PDA

View Full Version : GO-Box in Austria

boltonlad
22-05-2009, 13:25
We are not far off taking to the roads of Europe in the next week or so, and I came across this on the Austrian tourism web site. (http://www.austria.info/xxl/_site/uk/_area/417074/_subArea/417127/campingplaetze.html)

It seems to be a very good (though expensive) toll system for the Austrian motorways.

We were thinking of trying to avoid the Austrian motorways in view of the cost, particularly as the other roads appear to be very good, and go through some fantastic scenery.

Jacques le foot
22-05-2009, 15:20
Hi Boltonlad, I believe you only need a 'go-box' if you are over 3.5 tonne. We went through Austria on a Vignette that you can purchase at the services/garage on any road approaching the Austrian border...can't quite remember how much that was, but it wasn't very expensive.
Have a good trip,

Jackie ;)

barnybg
28-09-2009, 20:43
A bit late in answering but information anyway, 7 euro is the vignette (road tax)also same in Hungary,usually sold at service stations near the entry border or at the border,make sure you get one..........500 euro fine i think !
All the services are great through Germany and Austria,most have showers at the toilets in the restaurant area,cant remember how much approx 1 euro but you have a ticket which you can redeem at the cafe/restaurant,easy driving.
I know it's not perfect but you can stay a night/day at these no problem and their every 35 kms or so,i would sugest you NOT stay at the 'pull-ins' if possible as some are not lit,very quiet,a little isolated and begging for problems/trouble,always go where there's loads of people 24 hrs,a little noisy perhaps but safe,pull down by the truckers parking,not too far away from the petrol and cafe and you can have a safe environment ...
Even Hungary is a nice run with good roads,not sure about stopping though,i have but only as above.
Romania i have drove straight through except for getting fuel,most roads are good,resurfacing road along the Danube near to Serbia on the way to Bulgaria..

vera
29-09-2009, 10:48
We toured Austria and Germany in February /March for 2 weeks visiting the Ski Resorts we only used the A roads as our van is upgraded to 4 ton we found it very easy to get around avoiding the motorways. We have the Bord Atlas which gives you the list of Stellplatze sites you can stay at.A lot of the camp sites have an area just at the entrance to the site where you can stay from 6pm until 9 or 10am for approx 10euro some included electric and some had metres, all of them allowed you to use the toilet and showers on site.We found that with this and Camping Cheques from the Caravan Club that gave use cheaper ferry prices we had our cheapest Ski Holiday yet.Nearly all the small villages had parking at the bottom of the lifts.

David & Ann
29-09-2009, 12:22
We are not far off taking to the roads of Europe in the next week or so, and I came across this on the Austrian tourism web site. (http://www.austria.info/xxl/_site/uk/_area/417074/_subArea/417127/campingplaetze.html)

It seems to be a very good (though expensive) toll system for the Austrian motorways.

We were thinking of trying to avoid the Austrian motorways in view of the cost, particularly as the other roads appear to be very good, and go through some fantastic scenery.

You can travel anywhere in Europe without paying the Toll. Just keep of the Highway, use the A or B roads and you won't have a problem. Make sure to have time on your hands. If you need to get from A to B quick then you gotta pay up.

Belgian
29-09-2009, 19:00
You can travel anywhere in Europe without paying the Toll. Just keep of the Highway, use the A or B roads and you won't have a problem. Make sure to have time on your hands. If you need to get from A to B quick then you gotta pay up.

Keep away from the toll-roads, use the 'old' nationals. You pay nothing, see more, enjoy more. No hurry, no stress, take time. What should we need more ? ;)

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS