PDA

View Full Version : Rhayader Dams

sambeardo
26-10-2016, 20:22
Hi everyone,
I want to take my brother wild camping in a week or so (currently back in UK from Canada)
I drove around the Rhayader Dams in the summer and promised I would take him to see how beautiful the place is.
I have seen on the signs that camping isn't allowed but are they really that hot on it? Considering it will be start of November and I could tuck away somewhere quiet what are the chances of being moved on?
Anybody had any experiences there?
Thanks,
Sam

campervanannie
26-10-2016, 21:28
A couple of us stayed there earlier in the summer with no issues at all.

Paulby
27-10-2016, 06:41
We stayed at CR Claerwen Reservoir in September no sign prohibiting MH parking. Pleasant spot with toilets

hayhiker
27-10-2016, 12:46
Have stayed around the dams in various places including a forestry picnic area and at different times of the year with no problems

Campercaillie
27-10-2016, 12:51
Well worth a visit if you are around the Elan Vally: The Nant-y-Gro dam near Rhayader. This dam was used for testing Barnes Wallis' bouncing bomb before the Dambusters' raid on the Ruhr dams in May 1943. They made a bit of a mess of the dam! (no longer in use) No bouncing bombs were involved at this stage however - they were testing the theory that only a small explosive charge placed against the dam wall would do the job ... and as we now know, it did!

Nant-y-Gro dam today. (http://history.powys.org.uk/history/rhayader/dambuster4.html)

mistericeman
27-10-2016, 14:16
Top gear climbed Claerwen in a S1 landrover some time back in a recreation of the original landrover advert.

Climbing A Dam In A Land Rover - Top Gear - Series 22 - BBC - YouTube (https://youtu.be/7TZTa2tgJTs)

sambeardo
27-10-2016, 19:10
Thank you for all your replies.
Claerwen dam was my favourite when we went so good to hear the carpark at the foot of it would be a good spot. Hopefully the weather will still be positive :D

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS