PDA

View Full Version : france now ???

dogmanlpool
05-05-2009, 08:01
hello every one new on here ?
anyway just got back from a drive across france went in my car as i needed to get across to spain ? an i was GUTTED that i never took my motorhome ? as the facilites for motorhomes is fantstic ( aires ) slept in a few along the way in my car ? the fuel is very expensive (petol) 1 .35 euro (deisel) 1.03 and also stay off the tolls really expensive ? also the police pulled me for speeding ?????? a french car went past me at speed i was only doin the limit 130kmh / 80mph ? when i seen the police put the radar gun on him jump in there car and pulled me ????? and said i was doin 151 kmh :eek:and charged me 80euro on the spot:eek: ??? and then let me go ?? tryed to argue my case but got nowhere ?they where just interested in the money ??? so people beware ? has not put me off as am planning to go back in my motorhome in a few weeks for a couple of months cause i seen some luvly places along the way / spoke to a few luvly motorhomers along the way offered me cups of tea
great people (thanks ) to them . i think i could fulltime over there for about 100 per week ? so if any one knows how to do it cheaper please let me know hahah ? if i can help with any questions about france as i have been back about 2 days dnt hesitate to ask as its still fresh in my mind THANKS:D

channa
05-05-2009, 08:55
hello every one new on here ?
anyway just got back from a drive across france went in my car as i needed to get across to spain ? an i was GUTTED that i never took my motorhome ? as the facilites for motorhomes is fantstic ( aires ) slept in a few along the way in my car ? the fuel is very expensive (petol) 1 .35 euro (deisel) 1.03 and also stay off the tolls really expensive ? also the police pulled me for speeding ?????? a french car went past me at speed i was only doin the limit 130kmh / 80mph ? when i seen the police put the radar gun on him jump in there car and pulled me ????? and said i was doin 151 kmh :eek:and charged me 80euro on the spot:eek: ??? and then let me go ?? tryed to argue my case but got nowhere ?they where just interested in the money ??? so people beware ? has not put me off as am planning to go back in my motorhome in a few weeks for a couple of months cause i seen some luvly places along the way / spoke to a few luvly motorhomers along the way offered me cups of tea
great people (thanks ) to them . i think i could fulltime over there for about 100 per week ? so if any one knows how to do it cheaper please let me know hahah ? if i can help with any questions about france as i have been back about 2 days dnt hesitate to ask as its still fresh in my mind THANKS:D

Firstly welcome, and I am glad you enjoyed your trip to France albeit you ended up spending 80 euros more than you would have liked.

There is a silver lining on the speeding charge though, there has been talk between Britain anf france for sharing offences commited and thje offences carrying points.

That aside , You are spot on re the aires, a lot of them which are free put commercial campsites here to shame.

Has for full timing in France, which I did last year for 9 months I reckon your 100 figure is about right excluding fuel. I worked out it was costing me around 15 euros a day to live and with the current exchange rate as it is equates to 100.

One thing you do need to check if you are full timing is your insurance, a lot of insurers only allow 6 months continental cover, However I found a company called safeguard with whom I had 365 day out the country cover.

The only other issue is gas. If you have calor it isnt much use. But a trip to one of the large supermarkets will see you get fixed up with regulator and bottle for about 25 euris and refills ar 16 euros.

Life is far more relaxed there and would like to return. last year I was lucky enough to find work. This year a touch more difficult. But still trying

good luck if you take the plunge

Channa

dogmanlpool
05-05-2009, 12:31
Firstly welcome, and I am glad you enjoyed your trip to France albeit you ended up spending 80 euros more than you would have liked.

There is a silver lining on the speeding charge though, there has been talk between Britain anf france for sharing offences commited and thje offences carrying points.

That aside , You are spot on re the aires, a lot of them which are free put commercial campsites here to shame.

Has for full timing in France, which I did last year for 9 months I reckon your 100 figure is about right excluding fuel. I worked out it was costing me around 15 euros a day to live and with the current exchange rate as it is equates to 100.

One thing you do need to check if you are full timing is your insurance, a lot of insurers only allow 6 months continental cover, However I found a company called safeguard with whom I had 365 day out the country cover.

The only other issue is gas. If you have calor it isnt much use. But a trip to one of the large supermarkets will see you get fixed up with regulator and bottle for about 25 euris and refills ar 16 euros.

Life is far more relaxed there and would like to return. last year I was lucky enough to find work. This year a touch more difficult. But still trying

good luck if you take the plunge

Channa

thanks for the reply ? am glad they never give me points haha ?
so where do you go when your full timeing ? because i watched a programe the other week ? cant rember who it was ? but anyway they where in a old 4x4 and traveled up through poland up to russia looked brilliant would realy like to do it ? i ended up in a french town called PAU ?? luvly place defo goin back to there for a good look round ? am goin to take 2 full gas bottles with me so see how long they last ? just want to see as much as i can and stay off them toll roads as much as i can ? haha so av you ever had any problems in the (aires) an you are correct they are alot better than most of are sites i think are country wont to have a good look at what the french provide for motor homers THANKS KEITH:D

channa
05-05-2009, 12:47
Pau yes that is a nice place down in the Pyreenees, I ventured down there for a month. St Pierre St Martin, Giverney. Artouste all places I stopped on my travels. I came down the west coast from the Dordogne area where I had been working. Again some lovely aires along the way although they can get busy in August.

TBH I wanted to visit the Pyreenees but decided too in August when the weather at lower altitudes was a bit hot for the dog I thought.

I never had any problems on aires. At one near Agen there was evidence of youngsters drug dealing. But it didnt effect me in any way.

TBH you cant go far wrong in France and often if you do get stuck supermarkets are happy to let you use their car park for a night.

The only thing I would guarantee is that you will enjoy it !!

Have fun

Channa

frankiaman
06-07-2009, 15:44
We are new to motorhomes and only have one weekend under our belt in West Wales Neddless to say we are addicted and plan 6 weeks in France starting very soon. We want to start at Calais an do Paris then West and South and would appreciate any cheap prime spots that won't get the kids too bored, ideally where other campers might be, safe and friendly, beaches and rivers lakes etc
Tom
Frankiaman

dogmanlpool
09-07-2009, 06:02
hello and welcome ? france was made for motorhoming some great places to stop and plenty of {aires} just go and enjoy your self last time i was there i was in a car ? just brilliant anyone on here will agree britain need to take a leaf out of frances book and look after us motorhomers cause all we do is go and spend are money abroad cause they cant or wont acomadate us proply in britain ? dnt make plans ? you will enjoy it more just goin for it ? try learn a few basic french words though ? :)

guerdeval
09-07-2009, 11:25
Glad you enjoyed France, on the subject of gas, you might pass a few places mostly on the outskirts of towns called EMMAEUS, these and the many DEPOT VENTE often sell used gas bottles for a couple of euros that you can exchange as normal at the garages/supermarkets, GASLOW sell the appropriate valve and long gaspipe to suit French or Spanish bottles, next time visit Brittany,you'll get change out of your 100.

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS