PDA

View Full Version : Taps on OpenStreetMap

POI Admin
22-01-2017, 18:40
Suffering almost continuous heavy rain for the fourth consecutive day my thoughts turned to water (or rather, taps).

Browsing on OpenStreetMap I noted that here in Spain at any rate drinking water taps are marked.

Next puzzle was how to search for them. Then I remembered Osmand which provides offline satnav apps based on OSM.

I installed the app - I haven't tried it before but other members have recommended it - and I discovered that POIs within Osmand include 'Drinking water'. These are included within the Food POI group.

So you can search for Food POIs nearby and find taps.

Not all will be road accessible for instance drinking fountains. But many will be usable.

I have been unable to test this for the UK. Perhaps an existing Osmand user could give this a try?

britcoms
23-01-2017, 15:29
I have been unable to test this for the UK. Perhaps an existing Osmand user could give this a try?

Yes, they are there!

John Thompson
23-01-2017, 19:20
Suffering almost continuous heavy rain for the fourth consecutive day my thoughts turned to water (or rather, taps).

Browsing on OpenStreetMap I noted that here in Spain at any rate drinking water taps are marked.

Next puzzle was how to search for them. Then I remembered Osmand which provides offline satnav apps based on OSM.

I installed the app - I haven't tried it before but other members have recommended it - and I discovered that POIs within Osmand include 'Drinking water'. These are included within the Food POI group.

So you can search for Food POIs nearby and find taps.

Not all will be road accessible for instance drinking fountains. But many will be usable.

Unless they are marked as Non Potable/Not for Drinking, they are good water inspected and tested. Every village in Spain has to provide water for travellers somewhere by law. If a tap is unmarked it has to be fit for drinking. Many properties in Spain are not on a piped water supply and the locals use these taps and Fuentes (spring) as their supply or buy water by the tanker load, even in villages and small towns.

We have a different system in the UK with privatised, metered, water supplies.

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS