PDA

View Full Version : Mina de sao Domingoss

kensowerby
06-12-2016, 07:34
Hello, what is happening at this site have just been told that the Garda came and fined everybody 30 and moved them on, any info please.
Ken

grath
06-12-2016, 07:49
When we were there earlier this year, we did see a sign clearly stating no motorhomes past a certain point, which was just before entering the hedged parking bays.
However M/H's were parked inside this area, so we did similar.
Later that day, the Guarda came around and told us all to move, to the more open area (where you first drive in) or face a fine.
I think you may find, it is not an official aire, but gets tolerated to a certain point.
The borne is on the main road!

rugbyken
06-12-2016, 08:40
we were there twice this year en route as we returned were told that the council had been down discussing making it a pay aire, a dutch guy said that national goverment had circulated local councils advising them that motorhomes were a good revenue scource,
a brit couple had returned while we were away who had spent 7 months there last year and were set up to do the same again, on the way down south we stopped for 3 nights the cafe bar was open and at the weekend there was no parking for locals,

kensowerby
07-12-2016, 07:22
Hi Many thanks for the information, heard the news and wanted to know what was going on as we are off to Portugal in Feb. and wondered which way to go, me thinks I will stick to the west side, once again many thanks.
Ken.

grath
07-12-2016, 07:59
There is plenty of other parking at Domingos, but not with a view of the lake.
Don't forget the old mine and Mine Lake with a red, orange yellow and green coloured stone bank!

On the way down, check out Barragem Povoa and Monsaraz with the largest Barragem

See Monsaraz thread in Overnight Stops Section

grath
07-12-2016, 09:52
This is the fantastic location at Domingos, but not a proper aire. There is parking about 300 metres away!
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff262/tramperbucket/fullsizeoutput_2a2_zpswwxj5edk.jpeg (http://s240.photobucket.com/user/tramperbucket/media/fullsizeoutput_2a2_zpswwxj5edk.jpeg.html)

wildman
07-12-2016, 10:08
Hello, what is happening at this site have just been told that the Garda came and fined everybody 30 and moved them on, any info please.
Kenif table and chairs are outside you are camping and hence fined, nothing outside and you are parked that's fine/no fine, hee hee

grath
07-12-2016, 12:40
if table and chairs are outside you are camping and hence fined, nothing outside and you are parked that's fine/no fine, hee hee

To be fair to the Guarda, when they came around to Domingos, they couldn't care less, about tables and chairs, the guy was quite nice and polite but firmly told us to move to the more open area before the next morning.
It was quite understandable as a holiday weekend was coming!

rugbyken
07-12-2016, 13:48
i understand the guarda had been earlier in the summer and moved everyone to the parking place about 300 mts away because there was a canoeing festival on, apparently it came out during the councillors walkabout that the water and sewerage were part of the lease held by the cafe owner and the area on the opposite side was owned by the hotel over the road , still a lovely spot .489404894148942

grath
07-12-2016, 17:57
One thing is for sure! Coming from the south west, is is one of the worst corrugated road surfaces, and going north is nearly as bad for a while!
This did put us off returning when we were in Portugal later in the year!
But it is a nice location and there is parking without overlooking the Bgm!
For vans without showers, these are available in the town. It was an old mining town and I assume are left over miners facilities

vindiboy
08-12-2016, 09:27
Have any of you wandered The old town at Domingos and found the Miners House museum and seen how the Miners lived in the day, the town is getting updated with new roads etc , what about the observatory in the hotel and the cinema ,how many of you have been in these, I hope they do make the Domingos parking a pay Aire and set a time limit on stays there as many abuse the facility, why not try POMARERO whilst there it is another great stopover place with miles of walks, bars and Restaurants near too.:tongue::tongue:

grath
08-12-2016, 10:06
Have any of you wandered The old town at Domingos and found the Miners House museum and seen how the Miners lived in the day, the town is getting updated with new roads etc , what about the observatory in the hotel and the cinema ,how many of you have been in these, I hope they do make the Domingos parking a pay Aire and set a time limit on stays there as many abuse the facility, why not try POMARERO whilst there it is another great stopover place with miles of walks, bars and Restaurants near too.:tongue::tongue:

Yes we have walked around the town, down to the miners lake and around the old mine, and parked up on the very large concrete slab under the pine tree's, which is a few hundred metres past the tolerated aire.
Used the toilets which also have showers.
And yes we have been to Pomaero on the scooter and the Spanish Kids on a school trip, practicing their English on us!:wacko:

We did all that on a two night stay!

witzend
08-12-2016, 10:47
POMARERO whilst there it is another great stopover place with miles of walks, bars and Restaurants near too.:tongue::tongue:

And yes we have been to Pomaero on the scooter !

Help please Two Spellings but Google never heard of either

Edina
08-12-2016, 10:56
Pomarao

https://s19.postimg.org/im36h4ogz/pomarao.png

grath
08-12-2016, 11:41
Just got back in myself, spot on Pomarao!
I never could spell!!lol

grath
08-12-2016, 11:52
Also while in the area, check out Mertola. It is possible to overnight down by the river, however we have visited, but pushed on to Domingoss. We should have stayed!
It is only a few miles away! (west)

witzend
08-12-2016, 14:31
Also while in the area, check out Mertola. It is possible to overnight down by the river, however we have visited, but pushed on to Domingoss. We should have stayed!
It is only a few miles away! (west)

Have been to both and stayed but at Mertola stayed in carpark up by a roundabout Dommingoss side only noticed the aire down by river when leaving should imagine a hard walk up to town from down there.

grath
08-12-2016, 14:36
Have been to both and stayed but at Mertola stayed in carpark up by a roundabout Dommingoss side only noticed the aire down by river when leaving should imagine a hard walk up to town from down there.

Yes, it is a little steep, can't say more as all we did was drive down, got out and had a look and drove on towards Domingoss. I really did wish we had stayed.
There was two French and one Italian vans there!
We wanted somewhere we could sit out in the chairs, and we felt this might have been a no no!
It also looked like it might have been possible to stay across the river

vindiboy
08-12-2016, 18:37
Help please Two Spellings but Google never heard of either

Google Maps (http://tinyurl.com/jddvozh) OOOPPPS it is POMARAO Selpenig was nvere my srtnog piont Hee Hee but you can sitll raed it ?

vindiboy
08-12-2016, 18:41
Have been to both and stayed but at Mertola stayed in carpark up by a roundabout Dommingoss side only noticed the aire down by river when leaving should imagine a hard walk up to town from down there. I have stayed on the Harbour at Mertola , bit steep going down but OK, I had a tag axle Hymer at the time, water tap down there and easy walk to the town via the Castle. the Harbour CAN flood at times so beware, I have photos on disc somewhere , if I can find them I will post some later.

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS