PDA

View Full Version : Barmouth area-private land.

Veritas
29-04-2009, 14:02
I live near Barmouth in a rural location and over the last three or four years we have had an increase in problems caused by people camping on both our land and that of our neighbours without permission. When approached and politely asked to leave we often get abuse from these campers,some of whom claim they have "a right" to camp wherever they like.

On several occasions fires have been lit and often rubbish has been left behind,we have also had camper vans with loose dogs(in sheep country),one lot roaming around our house and out buildings at 3am and access tracks and passing places blocked by parked camper vans.

So this is a polite request to anyone thinking of camping in the Barmouth area to ask permission first,if there is no one around to ask Do Not just assume you can set up camp,even if the location looks rural.

Thank You.

chopper
29-04-2009, 14:32
that is wrong
we always ask first if were stuck
would never just camp up on some farmers field

by the way how much do you charge to allow people to stop ?

or dont you

we normaly go to nantcol water falls if were barmouth way on
or at the end of the prom on the carpark

silent rider
29-04-2009, 14:45
I live near Barmouth in a rural location and over the last three or four years we have had an increase in problems caused by people camping on both our land and that of our neighbours without permission. When approached and politely asked to leave we often get abuse from these campers,some of whom claim they have "a right" to camp wherever they like.

On several occasions fires have been lit and often rubbish has been left behind,we have also had camper vans with loose dogs(in sheep country),one lot roaming around our house and out buildings at 3am and access tracks and passing places blocked by parked camper vans.

So this is a polite request to anyone thinking of camping in the Barmouth area to ask permission first,if there is no one around to ask Do Not just assume you can set up camp,even if the location looks rural.

Thank You.
ok but why would any body like the decent respectful people on this site do that. From my experiance the campers on here have respect for the natral beauty of the countryside and the land owners. But there are some people who do abuse things

Jacques le foot
29-04-2009, 19:29
Hi Veritas,
I'm very sorry to hear that you are having such problems. I, speaking for myself, and I believe most of the motorhomers on this site, would not dream of infringing on private land, nor would we dream of leaving rubbish behind, or allow our dogs (although I don't have one) to roam free on farm land.
It really sickens me to hear these reports, because, what the minority do, gets us all a bad name, and we are all branded as no better than 'tinkers'.
For the majority, this is not the case, and we are only looking for a quiet spot, with nice views to spend a night. Our mantra is to 'take nothing but photos and memories, and leave nothing but footprints'.
Please don't tar us all with the same brush...most are decent, law abiding folk, with a 'call of the wild' in our hearts.

Jackie ;)

Veritas
30-04-2009, 09:35
Thanks for your replies. I'm not trying to tar everyone with the same brush at all,indeed a few years ago we(that is my family and our neighbours) generally did not mind if the odd van or tent spent a night somewhere out of the way,it is only in the last three or four years since having a number of problems that we will ask all campers to leave,the thing is the majority are probably not going to cause trouble but it is difficult to know when you see a tent or a van parked what the atitude of the occupants will be.

As I said in my first post this is a polite request,no insult meant to those who respect others property.

tresrikay
30-04-2009, 19:16
Thanks for your replies. I'm not trying to tar everyone with the same brush at all,indeed a few years ago we(that is my family and our neighbours) generally did not mind if the odd van or tent spent a night somewhere out of the way,it is only in the last three or four years since having a number of problems that we will ask all campers to leave,the thing is the majority are probably not going to cause trouble but it is difficult to know when you see a tent or a van parked what the atitude of the occupants will be.

As I said in my first post this is a polite request,no insult meant to those who respect others property.

Can I assure you that were any of the offending campers members of this site, then they would be as unwelcome on here as they are on your land.:mad:
As has been posted above, we have only the wish to experience a Vista for a night and leave nothing and take nothing, I even cleaned up a waste bin that had been trashed by Seagulls in the early morning at one wildcamping spot for fear that tha locals would have thought it was us that had left the mess.
We have an unwritten code on here and we would never be responsible of the shocking tales you have posted.:eek::eek::mad:

channa
30-04-2009, 19:34

Thank You.

Two years ago I visited Barmouth with a young lady, albeit it was a day trip in a car no camper.

Firstly what a beautiful area and tbh I was ironically speaking with my partner only last weekend it was an area I would like to visit in more depth.

Has others have eluded too, it saddens me to hear of the experiences you describe. I for one can fully understand your frustration.

Has the farmer last weekend will testify when in the lakes my dog was on a lead at all times with lambing in full midst. He actually sited us at the side of his ' nursery' his Mother 70 something skinning still born lambs to donate to the orphans.

On Saturday a sheep beyond redemption shot...all part of the life, which quite frankly is not my background but privilidged to have insight too.

You are a landowner, speaking for myself and I imagine others here, We collectively fully respect your wishes.

Of course I can be wrong, but i suspect your miscreants would never visit this site.

I am refreshed that in your frustration you have been respectful in your approach and I ewould hope albeit a newbie everyone here would reciprocate this respect

Channa

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS