PDA

View Full Version : Just wondered

grath
07-12-2016, 18:06
Just wondered, how many of us have already booked ferry's or chunnel crossings for next year!
I will start it.
We have a return DFDS Newhaven Dieppe crossing booked.
and we have done what we always said we never would, as it is a rip off!
We have booked BF Plymouth Santander for a little or BIG treat for mrs G, as it is our 40th wedding anniversary!
It still hurts!:sad:

Pauljenny
07-12-2016, 18:20
Congratulations, in advance.

Hope you have a smooth crossing and Biscay treats you kindly.
We try hold off booking the ferry until 4 days beforehand... It's tempting fate,booking too far in advance.
Mind you we are lucky to be able to avoid travelling at peak times.

witzend
07-12-2016, 18:22
We have booked BF Plymouth Santander for a little or BIG treat for mrs G, as it is our 40th wedding anniversary! It still hurts!:sad:

We have a return booked for March Ros / Ply But is the Ply / Santander so bad as we've looked at it before and though it wasn't so bad costed against driving thru France (will never do it as no weather guarantee offered)

Wooie1958
07-12-2016, 18:27
Nope, would normally only book a week or so in advance depending on the weather unless ........................................

Mr P&O wants to give me an offer i can`t refuse like last year, 37.44 including a 20 meal voucher :dance:

carol
07-12-2016, 18:56
I've booked Portsmouth to Santander for the 20th January... anyone else around there then? Or on the ferry? Would be nice to have some company. I don't usually book so far in advance but worried the cabins might get scarcer. And it was a way of committing to going! 😊

grath
07-12-2016, 19:02
I've booked Portsmouth to Santander for the 20th January... anyone else around there then? Or on the ferry? Would be nice to have some company. I don't usually book so far in advance but worried the cabins might get scarcer. And it was a way of committing to going! 😊

Carol, if you go down via Valladolid the aire is not good, just a car park, but about 20km north there is a little town/ village called Ampudia.
I have/will posted a new thread with a photo.

Steveboy
07-12-2016, 19:35
Dover Calais Jan 6th then tell nose to sniff south and wander at will till June. Wonder where I'll end up? :dance:

carol
07-12-2016, 19:37
Carol, if you go down via Valladolid the aire is not good, just a car park, but about 20km north there is a little town/ village called Ampudia.
I have/will posted a new thread with a photo.

Thanks, have found it in the Aires book. Feeling nervous. France is so much easier!

grath
07-12-2016, 19:39
Thanks, have found it in the Aires book. Feeling nervous. France is so much easier!

Yes I agree with you Carol, as in France there are aires everywhere, but Spain is ok, they just don't like you putting tables and chairs out!

5andy
07-12-2016, 19:52
We have Portsmouth to Bilbao booked for NEXT WEDNESDAY! Whooooooo! We will probably come back via Calais or Dunkirk. nothing booked but unfortunately have to come back early Feb.
Sandy

Cass
07-12-2016, 20:08
We have booked Dover to Calais in June, get a quick trip in before the School hols, back in August with the little one, and flying to Tenerife for the October half term.

POI Admin
07-12-2016, 20:15
We have Portsmouth to Bilbao booked for NEXT WEDNESDAY! Whooooooo! We will probably come back via Calais or Dunkirk. nothing booked but unfortunately have to come back early Feb.
Sandy

I am booked on the same crossing on the 27th ...

Let us know how you get on please.

5andy
07-12-2016, 20:17
Hi Carol
if you are still heading for Cullera, we would be happy to be there around your ETA for a couple of nights. At least it would be a mini meet of at least 3!
Sandy and Christine.

The laird
07-12-2016, 20:30
Sandy

Grrrrrr yugh!hope you and Chris both have a great crossing and time mate,merry Xmas and awe the best when it comes .will be thinking of you both
Regards Fiona and Gordon

5andy
07-12-2016, 20:41
Thanks Gordon, we will give it a real go anyway! Obviously we wish yourself and Fiona all the best and ver the festive period and hope you and the whole family have a great time!

wakk44
07-12-2016, 21:22

Don't worry,there are lots of safe wildcamping spots throughout Spain and Portugal.Admittedly there are also many aires in France but most of them are closed for the winter with the water switched off,although it is usually still possible to overnight on them(but some close the barriers).I have done both routes,driving through France and the N.Spain ferry,if I book again it will be the Spanish route for me.I would sooner pay the extra ferry cost and risk the bay of Biscay which was like a duck pond when we went across it.

carol
07-12-2016, 22:07
Hi Carol
if you are still heading for Cullera, we would be happy to be there around your ETA for a couple of nights. At least it would be a mini meet of at least 3!
Sandy and Christine.

Thanks Sandy but I've no idea when I'll get to Cullera. I'm hoping to meet up with 2 people from another group in Santander, both strangers so who knows? No doubt I'll be shouting out on here for fellow travellers!

5andy
07-12-2016, 22:31
Thanks Sandy but I've no idea when I'll get to Cullera. I'm hoping to meet up with 2 people from another group in Santander, both strangers so who knows? No doubt I'll be shouting out on here for fellow travellers!
Excellent, sounds good. Let's keep in touch.

PinkFlowerPetal
07-12-2016, 22:39

Carol, I am in Portugal at the moment and not returning home 'till the middle to end of March, so perhaps we could meet up somewhere, sometime!
Jackie x

Wooie1958
08-12-2016, 05:02
Yes I agree with you Carol, as in France there are aires everywhere, but Spain is ok, they just don't like you putting tables and chairs out!

So is it safe to assume that my awning, windbreaks, generator, BBQ, washing line etc.etc.etc. won`t go down well either :confused: :sad:

wakk44
08-12-2016, 06:59
So is it safe to assume that my awning, windbreaks, generator, BBQ, washing line etc.etc.etc. won`t go down well either :confused: :sad:

Correct,I don't think you would be very popular with all that lot.In my experience the French seem to be the biggest culprits for hogging the aires.I have seen them on some of the most popular aires sat under their awnings blissfully unaware that other motorhomers are driving up and down looking for a space.

grath
08-12-2016, 07:30
There are aires and aires, some you can and some you can't
However this is not what the thread is about, it is about have you channel crossings booked:hammer:

The laird
08-12-2016, 07:36
I was thinking on a wee jaunt after Xmas from Newcastle or hull any suggestions folks?

wakk44
08-12-2016, 07:36
There are aires and aires, some you can and some you can't
However this is not what the thread is about, it is about have you channel crossings booked:hammer:

Apologies for going off topic Graham,it's quite remarkable how threads can drift.

I haven't booked any channel crossings yet,we have a dog that is ill at the moment.All being well I intend to book in the new year for our France trip next May.Not sure which crossing yet,could be Dover/Calais,the tunnel or even Newhaven/Dieppe now we qualify for the codgers discount.

grath
08-12-2016, 07:42
Apologies for going off topic Graham,it's quite remarkable how threads can drift.

I haven't booked any channel crossings yet,we have a dog that is ill at the moment.All being well I intend to book in the new year for our France trip next May.Not sure which crossing yet,could be Dover/Calais,the tunnel or even Newhaven/Dieppe now we qualify for the codgers discount.

Thanks, no problem at all Steve, it is the nature of forums, I just mentioned it so as to get back on thread.
We have for the last few years used the Newhaven / Dieppe crossing and have found it extremely cost effective as it saves about 5 hrs engine running time on a return journey and, mostly is, or was no more expensive than the shorter crossings.
I have noted prices are rising!

IanH
08-12-2016, 08:13
Hi

We booked, back in October, Portsmouth to Santander and back for early April 2017

We couldn't get the return cabin we wanted as all the others were full!!!

Better get a move on, then, and get booked for Plymouth/Roscoff and Cherbourg/Poole for Sept!!

carol
08-12-2016, 08:20
Thanks, no problem at all Steve, it is the nature of forums, I just mentioned it so as to get back on thread.
We have for the last few years used the Newhaven / Dieppe crossing and have found it extremely cost effective as it saves about 5 hrs engine running time on a return journey and, mostly is, or was no more expensive than the shorter crossings.
I have noted prices are rising!

I like that crossing too. Dieppe is delightful, especially on market day (Saturday). For those who don't know, people over 60 get a 20% discount when booking by phone.

carol
08-12-2016, 08:23
Carol, I am in Portugal at the moment and not returning home 'till the middle to end of March, so perhaps we could meet up somewhere, sometime!
Jackie x

Hi Jackie, that would be brilliant. Are you in your van or static? Could we swap details via pm?

jeffmossy
08-12-2016, 10:30
:mad2: Unfortionaly some of us still work and have jobs to go too :mad2: , you lucky peps enjoy and one day we hope to do the same

carol
08-12-2016, 16:35
:mad2: Unfortionaly some of us still work and have jobs to go too :mad2: , you lucky peps enjoy and one day we hope to do the same

There has to be something good about getting old! 😄

wildman
08-12-2016, 16:47
We shall be going again next year probably later in the year but will book closer to the time.

rugbyken
08-12-2016, 16:55
just below santander the aire at caberenco the Elephant park is good or if you offload early enough and want to do a few miles the aire at Palencia is good i've stopped a couple of times and although it's central couple of turns and your on the ring road ,

wakk44
08-12-2016, 18:52
There has to be something good about getting old! ��

I like this quote about ageing.................

It just about says it all for me,I never want to lose that enthusiasm I feel when setting off in the motorhome on a new adventure.

grath
08-12-2016, 18:58
just below santander the aire at caberenco the Elephant park is good or if you offload early enough and want to do a few miles the aire at Palencia is good i've stopped a couple of times and although it's central couple of turns and your on the ring road ,
Ampudia is just half of one hour away!:lol-053:

witzend
08-12-2016, 19:09
Palencia is good i've stopped a couple of times and although it's central couple of turns and your on the ring road ,

I've used this a few times the last time I was told of a new aire out by the main road. I didn't look and he hadn't been able to find it

kensowerby
08-12-2016, 21:58
Hi. Palencia gets full very early in the afternoon, so now I give it a miss an go straight to Ampudia, also it's nice and quiet, enjoy your travels.
HAPPY XMAS EVERYONE
Ken :cheers::cheers:

tjay
08-12-2016, 22:38
WE have booked DFDS Dover - Dunkirk out mid August driving to Salou and then stopping at a club rally in south of France in September , returning home to Scotland first week in October !!
We have many rallies to attend from now until then, starting with a 5 day New Year Rally !!

Stanski
09-12-2016, 12:34
I guess not many going this route but here is some info if you are.
I have included costs as I am interested in general expense of travelling and would like to have this knowledge from others in order to plan future adventures so assume others would also maybe.
We shall be going to get back to UK in March usually via Calais or Dunkirk to Dover so curious what costs would be then.

Our MH is 6.5m long, 2.5m high with roof aerials and fittings.

Pembroke to Rosslare
Booked with Irish Ferries for 19 Dec 16 at 2.30am - 130 for MH +2.

Rosslare to Cherbourg
Booked with Stena for 06 Jan 17 at 4pm - 180 inc cabin for MH +2.

This route to Cherbourg is our first time so twill be interesting, hoping to see the shores of Spain in Winter also for the first time, with an intention to get to Morocco if we can.

DJMotorhomer
18-12-2016, 12:09

We sail the same route but on January 7 :cry::o

DJM

DJMotorhomer
18-12-2016, 12:14
We sail Jan 7th one way Portsmouth to Santander. Did not fancy driving through France in January as it's prone to snow.

Touring for 6 months Spain, Portugal, France and Italy. Will return via Dunkirk with DFS (they are classed as a carrier so cheaper than P&O etc) as last time we did this at the last minute well sailed back for 29 !

DJM

2cv
18-12-2016, 14:25
I was thinking on a wee jaunt after Xmas from Newcastle or hull any suggestions folks?

I did Newcastle Amsterdam last year, car not van though. It certainly cuts down the miles compared to crossing further South, but quite a lot of rock and roll even mid summer! I'm not sure but think they might be down to one ship on the route at this time of year due maintenance.
Apparently the King is nicer than the Princess. I used the Princess both ways and found it fine.
If you don't take a vehicle there are buses into the city, think it's about an hour.

carol
18-12-2016, 16:32
We sail the same route but on January 7 :cry::o

DJM

You're a couple of weeks ahead of me then. I'll watch out for heads ups re Aires etc! 😊

tjay
19-12-2016, 22:41
Been reading about folk trying to save miles by sailing from Newcastle to Holland and then to Spain !! got me thinking (not a great idea lol !!)
Anyway we are heading to Salou in May for about 8 weeks so worked out the difference in costs between DFDS to Imjuiden and Dover -Dunkirk, quite interesting.
We have a 7.2 metre motorhome, and a dog !! details as follows,

Dundee - Newcastle 185 Mls x 2
Ijmuiden - Salou 1043 mls x 2 (No toll roads used Autoroute)
Total 1413 x 2 = 2826 mls
Average 27 mpg 104 Gallons fuel. x 2 (return leg) costs approx 4.50 gallons = 482:00
Ferry (return including dog booking cost at 10:30 pm tonight) 609:00
TOTAL = 1091:00

Dundee -Dover 560 mls
Dunkirk -Salou 885 mls
Total 1445 mls x 2 2890mls (no tolls)
Average 27 mpg 108 gallons costs as above = 492:00
Ferry Return including dog booked at 10:40 tonight = 118:00
TOTAL = 610:00

A total saving of 481 :00 this will cover our site fees when in Salou and still have some left to spend at the pub and eat out too !!
I do realise that some folk will take the route that suits them but as we are both retired and in no rush we will always use the Dover crossing as it is far easier on our dog as he is in our motorhome for only 2 1/2 hours as opposed to the 17 hours in a kennel going to Ijmuiden.
As you can see from above , not a lot of difference in the miles travlled but a hell of the difference in ferry costs !!

BTW think this applies more to any of the south coast crossings to Spain for us too, far to expensive !!!

What do the other campers do ???

DJMotorhomer
20-12-2016, 19:54

We are heading for caberenco for an overnight

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS