shell would have some 'leccy hook-ups. Maybe ok for many of you folk in bigger vehicles but at my age and in a very small Romahome the 'leccy is a big advantage.

Snod

Kev
28-10-2016, 15:37
Well, I'm sat here looking out over the bay... The weather is a bit dull but dry and only a slight breeze... so far.... haha. The site is filling up fast, glad I got here yesterday and grabbed one of my favourite spots....
If you're here or coming here look out for my van in 'The Hollows' (down to the right just after toilet block)... White Transit with a silver sunset on the side.... No Wildcamping sticker though cos I want a clear one to stick externally....

snodvan
29-10-2016, 09:07
Kev
Sorry but Mrs says she is not doing Shell without 'leccy at this time of the year

---- and how the heck do you get a wifi signal down in the hollows? Bad enough trying to get one parked by the toilets

Snod

Kev
31-10-2016, 16:17
Kev
Sorry but Mrs says she is not doing Shell without 'leccy at this time of the year

---- and how the heck do you get a wifi signal down in the hollows? Bad enough trying to get one parked by the toilets

Snod

Pity, the weather was very mild and not at all cold, surprising really... The sea was like a millpond and barely even a breeze blowing, not what you'd expect from this time of year.
I sometimes get a strong enough signal on O2 (well, giffgaff) to get online down in the hollows... I managed H+ this time, never had 4G though.

I only saw 1 Wildcamping sticker, it belonged to John (Jon?)
I'm sure there must've been more than the 2 of us... I looked out for Nemos Dad but didn't see him...

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS