PDA

View Full Version : Warning La Marina Theft

jacquigem
19-11-2016, 16:30
Had the van broken into today outside Lidl. Just popped in for 10 minutes but that was long enough for a screwdriver through the habitation door lock. Luckily alarm sounded and I guess scared them off with just one bag with nothing of any real value inside. Always thought having to leave one of us with van as OTT but have learned the lesson . Guadamar police confirmed lots of criminal activity nearby.

jacquigem
19-11-2016, 16:31
Forgot to add, any recommendations for repairers near Alicante ?

trevskoda
19-11-2016, 17:04
Sorry to hear but it could have been worse .

GreggBear
19-11-2016, 17:15
Had the van broken into today outside Lidl. Just popped in for 10 minutes but that was long enough for a screwdriver through the habitation door lock. Luckily alarm sounded and I guess scared them off with just one bag with nothing of any real value inside. Always thought having to leave one of us with van as OTT but have learned the lesson . Guadamar police confirmed lots of criminal activity nearby.

Sad state of affairs glad you didn't lose much. shouldn't have to stand guard over things but it looks like the safest bet in some places. Better luck in future.:goodluck::sad: Don't forget Karma's gonna get em
!:dance::hammer::banana:

channa
19-11-2016, 17:19
Not the sort of thing I like to read, I hope you get fixed up pronto with no headaches.

I think your location is unfortunate circumstance could quite well have happened in the UK. The difference I guess in the UK we know the hotspots ,becomes a lottery when we travel abroad.

Get sorted , and enjoy the rest of your break.

Channa

Tim120
19-11-2016, 18:03
Not the kind of thing we like to read about.
Glad the thieving lowlife scaly backed b******s didn't take too much.
Hope you get repair done without too much fuss and continue on and enjoy yourselves.

wakk44
19-11-2016, 18:15
Sad to hear that,a good advert for an alarm system-at least it seems to have scared them off without too much missing.Not much consolation really but it could have been worse.

We always have team terrier in the van who are both very protective and would be vocal if anyone tried to break in,I think a potential opportunistic thief would be deterred by the sight of 2 dogs in the van.

martyncc
19-11-2016, 18:16
Thanks for the heads up... hope its not upset you to much .. tis always a surprise and a shock
when it happens ...thanks for making us all a bit more security conscious ... we all appreciate it

grath
19-11-2016, 19:49
Having been broken into twice in one day, (second time, while reporting first at the Guarda Civil) during my trucking days and not far from where you are, I do understand what you are going through and I sympathise.
I often hear how nice it is in that area, how safe, but I would never venture anywhere near the Valencis, Alicante, Nules, Casteleon in my m/h .
Very sorry to hear what happened, you must not be put off, lesson learned, and go to safer areas. Where is safe is another thing!
I love Spain, but I do find in Portugal, there does seem to be less crime!

I hope the low life's get pi$$ed on!

Jimhunterj4
19-11-2016, 20:07
Blooming scumbags, sorry to hear that

Mul
19-11-2016, 20:29

Reminds me of the time we got bungled over in Bermeo up in the Basque area in 2009. Did you get a Police report ? Reason I ask is, they didn't want to give us one as then it becomes a proper crime they have to record, and looks bad for them and tourism on their figures. If they won't give you a report it could be a sign it's not been officially recorded, which it needs to be.

Glad yur ok.

Chrz Mul.

Fazerloz
19-11-2016, 20:33
Don't become a victim thinking you can never leave the van alone otherwise you are in danger of becoming a prisoner of the van. Its just a unfortunate incident to put behind you. Keep enjoying your travels and don't dwell on it. :cheers:

mikigough
20-11-2016, 05:51
After reading this post I decided to google alarms for motorhome, more headaches for a newbie,which one do you use and why?. Sorry to the op, hope you are ok.
Mickey.

grath
20-11-2016, 07:29
After reading this post I decided to google alarms for motorhome, more headaches for a newbie,which one do you use and why?. Sorry to the op, hope you are ok.
Mickey.

Hi Mike
Strickback by Vanbitz has been known to be the best for quite a few years, not cheap. but is Thatcham 2 - 1

Here is a link
Motorhome Security - Vanbitz (http://www.vanbitz.com/motor-home-security/)

Here is a link on this website, I have not read
http://www.wildcamping.co.uk/forums/motorhome-chat/41337-what-alarm-do-you-have-strikeback-worth-money.html

More info
http://www.vanbitz.com/wp-content/uploads/FACTS-EURO.pdf

Trish1997
20-11-2016, 07:43
Oh dear sorry to hear that. We're not far from there in the camper park though with cctv. Is given me a warning though to put the chains on the door which we've been lax with. Hope they didn't get much? It certainly put a downer on your journey though doesn't it?

wakk44
20-11-2016, 07:47
Mickey.

I have a Sigma alarm fitted to the van.It is mainly designed for cars but works very well with motorhomes too.All the doors(including both garage doors)are alarmed and the internal sensors can be disabled for when the dogs are inside.It's been on the current truck for 4 years,never triggered a false alarm and has been reliable.

channa
20-11-2016, 07:50
Reminds me of the time we got bungled over in Bermeo up in the Basque area in 2009. Did you get a Police report ? Reason I ask is, they didn't want to give us one as then it becomes a proper crime they have to record, and looks bad for them and tourism on their figures. If they won't give you a report it could be a sign it's not been officially recorded, which it needs to be.

Glad yur ok.

Chrz Mul.

A good point, insurance company may well request one. I once had a customer lose his wallet in France the police would not give an incident number when we reported it, their attitude was it was a crime number, and no crime committed, that didn't help the bloke with his insurers.. Eventually they accepted the fact and he was repatriated

Channa

grath
20-11-2016, 07:55
When I was robbed in Spain, (years ago) I reported and received a crime number. I telephoned Sentinel Credit Card Security, all cards were stopped,emergency cash money was sent to me and I received it within the hour. No interest was requested as long as I repaid the emergency money within 4 weeks of receiving an invoice.
I have stayed with Sentinel ever since!

forgot to mention, the emergency money was substantial, as I needed to eat, and fuel a truck to return to the UK

wints
20-11-2016, 14:01
I know it's too late now, but as has been said earlier, if we're on the road, we never, ever, go in the shop / supermarket together....what could I possibly add to her shopping experience? I'm on guard !

In 2006, 8 am, we left the aire at Balaruc-le-Bain and went to the massive hyper place outside Sete. I'm sat on the step of the van thinking how much longer can the girl shop, when a French van parks up close by, young (ish) couple exit and go off shopping...along comes a green renault espace, driver gets out, immediatly breaks into the french van....I'm taken aback somewhat, didn't fancy tackling him by myself in case a few of his mates were waiting close by, but I managed to get a photo (several) of him and the car. Lots of bumping and banging as he emptied drawers / cleared shelves, then he came out with a bag full of loot and made his getaway.
The french couple (and my wife) eventually returned, and all the French could say was 'but we're French, why us ?'...anyway, they got the digital images off me. And that's the last I heard, even though I gave them my email address etc.

You've got to leave the van sometimes, but always alarmed with the strap across the door arms.

As an aside, I could still recognise the robber now..he was the spit of Cain Dingle..seriously.

regards

Allen

David Morison
20-11-2016, 15:17
Sad to hear that,a good advert for an alarm system-at least it seems to have scared them off without too much missing.Not much consolation really but it could have been worse.

We always have team terrier in the van who are both very protective and would be vocal if anyone tried to break in,I think a potential opportunistic thief would be deterred by the sight of 2 dogs in the van.

My next door neighbour's house was broken into mid morning through the back door into the kitchen. Two dogs, one a big labrador and a smaller terrier were in the kitchen but the burglar managed to lock them in the dining room - before ramsacking the house!

alcam
20-11-2016, 16:57
I know it's too late now, but as has been said earlier, if we're on the road, we never, ever, go in the shop / supermarket together....what could I possibly add to her shopping experience? I'm on guard !

In 2006, 8 am, we left the aire at Balaruc-le-Bain and went to the massive hyper place outside Sete. I'm sat on the step of the van thinking how much longer can the girl shop, when a French van parks up close by, young (ish) couple exit and go off shopping...along comes a green renault espace, driver gets out, immediatly breaks into the french van....I'm taken aback somewhat, didn't fancy tackling him by myself in case a few of his mates were waiting close by, but I managed to get a photo (several) of him and the car. Lots of bumping and banging as he emptied drawers / cleared shelves, then he came out with a bag full of loot and made his getaway.
The french couple (and my wife) eventually returned, and all the French could say was 'but we're French, why us ?'...anyway, they got the digital images off me. And that's the last I heard, even though I gave them my email address etc.

You've got to leave the van sometimes, but always alarmed with the strap across the door arms.

As an aside, I could still recognise the robber now..he was the spit of Cain Dingle..seriously.

regards

Allen

So do you go out for meals and drinks separately ? Sounds like the perfect marriage .
Sorry I can't see the point in your van being a prison having to be guarded all the time .

wints
20-11-2016, 17:08
So do you go out for meals and drinks separately ? Sounds like the perfect marriage .
Sorry I can't see the point in your van being a prison having to be guarded all the time .

Very funny...
Read what I wrote...'when on the road...' ie travelling to a site.

When we get there, obviously we leave the van and go out...happily married thanks.

Friends of ours got robbed while they were sat outside their van...robber sneaked in through un-locked passenger door. That was at Chartre Municipal site.

Allen

grath
20-11-2016, 18:18
I think this thread says, we have to be so alert, don't take people or places for granted.
I learned from the robbery against me, and I am now always on my guard, although, we do leave the van, and we both go into supermarkets, we tend to use small towns and villages.
If it feels right, then usually it is, if you have any suspicions, go somewhere else!
Mediterranean Spain, you do have to be on your guard, more so than some other places!

alcam
20-11-2016, 21:00
Very funny...
Read what I wrote...'when on the road...' ie travelling to a site.

When we get there, obviously we leave the van and go out...happily married thanks.

Friends of ours got robbed while they were sat outside their van...robber sneaked in through un-locked passenger door. That was at Chartre Municipal site.

Allen

Sorry you said 'when we're on the road' , I just assumed you meant when you were travelling

n brown
20-11-2016, 22:05
we managed to not get robbed ever during years of travelling , never stayed on sites or aires, but we were just generally aware. aware of the absolute fact that there are hyenas out there looking for a moment of inattention, a bit of carelessness, a bit of complacency, and they'll strike- that's what they do, nothing personal.
our job is to just not forget they're out there, park near other campers, park under lights at nights, draw the blinds so they can't be sure it's empty, accept the fact you might be robbed and keep your real valuables on your person- passport,licence, v5, cards etc.
no need to feel paranoid and frightened,just change your habits and don't get upset if you do get turned over

carol
20-11-2016, 22:11
As I'm planning a trip to Spain this thread is making me slightly nervous. My van isn't alarmed. Do people think it makes much difference? Is it worth getting one installed?

n brown
20-11-2016, 22:22
no idea Carol, some say alarms may give a false sense of security, i never had one,but in my case, using my loaf and having a tatty van seemed to work !

maingate
20-11-2016, 22:28
no idea Carol, some say alarms may give a false sense of security, i never had one,but in my case, using my loaf and having a tatty van seemed to work !

You never got robbed because you looked like the Addams Family. :lol-049:

carol
20-11-2016, 22:30
You never got robbed because you looked like the Addams Family. :lol-049:

That's a bit rude!

n brown
20-11-2016, 22:33
That's a bit rude! ooh ,he's a cheeky monkey !

alcam
21-11-2016, 06:28
As I'm planning a trip to Spain this thread is making me slightly nervous. My van isn't alarmed. Do people think it makes much difference? Is it worth getting one installed?

Not sure why people think they are more likely to get robbed in France/Spain than at home ?
The OP thinks it's necessary to guard the van when stopping at supermarkets , would he do that in Britain ?
Most of us leave our homes empty when we travel is that not a bigger risk ?
Go to Spain and enjoy yourself . I'm a solo traveller ,if I'm not comfortable I move on . Funnily enough that has only happened in England .

phillybarbour
21-11-2016, 06:45
Sorry to hear your news on the theft, glad not much gone for you.

jacquigem
21-11-2016, 08:12

Glad yur ok.

Chrz Mul.

Thanks Chrz , yes we did get a police report. Interestingly the local police in La Marina didnt want to know and sent me to the Guardia Civil in Guadamar who were very helpful. They didnt really want to investigate being lukewarm on my suggestion that they check cctv which appeared to cover my van and not taking a clear fingerprint i pointed out . They did speak english and gave me the report which I may need if i go the insurance route. Thinking of carrying out my own surveillance down there next Saturday !

jacquigem
21-11-2016, 08:15
Mickey.
Thanks Mickey , mine came with van , will try and look up paperwork but others probably more qualified than me to advise although mine appears to have worked well

jacquigem
21-11-2016, 08:30

Please dont let our experience put you off. This is our 3rd year in Spain and the first trouble. I am convinced the alarm scared them off and stopped them looking further than the first bag to grab . We had camera ,lap top and sat nav in separate lockers that were not touched presumably due to lack of time and fear of being discovered. Passports and other valuables either in our safe (strongly recommended) or on our persons. There is some good advice on hear and glad i posted. keep travelling .

jacquigem
21-11-2016, 08:37
Not sure why people think they are more likely to get robbed in France/Spain than at home ?
The OP thinks it's necessary to guard the van when stopping at supermarkets , would he do that in Britain ?
Most of us leave our homes empty when we travel is that not a bigger risk ?
Go to Spain and enjoy yourself . I'm a solo traveller ,if I'm not comfortable I move on . Funnily enough that has only happened in England .
I didnt use to but am now thinking of doing it, after all I dont enjoy the shopping and am only there o carry.

grath
21-11-2016, 09:15
One little tip.
When we leave our van, we usually leave a pair of shoes on the step, thinking that anybody having a quick look may think we are inside, having a kip!

channa
21-11-2016, 09:19
One little tip.
When we leave our van, we usually leave a pair of shoes on the step, thinking that anybody having a quick look may think we are inside, having a kip!

I have read of people doing the same with dog bowls too.

Channa

wints
21-11-2016, 09:22
One little tip.

Sometimes leave a portable radio on if parked on an aire and we're off down the beach or scooting to somewhere, and we've got rotweiller pics in the window, and leave a dog bowl with lead outside.

regards
Allen

grath
21-11-2016, 10:19
We also sometimes leave a radio on, and have used the dog bowl trick, but my crocs are always on the step!:dance:
I think anything which may make them thing are you, or are you not inside, will make them pick a softer target!

carol
21-11-2016, 10:43
One little tip.

I'm surprised your shoes don't get nicked! 😊

alcam
21-11-2016, 10:45
I didnt use to but am now thinking of doing it, after all I dont enjoy the shopping and am only there o carry.

Just wonder the stats re van thefts home and abroad . Only case I know of personally occurred in a decent area in Edinburgh

wakk44
21-11-2016, 10:48

Yes and yes.The OP is convinced that the alarm scared the thieves away,they missed the more expensive items.When an alarm goes off in a busy place like a supermarket car park it is much more effective and disconcerting for the robbers so I think it does make a difference and is worth getting one installed.

grath
21-11-2016, 10:59
I'm surprised your shoes don't get nicked! ��

Me too, but only a pair of cheap imitation Crocs. Small price to pay for the feeling of added security:banana:
By the way, I posted years ago, that I store our dirty yellow wedge blocks on the bike rack. Secured with a ratchet strap.
Members said they would be stollen. Years later. I still do the same and they never went missing!:banana:

n brown
21-11-2016, 12:50
One little tip.
When we leave our van, we usually leave a pair of shoes on the step, thinking that anybody having a quick look may think we are inside, having a kip! when i said we've never been robbed, i meant broken in to. once left a pair of toddler's shoes on the step as they were covered in dog poo. somebody nicked them which saved us having to deal with them. ta, thieving twat !

mikigough
22-11-2016, 00:36
Hi Mike
Strickback by Vanbitz has been known to be the best for quite a few years, not cheap. but is Thatcham 2 - 1

Here is a link
Motorhome Security - Vanbitz (http://www.vanbitz.com/motor-home-security/)

Here is a link on this website, I have not read
http://www.wildcamping.co.uk/forums/motorhome-chat/41337-what-alarm-do-you-have-strikeback-worth-money.html

More info
http://www.vanbitz.com/wp-content/uploads/FACTS-EURO.pdf
Thanks for the info Graham, I checked out the vanbitz strike back, sure is expensive, but like someone on the forum said, 50 odd k for a new motorhome, may as well spend an extra grand trying to keep it safe.
Mickey.

The Nomad
27-11-2016, 16:39
You';re MUCH safer in Spain than in the UK.

Crime rates are much lower. thefts are much fewer, crimes of violence are much fewer. Basically if you make it to the Channel without being robbed, mugged road-rage attacked or stabbed, you're home and dry until you land back at Blighty again.

DJMotorhomer
21-12-2016, 12:39
Forgot to add, any recommendations for repairers near Alicante ?

I realise that it was a while ago since you were broken into but I have only just read your post as only joined a few days ago.

In 2013 I had a malfunction with our hab door in Javea. I took it to Movil Rodan, about half an hour from there. I do not know if you have had it fixed or that they are anywhere near you but I hope it helps.

DJM

spigot
21-12-2016, 15:28
One little tip.

By mistake, I left my crocs on the step in Morocco.......some bugger nicked 'em.

grath
21-12-2016, 15:34
By mistake, I left my crocs on the step in Morocco.......some bugger nicked 'em.

Rough area:lol-049::wacko:

spigot
21-12-2016, 15:54
Allen

The strap across the doors is not such a good idea, Mr Scumbag can run a Stanley knife round the quarterlight rubber seal & lift the glass out in 5secs, cut the strap & he's in.

If you must tie the doors together, use a chain. Personally, I've fitted strong deadbolts to the front doors.

grath
21-12-2016, 16:03
The strap across the doors is not such a good idea, Mr Scumbag can run a Stanley knife round the quarterlight rubber seal & lift the glass out in 5secs, cut the strap & he's in.

If you must tie the doors together, use a chain. Personally, I've fitted strong deadbolts to the front doors.

Totally agree about a strap been useless, and I have said it so many times!
We used to have a chain but not thread through the door arm rest, but fitted a fitting directly to one of the arm rest bolts!
But since changing to A Class with only one cab door, we use good dead locks.
However, if the scum really do want to get in, they will, you just have to deter them and make them think there are easier prey!

DJMotorhomer
21-12-2016, 18:36
I have a cheap deterrent for the would be thief. I place a dog bowl outside the hab door with water in and a dog lead slightly visible. We do not have a dog but it looks like we do, and to date no attempted break ins.

Deadsfo
21-12-2016, 20:57
Dont rate the dog bowl trick ,thieves are low life but not neccesarily stupid ,a bang on the side of the van a couple of times and if nowt barks no dog .A strap as stated is useless I had a wire rope hook each end with one of them things that I have forgot the name of in the middle that tignten the wire rope up

Deleted user 48797
22-12-2016, 06:07
I have a cheap deterrent for the would be thief. I place a dog bowl outside the hab door with water in and a dog lead slightly visible. We do not have a dog but it looks like we do, and to date no attempted break ins.

I also carry one, I call it my Dog 1 Alarm.
Bd..

grath
22-12-2016, 06:33
All of these idea's help.some more than others and as the saying goes, "every little helps"
Just use a few of these tricks and enjoy! if they really want to get inside, they will, but these tricks might just persuade the criminals to rob a different van!

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS