PDA

View Full Version : Cherbourg

horace
16-05-2009, 15:46
Hi all, we are about to go to Manche and our ferry arrives at 9PM and we were wondering is these was anywhere safe to park close to the port, any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Horace and Kathy

grath
16-05-2009, 15:51
Hi all, we are about to go to Manche and our ferry arrives at 9PM and we were wondering is these was anywhere safe to park close to the port, any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Horace and Kathy

Parked there many times with a truck and a few times with the Hymer.
Park near to the Esso station or near the entrance to the ferryport.

LOC
16-05-2009, 17:13
I have parked a few times in the car park of the port but there is also a very good spot quite near. When you exit the ferry port at the roundabout take the first exit. This road is parallel to the road you exited at the ferry port. Through the first roundabout and then turn right at the sign for the museum. Drive past the museum and there is a very good spot backed against the submarine fence. You are right on the water and you should have plenty of other MHs for company. It is only 2 minutes drive from the ferry port
Enjoy your trip.

Len

grath
17-05-2009, 19:09
Personally, if I were heading south at that time I would go a couple of hours and stop at a supermarche at Averanches or Granville:)

Belgian
17-05-2009, 19:28

Thanks

Horace and Kathy
Hi,
Look at the thread "Manche, dept 50" overhere.
for CHERBOURG (29AA17)
P Grand Perroquet
P harbour “Le Bequet”
P port de plaisance
P Espace de Loisirs “Collignoin-Tourlaville”

You could also try some nice spots on the coast east (> Cap de la Hague) and west (> Pointe de Barfleur) from Cherbourg only 10 to 20 minutes away
eg Gréville is a nice spot and also Auderville

marymo
12-06-2009, 11:10

Thanks

Horace and Kathy

Onlyl now reading your post and you have probably returned but thought I would share anyway:

Valognes is 17km from Cherbourg on the Caen Road - there are two aires there - one in village across from Lidl supermarket, parking is free and water is E2. The Second aire is at Elephant Bleu - there is a self service laundry there which is great when you are travelling home as all the washing is done!.

t&s
13-06-2009, 20:10
we used to use auchan at the top of the hill just off the new bypass out of town
Avenue Banque à Genêts, 50470 Glacerie (La), France‎ - 02 33 44 72 12‎
quiet now the bypass is there
but no longer use cherbourge as britany are the most expensive channel crossing there is
as we live near poole we find that ld lines from portsmouth to le havre much cheaper and less miles when going south the best route for us especialy if we have to go to see friends in paris or even eurodisney

John Dough
04-09-2009, 13:57
Personally, if I were heading south at that time I would go a couple of hours and stop at a supermarche at Averanches or Granville:)

Also a nice free one in Valonges opposite Lidl and another at the Elephant blue car wash and self service laundry but is a little more difficult to find so just follow the signs for Sottovast the first turn right after the Carrefour supermarket through the industrial estate and at the T junction turn left and it is on your right stayed there a few times but nobody on site to take the fee.Has full facilities inc electric hook up and is quiet at night.
This is only about 20 minutes from Cherbourg and is safe and secure.

grath
04-09-2009, 14:02
Also a nice free one in Valonges opposite Lidl and another at the Elephant blue car wash.
This is only about 30 minutes from Cherbourg and is safe and secure.

I know Valognes, when I was trucking we would fuel up at the AS24 site there:D

grath
04-09-2009, 14:10
but no longer use cherbourge as britany are the most expensive channel crossing there is

And they favour the French and pack you in like sardines.:eek::eek:
I don't like them either but years ago when they first started and until the early 90s they were great.:D

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS